View Full Version : Vintage Kenwood speakers help

k-man
06-28-2007, 04:32 AM
Hi, just came across this great site a little while ago and am glad I did. I usually hang out at diytube or antiqueradios but this site is massive compared to those two. Anyways I was hoping for some input on a recent project. I got a pair of three way floor standing speakers used awhile ago for a great deal but since there from the 70's I've been doing some service work on them. There Trio-Kenwood LSK-400D if that helps, I haven't found much about them online. Well I just finished recapping the crossovers, unusual ones I've never really seen, just two bi-polars caps of 6.8 & 2.2uF and I replaced the crummy jacks with new 5 way binding posts. So they sound good but I'm still not happy with the bass. I think it's what you would call boomy, I prefer a nice tight bass for the kind of music I listen to so I'm wondering what things can be done to change it a bit. It's a ported box so I'm wondering if I can modify the port somehow or would adding more dampening material inside the box help? I can post pics if it helps at all, just let me know and thanks for any advice.

K-MAN

k-man
06-28-2007, 01:33 PM
Should I post this in the DIY thread?

EchoWars
06-28-2007, 07:27 PM
How about 'Speakers'?

To be fair, you just might have to try different things and see if you like the results.

redcoates7
06-29-2007, 01:13 PM
I don't know much about that particular speaker model, but Kenwood is famous for having some real er, how shall I say, dogs, in their speaker line over the years...

If the bass is boomy, it's most likely cos Kenwood desgned it that way...big underdamped cabinet to really boom on the salesfloor. I' ve seen a couple of great speakers from them, but only one or two models...

k-man
06-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Well I added some poly fill stuffings behind the woofer and mid speaker and I was surprised that it actually made an audible differance. I'm not sure how much dampening speaker cabinets usually have so I just stapled about 1 or 2" of the stuff along the back and sides.

Kencat
06-30-2007, 12:55 AM
Is the difference better? If better, then maybe more stuffing is in order. Probably is a point where it may get worse, but you won't know without trying.

What about putting more bracing into the cabinet to stiffen it up?

Have you tried plugging the port. Or playing with the port diameter ?

willhowl
07-19-2007, 02:27 AM
Howdy, k-man. I will try to post a link that Zilch responded to my (other) post with. This guy (Z) produces amazing data/ info/ ideas. Read this,maybe it will give you some ideas (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=132152#post132152) Sorry,I can't seem to figure out hotlinks:stupid::stupid::dunno:Later, willhowl aka George.ps hotlink worked-whadda ya know??

k-man
07-19-2007, 04:15 AM
I've been listening to the speakers for a few weeks now since the recap and adding some stuffing. The mid and highs seem clearer and less harsh but I found that using too much stuffing really destroyed the bass on it. So I removed allot of the stuff I added and just stapled a thin layer along the back of the cabinet and this seems to be a good compromise. I've noticed that depending on what type of surface the speakers are sitting on makes a big differance in sound. Not sure what the best solution is as there on a carpeted floor right now and I'm a bit short on space to add big speaker stands.

CUlater
07-19-2007, 06:20 AM
The speaker location is probably the biggest factor as to how the bass sounds - AR many years ago, for their Pi series of speakers, had a really nice explanation of how floors and walls combine to reinforce the bass response. Basically, it went like this: think of the speaker playing whle floating in free space - sound is radiating outward in a 3-D spherical pattern all around the speaker. Next, put it on the the floor - now the sound is only radiating in a half sphere pattern...so the bass energy is effectively doubled (+3dB). Next, imagine putting the speaker on the floor against a wall - now the energy only radiates outward into a 1/4 sphere area - another doubling of effective output. Finally, put the speaker into a corner - now it radiates into a 1/8 spherical area, yet another doubling of sound output power. From thinking about this, you can easily see how great an effect speaker placement has in adjusting the bass response...you might want to try several different positions next to see what works best with your speaker's natural bass output.