View Full Version : Using Tape Input For CD Player ?????

sound passion
06-24-2007, 10:13 PM
Hello,
Is it OK to use the Tape inputs on a receiver for CD Player ?:scratch2:
The receiver I'm looking at has no AUX input option only 1 phono and 2 Tape.
I would really appreciate some advice.
Thanks,
John

KingBubba
06-24-2007, 10:18 PM
Must be an Onkyo or a Concept. Yes there is no problem, think of it as an aux input with a different name

deeder7001
06-24-2007, 10:37 PM
I have 3 CDPs. One is hooked up to the CD input. The others are hooked into the Tuner and Tape-1 inputs. There isn't any difference(that I notice at least).

sound passion
06-24-2007, 10:44 PM
Thank you guys,
This would be good news however I'm little confused here because I had read
more then once about the importance of the input signal strength - what I been told
is that for example the CD have higher signal output in mV then the MM
turntable cartridge. Some pre-amps with phono stage will be fine with
MM carbide but not with the MC since most of the MC cartridges are low output 0.4 mV or so.
How big is the difference between the typical Tape Player output and the CD Player ?
If you know I would love to know.
John

whyaskit
06-24-2007, 11:00 PM
Most of the inputs that are not marked Phono on a reciever are what is called "line level". Basically, there is no major step up to the inputed signal. I have read that a CD player can have a higher output than a tape deck but that would only be noticed as a needed adjustment in the volume control to maintain a common level.

Cartridges can have quite a variation in output and genrally speaking MC have a lower output than a MM. The Phono stage will step up the signal to a useable level so the amplifier can take over. The Phono also equalizes the signal so it sounds right. This has nothing to do with the line level inputs or the 'Tape', 'Aux', or 'CD' maked inputs.

sound passion
06-24-2007, 11:19 PM
Got it, Thanks !!!!

melofelo
06-25-2007, 05:21 AM
a company called qed make input expanders and tape switching units which will allow you to connect up to three line level devices to the single tape loop on your amp/receiver...you can then mix and match between using a cd/tape/minidisc etc and even dub between them...
the three way unit is called the qed mb40.. or the qed ma29 (2way)

straycat1
06-25-2007, 06:22 AM
Hello,
Is it OK to use the Tape inputs on a receiver for CD Player ?:scratch2:
John

I'm glad you asked that question, as I'd assumed that Tape/Aux/Tuner inputs should only be used as named due to differing signal strengths.
I'd planned to buy a switching unit so I could run the TV and CDP into the Aux input (when I get my 'new' Sansui recapped). Very good to learn that I have 2 spare 'Aux' inputs as I won't be using using Tape-2, or Tape-1 at this stage.

obelisk
01-30-2008, 08:49 PM
Good news. Can you line a TV in to a tape input as well? Or should you line in TV peripherals like DVD players and game consoles seperately? I'm looking at buying a ROTEL RX-802 and want to run a turntable, CD player and my TV outputs into it if I can.

Cheers,

-O

Art K.
01-30-2008, 09:34 PM
Better news as the tape input is often the best input in the amp...most direct.

ozmoid
01-30-2008, 10:08 PM
obelisk, all those devices should be fine. The phono input is the only one that's picky about what you attach. As stated above, everything else should be "line level in".

obelisk
01-31-2008, 02:17 AM
thanks heaps guys. that's really helpful.

Raynald
01-31-2008, 07:09 AM
Who else remembers when CDs came out and a lot of audio companies (including many we sold) boasted how their CD inputs were specifically designed to handle the extra demands of the CD signal with "overloading"?

Funny how I have never heard of anyone with a vintage receiver or amp designed years before the CD format existed complain that the line level inputs were having trouble with their CD player's output. Anyone else find that amusing?

Ray

DSChamber
01-31-2008, 09:39 AM
Good news. Can you line a TV in to a tape input as well? Or should you line in TV peripherals like DVD players and game consoles seperately? I'm looking at buying a ROTEL RX-802 and want to run a turntable, CD player and my TV outputs into it if I can.

Cheers,

-O

I have the variable audio output from my TV (basically controlled by the remote) going into the INPUT of my Sansui SE-9 Equalizer, and the EQ is pushed to the AUX input of my AM-2600.... works fine...

drknstrmyknight
01-31-2008, 01:45 PM
Just make sure it is not a TAPE HEAD input which would have equalization and additional gain.