View Full Version : Holm Audio in IL Sucks!!!!!

Punker X
12-09-2003, 03:10 PM
Here's a link to their website;

http://www.holmaudio.com/usedDemo.htm

Notice the Linn LP12 with Rega RB600 arm for $695.

I've been going back and for with them for the past week and half over the condition of the table and made them written offer of $625. The owner Mike Holm accepted the offer. I called and gave a credit card and was told it would be shipped out last Thursday and they would forward the tracking number.

Here it is Tuesday and no tracking number. I call and talk to the Manager, then Mike the owner gets on and said he made a mistake, he looked up the price of the arm and he thinks the arm itself is worth $600. He told me that he could not go through with the deal and that we could renegoitate or he would credit my card.

Just wanted to warn people away from this buisness. With a written and accepted offer he reneg's on the deal.

I'm sure there is some type of legal action I could take, but with him offering a refund and it being a used piece of gear, its really not worth the trouble.

Just wanted to share and warn my friends to stay away from this guy.

X

boostcrazy
12-09-2003, 03:48 PM
I have been to there store before and from they way it looks it is a wonder they sell anything.me and the wife were visiting friends in olympia fields and decided to stop in. they have gear sitting around everywere and 3/4 of it is not hooked up. But the kicker was when i asked them to listen to a antique sound labs intergrated amp the basicily blew me off! I guess i did not look the part to be in there store. just my .02.:)

Grumpy
12-09-2003, 04:02 PM
What a HUGE AHOLE !!!!

If that ain't fraud then i don't know what is...

MikE
12-09-2003, 04:35 PM
If it was a salesmen's mistake I could understand, though in good faith they should honor the deal. But the fact that the owner made the mistake!? :wtf: Where's the integrity? The ad is vague but sounds like everyone knew the price was for not just the arm. MikE

Grumpy
12-09-2003, 05:16 PM
Mike

He changed the ad. It stated the table included the arm. I feel bad since i was the one who found the table for punker to begin with.

The ad now includes a much cheaper arm.

MikE
12-09-2003, 05:27 PM
He changed the ad. I figured as much. An honest mistake, but should have stuck to their deal. Shame on them. MikE

Toasted Almond
12-09-2003, 05:29 PM
You guys that do a lot of other forums and sites should bury the guy with negative feedback. I've found that hitting in the pocketbook is quite satisfying.

Toasted Almond

MikE
12-09-2003, 05:39 PM
Whatever happened to the policy of NOT running the card untill the product is shipped?! MikE

Punker X
12-09-2003, 06:14 PM
The ad looks the same to me.. even hit refresh a couple of times. Even shows three other tables that are already sold.

There was no honest mistake in this transaction. They offered me the table for $720 with shipping, I countered with a $650 with shipping offer. It was accepted, paid for and was suppose to be shipped. It was throughly discussed what was included and what wasn't included in the deal. We even discussed how it would be packed for shipping.

Thing is if I had walked into their store and made the offer, I would have been out the door with the table. After the table was paid for, the owner looked up the price of the arm and found out that new they sell for $600. Which I don't believe. I don't even think they have made the RB600 for a while. Think they dropped it for the 1000. He probably looked at ebay and figures he should get a grand for the table. He probably had a local come in and offer more money for the table and just blew me off.

X

THOR
12-09-2003, 07:08 PM
I emailed him, politely told him that his should be ashamed, and that word of his fraudulent business dealing was spreading through the online audio forums like wildfire and that I was glad I was warned to stay away from him and that many others will be as well ;)

F1nut
12-09-2003, 08:10 PM
Thor,

My hat is off to you sir, well done!

F1

michael w
12-09-2003, 08:15 PM
Be very careful when you go badmouthing a dealer (or anyone else) online.

Unless you have incontrovertible proof of their wrongdoings it may be you who gets cleaned out in the courts.

:eek:

As for the Rega arm, the RB600 is a current model, it was never replaced by the RB1000.

The RB600 is a standard fitment on the Rega 25 table and the arm has a MSRP of $650.

cheerio

Andyman
12-09-2003, 08:15 PM
Thor, BABY!!!!

Let that hammer fly!

Kudos, my friend!

Mr Natural
12-09-2003, 08:19 PM
Hey X-

You might want to send him this - if you're PO'd enuff

JCturboT
12-09-2003, 08:33 PM
Mike,
Sorry to hear of this-I know you were really looking forward to picking up that Linn.

Jeff

Toasted Almond
12-09-2003, 08:45 PM
Hey God of Thunder,

I hope at the end of your e-mail you wished him a fruitful holiday selling season. I pride myself in taking the act of "twisting the knife" once it's in, to a level previously unknown to mere mortals.

Toasted Almond

Bauhausler
12-10-2003, 01:52 AM
I have to wonder how this turntable was suddenly discovered to be too valuable to sell at a price already negotiated. Was it really worth alienating a stranger, a possibly well connected one, for a few extra bucks? It sounds like they just don't care about reputation. If they were concerned in the least with saving face they would have done the old sc*ew the pooch "Dude, we're really sorry, it's just not in proper shape and we couldn't sell it with this problem we just dscovered while we were packing it. Please don't be mad but we just won't put a piece of gear in your hands that we can't stand behind", then they sell it out the back door to the guy who offered $36 more. That sounds like a shop with more problems than just credibility, like they don't even know the value of their inventory & can't be bothered to lie convincingly to cover up.
So sorry about that.

Punker X
12-10-2003, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by Bauhausler
If they were concerned in the least with saving face they would have done the old sc*ew the pooch "Dude, we're really sorry, it's just not in proper shape and we couldn't sell it

I also thought the same thing, or if it were my business. I would have probably blamed it on a new sales person who didn't know I had sold the table. It went out the door before we could pull and start packing it. I'm really sorry, here's your refund and I'm sending you a some cables for your trouble. The only thing I can think of is that he thought I would raise my offer and give him twice as much as we agreed upon.

X

THOR
12-10-2003, 07:33 PM
The bastards emailed me back! Here is what they said:

Dear Sir,

Get your facts straight. The listing for the Linn LP12 with Rega RB600 arm was put on our web site at the wrong price. It was supposed to be $1095 and not $695. The arm alone is current and sells for $695. We credited the person his amount back. It was an honest mistake - NO FRAUD INTENDED.

Holm Audio
2050 West 75th Street
Woodridge, IL 60517
(630)663-1298
www.holmaudio.com

What shall I craft for a response??
;)

Fisherdude
12-10-2003, 09:12 PM
Hi guys...

I've been sort of staying out of this one, but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

We've all seen ads in newspapers and flyers that contain the phrase: "Not responsible for typographical errors." It sounds like they mistakenly put the price for just the arm on the web site, instead of for the arm and TT together. Whatever took place in the next several parts of the communication gets a little confusing! It certainly sounds like Holm didn't handle it as well as they could have. It appears, and I'm obviously just guessing!, that they first tried to make a deal for a price close to the price on the web site, realized too late that they were losing money on the deal, and then backed out entirely. Not the smoothest thing I've ever seen! And, it certainly didn't make them any friends, much less a new and loyal customer.

Bottom line, though, if they're selling an $11,000 item, and the web site administrator mistakenly leaves off the first "1", they're not obligated to sell it for $1,000.

Clay,
pulling on his armored shorts.

THOR
12-10-2003, 09:30 PM
True, but Punker then counteroffered and they accepted his offer and then charged his credit card, that's a purchase, you don't turn around and say "oops" after you made the sale. Period the end after they charged his card they should have shipped the item.

Grumpy
12-10-2003, 09:44 PM
Clay

Go back and re read the thread. Punker negotiated with them on the table AND arm. Questions were asked about both. A price was agreed upon by both Holm Audio and Punker. Punker paid for the item. The dealer then changed their mind after the item was paid for.

This was not an Honest typo. This was just plain stupidity and greed on the Dealers part.

Pretty straight forward.

Grumpy

THOR
12-10-2003, 10:14 PM
That sounds like a good reply to their email Grumps I'll send it ;)

THOR
12-10-2003, 10:21 PM
I added TA's tag line as well:

Dear Sir,
I am not stupid so don't try to lie to me, I do have the facts straight. Does this sound familiar?

The person negotiated with you on the table AND arm. Questions were asked about both. A price was agreed upon by both Holm Audio and the person. The person paid for the item. You then changed your mind after the item was paid for.

This was not an honest typo. This was just plain stupidity and greed on your part.

Pretty straight forward.

I wish you a fruitful holiday selling season.

;)

heathkit tv
12-10-2003, 10:52 PM
You girls are being far too nice. Send him this link instead of the flowery nicities:

http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy

Don't click on it if you're easily offended or there are children about. Or at least keep the volume low as it's naughty. I LIKE IT!

Anthony

Wardsweb
12-10-2003, 11:02 PM
http://www.dogdoo.com/

Grumpy
12-10-2003, 11:03 PM
That Dealer is so full of Chit it ain't funny. You can buy a RB900 for 599.00 from Brit Audio who I am sure is much more reputable then that Dick weed ( Holm Audio )

I wouldn't buy a freaking cartridge mounting screw from him !!

RuSsMaN
12-10-2003, 11:06 PM
"This means a large, highly cohesive and elastic bowel movement, with a dark brown patina."

I'm CRYING over here!!!

BrianB
12-11-2003, 12:01 AM
In my opinion, Holm Audio has never been the same since Albert left a few years back. Some customers loved the man, and others hated him, but he ALWAYS stood by his word...

Fisherdude
12-11-2003, 12:52 AM
I stand corrected!

Sorry, I must have skipped over the part about the credit card being charged. That, as the saying goes, changes everything!

Clay

Punker X
12-11-2003, 06:58 AM
Thanks to everyone for the support.

I wasn't all that interested in the Rega arm and probably would have eventually sold it and got something better. Both table and arm were represented as Used. So even if the Arm has an MSRP of $650 why should I pay that much.

If indeed it had been a typo mistake on their webpage, I would have understood. I'm pasting the exchange between Holm and myself so all can see I was clearly negotiating for both arm and table. If right from the start they had told me that the arm was new and it was a typo and here is the real price. I would have probably meet or offered close to their current price. As it is sits now I would pic boxes from their trash for the way they treated me.

Here's the exchange between myself and Holm. After which I called and gave them my credit card and shipping info. When on the phone they said it would be out in that nights USP shipment. When I called on Tuesday with no shipping number or table. The owner Mike Holm, who expcepted my offer got on the phone. He said he made a mistake, he was looking on the internet and found that RB600's new go for $650 and he couldn't sell the table and arm for the agreed upon price.

Here's exactly what happened:

Hi Mike,

I just talked with Mike Holm about your offer on the Linn and he said that "that would be fine." If you would like to email or call me with a credit card #, and exp., we accept everything but American Express. I might alsobe able to get this out today to you and I will email you the UPS Tracking # so that you can follow it.

Thanks,

Dan Dusek, Manager
Holm Audio
2050 West 75th Street
Woodridge, IL 60517
(630) 663-1298
www.holmaudio.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2003 6:25 AM
To: Holm Audio
Subject: RE: Linn LP12

Dan,

I fully understand, was quite busy this past weekend also.

I have received and shipped quite a few turntables myself. The thing that concerns me is that the dust cover is not sitting on the table when isolated in the box. I've seen too many crack this way also the can shift scratching the base and damaging the arm. I'm also concerned about the platter, I've seen where it will come off in shipping crack the dust cover and damage the arm.

I would very much like to get this table. Would you take $625 plus shipping? For a total of $650?

I have a Benz Glider that I would be using, so no need for a cartridge.

Regards,

Mike

Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 12:56 PM
To: evilrt

Hi Mike,

Sorry for the delay, but things have been crazy around here with the Holiday season.

The table is in very good working order (belt is not slipping, bearing seams to be just fine).
It even has an extra belt.
It does not have a cartridge. (if you would like to buy one we sell Grado, Dynavector, Goldring and Rega)
It does not have the box or manual. The table will be boxed so that it does not move around, and then double boxed around that. (In the past we have never experienced any problems this way)
Shipping to your area code on this table with insurance will be $25 + $695
for the table= $720

Dan Dusek, Manager
Holm Audio
2050 West 75th Street
Woodridge, IL 60517
(630) 663-1298
www.holmaudio.com

Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 6:12 AM
To: evilrt@dakotart.com; Holm Audio

Dan,

Sent this message last Wednesday evening. Has the table been sold? Still very interested in it.

Regards,

Mike

Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 8:28 PM
To: Holm Audio

Dan,

Thanks for the quick reply. I am very interested in this turntable.

Is it in working order? Good belt and bearings on the platter and arm? Is there a cartridge included?

Is there any original documentation included with the table?

As far as shipping goes. Does it have the original box and packing material?
If not can you described how it will be packed? I would also need to know the shipping charges to area code 48507.

Regards,

Mike

Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 7:25 PM
To: evilrt

Hi Mike,

The Linn is still available.
I do not have any pictures.
It is a darker cherry with 4 routed out horizontal lines around the full base. Serial number - 040207
It is in very good shape, the dust cover is also tinted.
We so sell out of state.

Let me know if you have any other questions or if you would like to purchase this table.

Thanks,

Dan Dusek, Manager
Holm Audio
2050 West 75th Street
Woodridge, IL 60517
(630) 663-1298
www.holmaudio.com

Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 4:40 PM
To: info@holmaudio.com
Subject: Linn LP12

Greetings,

Came across your website and I'm very interested in you the Linn LP12 listed with the RB600 arm.

Is it still available? Do you have pictures? If not what type of base in on the turntable and what type of condition is it in?

Do you sell out of state. I'm in Michigan and would need to have the turntable shipped.

Regards,

Mike Williams

PastorEric
12-11-2003, 11:55 AM
I believe Albert is now with Symphony SOund out of Chicago

THOR
12-11-2003, 06:46 PM
No answer from the dickhead to my email ;)

Toasted Almond
12-11-2003, 10:30 PM
He's probably too busy trying to snake other people. No time to answer truthful e-mails.

Toasted Almond

THOR
12-12-2003, 07:54 PM
Bastard still hasn't answered ;)

Grumpy
12-12-2003, 09:10 PM
Thor

I prolly would not hold my breath Waiting for a reply unless you inquired about some black box and a Bose.

Grumpy

ajmicek
12-13-2003, 01:36 AM
haha I agree Grumpy - "hello, I am convinced that anything that says bose is automatically better. i have plenty of cash. can you help me?"

Celt
12-13-2003, 11:04 AM
Hmm...aren't Bose lovers just "Bose-O's?" :D

gyusher
12-17-2003, 06:55 PM
Please do not let me piss you guys off. . .Attached is my self portrait. . .You can see I take care of buisness myself. . .If you have a toilet on your porch you might be a redneck. . . .

jbird4
12-18-2003, 01:02 PM
Hey Gyusher,

Where did you find that picture of ME!?? ....jeeze and they didn't even get my 'good' side.:eek:

gyusher
12-18-2003, 05:20 PM
I must know you as I have known RedNecks, some are good friends, some are not. . .