View Full Version : What infinity speakers are these?

Rush2112
08-08-2007, 02:32 PM
I have this pair of little bookshelf two ways. They sound really nice but they dont have any markings of what model they are. On the shroud around the the tweeter it says "infinity" and on the grills it says infinity, sterling. I'll try to get the cam. working for pics/

Charivari
08-08-2007, 03:33 PM
From my little database, there are two possibilities based on what information you've given; the Sterling TS or the Sterling Video.

For the Sterling TS, here are what specs I have. The frequency response would be 150Hz-25kHz at an efficiency of 90dB/W/M at 6 ohms. It was intended to be used with the matching Sterling TS Subwoofer. The recommended power is 20-150 watts, but the top end there is a bit optimistic. This model has a 4" woofer (PN 902-6038) and crossed in at 5kHz is the fairly ubiquitous 0.5" polycarbonate dome tweeter found in the lower models.

For the Sterling Video, it's a bit bigger with a specified frequency response of 58Hz-20kHz. It's spec at having a sensitivity of 89dB/W/M at 6ohms and a recommended wattage of 20-150. This bookshelf speak uses a 5.5" woofer (PN 902-5621) with the aforementioned 0.5" polycarbonate dome tweeter crossing in at 4500Hz.

Does one of those woofer sizes match up with what you have?

- JP

Rush2112
08-08-2007, 05:32 PM
I would said that they are the smaller ones. Lemme go get the old camera and see what I can do...

Rush2112
08-08-2007, 06:00 PM
url=http://img411.imageshack.us/my.php?image=downsizedjz0.jpg][img=http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/541/downsizedjz0.th.jpg][/url

Hopefully this will be a shot of the speakers. If I know myslef I will do something stupid and this picture wont show.

botrytis
08-08-2007, 06:37 PM
Take off the brackets and you have the pic in the post.

Charivari
08-08-2007, 06:47 PM
I would said that they are the smaller ones. Lemme go get the old camera and see what I can do...
Measuring the woofer would make it easier to tell which Sterling the speakers are.

Your picture works fine for me when I click the link. That's definitely the polycarbonate tweeter, but I can't tell the woofer size.

- JP

onepixel
08-08-2007, 07:21 PM
Ss2001?

Charivari
08-08-2007, 07:36 PM
Ss2001?
Hey, that's a good possibility. I had forgotten the first S in SS stood for Sterling.

Here's (http://manuals.harman.com/INF/HOM/Owner%27s%20Manual/SS2001-2005%20om.pdf) the manual for the Sterling series. Rush, perhaps you could compare driver sizes and cabinet sizes to determine your model?

- JP

LBPete
08-15-2009, 08:54 PM
I just picked up a set of 4 Infinity Sterling TS speakers. They are round with a plastic case and plastic corner mounting brackets. I don't see how the grill comes off so I can't see the drivers. The grill also has a hard backing so I can't feel any openings.

Does anyone have experience with these little speakers?

- Pete

Manuel64
08-17-2009, 10:21 AM
The Sterling TS was one of Infinity's earliest "home theater in a box" products. It was originally designed to compete with the Bose Acoustimass cube systems, which were new and very popular back in the early 90's. The Sterling TS was a low cost way to get decent home theater. Personally, I think the Sterling TS sounded better than the Bose(which isn't saying much) and actually cost less. The little speakers are very limited in their bass output and a subwoofer is needed to sound good, but unlike the Bose cubes, each speaker does contain a tweeter and a small midrange driver.

LBPete
08-17-2009, 11:20 PM
Really couldn't expect much bass from these little speakers. I guess Infinity though they needed to compete with the geometric shape too. Bose had cubes and the TS are cylindrical.

Do you know if the grilles are removable? I'm a little hesitant to start prying but I want to check the drivers to see if the foam is OK.

- Pete

Manuel64
08-18-2009, 08:52 AM
[QUOTE=
Do you know if the grilles are removable? I'm a little hesitant to start prying but I want to check the drivers to see if the foam is OK.

- Pete[/QUOTE]

I honestly don't remember. It's many years since I sold them and I don't recall any occassion where I removed the grilles on those speakers. Most home theater in a box products are made to be simple and disposable. When a speaker stops working, you simply replace it. In my opinion, you probably don't want to try to take these apart, if they are still working. I wouldn't worry about the foam condition too much. These use very small drivers, and the midrange cone movement is minimal, so the foam should last much longer than on larger cones. Eventually, they will wear out, but I have seen the foam on small cones last a very long time before needing to be replaced.

LBPete
08-18-2009, 11:46 PM
Thanks. You're right about needing a sub woofer with them. They have a limited range. I traded them with the ADS 300's on my computer amp for a comparison. Frankly there is no comparison. The little Infinity's have a much more limited range. No bass at all.

- Pete