View Full Version : Console Stereo

speakerlust
04-01-2007, 07:06 PM
When I was a teen there was a video arcade that I used to frequent
after I finished my paper route. The music was supplied by an old
giant of a console stereo what was just blasting away and made the
cool shady small wharehouse converted into an arcade sheer heaven to me.
Seemed like the best songs always were on just as I arrived?
That was almost 27 years ago...............
Here's my question, Why did those old console stereo's sound soooo good?

Blue Shadow
04-01-2007, 09:05 PM
Fully matched system, no mixing of components that did not work well together.

VinylHanger
04-01-2007, 09:49 PM
A lot of it has to do with time and memories and a place in our hearts. Most of the consoles I have heard are mediocre at best, some are pretty good, but I haven't heard any that would take it to my main or even secondary gear. However, the place and time can bring back memories of wonderful music and good times and that is what matters. I think the speakers are the weak point in most of them since when the amps are pulled out they sound wonderful.... usually.

However, as for looks a console can be beautiful, I have a 60's SS Contemporary Motorola console that is 7 feet long with sweeping leg supports that just exudes 60's sophistication and martini charm. It takes up a prominent spot in the front room, or would if it wasn't for the 4-5 pairs of speakers stacked in front of it. :D

I do have a Fisher console that when I listen to baseball on the AM dial it is like being there, it is the most incredible thing I have heard. In fact I am glad you posted this, it is about time to get it ready for spring. :banana:

speakerlust
04-01-2007, 10:09 PM
There is an old console on craigslist that is in the free section that
is 7 feet long right now and I thought of picking it up and reloading it?
maybe a few items from parts express along with a little consultation
from them as to what would sound best in the console? I'd want a
new amp and speakers. I just love the old beasts:bash: :twak: :bash: :tears:

outlawmws
04-01-2007, 10:25 PM
Depending on what it was loaded with, you might not need to reload much. I know some consoles WERE good sounding, but they weren’t at that point trying to get a system to "Image" like we do with separates. Back then it was "Fill the room with sound", witness the speakers were often in the front and in the ends of the cabinets.

Yes, some of the speakers were marginal, and with ventilated speaker enclosures (not ported) a lot of compromises were made. Trying to evaluate a console today is hard, as few have been re-ferbed with re-capping and such, so how could you give then a fair test?

I agree some speakers need replaced, but I’d guess the mids and tweeters are the weakest links in the chain on the higher end units.

I’d love to have the space, time and $$$ to restore a Magnavox Grand to it’s former glory, but it would need a room of it’s own to be truly appreciated.

rca2000
04-01-2007, 10:43 PM
Can you post a link?

speakerlust
04-01-2007, 10:47 PM
Thanks Guys,
So OUTLAWMWS, the The Magnavox Grand is your favorite eh?

I would like to know what everyone's favorite console was?
Does anyone have one still?:tears: :tears: :tears:

gadget73
04-01-2007, 10:47 PM
Some of the amps at least in the old consoles were actually not bad. Seems like many of the folks on here in the tube audio section (including myself actually) have amps snatched from old console systems. I personally like consoles for their visual appeal and the 'fill the room' type sound. Some of them were quite junky though to be sure.

speakerlust
04-01-2007, 10:51 PM
How many watts did the amps put out?:sigh: :sigh: :sigh:

tentoze
04-01-2007, 11:01 PM
Can you post a link?

Not outside Dollars & Sense forum.

outlawmws
04-01-2007, 11:30 PM
Thanks Guys,
So OUTLAWMWS, the The Magnavox Grand is your favorite eh?

I would like to know what everyone's favorite console was?
Does anyone have one still?:tears: :tears: :tears:

I haven’t actually heard one, but the inside guts pics I have seen of the Concert Grand with it's dual tube amps, and the reports of it being THE TOTL console are very impressive. And in the pics I have seen it’s just gorgeous. It's certainly the one I would want to have.

My parents bought a SS Magnavox in about 1965, and it was pretty good, it still sits where it has always has sat in my mom’s LR, having been moved ONLY to re-carpet the room. It's a dust collector now, but as furniture is still in pristine condition.

I grew up with it, and my dad bought it specifically to play his Jim Reeves record collection (He is a huge JR fan) on, He played those records for hours when he was kicking back, He used to lie on the floor before that room finally got furniture. That was the room no one was allowed in unless it was an occasion, (Xmas) or company was over, or Dad was using it as a listening room. Funny, all these years later, it's still the same, except the room is no longer used as a listening room...

outlawmws
04-01-2007, 11:33 PM
How many watts did the amps put out?:sigh: :sigh: :sigh:

that is all over the map. comonly 6, 12, 30 watts depending on the amp. Talking tube consoles here.

speakerlust
04-02-2007, 12:31 AM
Hey Waiter?..............

I'll have what he's having

To me, 30 watts is plenty of power.
I am wondering if some ever put out anything like 200 or 300?
Any idea?:drunk: :butt1: :butt2: :twak:

speakerlust
04-02-2007, 01:02 AM
IT'S CONSOLE HEAVEN

GO SEE http://pjeantaud.free.fr/stereo_console/

StarMover
04-02-2007, 08:56 AM
I saw a neat console last week, I think magnavox, that has two large stryofoam cooler-looking speaker enclosures. I think each contains a woofer and a horn. Anybody know anything about those?

speakerlust
04-02-2007, 11:04 AM
Styrofoam coolers?:beerchug:

Cool:banana:

Must be a campin console?:ntwrthy: :ntwrthy: :ntwrthy: :king:

Markw
04-02-2007, 11:20 AM
To me, 30 watts is plenty of power.
I am wondering if some ever put out anything like 200 or 300?
Any ideaWhat's the first amps that you can think of that topped 100 wpc?

Even Marantz and McIntosh, which were top of the line, maxed out with 30 - 35 wpc up until the late 60's.

speakerlust
04-02-2007, 11:32 AM
I don't remember the first amp over 100 watts per channel
but consoles were made all of the way into the "80's so ima
wunderin?.............. did they makem with a blaster in em?
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/ele/302289085.html

rackmount
04-02-2007, 11:49 AM
Hot dog! Yippee! I just love consoles:banana: Last fall I got an RCA in mint for 30$ REAL WOOD!:thmbsp: The guy I bought it from said that in 1969 he paid about four months of salary for it:sigh: The thing that irks me is the lack of info on them.

Celt
04-02-2007, 11:55 AM
I saw a neat console last week, I think magnavox, that has two large stryofoam cooler-looking speaker enclosures. I think each contains a woofer and a horn. Anybody know anything about those?
Yep. Acoustic suspension models from '68 - '72(?) 12" woofer and 4 x 10" horn.

PioneerGuy75
04-02-2007, 11:59 AM

Saw one in a thrift store long time ago...Marinally better sounding than the ones without the "coolers"

Other than that, don't know too much about 'em:music:

speakerlust
04-02-2007, 12:20 PM
DAMMIT...........................

I want a console:dammit: :dammit: :dammit: :uzi: :rant:

markus
04-02-2007, 01:14 PM
I'm digging that console website; gotta check back when he has more info up. I'm pretty addicted to consoles myself . . .mostly Magnavoxes.

Where are you located speakerlust? are you able to hit many thrift shops or yardsales ?

per the concert grande topic, I have a 1958 Magnavox which must have been the model *right before* they started referring to them as "Concert Grande". The thing is HUGE. Gotta be 6 feet long, over 3 feet high, and about 2 feet deep.

It's guts:

Stereo Preamp/Tuner
Stereo Collaro Turntable
TWO big 15 inch woofers
TWO EV 8HD horns
TWO HUGE Mono amplifers (model 150XX)

Only one of the amps is visible in the shot below . . .the center panel in front slides to reveal the preamp/tuner . . . I'm in the process of recapping the amps, and will sooner or later (probably later :D ) do the tuner too.

The amps have four 6V6 in PPP for the woofers, and a single 6V6 for the horns. integral crossver, so effectively it 'Bi-Amps' each channel. All output tubes are RCA smoked glass.

The cabinet is pretty interesting - it's in great shape considering it's about 40 years old.

check it out

speakerlust
04-02-2007, 01:35 PM
MAGNAVOX consoles rule:banana: :banana: :banana:
I love those pics. I'm drooling

I really love all consoles:yes: :yes: :yes:

I'm in Vancouver Washington:tresbon:

yes, I garage sale and CL and I just found two free consoles on Portland craigslist and emailed
both of the people but they aren't emailing me BACK!!!:pity: :pity: :pity: :sadwave:

Donny
04-02-2007, 01:52 PM
Consoles aren't hard to find but Tube consoles are! I gave away a nice maganavox ss unit and fired it up for the guy and he said he didn't care. He got it to turn into a bar. I prob find a console every moth but in the last 3years only found 2 tube consoles.

speakerlust
04-02-2007, 03:26 PM
Why can't I find one?:uzi: :blah:

OldSkool
04-02-2007, 03:33 PM
I agree with what said earlier; back in the 70s I had a friend who's family had a nice console and we cranked that thing HARD! It had rich lows and I can still hear the Aerosmith 'Live Bootleg' in my head even now!

"Train kept a-rollin', all night long......" :rockon:

outlawmws
04-02-2007, 03:45 PM
Why can't I find one?:uzi: :blah:

You’re working the right places. CL, other sale papers, (Penny saver?) Thrifts, let your friends know what you are looking for. A few end up on that auction site...

Patience Grasshopper... :D

markus
04-02-2007, 03:45 PM
speakerlust . . . young jedi . . :lazer:

you must open yourself up to the possibility of finding a toob console . . you must change : " Why cant I find one" to:

"I WILL FIND ONE!" . . you must visualize the console of you dreams - manifest it - and it will come. Think 50's magnavox, fisher, scott, ampex . . .Do this, and within a year's time, you'll be like me: Consoles stacked like cordwood in the basement.

Hit http://crazedlist.org/ and search your whole area; hit ebay and look for local pickup stuff; yardsales; 'transfer stations, even esate auctions :thmbsp:

A quick estimate - including today's score - I gots 15 . . . GEEZ . . I have issues :screwy: that doesn't count speakers & amps PULLED from consoles, or other sources . . .

speakerlust
04-02-2007, 04:00 PM
CONSOLE'S STACKED TO THE CEILING???

:yippy: :yippy: :yippy: :yippy: :yippy:

cincy
04-02-2007, 06:46 PM
About 23 years ago, the neighbor next door gave me a Philco console in limed oak, that had belonged to her grandparents. The interesting thing about it, other than the tube amp, is that it has a fairly large electrostatic speaker in a semi-circle shape. A 15 inch speaker is used for the bass. This Philco is a mono unit from the early fifties. When I got it my daughter played her "Let's Go To The Zoo" record on it, she was 5 years old and delighted to be allowed to use it. Gradually the volume faded and wasn't used by her anymore. But every once-in-awhile she would remind me that when she grew up and had her own place she would like to have it. It sits now with many items on its top.

markus
04-02-2007, 07:41 PM
that sounds like a very unique console; at least it's safely tucked away. I hope your basement or garage stays dry.

The issue could be as simple as a bad tube or deteriorated capacitor(s). Any chance you'll revive it?

I'll have to keep an eye out for early 50's Philcos now! :yes:

speakerlust
04-02-2007, 10:25 PM
I'm visualizing the perfect console so that it will come to me.........

Use the schwartz Speakerlust.............

:whip: :lazer:

cincy
04-03-2007, 12:47 AM
markus--I checked the tubes and they all checked good. So it probably is the metal can cap. Our basement is dry and hopefully stays that way. When I first saw the ess my jaw dropped I had no idea a console maker would do such a thing. The next thing that came to mind was to find another like it. I saw an ad in the paper for a Philco console--called the lady and tried to explain what I was looking for --so she said to come over and take a look at it. My son and I went to her home and it was a smaller Philco console and it had an ess also-- except a lot smaller--when I told her I was looking for the larger model- she got a little upset with me and we beat a hasty exit for the car. Often I've looked for another but no luck. So I pretty well stopped looking and when I saw the thread about consoles the whole memory was revived.

speakerlust
04-03-2007, 12:50 AM
I wonder if someone installed that unit later?

Could they have pulled a speakerlust and scabbed it in?

Does it look stock? :uzi: :lazer:

cincy
04-03-2007, 01:03 AM
speakerlust--Yes it looks very stock and seeing the smaller version at the lady's house would confirm that as factory installed. Its been over twenty years since I last checked--but I do remember seeing a long string of resistors soldered in series rising from the amp like a snake disappearing somewhere into the control receiver above. That's something else I've never seen before.

speakerlust
04-03-2007, 01:37 AM
THAT'S AMAZING!!!....................

I had the backs off of so many consoles twenty years ago+.

I never saw or heard of anything like that. I'd like to hear it play.

:drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

cincy
04-03-2007, 01:56 AM
speakerlust--I'm wondering if there is an archive site that shows most the American and Canadian consoles of the past?

Whitehall
04-03-2007, 09:25 AM
The answer is "infinite baffle."

The console has a very large internal volume and seldom are the speakers sealed but are rather open to the back. That means the diaphragms vibrate free of back pressure as they would in a sealed or ported box.

That's one good way to build a speaker if you know what you're doing.

Add a tube amp and the sound can be quite good (or mediocre or horrid, depending.)

outlawmws
04-03-2007, 10:09 AM
The answer is "infinite baffle."

The console has a very large internal volume and seldom are the speakers sealed but are rather open to the back. That means the diaphragms vibrate free of back pressure as they would in a sealed or ported box.

That's one good way to build a speaker if you know what you're doing.

Add a tube amp and the sound can be quite good (or mediocre or horrid, depending.)

I'm not sure I'd class it as an infinite baffle. While the speakers don’t have the back pressure a sealed or even a ported box have, an infinite baffle adds more to it than just no back pressure IMHO.

I have a 15” Motorola golden Voice woofer (From a console) in a designed infinite baffle, and the increase in output and clarity of bass is amazing compared to what the base woofer sounded like leaning against a bookcase in the open. The timbre is hard to descried, but at low volumes, you can feel the bass in your feet and a bit in your chest, so much that I turned the bass down on the amp. This is the Motorola 3 channel tube amp these speakers were designed for in the console

The design stands about 32” high and 36 wide made of ¾ birch ply and when music is playing, the whole board vibrates in harmony with the driver. In this use the driver is original to the amp, and the R/L speakers are modern ported Wharfedales. (See my sig)

Here is a link to my old thread and it has links to the web page I used to get the baffle design.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=60204&highlight=golden+voice

It’s been in place for a year now, over the negative comments from SWMBO. I recently covered it with gray cloth to make it more acceptable. (She still doesn’t care for it) but I think its staying as long as the 3 ch amp stays…

In any case, I think the small baffle sizes a console is limited to limit what the speakers are capable of. While I haven’t heard this 15 incher in its original console, I am of the opinion that it wouldn’t have the impact that is has in this infinite baffle.

speakerlust
04-03-2007, 10:21 AM
It all sounds very interesting to me.
Could it be that the old tube amp and speaker were actually tuned
to resonate at frequencies at the densities typical of plywood or
any of the layered veneers? How is this all possible? The sound
that you describe is what I remember, "Feeling" around the old consoles.
I want one:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :(

mhardy6647
04-03-2007, 10:56 AM
Not infinite baffles! Most consoles are open baffles, using high-Qts woofers (i.e., small motors/poorly damped LF) so that some bass response is still achieved out in the room.

The aforementioned styrofoam boxed Maggotbox 2-ways, of course, are a non-example!

speakerlust
04-03-2007, 11:04 AM
I never thought of it!
Looking at a console it is a typical open baffle design.
I always thought that open baffles were the biggest pile of junk
that could be made. I stand corrected.

mhardy6647
04-03-2007, 01:09 PM
Open baffles can be excellent -- just need the right kind of driver.

Whitehall
04-03-2007, 02:39 PM
An open baffle is an ininite baffle at the limit.

For practical purposes the limit is a function of the wavelength of the lowest frequency sound. The side walls contribute as does pushing the console against the wall. Move one out into the middle of the room and the sound will be clearly different.

mhardy6647
04-03-2007, 03:04 PM
An infinite baffle completely blocks the passage of the back wave into the listening space. An open baffle does not. The larger the baffle, the lower the cutoff frequency. Yes, I guess the infinite baffle is the limiting case of an open baffle :-)

outlawmws
04-03-2007, 03:35 PM
An open baffle is an ininite baffle at the limit.

An infinite baffle completely blocks the passage of the back wave into the listening space. An open baffle does not.
SNIP
Yes, I guess the infinite baffle is the limiting case of an open baffle :-)

I don't understant Whitehall's statement, Espesially in view of Mhardy's first statements.

An Infinite Baffle is suposed to completly block the listening side from the back side. An open baffle, as Mhardy stated, does not, so his last statement doesn't make much sense either.

My "Infinite baffle", which is a partial baffle, is supposed to by it's design, emulate a full infinite baffle.

whyaskit
04-03-2007, 03:43 PM
Found this gem earlier today, fun piece, not really sure what I will do with it. Tube RCA Victor. Not bad sound, I do not trust the turntable with my nicer records but it is working. According to the manual a seperate tape deck (R2R?) was available in order to get "stereophonic" sound.

whyaskit
04-03-2007, 03:48 PM
I don't understant Whitehall's statement, Espesially in view of Mhardy's first statements.

An Infinite Baffle is suposed to completly block the listening side from the back side. An open baffle, as Mhardy stated, does not, so his last statement doesn't make much sense either.

My "Infinite baffle", which is a partial baffle, is supposed to by it's design, emulate a full infinite baffle.

As I understand an infinite baffle, it is not in a box but the backwave will not reach the listener, so a wall with the back wave going in to another room (really, just a very large box), or outside (true infinite baffle) would be an infinite baffle.

Because the backwave of the speakers can be heard it is not infinite baffe but an open baffle.

speakerlust
04-03-2007, 04:04 PM
If this keeps up I'm going to be infinitely baffled:banana: :banana: :banana:

Why does everyone else have a console but me?
:gigglemad :gigglemad :gigglemad :gigglemad :gigglemad :gigglemad

rca2000
04-03-2007, 05:46 PM
They are easy to find around here(Console stereos).

I have several of them, including a big Zenith 1971 model SS console, that has a 15" 3-way speaker system,(with CLOSED backs)and a big amp with big germanium outs. It was the top of the Zenith line in the early '70's and when working right it can REALLY pound!!

I also have a 1964 RCA all-tube console, with P-P 6bq5 amp, and 12" open back speakers and 3" tweeters(3 for each side). And I have another Zenith SS console from 1967 or so, with 12" 3 way speakers-open back. Not too mention 2 combo Roundie color tv sets with Hybrid stereos(BOTH have SS amps and tube tuners). I probably have the amp and/or tuner chassis from a dozen more of them I gutted over the years too..

outlawmws
04-03-2007, 05:47 PM
Well if you cant find a console, maybe you can find a woman to console you... :D

speakerlust
04-03-2007, 05:54 PM
DAMMIT!!! The woman will probably make me get rid of the console

knowing my luck?...............:tears: :tears: :tears:

Let it be known that I am vigorously hunting for a CONSOLE!!!

mhardy6647
04-03-2007, 06:44 PM
an infinitely wide and tall open baffle would completely block the back wave... and would be, by definition, an infinite baffle! :-)

EV recommended the following as a quasi-infinite baffle. Install your EV speaker in a closet door. Doors were more substantial back then.

How "infinite" an infinite baffle needs to be will depend on the T-S parameters of a speaker. A closet-sized enclosure (or even a car trunk!) is effectively an infinite baffle.

An in-wall speaker mounted between (non-connecting) rooms is a very good approximation of an infinite baffle. There could be some problems with the rather large baffle in terms of the front wave, though...

speakerlust
04-03-2007, 08:17 PM
WOW!!!..................

Now that's what I call a baffle?..................:banana: :banana: :banana:

"Honey, would you turn the stereo down? I'm trying to hang up the clothes".
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

"What's that dear? Sorry, Can't hear you over the stereo"!!!
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

mhardy6647
04-03-2007, 08:30 PM
Read about it rat cheer:
http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Builders%20Plans/Bulletin10A.pdf

PioneerGuy75
04-03-2007, 08:37 PM
<<ZAP>>

Console on Denver CL.........

Guy wants $1100 for it!!:yikes:

First thought was typo.....

That's probably what it went for NEW 30+ years ago!:scratch2:

:beer: :screwy: :dunno:

speakerlust
04-03-2007, 08:48 PM
That EV link is soooo cooool:banana: :banana: :banana:

That Dude that want's $1,100 for the console, I'm half tempted to call
him and say, "Eleven Dollars? I was wondering if you'd take ten bucks"?
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

outlawmws
04-03-2007, 08:52 PM
!!1976 Antique Turntable, Sterio, Tape Player, Console>>> GREAT DEAL!! - $1100
Date: 2007-03-29, 9:10AM MDT

This is an antique turntable, sterio, tape player Console. Mint Condition! Absolutelly nothing wrong with it, everything is perfect on it. Receipts and and all other paper work go with it. This is a really great antique and really dont want to sell it but we have no room in the house for it. This is a great deal, and the reason for this is because we just want to get it out of the house ASAP. Works great and the speakers are really good as well. Has plug-ins for external speakers. The brand is Magnavox tm. If you are interested please call me at (303) 922-1859, or at(720) 338-2384, thank you

How many things wrong with that ad?

It’s not an antique
Sterio is spelled Stereo
I’m guessing the “Tape player” is an 8 track…
He want it to move fast, so he’s asking more (I’m certain) than it sold for new
It’s not a great deal

Thrifts aren’t even accepting these things in some areas as they don’t sell and take a lot of space…

outlawmws
04-03-2007, 08:53 PM
ps: better remove the link to CL, before they move the thread to D&S

speakerlust
04-03-2007, 11:30 PM
THAT'S FUNNY

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Whitehall
04-05-2007, 02:00 PM
An open baffle is, at the limit, an infinite baffle. The bigger the baffle, the more attenuation of the backwave. Partial enclosure as in a console with an open back attenuates more and approaches the infinite baffle. The partial enclosure can provide some backpressure and dampening so as MHardy points out, the designer has several parameters to juggle.

Anyway, a well designed and maintained console can sound pretty darn good. I don't think any of us will argue that!

coman61
04-05-2007, 02:55 PM
Speakerlust
Put your location in your profile. It might be easier to find you a console if you let us know where you are. I have picked up a few in the past couple of years.

speakerlust
04-05-2007, 10:37 PM
"Speakerlust
Put your location in your profile. It might be easier to find you a console if you let us know where you are. I have picked up a few in the past couple of years".

Okay, My location is now in my profile.
Ima lookin for a BIG console.
I want the mother of all consoles and I don't care if it works or not.
It will when I'm through with it. Then it's going to be time to PARTY TIME !!!

markus
04-05-2007, 11:24 PM
I'm on the opposite side of the country :thumbsdn:

wish I could help . . . .

'course yuo are *kinda* near Cali .. .thats JBL Paragon territory !

coman61
04-06-2007, 07:11 AM
I was hopeing you were a little closer to Ohio. I know I could hook you up with something.

Greg B.
04-06-2007, 08:09 AM
A friend of mine (who has a knack for finding these sorts of things) recently picked up an early-mid 70s Zenith Allegro console, complete with turntable and 8-track, for free from an aging relative. The thing is absolutely mint, looks like it was waxed every day by the original owner. Everything works as it should, even the 8-track, all lights are fuinctional, and the sound is fairly impressive, to my surprise. I remember Zenith promoting their Allegro speaker line fairly agressively back then. Are they anything special?

Whitehall
04-06-2007, 09:28 AM
Speakerlust, I admire your obsession!

wineslob
04-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Never met a console I liked. All sounded too "wooly", but I do have some fond memories of my fathers system (Fisher 500c/ SP 12B speakers). It sounded "wooly" also, but I loved cranking Led Zep on it.

speakerlust
04-06-2007, 10:52 AM
Thanks,
I love all consoles.......:banana:
They do not all sound the same to me and I love all.........:banana:
I am obsessed with all sound equipment.....:banana:

If I get a 7 footer that has been emptied it's gettin four of these
http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-PEV-BW18LRS.html#

and four of these http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-793

:guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :yippy: :grnbounce

coman61
04-06-2007, 12:02 PM
:music: Whoa
That would make you look like the dude in the memorex commercial.:D
4 Black widows would split the consoles cabinet.

speakerlust
04-07-2007, 03:30 PM
YIPPEEE!!!:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :tresbon:

markus
04-07-2007, 06:18 PM
I think I've just been inspired :yes:

thank you speakerlust . . .and stay tuned . . .

RayW
04-07-2007, 07:40 PM
I remember Zenith promoting their Allegro speaker line fairly agressively back then. Are they anything special?

I had a pair given to me back about '87. Used them with a big Sony all-in-one thingy for a few years and then got a good tax refund and picked up a Rotel receiver and some Mirage speakers. The Allegros went to a friend. The weren't very impressive IMO. The Mirage were smaller, went lower, played louder, and sounded much better.

Ray

orthophonic
04-07-2007, 08:00 PM
I have several consoles and have heard many and have found that the best sounding ones are the top of the line SS models
from 1967 to about 1971 or '72 as these were the years the
best models were using air suspension speakers and high power amps. My personal favorite is the Zenith 960 series
from '67-72, huge and heavy, 160 watt separate amp, 15" Jensen Woofers, Jensen Midrange Horns and 4 tweeters in a sealed air suspension system, sounds quite excllent, the post
1970 models had touch controls rather than buttons.
The top models from RCA (VT 70 & 80 series) had similar air
suspension speaker systems and are pretty good. The top 1969 model from Sears is also one of the best I have heard.
I don't much care for the SS magnavoxes of this period mainly
because they had lousy tuners. Of course there are the Fishers and Scotts and their best were excellent, the lower line models were mediocre. I see consoles all the time but
I see very few top of the line models as they were quite expensive at the time.
Regarding the Philco Electrostatic, Philco used electrostatic tweeters in many of their models in the 50's including some of their portable phonos. They made a stereo model that had
outboard electrostatic mid/tweeters that could be placed on top or away from the console.
Zenith used electrostatic tweeters in their 1956 & 1957 models, also Sears made a couple of models in the 50's with
electrostatic tweeters, they even put electrostatic tweeters
in some of their console televisions.
In closing I will say once again that the Zenith 960 series
is my favorite, I actually listen to it more than I do my very expensive tube component system.

speakerlust
04-07-2007, 08:07 PM
:yes: I think I've just been inspired

thank you speakerlust . . .and stay tuned . . .

Sure, anytime..........

had a pair given to me back about '87. Used them with a big Sony all-in-one thingy for a few years and then got a good tax refund and picked up a Rotel receiver and some Mirage speakers. The Allegros went to a friend. The weren't very impressive IMO. The Mirage were smaller, went lower, played louder, and sounded much better.

The Zenith Allegro?
What an odd speaker, But I like it.
I always remove the woofers because they were supplied
by Celestion and they make great PA replacement speakers.
They do not get that low as stated but they are tight and
clean. They have a surround that is typical of the Rola-Celestion
series which is interesting to me as I recall that Rola was into
fabric and then when they merged or bought Celestion the
Celestion's got cloth surrounds. Anyway, I recently replaced
8's from a pair of Peavey Monitors that needed loading and they
were auditioned before the customer bought them. He was very
impressed with the sound and I informed him that the Bottom
drivers were Celestion while the horns remained Peavey.
The Zenith Allegro do bring back fond memories for me as I used
to hear them on the old cheap 8-track player at a friends cabin
while we raided his immense liquor cabinet and then all piled in
his boat to cruise the lake looking for trouble. I never could water
ski because I was always too hammered but I was to blasted to care.