View Full Version : Free Garage sale speakers - Anyone recognize?

SpeakerLabFan
04-21-2007, 03:29 PM
One of these speakers was in the driveway at a local garage sale, and the seller said that they were free. There are no marking on the cabinet, and the "seller" didn't know what they were. He said they were "Heavy speakers" :D

I haven't looked inside at the drivers yet. Any ideas or things to check for? thanks.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o240/speakerlabfan/IMAGE_00268.jpg

The other speaker was in the loft of his huge workshop / barn so it looks like they had been stored awhile. I also picked up a dirty but decent looking Realistic STA-84 receiver for $5. He said that his son had taken his two other receivers and "sold one for $50" - he didn't know what make/model, I probably missed out on a nice one :bash:

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o240/speakerlabfan/IMAGE_00269.jpg

Nat
04-21-2007, 08:12 PM
If its emotionally helpful, that reciever was one of the first audio items I lusted after. I have no idea how good it sounds, but I liked the look alot when I was younger. Still looks better than most of the realistic competition.

Damage
04-21-2007, 11:20 PM
Looks like a juliette speaker.

SpeakerLabFan
04-22-2007, 01:13 AM
If its emotionally helpful, that reciever was one of the first audio items I lusted after. I have no idea how good it sounds, but I liked the look alot when I was younger. Still looks better than most of the realistic competition.

Thanks, it looks like it's 25 WPC at .7% THD with an interesting feature: "Quatravox(r) 4-Channel Synthesizer". It look like that is another option on the speaker selector control - "A", "B", "A+B", "Quatravox". Anyway, it fun to check it out for $5. :thmbsp:

SpeakerLabFan
04-22-2007, 01:16 AM
Looks like a juliette speaker.

Thanks, can't find any details on this speaker online. Any references? I need to pry open the cabinet and see if there are any details inside. It looks like a sealed box, so I don't have to worry about any critters in the box. :yikes:

JHS2RT
04-22-2007, 05:40 AM
Those are Olsen Speakers-Sold by Olsen electronics in the 60's.
My Dad had a pair. James
(The worst speaker I ever heard)

SpeakerLabFan
04-22-2007, 01:26 PM
Those are Olsen Speakers-Sold by Olsen electronics in the 60's.
My Dad had a pair. James
(The worst speaker I ever heard)

Ok, thanks. I found something on an Olson vintage speaker part. It was a 12" driver with combined the woofer, midrange and tweeter in a "triplex" arrangement - looks pretty awful in the picture. :puke2:

I guess I should give these a listen, then drop them off for donation on my next thrift store trip.

gonzothegreat
05-03-2007, 05:23 PM
I have one of those blue basket Olsen 12" triaxes. It came in a huge cube cab that was part of a stereo pair. The other was an EV T35 and Wolverine woofer. Never listened to either as I had to part them out immediately.

GordonW
05-03-2007, 07:00 PM
Can we get a shot of the innards? Might help narrow down what's in there...

Regards,
Gordon.

Donkey!
05-03-2007, 07:21 PM
I had some olsen drivers, but they went to Ken (Urizen) in the great AK crap swap. They more in tune with musical instrument drivers though.