View Full Version : WTF? Reynolds Advance A2 Speakers - $25, Boston CL

birddog
07-12-2007, 04:13 PM
Not Mine, etc... Anybody know what they are? Never heard of 'em before...

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/ele/372385375.html

Reynolds Advance A2 Speakers - $25

Reply to: sale-372385375@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-07-12, 3:54PM EDT

Pair of speakers in original boxes with original packing. Floor standing speakers with dark walnut case; wood veneer shows minor wear. 14.5" W X 10.5" D X 26.5" H.

Info from box: Power handling 100 W; Impedance 8 ohms, Fequency Range 30Hz - 20,000 Hz.

Moved to a smaller place and these are now too big.

Nat
07-13-2007, 10:41 AM
Pretty nice speakers, and a good deal at the price. Reynolds Advance, sometimes just called Advance, was part of the AR/EPI/Genesis/Burhoe/Boston Acoustics family tree. Founded, I've been told, by the head of sales of Genesis, and used the standard EPI/Genesis woofer but with a very good Peerless(?) dome tweeter. That tweeter, though, is crossed over a little lower than it should be and so its not a durable as the EPI/Genesis inverted dome. I think replacements under warrantee may have sunk the company. The A and A2 are their version of the Genesis 2, and might sound better, though I haven't compared them directly.
I found a pair by the side of the road, and had to kludge the tweeter wires on the front of the tweeter plate, and of course refoam, but am very pleased with them as a utility speaker. Wide frequency range and reasonably smooth. Cabinet could be stouter though -- its weak around the tweeters.

birddog
07-13-2007, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the info, Nat! I had never heard of these before, and I live within 20 miles of where EPI/Genesis called home! As well as Snell, A/D/S, BA, but that's another thread! Wish I had the room for another pair of speakers! Any of you local out there, the CL link is still good, these may still be available! The tweeters are worth the asking price!

Elfasto
09-05-2007, 09:31 PM
I have recently acquired a pair of Reynolds Advance A2 speakers. The cabinets are in fair shape and serviceable. Tweeters, crossover (simple 6dB/8va), and 10" Passive Radiators. 8" bass drivers missing in both cabinets. Passives need refoaming. Unknown as of yet if the tweeters are functioning. They did come with a 15uF capacitor on the crossover (quite low for a tweeter).

Does anybody have an idea on where to pick up the original bass speaker or suggest a suitable replacement?

EDIT: At Human Speakers the replacement stock woofer is availiable for $55 US +5 core charge. http://www.humanspeakers.com/o/advance/A-II.htm

Would like alternate suitable replacement models for completeness.

Nat
09-06-2007, 06:50 AM
I believe the Advance 8" is the same as the EPI and Genesis 8", and they are not hard to find. I believe you are right about the crossover being lower than one might expect for the tweeter.
Bye the bye -- there was a recent post by a guy with the same speaker who was considering gutting his -- you might be able to get his woofers.