View Full Version : MA6100 - opinions?

nasadowsk
03-25-2007, 10:54 PM
Ok, I need an integrated amp to power a set of Polk Monitor 10s, and I'm thinking of getting a used MA6100. Was wondering if anyone had any opionions on these. I'm thinking this way instead of a new Rotel or NAD....

two dot
03-26-2007, 01:23 AM
Whatever you do, get the Mac, you will never be sorry.

I did a lot of searching when looking for my first Mac integrated, I ended up with the MA 6200 and love it in ways I can't even describe. It has changed the way I listen to music. It is just like everyone says... the sound is so sweet an addictive.

I am listening to BB King right now and its fabulous.

I also has NAD before.

The control knobs of the newer 6200 had some pretty substantial upgrades, you may want to look into one of these.

Stephen

Jeep23
03-26-2007, 07:04 PM
Whatever you do, get the Mac, you will never be sorry.

It has changed the way I listen to music. It is just like everyone says... the sound is so sweet an addictive.

Stephen

I would completely agree. I currently just purchased a MA6300 and i really enjoy it. The intregated is powering my Polk LSi25 and i am really impressed with the sound. hope this helps. Tim:music:

Victor
03-26-2007, 07:54 PM
I also recomend the MA6200. :yes: There was a MA6200 at the local stereo shop and I was amazed at how good it sounded. The MA6200 really holds up well in comparison with new electronics that would cost substantially more. I have not heard a MA6100 so I can't comment on that one.

Victor

two dot
03-26-2007, 08:14 PM
Even though I have a brand new MA 6300 on the way, I cannot imagine it will sound any better than my 20 year old 6200.

The benefits I see are... XLR inputs, LED's, remote....

AND THOSE PRETTY BLUE EYES!!!!!!!

:music: :music: :music: :music: :music: :music:

Victor
03-26-2007, 08:21 PM
Even though I have a brand new MA 6300 on the way, I cannot imagine it will sound any better than my 20 year old 6200.

The benefits I see are... XLR inputs, LED's, remote....

AND THOSE PRETTY BLUE EYES!!!!!!!

:music: :music: :music: :music: :music: :music:
A worthwhile upgrade. :yes: I have been impressed with the MA6300 every time I have heard it.:thmbsp:

I was thinking of getting a MA6300 for my bedroom but it's just too big.

Victor

william.keith
03-26-2007, 08:25 PM
I was thinking of getting a MA6300 for my bedroom but it's just too big.

Victor

Bedroom or MA6300?

Victor
03-26-2007, 08:33 PM
Bedroom or MA6300?
Bedroom too small. :tears:
MA6300 too big. :banana:

Victor

Mystic
03-26-2007, 08:37 PM
I have a 6200 and love it. I had a 6100 and loved it, too.

Brian
03-26-2007, 09:30 PM
The 6100 is an interesting amp. Not up to say a C26 and MC2100 combo when used as an integrated though very competent. Separate them and use it either as a preamp or a power amp and mate it with another Mc piece and as a preamp or power amp it does show it can do it. Never figured out if the ps was slightly restricted or there was a bit of synergy lacking between the 2 components.

I found it to be a nice enough integrated but in some ways preferred the 5100 to it. Sadly the 5100 does not have the preamp output and therefore restricted as to system growth.

two dot
03-26-2007, 10:08 PM
Of course, it is the sound that I love the most about the 6200.

Listening to Steely Dan, two angainst nature, right now. Love it!

But what is really amazing is the quality feel of the controls. I love the detents in the volume... I will miss that on the new 6300.

dunlap1
03-27-2007, 01:43 AM
I had a 6100 but kept clipping and burning out the tweeters and mids on my Mac XR5's. I traded in for the 6200 in 1980 and this amp is still running fine and plays every single day!

lissjw
03-28-2007, 12:58 AM
I've had my 6100 for 30 years now. Love it. Never heard the seperates so I can't say whats better. All I know is this unit has always outperformed any non mac I ever heard. Have had channels dropping out on me every 10 years and sure enough my right channel is acting up right on time as I reach the 30 year mark. My volume is slightly weaker lately also. I guess its time for a refurbishing. Any suggestions from you guys on who to have this done by? The factory or an authorized repair joint?

GolfingOwl
03-29-2007, 01:16 PM
I've had a MA6100 for about 3 years now. It was my first piece of real audio gear (versus Best Buy crap). Bought it online from a dealer in Chicago. After about a year, one channel started distorting so I sent it to McIntosh to have it fixed and reconditioned. They did a great job and it's a nice sounding integrated. Really has a nice 70's-type sound. I think it sounds much better than most of the new lower-cost (sub-$1,500) SS intergrated's I've heard. Maybe not as detailed but certaily much warmer.

I was using B&W 601S2's with it but I recently purchased Von Schweiker VR-2's and it has no problem driving them. I may replace the MA6100 in a year or so (probably move to separates) but if I do I won't get rid of it.

two dot
03-29-2007, 01:49 PM
I've had my 6100 for 30 years now. Love it. Never heard the seperates so I can't say whats better. All I know is this unit has always outperformed any non mac I ever heard. Have had channels dropping out on me every 10 years and sure enough my right channel is acting up right on time as I reach the 30 year mark. My volume is slightly weaker lately also. I guess its time for a refurbishing. Any suggestions from you guys on who to have this done by? The factory or an authorized repair joint?

There are two great outfits that advertise here, and both will do a GREAT job taking care of your 6100 for you.

Scrol down, you will see them listed. Many here, including myself, have had lots of work done by these guys. You won't be disapointed.

lissjw
03-29-2007, 06:31 PM
I have noticed dewick talked about very favorably. Before this forum came t my attention I would never consider sending my amp to be repaired anywhere but the factory, I thought what a sweet scam these guys could run, people sending them mac gear with no way of getting it back. So needles to say the rave reviews here have made me rethink that. I emailed Mcintosh and they suggested R&B electronics or is it (B&R ?) in Redwood. If anybody knows anything about them please let me know. I would prefer to drop off the unit rather than ship it. A 2 hour drive is well worth it if they are good, honest and affordable. Right now I don't know.

CometCKO
03-30-2007, 10:10 PM
I have a 6100 that I've had since new. It's been a great amp, survived my college and now my daughter's college years, never a hiccup.:music:

Should be fine with your Polk speakers. If you can find a 6200 it's enough better to search out. That said, I think you'd be pretty happy with the 6100 anyway.

HTH

Frank

amason3
04-04-2007, 10:04 PM
The 6100 sounds great, especially for the price (between $400-$700). Far better than any of the new gear in that price range.

roseskunk
04-04-2007, 11:35 PM
"Any suggestions from you guys on who to have this done by? The factory or an authorized repair joint?"

i'm just back from visiting terry and picked up two receivers. he's a great guy, does wonderful work. you won't be disappointed, though you're right, if you can avoid shipping, it's worth the drive. i'm 600 miles from terry and i drove there!

i think the 6100 or 6200 would be great. buy it used, use it for ten years, sell it for a profit. you won't do that with NAD...i have a 4100 and love mine, auditioned a 275 this past week...mmmaaayybbeee...

lissjw
04-08-2007, 12:39 AM
Here's one you will love. I decided to go with Terry to refurbish the MA6100.
Got the knobs off ok. While pulling the glass panel off it hung up and you guessed it by now, shattered in my hands. I could have cried, tried not to cuss, no dog to kick, it was my birthday, what a bummer! I called Terry and whined to him about it. He was understanding and matter of factly said he would get me a new one. Well there go my savings, but the new glass should look nice as some bubbles had begun to appear on the old one.

wpines
04-08-2007, 06:32 AM
The 6100 is an interesting amp. Not up to say a C26 and MC2100 combo when used as an integrated though very competent. Separate them and use it either as a preamp or a power amp and mate it with another Mc piece and as a preamp or power amp it does show it can do it. Never figured out if the ps was slightly restricted or there was a bit of synergy lacking between the 2 components.

I found it to be a nice enough integrated but in some ways preferred the 5100 to it. Sadly the 5100 does not have the preamp output and therefore restricted as to system growth.

Brian, I have a 5100 and think the sound is wonderful. What are you refering to when you say to use the 6100 as a "seperate". On the 6100 is there a preamp out, to use the 6100's preamp with another amp? Is there also a preamp in to use another preamp with the 6100's amp?

wajobu
04-08-2007, 10:45 AM
i think the 6100 or 6200 would be great. buy it used, use it for ten years, sell it for a profit. you won't do that with NAD...i have a 4100 and love mine, auditioned a 275 this past week...mmmaaayybbeee...

:lurk:

roseskunk
04-08-2007, 10:23 PM
yeah wajobu, i know... but i'm also getting a new bike, a tu-719, a pair of ar3's and hopefully a new job to pay for all of it. that means moving... oh, yeah another orvis bamboo rod. getting the 275 means new speakers, a cdp and new cables. significantly adds to the price... i can't, i can't, i can't... and hell, i really love the lowly 4100. terry put in new bulbs, she looks and sounds like new!