View Full Version : Fix-A-Flat,Lawn Mowers, and tire pressure.

jlindsey86
03-24-2007, 04:26 PM
My Dad's riding mower tires were all low on pressure. I was over at his place today helping him to get it ready for the season. He said he had some Fix-A-Flat and told me to put it in the tires. I dont use the stuff so I read the instructions and went at it. It says to put all that the tire will hold until the Fix-A-Flat stops flowing into the tire. So after doing all four tires I thought it seemed like the tires were bulging so I checked the pressure. I couldn't believe it over 55PSI! On a tire that calls for 14psi. Is this normal for Fix-A-Flat and could this be dangerous? it doesnt sound good to me. I told my dad about it but he did seem to care. Just dont anyone to get hurt.

OMI
03-24-2007, 04:45 PM
Hmmmm I would think the "fix-a-flat" is for tires on cars that need / require some high pressure. 55 LBS in a riding tractor seems a bit on the high side. I think the "fix-a-flat" stuff has some other stuff in the can BESIDES air that will seal a hole from the inside out (as it leaks out the hole it apparently self seals.... I would think rotating the tire until the valve stem is at the top and bleed off some pressure is in order. Also think you are supposed to drive your car (riding tractor) AFTER you put that stuff in the tire to get it spread out and NOT pooled in the bottom of the tire..

jlindsey86
03-24-2007, 04:53 PM
I checked on the can and it said that it was ok to use in lawn mowers. After I checked the pressure and it came out so high my dad did drive the mower around the yard awhile but it is obvious just by looking that the tires are very much overly inflated. I'll check the pressure again I just dont want the damn tire to blow up in my face or something. I dont know how dangerous it is, it's just that the tire calls for 14psi max, and the gauge show over 55psi, 55psi is as high as the gauge goes.

outlawmws
03-24-2007, 06:21 PM
It is dangerous, and useless too, because that shite will gum up the air valve as well.

It is best used when your done with a tire and just need to cripple back.

Your father is going to be looking at 4 new tires or tubes... maybe just new air valves if he's lucky.

Spasticteapot
03-24-2007, 06:28 PM
I NEVER use Fix-A-Flat that way on my bike.

Add just enough to fill the tire to the normal pressure, and then spin it to evenly distribute the stuff before it gums up.

Trust me on this one - it's saved my behind a few times before.

Cleve
03-24-2007, 06:37 PM
Fix a Flat designed for larger tires that hold several times more air volume than a tractor tire. Your dad is lucky that didn't explode on him -even a small tire like that could be very dangerous - especially when kneeling down by it - the face in close proximity.

Spasticteapot
03-24-2007, 06:51 PM
Fix a Flat designed for larger tires that hold several times more air volume than a tractor tire. Your dad is lucky that didn't explode on him -even a small tire like that could be very dangerous - especially when kneeling down by it - the face in close proximity.

I dunno about that - riding mowers can have large wheels, especially in the rears. After all, the original Mini had wheels about that small, and I don't see any "DO NOT USE ON MINI" labels, eh?

Still...that's far too much pressure.

brainsmasher
03-24-2007, 06:57 PM
After years working in a bike shop spring was when we made the money on tires and tubes. Over the months of the tubes sitting unused the rubber innertube " breathes " and loses air pressure. Should just take a dose of fresh air to get them up to snuff. If you want to use a flat prevention tool, look at most any hardware store, bike shop or walmart for a product called slime. Read the directions and the stuff really works. Fix a flat is for late night, backroad emergencies for the most part.

jlindsey86
03-24-2007, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I bled most of it out and got the pressure back down to where it is supposed to be. I never have used that Fix-A-Flat crap but my dad is the kind of guy you can tell anything too so I just usually do what he says. I had no idea it would over load the tire like that though.

What I thought was kinda odd though was the front (smaller) tires call for 14 psi, and the rear (much larger) tires call for 12 psi. Oh well, they are all where they are supposed to be now.

G series
03-27-2007, 12:55 AM
every time i've had to use fix-a-flat, it was never with succesful results, it never stopped the leak, just leaked out the pinhole and made a mess

Mark W.
03-27-2007, 01:54 AM
I once painted a 40 dodge coupe with an air brush power by a half dozen worn out old tires pumped up at my uncles farm to about 100PSI. Took four trips to get a couple thin coats on but it worked.