View Full Version : Minimus 77

giant-rider
05-19-2007, 09:32 PM
I have just acquired a pair of Minimus 77 for $5.00 CAD, they are in pretty good shape and sound quite all right for their size. Out of curiosity I did a search in the forums and found lots of threads with reference to the 7s but very little about the 77s. So my question is this, are they a lot more uncommon?

Redboy
05-19-2007, 09:42 PM
I've got a pair. Bought them thinking I was getting another pair of 7's, but they seemed a little big to me...

I've got 3 pairs of 7's and only one pair of 77's. That means they're 3X less common than the 7's. :D

I do like the way they sound, but dammit they're white! Cosmetics relegate them to the deep down under where all backup electronics hide.

giant-rider
05-19-2007, 09:57 PM
Mine are black, they were a bit dirty I figure they are worth cleaning. :thmbsp:

Damage
05-19-2007, 10:01 PM
1) They were more expensive
2) They have foam surrounds and usually get tossed.

Rob Mills
05-19-2007, 10:48 PM
Out of curiosity I did a search in the forums and found lots of threads with reference to the 7s but very little about the 77s. So my question is this, are they a lot more uncommon?[/QUOTE]

I hit the same brick wall looking for info on a newly aquired pair of mimius 1's, found nothing but 7's info. The 7's are nice (I have 5 pair) but don't have the sound of the slightly larger wood minimus one's.

giant-rider
05-20-2007, 07:05 AM
1) They were more expensive
2) They have foam surrounds and usually get tossed.

Yes they have foam surrounds, mine are still in great shape. If they were to go bad I would consider repairing them, they are quite nice.

Skinley
05-20-2007, 07:29 AM
I have a pair, they were black but I sprayed them white, they also need new surrounds.

Cosmic Charlie
05-20-2007, 08:36 AM
I too searched for info on my Minimus 2's, nothing, All about the 7's. Anyone got the dope on the 2's?. Wooden case, 8" x 7" x 14", with 6 1/2" woof and 2 1/2" tweet. Dont sound bad with Pioneer SX-580 (20 wrms) sorry about hijack, I hope it's alright, its all about the sound, and sharing thoughts. Forgive me. CC

thedelihaus
05-20-2007, 11:43 AM
Just a bigger version of the 7s- larger woofer. some folk prefer them over the 7s- the 7s sold well because of the price-point and let's face it, the cute size. The fact that they sound darn good was a bonus.

I'd not hesitate to pick up 7s and 77s all day long. not the be-all, end-all of mini speakers, but a great bang for buck and truly enjoyable.

Skinley
05-20-2007, 06:51 PM
I've read that they sound better than the 7's, which are very good for such a small speaker.
I haven't had a chance to listen to my 77's because the first thing I did when I got them was to test the surrounds by prodding them with my finger and the surrounds fell apart.:sigh:
I can't find any surrounds for them so I'd be glad if someone could point me in the right direction, I know I could replace the woofers for very little money but I'd prefer to keep them original.

Ed in SoDak
05-20-2007, 08:02 PM
www.matelectronics.com has the smaller surrounds. Bummer is the $25 minimum order, so stock up on a few of their other offerings. Might be some other place with a lower minimum.

-Ed

Skinley
05-20-2007, 08:20 PM
www.matelectronics.com has the smaller surrounds. Bummer is the $25 minimum order, so stock up on a few of their other offerings. Might be some other place with a lower minimum.

-Ed
Thanks for the link.
Unfortunately $25 is already way more than I paid for the speakers, then there is the shipping to England.:sigh:

Damage
05-20-2007, 08:32 PM
www.matelectronics.com has the smaller surrounds.
-Ed

Do you know for an absolute fact that they have the exact surround. Because AFAIK there is no exact replacement. Not even a somewhat close one.

Ed in SoDak
05-20-2007, 10:54 PM
I ordered a pair. They're foam and I'd guess generic. Probably not an exact match to anything. Aren't the 7 surrounds actually rubber? Sorry the suggestion wasn't more helpful!

-Ed

Damage
05-20-2007, 11:09 PM
I don't understand. Do they or do they not fit the 77s woofer?

Ed in SoDak
05-20-2007, 11:27 PM
I was merely tossing out the link as a supplier of surrounds, in sizes big to small, plus other speaker repair parts. I don't own the 77 so can't say if there's an exact match to it, sorry!

What they stock is a "generic" foam surround. In my last order, I got a variety of sizes. Quality seems just fine and similar to other foams I've seen. I'll shoot a pic of the assortment later.

-Ed

bully
05-21-2007, 10:32 AM
I have the 77's and they do have a tad more bass due to the bigger woofer.
For what you're getting, a great little speaker system!

giant-rider
05-21-2007, 08:40 PM
Wow, my first real listening session with the 77s, impressive so far. I just bought a Luxman L-450 hooked up an old turntable and the 77s. They sound bigger than they are, I'm a happy camper. :yes:

Urizen
05-21-2007, 09:10 PM
Wow, my first real listening session with the 77s, impressive so far. I just bought a Luxman L-450 hooked up an old turntable and the 77s. They sound bigger than they are, I'm a happy camper. :yes:

Replace that cheap capacitor in the crossover section, and the tweeters will come alive.

Enjoy!:music:

Ken

Ed in SoDak
05-21-2007, 09:14 PM
As luck would have it, I didn't order the 6" size from Mat Electronics. Unfortunately, they don't show a 6.5". They do carry a 4" and 5", which I did order, along with several larger surrounds, cones, coils and other parts. The cones have a surround already attached.

The 4" has an actual outer diameter of 3.75" and had a pretty narrow roll, while the 5" measures 4.6" with a more normal-looking roll. I'd presume their 6" size would be just a tad too narrow to work. :dunno:

I doubt you'd want to try splicing the inner flat portion of an 8" onto the outer edge of the 6", but that might make a workaround. Those two sizes are under a buck apiece.

By coincidence, a couple backordered items from them arrived just today. :D

-Ed

giant-rider
05-21-2007, 09:25 PM
I'll have a look at it, thanks.

Damage
05-21-2007, 10:59 PM
It's a 3-1/8" cone with a 1" roll. Basically a long-throw 5-1/4" woofer.

Ed in SoDak
05-21-2007, 11:41 PM
Mat's 5" surround measures 2 13/16 inside opening. 3/16th's inner flange width, approx. 3 3/16 at widest part, tips upwards. Roll is 3/8, outer flange 5/16 and overall diameter is 4 5/8.

-Ed

Damage
05-22-2007, 12:01 AM
The outside is just short. You might be able to stretch it. Might do in a pinch. Wish I could find the right one.

Paul C
05-22-2007, 12:33 AM
I have a pair of very similar Optimus Pro-X55AV's. These are the same size as the Minimus 77's, same enclosure, but the woofer and tweeter are "shielded".

But it get's better... the woofer cone is poly and the surround is rubber. I lucked up on a lot of 5 (LF, Center, RF, and LR and RR) a guy had been using in an Audio-Video surround system.

These are pretty good sounding speakers. I have a pair in my bedroom, and another pair out in my workshop.

And I have ONE orphan. So, if anyone has a Pro-X55AV (in black, preferably) let's talk. I saw a batch of 4 white ones on that auction site recently.

MarkAnderson
05-22-2007, 07:00 AM
It's a 3-1/8" cone with a 1" roll.
Shouldn't that be 1/2" roll? That's what mine measure.

If memory serves me, wooferrepair.com has a surround that will fit, but I believe it has a 3/8 roll. That's the closest thing I've found. One day I'll get around to ordering a pair. :rolleyes:

kfa888
05-22-2007, 07:11 AM
I had 7's and 77's at the same time. The 77's were a little better IMHO but I was really not to impressed with ether set. They are what they are, a little speaker with a good tweeter.

Damage
05-22-2007, 08:51 AM
Shouldn't that be 1/2" roll?

Oppsie! You are right! I just accidentally doubled it cause I was measuring from basket to basket.

Damage
05-22-2007, 09:04 AM
Still, the 4-5/8 is just short, but it will fit if you stretch it a little.

IBStrollin
02-18-2010, 01:34 PM
I too have a pair of Minimus 77's that I picked up on Ebay for $15. And of course, the surrounds were rotted. So I found a place, called Madisound in Madison, WI. You can find them at www.madisound.com. Since I lived in WI at the time, I took my 77's to Madisound, and I was originally looking at a VIFA woofer, but found out they would not fit due to depth. They had a Peerless 831990 (no longer available) that fit perfectly, plus had a rubber surround and poly cone to boot! At the time they were on sale for $10 ea. After break-in, they sound great. I have down-sized my home theater drastically to the 77's for the front speakers, on a pair of the Radio Shack stands made for the 7/77 that put them at 30" high (ebay - $35), a Boston Acoustic Micro 90cII center channel ($50 - ebay), a pair of Minimus 7's for the rears ($25 - ebay), and a Boston Acoustic MicroMediaSystem subwoofer ($20 - ebay) (yes, for a computer system). All of this is driven by a Boston Acoustics Avidea 610 Home Theater AM/FM/CD/DVD that I picked up for $68 on ebay. To say the least, it does the job very nicely.

But if you're looking to replace your 77's woofers, keep in mind that while they are listed as a 5", a 5 1/4" woofer will fit, provided you watch the depth. I even went so far as taking the 5 1/4" woofer out of a pair of Polk R15's to see if they would fit, primarily because they are shielded. They did, put it was tight. The magnet was right on top of the crossover, but it did fit.

In both cases, the frame for the woofer was a stamped steel style, and originally I had to trim the foam around the woofer opening to get them to fit, but it was well worth the effort. The 77's are now crisp and clear and sound great for such a small speaker.

onwardjames
10-30-2010, 11:28 PM
THREAD REVIVAL!!!

what is the value of that cap in the minimus 77's?? Anyone know?

Turborusty
10-31-2010, 01:42 AM
THREAD REVIVAL!!!

what is the value of that cap in the minimus 77's?? Anyone know?

Are you talking retail or black market?

Turborusty

willhowl
10-31-2010, 03:10 AM
Are you talking retail or black market?

Turborusty

Har de Har Har.....Now....What WOULD be that cap value.......

And, while we're at it, Howza 'bout those surrounds...(foam).....

I just found a pair for a fiver, and promptly blew out a section of foam foolishly trying to gauge the LF response.....which wasn't bad for the size......

I DO wish to save these..............Thanks.....willhowl

boreas
10-31-2010, 09:55 AM
Just a bigger version of the 7s- larger woofer. some folk prefer them over the 7s- the 7s sold well because of the price-point and let's face it, the cute size. The fact that they sound darn good was a bonus.

I'd not hesitate to pick up 7s and 77s all day long. not the be-all, end-all of mini speakers, but a great bang for buck and truly enjoyable.

I saw a pair of 77s (the Optimus Pro 77 variety) at St. Vinnie's the other day. Fifty bucks! There was a printout taped to them of a "Completed Listing" from Meg's place with a sale of $29.00 and shipping of $13.95.

If prior experience with these folks is any indicator, they'll sit there for six month and get marked down to $10.00 and someone (not me) will snag them. Sheesh!

John

onwardjames
10-31-2010, 10:42 AM
Har de Har Har.....Now....What WOULD be that cap value.......

And, while we're at it, Howza 'bout those surrounds...(foam).....

I just found a pair for a fiver, and promptly blew out a section of foam foolishly trying to gauge the LF response.....which wasn't bad for the size......

I DO wish to save these..............Thanks.....willhowl

There was a guy on Ebay selling them...where I got mine. And CHEAP.

I'm keeping mine in the hopes I can get another pair (mini-Stack!!) but lemme see if I can find that link for ya. I'm slow, gimme a bit.

They are worth saving. I listened to them last night for 3 hours. Couldn't leave....

onwardjames
10-31-2010, 10:53 AM
www.madisound.com according to the first of this thread, but I'd still check fleabay. Good luck.

I may even attempt that mod...I'm THAT impressed with these lil guys.

willhowl
10-31-2010, 04:13 PM
Thanks for your reply, onwardjames........I'm neck-deep in projects right now, but will get to these soon......

I need them as secondary, low-level speaks on my main system, for when my Housemate is a-sleepin'........gotta keep the peace........... will report later........willhowl:music:

onwardjames
10-31-2010, 04:51 PM
Very welcome!

That is exactly what I use mine for...when my wife is sleeping (she's a nurse...odd hours)

If you can't find anything, I'll sell ya mine, but only if your search runs dry. :D

HTHMAN
10-31-2010, 05:34 PM
Current eBay item # is 360313218816 for those surrounds. Here is the thread when I did mine.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=326996

Nice sounding speakers with a little more full sound than the 7's.

chicks
10-31-2010, 06:14 PM
Thanks, just ordered surrounds and bookmarked you tutorial. The foam on my trusty 77's turned to dust last week. :(

RickeyM
12-21-2010, 11:00 PM
Just to be certain, the surround kit to get is the 4 1/2 - 4 3/4" one? I found a pair of white Pro77's at GW today. The paint was a lil' rough, one of the grills was pushed in and the foam surround was in good shape. Good shape until one got a little poke when I pulled the woofer :(
I have some poly caps to replace the stock electrolytics and adding some more poly stuffing. That'll have to do until I get time to do the mods. I am thinking of painting them semi-gloss or satin white with tan colored grills :scratch2: . Haven't seen that combo before.

RickeyM
12-29-2010, 12:20 PM
A small dab of glue patched the surround tear while I get the surround kit. In the meantime, I put in those poly caps, the additional poly stuffing and reversed the leads on the tweeter. With just that, the sound is very nice. I like them even better than the Boston HD7's I refoamed recently :music:

I think the woofer used in the 77's is much better than the one used in the 7's. I'll unhook the tweeters and listen to see how the woofers are behaving, but they sound good so far without any kind of network on them.

Another thing I found out is they sound noticeably better with the grills removed! Any other '77 owners out there? Reverse the tweeter leads, leave the grills off and report back on how they sound.

markallen
12-29-2010, 12:26 PM
I do like the way they sound, but dammit they're white! Cosmetics relegate them to the deep down under where all backup electronics hide.

White is bad? I have a pair of white Optimus PRO-44XAVs and my wife really appreciates how they match the white furniture in the living room! Much less obvious. If there was a white receiver and CD player she'd like that too, but doesn't mind the Marantz 2226 and black Denon CD player.

onwardjames
12-29-2010, 05:57 PM
Another thing I found out is they sound noticeably better with the grills removed! Any other '77 owners out there? Reverse the tweeter leads, leave the grills off and report back on how they sound.
Another Minimus 77 guy right here!

Ahem, did you say reverse the leads to the tweeters?? Is that because the stock setup doesn't filter out the highs on the woofer, and comb filtering ensues??

I'm off to do that right now! (and remove the grills)

RickeyM
12-30-2010, 10:08 PM
The Mini-mi (Minimuses) have a second order crossover on the tweeters with no network on the woofers. This puts the tweeters 180-degrees out of phase with the woofers at the crossover freq. Wiring the tweeters "out-of-phase" is supposed to correct this. I recall reading that long ago but it seems to make sense. I did the same thing years ago with the Pro 7's I had at the time. It's a subtle change, but a free tweak nonetheless.

What I'm really liking about the Pro 77's is that they sound very good with just a re-cap and some additional poly-fill. Added to that is the added bass from the bigger woofer blends with a sub better.

I'm definitely on the lookout for another pair now :D.

RickeyM
01-06-2011, 10:01 AM
These 77's are definitely keepers :thmbsp:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=1307&pictureid=8517