View Full Version : Realistic nova-10 Rarity. Really Cool Speakers!

alexkerhead
08-11-2007, 11:46 PM
OK, this morning my number 1 birddog found a set of Nova-10s at a yard sale for $10. They had barely been used. These things are in awesome condition.

I will post some audio impressions later, but here are some images of these rare speakers for your viewing pleasure. :)

1x 2" tweeter
1x 8" mid-bass
1x 8" Passive radiator

50watts max.

Oiled walnut real wood veneer.

Greyhawk17
08-12-2007, 01:18 AM
Nice Capture!.....I have some Nova 8's bout same condition,very nice,
enjoy!.....Cheers!

alexkerhead
08-12-2007, 01:34 AM
I have had a few hours to critically listen. I ran them to my main system through a 9090DB.

All I can say is these things are really seemingly accurate for their original price bracket. The bass is really natural sounding and the treble is sweet, but not too colored.

I am surprised at these little speakers.
It is a shame RatShack didn't make many of these neat little speakers.

Kernel86
08-12-2007, 02:07 AM
I've got a pair of Nova-4's and my brother a pair of Nova-15's, well really they're the exact same speaker a few years apart with different grills, but anyways. :p: Those are 8" 2-way ported and I really enjoy them. The Nova line was definitely a sweet spot for not a lot of dough, also I believe the Nova-10 is one of the few models with a nicer sounding tweeter. Enjoy them! :music:

jeffn
08-12-2007, 02:08 AM
I have had a few hours to critically listen. I ran them to my main system through a 9090DB.

All I can say is these things are really seemingly accurate for their original price bracket. The bass is really natural sounding and the treble is sweet, but not too colored.

I am surprised at these little speakers.
It is a shame RatShack didn't make many of these neat little speakers.

I had 2 pair of these but recently gave one pair to a friend. I still use the other pair, and they are quite alright........ a good little all-rounder.

alexkerhead
08-12-2007, 02:43 AM
It is amazing how different they sound than the Nova-4s.

The Nova-4s have somewhat of harsh tweeters in them, but they sound nice as well.

Here are my nova-4s I refoamed last year.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33347&d=1165846267
http://audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33348&d=1165846267

It would be fun to make some kind of surround sound system using these speakers, using my Nova-500s for the front, Nova-10s in the back and the nova-4s as rear and front center channels. :)

Here are some pictures of the nova-500s I refoamed as well, 3-way 12".
http://audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=46741&stc=1&d=1176504758
http://audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=46742&stc=1&d=1176504758

bully
08-12-2007, 04:00 AM
I have Nova 8B & Nova 7B late 70s AR clones great sounding the 8B 12-inch really goes deep.

gearhound
08-12-2007, 08:02 AM
I have a pair of Nova-4's at home.
Didn't care for the tweeters though.
Replaced them with a pair of Peerless 2 1/4" cones.
Now they sound real sweet!

Steve

Celt
08-12-2007, 09:13 AM
ALEX: Plug that RCA jack with a RCA plug or something. The Realistic speakers all came with plastic plugs to do that. Otherwise, the cabinet sees the small hole as an air leak and it affects the cabinets tuning and bass response.

shrinkboy
08-12-2007, 09:17 AM
also, the cabs have little or no stuffing. try some polyfill and a brace or two. again, the crossover is almost non existent. it would be cool if a more accurate crossover could be designed

Celt
08-12-2007, 09:48 AM
Yep. RS speakers almost always had minimal x-overs. The old Solo 103's fell short because lack of a Zobel network...and they copied the idea from an Electronics Illustrated project.

MarkAnderson
08-12-2007, 05:45 PM
I plum forgot I had a pair of those. I'll have to edit my list...

IIRC, DaveElton wound up with them. Don't the woofers and passives have that RS "Never-Rot(someone please explain to me how to make a "trademark" symbol :sigh:)" foam?

Roypercy
08-12-2007, 11:06 PM
Really nice score. I had a pair of Nova 8B's for awhile, really liked them. They finally had to leave when I finished restoring my AR-2AX's which are on a different level, but the Nove 8B's were very satisfying.

alexkerhead
08-14-2007, 04:01 AM
Here is the big shock to people who think these had small xovers!

They are ridiculous for their price bracket, my L100s, Large Advents, and lots of others don't have as nice of xovers.

Woofers are basic 30watt stamped jobs, tweets have large magnets for their size. Passive radiators are foams blocks with a spider.

The woofer and passive rad use t-nuts!

here are some images of the nova-10's crossover and drivers.

Zilch
08-14-2007, 04:19 AM
Hi, Alex,

It's pretty hard to argue that what's in L100 comprises a crossover, even. Except for the very early ones, it's just two single-cap highpass filters and L-Pads.

The ones in your Novas are certainly more sophisticated. I think I'd replace that bipolar electrolytic capacitor with a Dayton MPP of the same value if it's not too big, though, particularly if it's in the tweeter circuit.

I can't quite trace the circuit from the pics. It'd be good if you did that and posted it here for everyone, as the values of all of the components seem to be printed on them, including the inductors. Expand the knowledge base. :thmbsp:

That passive radiator is kinda neat. It's certainly reduced down to the essentials.... :yes:

alexkerhead
08-14-2007, 04:32 AM
Alright, will do that tomorrow(well, later today..lol). :)

While these speakers do not hold a candle to my 4401s, they certainly are decent for $10.

Cap replacement should be a load of fun.

alexkerhead
08-14-2007, 05:05 AM
Here is what I saw.

Sorry, was never a schematic artist. :D

Here is a replacement cap I think I can afford.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=027-424

Zilch
08-14-2007, 05:58 AM
Yup, that's a good choice on the cap. :yes:

Crossover frequency is ~2125 Hz from the component values, assuming 8-Ohm drivers.

The tweeter polarity is reversed for time alignment phase correction.

The 2-Ohm resistor is providing tweeter attenuation.

And it's a two-pole, 12 dB/octave filter on the tweeter. :thmbsp:

Is this schematic correct then, Alex?

http://audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57557&d=1187087123

alexkerhead
08-14-2007, 12:28 PM
Yup, that's a good choice on the cap. :yes:

Crossover frequency is ~2125 Hz from the component values, assuming 8-Ohm drivers.

The tweeter polarity is reversed for time alignment phase correction.

The 2-Ohm resistor is providing tweeter attenuation.

And it's a two-pole, 12 dB/octave filter on the tweeter. :thmbsp:

Is this schematic correct then, Alex?

http://audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57557&d=1187087123

Yes indeedy(for the drawing, I have no idea about the specs though), thanks.

Zilch
08-14-2007, 01:56 PM
Thanks, Alex.

If you check the crossover design table in the Parts Express catalog, you'll see it's textbook. Using those tables, DIYers can build similar for any desired crossover frequency. Take out the 2-Ohm resistor and add an L-pad just before the tweeter for adjustable high frequency.

Looks like the money they saved using that nonpolar electrolytic went into the nice inductor coils in there. Looking at the current prices for inductors, those alone are worth twice what you paid for the speakers.

If the speakers' performance is at all compromised, it's not the fault of the crossovers. Your observations regarding their quality are spot on.

Heads up, folks -- Alex and Zilch want any crossovers with coils out of thrashed speakers otherwise headed for the landfill.... :thmbsp:

ARRAY
08-14-2007, 02:06 PM
...tweets have large magnets for their size. Passive radiators are foams blocks with a spider.

Hey Alex, what kind of markings are on the back of that tweeter?

geaugafletcher
08-14-2007, 03:33 PM
I have a pair in my garage waiting for a new woofer. Bought the pair on a close-out shelf at a pawn shop for $8.

Those woofers are pretty hard to come by. I've watched eBay for the better part of this year and saw one pair for sale...missed 'em though, dangit!

Zilch
08-14-2007, 03:54 PM
Those woofers are pretty hard to come by. I've watched eBay for the better part of this year and saw one pair for sale....Hmmm....

What alternative woofers might play well in those? :scratch2:

You might find some specs on the R/S parts list.

[Gordon'll likely know some good options.... :yes: ]

geaugafletcher
08-14-2007, 05:35 PM
Of the R.S. parts lists I've found online, the woofer in question is not listed. Do you know of good sources online?

I've considered looking for a new driver to use, but without the T/S parameters...

Zilch
08-14-2007, 05:55 PM
Of the R.S. parts lists I've found online, the woofer in question is not listed. Do you know of good sources online?Just the one linked frequently by others here of late:

http://support.radioshack.com/support_audio/17320.htm

With some simple measurements like Fs and the box volume, you could certainly narrow the field.

Also, I noticed yesterday that the new Woofer Tester 3 is just $99.88 introductory at Parts Express:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=390-804

Easily measure your existing good one's T/S parameters with that.

A worthwhile investment if you're into DIY speaker building.... :yes:

geaugafletcher
08-14-2007, 06:00 PM
Thanks!

So that woofer tester really does work? I've seen it in past catalogs and assumed it was a wonky gimmick at best.

Zilch
08-14-2007, 06:12 PM
So that woofer tester really does work?Oh Hell yes. I use WT2 here all the time. Measured some box tunings with it this past weekend, in fact, and system impedance curves last night.

The guys who developed WT2 are really into it. I don't know if they did WT3 too, tho. Here's their site:

http://www.woofertester.com/

alexkerhead
08-14-2007, 10:26 PM
Hey Alex, what kind of markings are on the back of that tweeter?
Ya know, I didn't even think to look closely, I remember it had 8ohm and some other stuff written on it, but I can't remember, I will look when I replace the caps in these, and perhaps use zilch's l-pad idea. :)

Yes, I agree with zilch, send us all your old inductor coils, those things are expensive..lol

jocko_nc
08-15-2007, 12:06 AM
SWEEEET!

I ALWAYS wanted a pair of those when I was about 10 and I saw them at the Shack. Funny thing, I found a pair at the Salvation Army last winter!

Radio Shack was schitzo with their speakers. No rhyme, no reason. Those are unique in their whole lineup and are one of their better efforts, IMO. For what they are, they sound great. For the sound the designers were trying to create, they were a home run. They are warm, old-school sound with a ton of midrange and texture. Very soothing. The highs are a lot more present and even refined than one might think, looking at the tweeter.

Neat speaker. I just wish they hadn't cheaped-out with the plastic grille. Actual wood a la the old Pioneers would have been a classy touch.

jocko.

jocko_nc
08-15-2007, 12:07 AM
Oh yea. All the drivers are some sort of cloth-surround so there is no need to replace rotted foam. They did it right with those.

jocko_nc
08-15-2007, 12:16 AM
Man, I cannot believe RS put coils like that in a speaker. Thet REALLY went downhill with their newer products. I had a pair of the Optimus towers, T-300, I think with Peerless drivers. TOTL, 1982-ish. The crossover in those was a joke, the coil wire was literally hair-thin. Guaranteed to heat up and fail.

That's a serious effort for the day and the price point.

BruceRPA
08-15-2007, 10:42 AM
I am hesitant to post a link to an auction but since there seems to be a lot of interest in these speakers, I found a listing that I thought others might want to be aware of. I have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the seller other than I have purchased a couple of items from him in the past that I am very happy with. I find the seller to be very credible. If you search the auction site for NOVA-10 you should be able to find them. If nothing else, the pictures are excellent. Roll your cursor over the grille to see what the drivers look like.

Here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/REALISTIC-NOVA-10-FLOOR-SPEAKERS-50-WATTS_W0QQitemZ130143049336QQihZ003QQcategoryZ5059 7QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Mods, if you want to edit or delete this post please do so at will.

geaugafletcher
08-16-2007, 12:57 AM
I just pulled the 'good' 8" woofer out of my set and found on the back:

"Thailand CK-813"

Doesn't look like a quality driver to me, likely the last owner threw it in without regard to...well, anything other than basket diameter. The tweeter in that cabinet has scotch tape over part of the cone and surround in an attempt to seal up a hole. These things are increasingly looking like candidates for frankensprecherheit.

Does anybody have measurements on the passive radiators? What are the salient numbers and how on earth do you measure them? [head scratching]

Perhaps I could find a way to make them play nicely with some EPI drivers. Or perhaps they could be combined with some appropriate drivers to make subwoofer(s). Still a bunch of possibilities. If nothing else, I'll pull the coils and eye them greedily for a few minutes before sending them off to one of our resident crossover part hoarders. :)

Zilch
08-16-2007, 01:38 AM
What are the salient numbers and how on earth do you measure them? [head scratching]BB6P wants Fs, Qms, Vas, Cms, Mms, Rms, and Sd.

I am clueless as to how to determine them for passives, but it's likely in the available literature.

I'd swap some quality woofers in there and measure the results. Once I got that sounding good, move on to the tweeters. Those crossovers will work with a wide variety of available drivers.

The passive radiator is tuning the cabinets to some frequency, easily determined with just about any woofer. From the dimensions in the ad Hog posted (22" x 12.25" x 10.25",) they're ~1.2 cuft boxes, a good size for many 8" woofs.... :thmbsp:

ARRAY
08-16-2007, 09:04 AM
Ya know, I didn't even think to look closely, I remember it had 8ohm and some other stuff written on it, but I can't remember, I will look when I replace the caps in these, and perhaps use zilch's l-pad idea. :)

Yes, I agree with zilch, send us all your old inductor coils, those things are expensive..lol

Ah ok, I thought I'd ask because they appear to be the ceramic drive version of these Japanese Matsushi-ta 2.25" cone tweeters.

Kencat
08-16-2007, 08:01 PM
Here's a few pics of a Nova 6. Nice little speaker. Sounds like the Nova line was a good one for RS.

jeffn
08-20-2007, 05:45 PM
A pair of Nova 10's just sold on Ebay for 10bucks or so. Where's the respect?

Zilch
08-20-2007, 06:12 PM
For $10, they're a heckuva DIY platform.

How about something like this?

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_comp/pdf/recom_enclose/ft207d_fw137_2way.pdf

bru87tr
08-25-2007, 09:00 PM
are those the original drivers in that speaker ? they dont look it.

I have some Nova 7Bs and was not particularly impressed with them. ok for $10 though. thats what I got mine for.

I like realistic stuff too but these 7b's didnt impress me.

alexkerhead
08-26-2007, 01:33 PM
are those the original drivers in that speaker ? they dont look it.

I have some Nova 7Bs and was not particularly impressed with them. ok for 410 though. thats what I got mine for.

I like realistic stuff too but these 7b's didnt impress me.

They are very well original drivers. The Nova series is amplification picky, so you might try another receiver or amp, they seem to like Sansui the best from my experiences. Marantz works well as well.

bru87tr
08-26-2007, 01:44 PM
wow, cool drivers. that passive driver doesnt look stock. cool though.

saltwater
01-08-2008, 01:04 PM
so would an epi woofer yield better results? im gonna go see if they are still available today. gonna play then post comments, alex do u still use yours?

alexkerhead
01-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Indeed, I do. The size is good for TV speakers. :)

KingBubba
01-08-2008, 06:40 PM
The layout is similar to to the Altec Boleros. I'd be curious to know how the box dimensions compare.

saltwater
01-08-2008, 07:48 PM
well i grabbed em! i payed 30 bux though! but there home, and pics to come!
Whats the first thing i should do ?

kfa888
01-08-2008, 07:56 PM
well i grabbed em! i payed 30 bux though! but there home, and pics to come!
Whats the first thing i should do ?

Hook them up and see how they sound... duh :D

saltwater
01-08-2008, 08:45 PM
LOL, actually these are in fantastic shape, i cannot belive they look this good. someone died and took em to the pawn shop, had to. very very clean just scratches on bottom from someone setting them on concrete. i took em apart and tightined all the screws. (crossover and all woofers) and gonna plug the rca with my studs and away we go!

alexkerhead
01-08-2008, 11:45 PM
someone died and took em to the pawn shop, had to.

Then the price is the last thing i'd worry about!

j/k.

Congratz on the neato speaker find.

saltwater
01-10-2008, 08:05 PM
so if anyone knows if i can throw some epi drivers in the 1.2 cuf cabs with the passive radiator, also im not liking the tweeter, it sounds a bit harsh to me, but im kindof close to em. i went to radioshack and tried to get new caps for it, but they cant get 6.8uf caps! so parts express here i come, but if i went to say a 10uf 50v would it sound warmer? so much for local business, but i left with new solder gun, solder, and 150 resistors, lol

alexkerhead
01-11-2008, 02:53 AM
You might sample some 8uF caps and see if you like that. The new caps for me(I used 7uFs) sounded nice. I do like west-coasty sound though. 8uF might do the trick and smooth those suckers out for you.

saltwater
01-12-2008, 10:31 PM
I noticed that you said they were, 6.8 uf, 250v. well mine are 6.8 uf and 50v, is it possible that you made a mistake? also did you buy the 7 uf, 250v? also what does the 7 uf, 6.8 uf, 8 uf mean? it only lets stuff 8 khs and higher thru? Im wanting to replace the caps, but unsure on what to buy? what is the diff between east and west coast sound? ones less bass?

soundmotor
01-13-2008, 11:03 AM
You might sample some 8uF caps and see if you like that. The new caps for me(I used 7uFs) sounded nice. I do like west-coasty sound though. 8uF might do the trick and smooth those suckers out for you.

The downside of using a larger value cap (from 6.8uF to 8uF) is that the crossover frequency will be lowered. A couple things might arise from this. Nothing and they sound better as the tweeter is playing lower and can handle the increased excursion. The midrange quality might actually improve. Or, they don't like the the lower frequency and get into trouble mechanically. Eventually they might fail. The difference from 6.8uF to 7uF however is not worth worrying about. On a 10% tolerance cap, 7uF is a pass for 6.8uF. As far as voltages go, 50v-100V is typical for a tweeter cap. You can find 250V ones and they cost more. There is really no advantage to going that high however. Lastly, unless you are extra happy with the orginal cone tweeters (and there are some good ones), I think I would be looking for a dome tweeter to replace them with for the next step in performance upgrades.

saltwater
01-14-2008, 10:09 PM
thanks soundmotor ill take the advise into conideration! also alexerhead same to you!

boreas
08-25-2010, 12:07 PM
Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I recently picked up a pair of Nova-10s and I like them a lot.

Anyway, one poster to this thread offered the suggestion that the Nova-10 might benefit from having the cabinets restuffed. As the photos in this thread show, the stuffing in these is limited to sort of a loose thick felting attached to the interior walls of the cabinet. Not much, really, and I've been thinking about stuffing them with poly fill as was suggested. Has anyone actually done that to a pair of these? What was the result?

Thanks,
John

mashaffer
08-25-2010, 10:32 PM
With passive radiator one might not want to over stuff it. Also to the poster who posted pics of your 6; thank you. My first speaks were 6s and I have always wondered what they looked like inside.

mike

markw300d
09-24-2010, 05:49 PM
I know this is an older thread but I thought I would add this here instead of starting a new one. I spotted these in a little old lady's living room when I put a new faucet in her kitchen sink and asked her to let me know if she decided to get rid of them. When I got done, she had them unplugged and told me to take them. She had not listened to them since her husband had passed away. Karma was smiling upon me that day I guess.

I had to sell my beloved A25's when things got real tight a few months ago. The size of these and the walnut veneer that was in great shape (except for a few stains) reminded me a lot of them. I had good luck cleaning them with Formby's lemon oil treatment and 0000 steel wool as far as the water stains and marks go but the Watco walnut danish oil really brought the tone out in the veneer. Cleaning the grills with q-tips was a pain but worth it. Armor All took care of that dull ashy look old plastic gets in places. Even though the grills are plastic, they are heavy and well made.

I had sold my Sony amp and tuner too so I picked up a TA2020 based T-amp and patched my pc into these speakers. I have a good soundcard (Prodigy HD2) that has RCA out jacks and works well with the T-amp. I replaced the crossover caps the day before the amp got here and was anxious to hear the Nova 10's. I'm happy to say that I am very pleased with these speakers and very grateful to the kind lady who gave them to me. They are not quite in the same class with my A25's but with a little EQ tweaking to give them a little more detail at lower volumes, they do have the clear highs and mids that I really enjoyed with my Dynacos. They are very easy to listen to and I have them mounted horizontally in my living room at the moment.

Realistic did a nice job with these. The solid build quality wasn't really surprising though after owning an STA-2100 receiver for a while. I agree about being cautious adding damping material. I didn't like the results when I added some fiberglass and took it out. I think it messes with the passive radiator/box tuning. No more than I have in them, I'd love to use the boxes for something really nice one day but for now I'm very happy with my low budget stereo.

It's nice to have my music back. :music: I'm listening to Doc Watson at the moment. Acoustic stuff sounds great on these Nova 10's!

mark

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww246/markw300d/nova10-4.jpg?t=1285364202
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww246/markw300d/nova10-5.jpg?t=1285364238
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww246/markw300d/Nova10-cat.jpg?t=1285364284

deaner33
09-24-2010, 06:37 PM
Can the badges be rotated on yours? They can on my Nova 6's which is kinda cool.

Copa1934
09-24-2010, 06:47 PM
Those are sweat, and bring back fond memories of my days at RS. Very cool! Only thing I would consider is recapping to freshen them up. RS typically used electrolytic's and these are getting, or at that age now. As you can tell by my sig I have a thing still for RS stuff.

markw300d
09-24-2010, 06:52 PM
Can the badges be rotated on yours? They can on my Nova 6's which is kinda cool.

Yes, That is why the one is crooked. I had rotated it when cleaning the grills. I like how they look on horizontally for now and rotating the badges made the option easy to try. I have them resting on large shelf brackets with felt felt pads stuck to them and toed in just a little.

Only thing I would consider is recapping to freshen them up.

Already done! :D

Live_Wire
09-24-2010, 06:55 PM
@deaner33: The emblems on mine cannot be rotated, although they do move about a 1/8 of a turn. I'm afraid to move them much more and break em, so not entirely sure.

@markw300d: Great pickup. These are really great little speakers, I just put mine into my main system just because I needed floor space mainly, but they really sound good. I have mine on a Yamaha RX-397. The bass is not exaggerated and high frequencies are fairly clean.

Yours look like their in great shape. Mine have been in the family since 1982 when my mom got them, but my uncle had them in his garage for a couple years so the cabinets are a little rough. I have new caps on the way for mine, some solens. I'll be interested to hear the difference.

deaner33
09-24-2010, 07:06 PM
Try pulling them out slighly, then turn them. Mine are spring (?) loaded. They look exactly the same so I'd be surprised if yours don't turn.

markw300d
09-24-2010, 07:18 PM
My house is small and I had to move my pc to the corner of the living room when my son moved back in. I didn't want to put these on stands but this option seems to work well for now.

The Realistic stuff brings back fond memories for many. Most cities of any size had a Radio Shack when we were in high school (late 70's for me) where we could go listen to decent audio gear and visualize putting our first stereo system together. Ours was just a mile or so from my house so I stopped in a lot. I am not sure if it was the gear or the gal that worked there but those were fun and much simpler times that I won't forget.

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww246/markw300d/Nova10-6.jpg?t=1285370073

Copa1934
09-24-2010, 07:23 PM
For me it was torturous. My parents had three business, one of which was two doors down from a larger RS store in Pomona CA, and of course I worked in the store that was 20 miles away! But when I was at the "Pomona" store, guess where I spent every minute I had time?

Live_Wire
09-24-2010, 07:36 PM
Try pulling them out slighly, then turn them. Mine are spring (?) loaded. They look exactly the same so I'd be surprised if yours don't turn.

I'll give that a shot later tonight.

reggaenaut
09-24-2010, 07:40 PM
Here's a few pics of a Nova 6. Nice little speaker. Sounds like the Nova line was a good one for RS.

Thanks for the pictures. I am fond of the Nova 6. I changed the tweeter to a soft dome with very good results. Now doing duty in my bedroom.

boreas
09-24-2010, 11:35 PM
[QUOTE]@markw300d: Great pickup. These are really great little speakers, I just put mine into my main system just because I needed floor space mainly, but they really sound good. I have mine on a Yamaha RX-397. The bass is not exaggerated and high frequencies are fairly clean.

+1 on that. I like mine very much. I think the highs are amazing, considering that they're coming from that dinky little cone tweet. ;) The bass is perhaps understated a bit but clean and sweet.

Yours look like their in great shape.

They really do! Mine had been languishing in a thrift for 6 or 7 months at a ridiculous price. (60 bucks? 80?) When they got reduced to $10.00 I snapped them up (less the 40% senior discount. :)) I've steamed out and sanded out all but one of the dings and scratches but still need to put a finish on them. I'll do that when I get the Model Seventeens finished.

Nice toys! :)

John

boreas
09-25-2010, 01:29 AM
I like how they look on horizontally for now and rotating the badges made the option easy to try

So do I. Do you notice any difference in the sound? I was thinking about swapping positions with the woofer and PR in one so that, when horizontal the tweets would be high, the passives would be inside and woofers outside. I wonder what that would do for them.

John

boreas
09-25-2010, 01:34 AM
I agree about being cautious adding damping material. I didn't like the results when I added some fiberglass and took it out. I think it messes with the passive radiator/box tuning.

Thanks, Mark. You saved me some trouble. ;) Actually, I've grown to like these on their own terms. They may not be world-beaters but they're really easy to listen to, no bad habits at all. They seem to do classical and vocal music very well too.

John

Live_Wire
09-25-2010, 08:12 AM
The badges on mine do rotate, I got up the courage to try it. Just like deaner33 said, they pull out.

markw300d
09-25-2010, 09:00 AM
So do I. Do you notice any difference in the sound? I was thinking about swapping positions with the woofer and PR in one so that, when horizontal the tweets would be high, the passives would be inside and woofers outside. I wonder what that would do for them.

John

I didn't really get to listen to them vertically to compare. I kept the woofers on the inside. I was going to swap the woofer and PR on the right speaker but the PR is just a hair larger and would not flush mount in the woofer hole. I don't really notice a difference in sound from having one tweeter 8" or so lower but my ears aren't as critical as some. My room isn't a great deal wider than my speakers so I doubt that I will move the woofers to the outside but I may try it one day just to hear it and compare.

gabr1el
11-23-2010, 11:23 PM
I would just like to say I just got a pair of Realistic nova 10 in near mint condition and when played by my Harman Kardon A300 it was just nice to hear what comes out these two together.

boreas
11-23-2010, 11:26 PM
I would just like to say I just got a pair of Realistic nova 10 in near mint condition and when played by my Harman Kardon A300 it was just nice to hear what comes out these two together.

Yup! They're pretty nice.

John

gabr1el
12-15-2010, 11:10 AM
Just found this page about ABR speakers, thought it would ad up something good to this conversations.
http://reviews.ebay.com/Auxiliary-Bass-Radiator-A-B-R-and-other-speaker-types_W0QQugidZ10000000011476799
also found out that these nova 10's when placed in the floor sound better then when raised, maybe I get a better bass because they are at 6 ft across my 2 ft bottom tall indonesian bed and the base is made of solid wood so I get a better resonance when I'm on bed than in front of the speakers, kind of like a sweet spot!

markw300d
12-15-2010, 12:25 PM
I read that page while looking for info on mine. Ed Hanlon, who operates the Realistic yahoo user's group added 10 grams to the passive radiator in a pair of Optimus 27's (I think that was the model) to lower the bass response a little bit. I've done the same to mine. Two nickels comes to about 10 grams if they are not warn bad. I used a little RTV and attached them to the back of the PR. I also added some bracing to the front baffle and rear of the box then added about an inch and half of fiberglass insulation. I think it helped some. The recap really cleaned the sound of these up nice.

Rockyhill
12-15-2010, 01:38 PM
Any opinions on Realistic Nova-9? A seller is asking $125 obo.

markw300d
12-15-2010, 02:30 PM
Any opinions on Realistic Nova-9? A seller is asking $125 obo.

That's probably a little steep but those are one of the more uncommon Nova series speakers that have a real vintage look with those striped fabric grills. I would think they would have good bass with that big woofer. I'd give them a listen at least.

Fr33way
12-15-2010, 04:05 PM

John

I know this is old so you either have or have not found this out, the cutouts are NOT the same for the PR and the woofer, thus, you can't mirror image.

markw300d
12-15-2010, 05:10 PM
Yep...sure did. I went to swap them and the PR is slightly larger. I flipped them anyway. It puts the tweeter about 8" lower than the other one but I don't really hear where it causes an issue.

captaingamez
11-21-2012, 02:47 PM
reviving an old post with new information.

these speakers can be mirrored, and realistic designed them to be mirrored.

if you remove the passive radiator, you will see there is an 8 inch woofer cutout for the woofer, and it already has metal screw lugs in the wood that fit the woofer screws. you just put the passive radiator over the woofer's previous hole and drill new screw holes in.

then if you notice, when standing these speakers vertical, the woofer and P.R. are offset to the right about a half inch, which becomes the bottom if horizontal.

they even made it so the realistic emblem is spring loaded and rotates horizontal.

i just got these speakers for a steal and they sound great, but even better if horizontally mirrored with the passive inside and the woofer outside with the tweeter on top in between.