View Full Version : Advent woofer questions (square magnets)

quantum 3
06-28-2007, 07:17 PM
I picked up a (free) pair of The Advents. The woofers look similar from the back (square magnets), but the cones are different -- one has the concentric circles while the other is smooth? Is that uncommon? See photos below...

Any pointers for the good re-foam kits?

ashnut
06-28-2007, 07:24 PM
The "concentric circles" one is original, and in need of new foam. The other one was probably reconed, and should sound pretty close to the original. Those are fine speakers, and worth fixing the other woofer. While you're at it, replace the capacitor in each crossover, and they'll be really singing. You won't regret it.

MarkAnderson
06-28-2007, 10:57 PM
Agreed. The last pic looks like a recone. Personally, I'd be looking to replace it with an original.

gogofast
06-29-2007, 12:34 AM
should sound about the same...and with the grill on, no one's gonna notice.
nevertheless, it's not gonna sound the same to us AK'ers, right? :D original single woofer should cost about $30-40 shipped from ebay (used to cost a lot more)- look for one that's already refoamed.

kfa888
06-29-2007, 12:48 AM
I would for sure replace it with an original. In a 2 way speaker the woofer has to reach higher and that cone material and more so the bigger harder looking duct cap is going to make it sound different and smear your imaging and possibly soundstage. IMHO

GordonW
06-29-2007, 10:53 AM
I would for sure replace it with an original. In a 2 way speaker the woofer has to reach higher and that cone material and more so the bigger harder looking duct cap is going to make it sound different and smear your imaging and possibly soundstage. IMHO

I'd agree with this. I'd either have BOTH reconed (with FABRIC or FELT small dustcaps, as the ORIGINALS were made over the years), or put in an original to replace the one that's been reconed. You do want the two to be the SAME, for the reasons mentioned above.

It'd be different, if we were talking something really rare... but fortunately, Advents are all over the place. You can probably find an original "unmolested" woofer, quickly and cheaply...

For a cheap solution... if you don't worry about what the appearance of the cone would be, it'd be interesting to cut off the big paper dustcap, and replace it with a SCREEN FABRIC dustcap, preferably smaller (between 2.5 and 3" in diameter). That'd probably ameliorate the situation quite a bit... the woofers should sound MUCH closer to the same, with matching dustcap type.

Regards,
Gordon.