View Full Version : Minimus 11 Speakers Today

StarMover
02-12-2007, 04:32 PM
Dammit, I just couldn't walk past them. A pair of black Minimus 11 compact bookshelf-sized speakers with flush-fitting metal grills.. $14 at the thrift. :yes:

I normally am able to pass up Radio Shack speakers, but these just looked so worthy of becoming my shop speakers. Very heavy and compact for their size. They even have wall mounting hardware on the back.

Anyone else have an opinion on Minimus speakers? :scratch2:

shrinkboy
02-12-2007, 07:22 PM
they will be great for your intended purpose

TrexT
02-13-2007, 04:10 PM
I just picked up a pair at Salvation Army in silver today They looked so well built and for $15 I snatched them up also.

I have them working now and I'm somewhat dissappointed in the lack of bass and lower mids. The highs aren't anything special either but aren't too annoying :sigh:

Oh well, $15 lesson learned:tears:

sloppy
02-13-2007, 06:26 PM
I picked up a pair of Minimus 7s for 4.50 at a thrift store, and was pretty much blown away by how good they sounded for their size when hooked up to my HK AVR40. I really, really liked them. They became the bedroom speakers hooked up to a cheap JVC BPC where they don't sound quite as good, but definitely better than the vintage HKs they replaced.

Steve O
02-13-2007, 08:04 PM
I just picked up a pair at Salvation Army in silver today They looked so well built and for $15 I snatched them up also.

I have them working now and I'm somewhat dissappointed in the lack of bass and lower mids. The highs aren't anything special either but aren't too annoying :sigh:

Oh well, $15 lesson learned:tears:

Curious reaction to these. I picked up mine in silver at a flea mkt for $5.00 the pair. My reaction is that the highs are a little rolled off but the bass was surprisingly robust. Overall a pleasant if somewhat coloured sound.

Mine are up against a wall in my kitchen and are used as remotes for my kitchen radio. The radio has high output impedance so I think these speakers were designed for wall placement and for use with lower cost mating equipment. Regardless, @ $5.00, they're throwaway...that's why they're in the kitchen. I consider myself fortunate to have found them before the local ebay flippers did. They'd probably cost someone at least $10 + shipping had the flippers found them before me.

TrexT
02-13-2007, 09:50 PM
Steve, I might have been mistaken about the 11's. After I read your post I played around with the placement and whatcha know it does sound better up against a wall. The loudness button also made a huge difference. :yes:

I don't feel so bad now. Thanks

PioneerGuy75
02-13-2007, 11:11 PM
What is the difference between the "7"'s and "11"'s?

sloppy
02-13-2007, 11:17 PM
Curious reaction to these. I picked up mine in silver at a flea mkt for $5.00 the pair. My reaction is that the highs are a little rolled off but the bass was surprisingly robust. Overall a pleasant if somewhat coloured sound.

Mine are up against a wall in my kitchen and are used as remotes for my kitchen radio. The radio has high output impedance so I think these speakers were designed for wall placement and for use with lower cost mating equipment. Regardless, @ $5.00, they're throwaway...that's why they're in the kitchen. I consider myself fortunate to have found them before the local ebay flippers did. They'd probably cost someone at least $10 + shipping had the flippers found them before me.

On ebay they go for $40 and up from the looks of things. The highs and imaging sounded fantastic to me, but then I was comparing them to what I usually listen with, Cerwin Vega D-7s. Not exactly the shining star of crisp, clear highs and mids.

Steve O
02-13-2007, 11:54 PM
Based on your previous post, the sound you describe belongs to the 7 not the 11 and it's not surprising. The 7 uses a 4" "woofer" and something like a 3/4" impregnated cloth dome tweeter. The 11 has ~ 5" woofer and ~1-1/2" cone tweeter in a box about 4X the volume of the 7. The 11 is also more efficient.

My experience is that the 7 does indeed have a more extended high end compared to the 11 but the low end is truly MIA. Overall I don't care for the hi-end/lo-end balance of the 7. The 11 has a hint of a low end that I think couples nicely with its limited high end. I wouldn't be surprised if this balance was intended.

TrexT
02-14-2007, 12:06 AM
I never had the 7's so I'll take your word for it. There sure is a lot of hype for those 7's which always kept me from getting them. :no:

These 11's do have a nice soundstage and image well like the previous poster mentioned. The more I listen to them the more I like them.

I'll keep these 11's for my shop in the shed for now.

kfa888
02-14-2007, 01:10 AM
There sure is a lot of hype for those 7's which always kept me from getting them. :no:

Your not missing anything. They are the top 2/3rds of an OK speaker.

marantz_marc
02-14-2007, 08:21 AM
when I first got my my minimus 7w's I was disapointed with pretty much the complete lack of bass. I hooked them up to my computer and thought they were really only good for near field listening. I was amazed at how well they imaged. I paid 8.00 for those. then I came across a realistic sub also in walnut finish for 15.00. I thought what the heck it couldn't hurt for that price. let me tell you what a difference that sub made. It sounded so good I pulled out of my office and hooked them up to my dvd player and that combo made for one heck of a 2 channel HT setup. I had them about 4 or 5 feet apart and I never wished I had a center channel hooked up. I'm tempted to get 3 more and make a 5.1 system.

alpine
01-14-2013, 03:50 PM
I have a pair of Minimus 11's in an OLD SCHOOL somewhat elaborate office system. My equipment is all Mitsubishi, a Mitsubishi DA-F20 tuner, DA-P20 preamp, and a DA-A10 amplifier. This is a solid setup. The 11's are still a bit bass shy. But sound clean.
At 100 watts per channel this far exceeds the max on the 11's, but being at work i can't play it too loud anyway.
I like them and they appear to be somewhat rare.

mashaffer
01-15-2013, 12:53 AM
The 11s were a nice piece of kit. I always preferred them to the 7s, or just about any of their minis in fact. Good balance and decent image IMO.

mike

Mystery
01-15-2013, 09:58 AM
The woofers are very fragile.
I send them low frequency signal at low wattage and they bottomed out and probably spider has come off loose. :eek:

MannyE
01-15-2013, 10:14 AM
I can vouch for the 7s having picked up 4 of them at one of Radio Shack's clearnace sales many years ago. I always liked them and used them for computer speakers, etc. 7s always gave me a "bang for the buck" thrill.

If you have 4 of them, you can do the "stacked Advent" trick of putting one on top of the other upside down and wired in series for a very decent 4 ohm speaker.

I think it was in 2001 when I did that. Back then someone was making a bracket to do just that...I never saw it, but I used some double sided foam tape and surprised the heck out of a lot of people with how good those speakers sounded in that configuration.

I was using a MMF5 into a Foreplay and Paramour monobolcks into the minimus 7s until I got the Horneshoppe horns I still use today.

alpine
04-15-2013, 02:28 PM
Dammit, I just couldn't walk past them. A pair of black Minimus 11 compact bookshelf-sized speakers with flush-fitting metal grills.. $14 at the thrift. :yes:

I normally am able to pass up Radio Shack speakers, but these just looked so worthy of becoming my shop speakers. Very heavy and compact for their size. They even have wall mounting hardware on the back.

Anyone else have an opinion on Minimus speakers? :scratch2:

The Minimus 11&12 are a different animal then the 7 and much more rare.
I have a pair in my office powered by a viantage Mitsubishi setup at 100 watts per side. I also have a passive 12 inch Realistic subwoofer,sounds very
good indeed. The 11 and 12's main difference over the 7 is they sound larger, midrange performance is their strength.

djwhy60
04-15-2013, 02:43 PM
ANYTHING from the SHACK is good in my book!!

mhardy6647
04-15-2013, 03:39 PM
ANYTHING from the SHACK is good in my book!!

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1334&d=1133018549

Illusions
04-15-2013, 04:12 PM
I have 4 pairs of Minimus 7s...lol and Optimus Pro 7...

Err... I love their sound.

Ed in Tx
04-15-2013, 04:20 PM
Ah yes.. Minimus 11s... twp pairs here. I have one pair hooked up to the TV in the bedroom. The other pair I use as test speakers but currently hooked up to an old ACDelco FM-AM Stereo radio with EQ and Cassette out of a '92 Cadillac so I can listen to 1400 KGVL-AM, an oldies station in Greenville TX that still broadcasts in AM Stereo.

Mofi
04-15-2013, 04:45 PM
I remember that the 7's were pretty well thought of when they came out. I bought a white pair years ago and still have them laying around here some place. They were competing against similar model Visonik Davids and ADS models. They held their own very well.

I got some of that sticky, thick rubber stuff and some fluff from P.E, pulled the drivers and coated the inside with rubber and stuffed some fluff in there. That smoothed them out noticably and cost almost nothing. Lots of speaker for $50 retail in the day.