View Full Version : Fisher MT 6410 info needed...

Art K.
09-01-2007, 08:38 PM
Bought the above table today for $5. Anyone have any info on it, and how in the world do you remove the platter???

Art K.
09-02-2007, 10:15 AM
Does anyone know how to remove the platter on this Fisher turntable? I need to replace the belt

Fisherdude
09-02-2007, 03:58 PM
Should be the same as most turntables. Take the mat off, and there should be holes in the platter. Fingers through the holes, thumb on the spindle, push and pull. Should pop right off.

Do this with the turntable sitting on a well padded surface, like the sofa.:yes:

Art K.
09-02-2007, 05:53 PM
I'll try again but it certainly wasn't working before...perhaps it was the engineer...

Art K.
09-02-2007, 05:55 PM
Nope...didn't work.

hakaplan
09-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Art, you need a helper. One person pulls up on the platter while the other taps on the spindle with a mallet or a hammer covered by a cloth to protect the spindle. It will come off.....eventually. :D

Art K.
09-02-2007, 06:37 PM
Not budging...hmmm!

Michael-Otto
09-03-2007, 02:42 AM
From a FISHER catalog, beginning eighties, only in german

Plattenspieler MT-6410
Ein schwerer Druckguß-Aluminium-Plattenteller mit eingefrästen Stroboskop-Marken prägt das technische Bild dieses halbautomatischen HiFi-Plattenspielers. Mit einem elektronisch geregelten, ausgereiften Gleichstrommotor und dem Riemenantrieb verfügt dieser Plattenspieler über eine ausgesproche solide Technik, die Laufruhe unc gute Gleichlaufeigenschaften verbürgt. Die Gleichlaufschwankungen betragen nach WRMS auch nur
0,05 %.
Das magnetische Tonabnehmer System mit einem sphärisch geschliffenem Diamant wird in einem geraden UltraleichtTonarm trägheitsarm über die Plattenoberfläche geführt. Eine viskosegedämpfte Absenkvorrichtung dient als Tonarm-Aufsetzhilfe. Das Abheben des Tonarmes, die Rückführung in die Ruheposition und die vollständige Endabschaltung des Motors erfolgen automatisch am Ende der Platte oder auf Tastendruck zum Unterbrechen der Wiedergabe.
Die Umschaltung von 33 auf 45 U/min geschieht ebenfalls über Drucktasten, denen die jeweilige Feineinstellung zugeordnet ist. Die Tasten und Einsteller liegen an der Vorderseite des Gerätes und gestatten die Bedienung auch bei geschlossener Haube. Schutz gegen Trittschall und akustische Rückkopplung bieten die großen Schock-Absorber Gerätefüße.

PLATTENSPIELER MT-6410
Funktionsprinzip Halbautomatik
Antriebsart Riemenantrieb
Motor Gleichstrom-Servomotor
Geschwindigkeiten 33 1/3, 45 U min.
Geschwindigkeits-Feineinstellung ± 3 %
Gleichlaufschwankungen WMRS 0,05 %, DIN ± 0,14 %
Rumpel-Geräuschspannungsabstand (DIN B) 65 dB
Einstellbereich der Auflagekraft 0 - 30 mN
Empfohlene Auflagekraft 20 mN
Serienmäßiges Tonabnehmersystern G-41 (Audio Technica)
Netzanschluß 110/220 V, 50/60 Hz
Leistungsaufnahme 4 Watt
Abmessungen (B x H x T) -Haube geschlosssen 440 x 135 x 385 mm
Gewicht 4,6 kg

Michael-Otto

ampegdan
09-03-2007, 10:29 AM
Yeah, what he said.....

Urizen
09-03-2007, 10:33 AM
Yeah, what he said.....:D

Googled:

Record player MT-6410
A heavy pressure pouring aluminum plate plate also in-milled stroboscope marks coins/shapes the technical picture of this semiautomatic HiFi record player. With an electronically regulated, matured direct current motor and the belt drive this record player has a ausgesproche solid technology, which guarantees quiet running unc good synchronisation characteristics. Flutters amount to after WRMS also only
0.05%.
Magnetic pick-up the system with a sphericalally polished diamond is led in a straight ultralight clay/tone arm trägheitsarm across the disk surface. An viscose rayon-absorbed bore fixture serves as a clay/tone arm putting on assistance. Taking the clay/tone arm, the feedback off into the quiescent position and the complete Endabschaltung of the engine take place automatically at the end of the plate or on depressing the key for interrupting the rendition.
The change-over of 33 to 45 rpm takes place likewise over push buttons, the respective micro-adjustment is assigned to which. The keys and adjuster are because of the front of the equipment and permit the operation also with closed hood. Protection against impact sound and acoustic feedback offer the large shock absorbers of equipment feet.

RECORD PLAYER MT-6410
Operational principle half mechanism
Drive system belt drive
Engine direct current servo actuator
Speeds of 33 1/3, 45 U min.
Speed micro-adjustment ± 3%
Flutters WMRS 0.05%, DIN ± 0.14%
Rumpel weighted signal-to-noise ratio (DIN B) 65 railways
Range of adjustment of the tracking force 0 30 mN
Recommended tracking force 20 mN
Standard Tonabnehmersystern G-41 (audio Technica)
Mains connection 110/220 V, 50/60 cycles per second
Capacity 4 Watts
Dimensions (B x H x T) - hood geschlosssen 440 x 135 x 385 mm
Weight 4.6 kg

Art K.
09-03-2007, 12:00 PM
Thanks guys...I still wish I could figure out how to get the platter off...hmm...

Doug G.
09-03-2007, 01:52 PM
Boy, if it makes the sound of 65 railways, it might be kinda hard to hear any music. :yikes: :D

Doug

ampegdan
09-03-2007, 04:33 PM
Achtung! The clay tonearm is the key to achieving utter and complete Endabschaltung. Farkengruven!
My MT-6250 direct drive comes off pretty easily; I wish I could help you. Love to see a pic though, don't see too many Fishers on here.
Dan

hakaplan
09-03-2007, 04:34 PM
Thanks guys...I still wish I could figure out how to get the platter off...hmm...

Keep tapping the spindle with the mallet while pulling up on the platter. I'm telling you it will come off.

Art K.
09-03-2007, 05:44 PM
Ok.

Art K.
09-03-2007, 05:52 PM
"don't see too many Fishers on here"

Bet there's a reason for that!!!! LOL!!

Art K.
09-03-2007, 07:41 PM
Still not working and any more tapping seems futile...it must come off a different way.

Art K.
09-04-2007, 08:03 PM
Finally got the damn platter off...geez!

hakaplan
09-04-2007, 08:53 PM
Hmmm, I wonder if this is a "see I told ya so" moment? :D

Art K.
09-04-2007, 09:15 PM
Hmmm, I wonder if this is a "see I told ya so" moment? :D

It very well could be!

chillwolf
09-04-2007, 11:43 PM
Hey Kyle, I have a Fisher MT 6310. Never had a problem getting the platter off, it came up with very little effort. Don't know why yours was so hard to remove?
It's a fairly decent TT, I used it for a while in my main system. For $5, it's a nice score and worth playing around with.
Here's a pic of mine.

Art K.
09-05-2007, 12:22 AM
Thanks...nice pic! BTW call me Art...Kyle's my last name. Yep I'm one of those strange folks who use my real name. If I could figure out how to change that I probably would...except there are some folks here who recognize me from other forums so it's alright.

bully
09-05-2007, 07:23 AM
I used an MT-6330 DD 160-pole motor for several years. Now it is packed in its original box. I found it to be a quite good TT.

Art K.
09-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Here it is, playing it's little heart out!!!

hakaplan
09-05-2007, 02:42 PM
Looks nice, Art. Playing something on the WB label. What might that be?

Art K.
09-05-2007, 03:03 PM
Twas George Benson "Breezin", followed by David Gilmore "About Face"....bought the last one from the guy who sold me the TT....in like new condition! The Turntable was very dirty and required quite a cleanup and next up is the dustcover...it'll make someone a very nice analog front end...I'm thinkin' probably my stepdaughter (she's 33 yrs old so it's hard for me to say stepdaughter with a straight face).

Art K.
09-05-2007, 05:50 PM
I think the cartridge on this booger is an AT3600, anyone have a recommended tracking force for it...from personal experience?

Art K.
09-05-2007, 06:35 PM
What would be a good inexpensive replacement for this cartridge, say a Shure or something.

ampegdan
09-05-2007, 06:36 PM
Those are both a lot newer than mine. The silver one looks a lot like the Hitachi I sold last year. Glad you got it going. Just picked up a BPC Fisher for a friend's parents to CD all their vinyl with, but it doesn't even have adjustable tracking force. The AT3600 is an entry-level utility cart, but the styli are cheap and field replaceable. Don't know the force spec-Howard will probably chime in with that.

hakaplan
09-05-2007, 09:46 PM
The AT3600 is an entry-level utility cart, but the styli are cheap and field replaceable. Don't know the force spec-Howard will probably chime in with that.
Dan, you know me too well. :D

Yes, it's a conical stylus, 1.5-3g tracking force. It's not really the best match for the low mass arm. If the Shure M97xE is ever back in stock, that's a good one, the AT440MLa, AT120E, and even the p-mounts, like the ME94P at LPgear, or the AT92E at garage-a-records (they come with p-mount adapters). P-mounts all track at 1.25g. Grados are a question mark--they usually recommend heavier arms for them--they're not spectacular trackers to begin with and I don't know how they'd fare with this arm--and don't know if they would hum.

overthehill
10-15-2009, 08:29 AM
Art, I have the same Fisher Turntable and the platter is stuck also. Does the platter come off with the spindle or will the platter come though the spindle? Thanks In advance.

lotuszr7
11-13-2009, 07:27 PM
I just inherited a Fisher MT-6410 and need to buy a new belt and take off the turntable and can't.

What belt should I buy?
How do you remove the TT? I've pulled, twisted, pulled, and it will not budge.

Thanks for any info. you can send my way!

Sam Cogley
11-13-2009, 07:30 PM
I just inherited a Fisher MT-6410 and need to buy a new belt and take off the turntable and can't.

What belt should I buy?
How do you remove the TT? I've pulled, twisted, pulled, and it will not budge.

Thanks for any info. you can send my way!

As said earlier in this thread - take off the mat, put your fingers in the holes on either side of the spindle, and give the spindle a sharp (but not smashing) rap with a hammer. The most raps I've needed to free a platter? Three.

lotuszr7
11-13-2009, 07:44 PM
As said earlier in this thread - take off the mat, put your fingers in the holes on either side of the spindle, and give the spindle a sharp (but not smashing) rap with a hammer. The most raps I've needed to free a platter? Three.

Thanks Sam. I'm gonna try tomorrow since I don't want to wake my neighbors in the apt below me. I'm guessing since this has been sitting in a closet for so long it's just being a little stubborn. Thanks again for the info. I'll be sure to post pics of my success, as I'm determined to get the TT off.

I've seen two sizes of belts for this model.
1. FTBM 23.6 - http://www.studiosoundelectronics.com/turntable.htm#belts
or
2. Turntable Drive Belt 23.227x .188" x .031" - http://www.ewebcart.com/repost?mid=2687&id=5369a764-d0b8-11de-b743-a753255b2a05&u=%2Fcgi-bin%2Fcart.pl

Any idea which belt I should buy?

Sorry, I'm a total Rookie and have no idea about this stuff. Just trying to get my Nana's record player to work to listen to some old records I inherited.

Thanks again!
Brian

Sam Cogley
11-13-2009, 07:49 PM
If you're hitting it hard enough to wake the neighbors, you're in danger of damaging something. Just tap it, don't smash it.

lotuszr7
11-13-2009, 07:59 PM
If you're hitting it hard enough to wake the neighbors, you're in danger of damaging something. Just tap it, don't smash it.

Again, thanks and great advice. Will do. I'll let you know how it goes.

lotuszr7
11-15-2009, 03:28 PM
Pulled with my two thumbs on the two holes and tapped, tapped, tapped, the center metal nub, with a cloth covering it at 1st then without a cloth, to only break the plastic off the top of the center nub to reveal a metal nub underneath.

This turntable is just to stuck to the center nub. If anyone has any other advice, and pictures would be great, I'm all ears and eyes. Would WD40 help? Are these Fishers even worth the effort?

If I can't get this turntable off then I can't replace the belt, then this is a paperweight and going to the salvation army. I'll then just pick up a new one to listen to the old records I inherited but it sure would be great to just buy a new belt for $15 to get this going. I just need to get the TT off. :scratch2:

Thanks in advance,
Brian

Broken.Ears
08-25-2013, 09:28 PM
Dredging this thread up from the past. I just picked one of these up with a broken belt.

For the life of me I cannot get the platter off this turntable. I've tried tapping, lifting, pulling. Nothing is working. I put a lot of force on it during one try and the aluminum platter started to flex. There is a small amount of play when lifting up - maybe 1/8", but after that it very serious about staying on. If I didn't know any better, I would think there is some kind of clip or some-such thing, but I don't see anything on the top.

I've had stubborn platters in the past, but nothing this hard. Suggestions?

EDIT:

Good god! That was THE hardest platter I have ever removed. I had to put it on the floor, sit in a chair, put both feet on the side of the housing and basically jackhammer the platter up and down until it came free. It took two sessions of that to get it off. I knew I was getting somewhere after the first round because the play in the platter increased to about 1/2". There was a point when I was afraid I was going to break it. It's over now, thankfully.

FURTHER EDIT:
To answer a question further up: The platter does slide over the spindle (eventually).