View Full Version : Vintage Magnavox FIELD COIL Speaker find.

SixCats!
02-19-2007, 08:04 PM
Hi all,

Yesterday, I found a pair of MAGNAVOX model 12C1310 (Ohms 250) speakers from an old (circa 40's ?) Model 155B Series MAGNAVOX REGENCY SYMPHONY Console. The Speakers are in BEAUTIFUL condition and cleaned up nicely! I am not sure if these 12" Speakers are both full range or not. They were in the Console "one atop the other" with a MESS of wiring connected to each driver from the amp(s). The backs of the field coil covers reads that they are BOTH model 12C1310's, however, the numbers on the baskets are not identical (although they do share some of the same numbers) i.e.

232-63(6) and 232-63(4)
5828 (15) and 5828(69)
ID28 (15) and ID 28 (69)

The cone #'s are 426 16 and 413 G13
I wonder if they are indeed both the same speaker but, one is wired for BASS ? The cone paper color is more Black on one speaker while the other is more Gray. I must confess, I am veeery CONFUSED by all the wiring! These speakers are NOTHING like my (stright forward) GE 1201's. I tested the drivers and they both appear to work well. I just need to understand how these bad boys work and if they could be used in a FULL RANGE system IF they are indeed both full range speakers. Oooh, if anyone would like see pixs of these oldies, just drop me a line at Mainebowman@hotmail.com and I'll forward the pixs to you.
Thanks for any help.

Regards,
Tom Patrick aka SixCats!

SixCats!
02-20-2007, 10:51 PM
Hi all,

Well, this much I have learned. The Speakers came from a circa 1948 console which sold for $400.00. Man, that sure sounds like a LOT of money in 1948!

Regards,
SixCats!

Brad Muller
02-21-2007, 02:11 AM
$400.00 had to be a lot of $$$$ back then. The speakers ought to be worth something. Brad

SixCats!
02-21-2007, 08:13 AM
Hi Brad,

Yep! No doubt about it, $400.00 is still a LOT of money in my book! lol.
In 1948...geeeeze...I suspect one could buy a nice used car for $400.00
Now all I have to do is figure out how Field Coil speakers work. These old Magnavox Speakers are truly in excellent condition!

Regards,
SixCats! aka Tom

GordonW
02-21-2007, 04:37 PM
:worthless

:D :D :D

Regards,
Gordon.

Blue Shadow
02-21-2007, 05:24 PM
In 1948 the avg cost of a NEW car was 1250 so 400 in 48 would buy a very nice used car. that same 400 is worth about 3360 today, wow that was an expensive unit, 1/3rd the cost of a car.

SixCats!
02-21-2007, 05:57 PM
Hi all,

OK Gordon, pixs on the way to you! BLUE, thank you for that information!
Man, 1/3 the way to a new Car! Unreal!

Regards,
SixCats!

SixCats!
02-21-2007, 06:10 PM
Hi Gordon,

WHOOPS! Gordon, please contact me at MAINEBOWMAN@HOTMAIL.COM
and I will forward you the Magnavox pixs.

Regards,
Tom Patrick aka SixCats!

Captain Scary
02-21-2007, 07:01 PM
Nice rug

Captain Scary
02-21-2007, 07:06 PM
Miss fire,had to resize it

Captain Scary
02-21-2007, 07:12 PM
This is one like it,mayb

pilotprose
02-21-2007, 07:15 PM
Quick question, when you said field coil, are you sure that these speakers were not wired into the power supply of the unit? The reason I ask, is because some of the older units, including the stuff in the early 30's, created the magnet for the speakers by using a coil that was actually the choke in the tube power supply. The reason they did this was two fold. First, magnets were not good then and did not have the "gauss" of todays units. Second, it was cheap. Third, when you did have an audio passage that did have a lot of bass, the power supply would draw more current and the bass response of the speaker would be greater, giving it a much desired and more mellow tone. Polk speakers and some others still use the same principle and they sound quite nice. I had an old Philco, that when I used to listen to a copy of the Platters, Smoke gets in your Eyes, on the harmony vocals, it was SWEET! Just track the wiring back, I am sure there will be a octal plug (may or may not) that goes into the chassis, which will be wired into the power supply. Easy way to find out if it is, unplug the speakers and if the unit dies, it is part of the initial power supply. Oh, these were not full range, but they may have had bass and treble controls anyway. Remember, 1940's, we were still doing MONO! Be careful, there is voltage here!

markus
02-21-2007, 07:29 PM
the key I think will be to figure out what model amp went with those speakers, and then grabbing a schematic from Sam's Photofacts. This way, you can figure out what voltage that field coil wants to see, and then just build a power supply.

Alternately, once you figure out what what amp they should use, track down the amps in question and use them as the gods of magnavox intended :D

Steve O
02-21-2007, 08:18 PM
I have a Magnavox console of about the same era awaiting restoration. Speaker config is the same with 2x12" fieldcoils w/whizzers in vertical alignment. Although one could argue the point, these are pretty much full range speakers or at least extended range. Sounded pretty good when the thing was demoed for me prior to purchase.

On my Magnavox the field coils are part of the power supply so I suspect that this is the same situation for SixCat's speakers too. A schematic with voltages will be very useful in getting the speakers operating properly. This vintage is early enough that SAMS may not have it. If so Riders probably will, that's where I found documentation for mine.

markus
02-21-2007, 08:45 PM
On my Magnavox Regency, the woofers are side by side; one field coil, one PM; I was told that the FC one plays lower than the PM, but in the 'full range' area they overlap . . .

they look pretty much the same, except the FC one has a beefier motor assembly, which may account for the (supposed) frequency seperation between drivers . .

SixCats!
02-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Hi all,

Hi Pilot...yes...I do believe you are correct and the speakers were wired to the Amp. The problem is...I don't have the console/amp, I only have the speakers. At this point, I'm not sure what I am going to do. I may have to put the Magnavox Speakers aside as a future project. Even if I did have the amp(s) I just can't afford to have another vintage amp overhauled at this time. That being said, I have a thread posted at the FULL RANGE DRIVER forum and a very nice gentleman by the name of Gaston provide me with several links on the subject of my Magnavox (including) a nice pix of this 1948console. I have yet to print out this Magnavox information and read up on the subject of Field Coil speakers but, I will soon. Hi Steve O. Ummm...so your Magnavox Speakers have Whizzer cones eh ? I wonder why my speakers are Whizzer free ? Oooh, btw, do you have a link to the sites you mentioned ? Markus...good advice on the Amps! Perhaps I should see if I can find the original amps as Gods of Magnavox intended!

Regards,
SixCats!

gonefishin
02-22-2007, 09:23 AM
Hi sixcats,

If your not going to use them...why not put them on craigslist?

;)

dan

SixCats!
02-22-2007, 09:27 AM
Hey hey Dan!

Well, I never said that I am NOT going to use them lol. It's just that I have several project happening and the Magnavox's will have to wait it's turn.

Regards,
SixCats!

markus
02-22-2007, 09:37 AM
don't you listen to Dan - HOOOOOOAAAAAAARD them ! yeeeees . . .HOARD . . . . my precious . . .

Steve O
02-23-2007, 12:07 AM
... Hi Steve O. Ummm...so your Magnavox Speakers have Whizzer cones eh ? I wonder why my speakers are Whizzer free ? Oooh, btw, do you have a link to the sites you mentioned ? ...

I looked at the site that Gaston had linked and the console shown there is apparently one year earlier than my console. The cabinet and OA features are the same except that FM tuner was a separate affair in the older version and is located below the main AM/SW tuner/control section. On mine all bands are on one chassis and the spot for the FM tuner is an open shelf. I assume this also accounts for the differences in speakers. Since progress was rapid back then, each year brought improvements inc better HF performance of speakers. I tore apart another Magnavox regency of a few years later than the one I now own and it included PM speakers in same config but with a university HF horn and a bi-amp arrangement. Wish I hadn't torn it apart now but hindsight is 20:20. Did score a pair of mint GE/Mullard 5AR4s for tot of $20 which is reason I bought it in first place. they were subbed for the orig 5U4s.

As for links to sites, there aren't any really or are too many to mention . SAMS is a schematic service that is still in business but you can get copies from most large libraries. Riders is also a schematic service but long out of business. They too can be located at libraries. Both are avail from numerous on line schematic services as well as epay.

gonefishin
02-24-2007, 12:16 AM
Hey hey Dan!

Well, I never said that I am NOT going to use them lol. It's just that I have several project happening and the Magnavox's will have to wait it's turn.

Regards,
SixCats!

lol...This is what I was making reference to ;) (http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=101948)

dan

SixCats!
02-24-2007, 08:48 AM
Hi Dan,

LOL, Oooooh God...I swear, this has been the week from Hell for the wife and I. We are both sooooo tired, sick, and goooofy that (in my case)
I couldn't even correctly connect wires to my Fisher 400.
I need a little "down time".

Regards,
SixCats! aka Tom Patrick