View Full Version : Stanton 681EEE

majick47
09-07-2007, 01:42 AM
Some time ago I won a Sony PS-X500 headshell on Ebay for fairly short money and along with the headshell it included a vintage Stanton 681eee cartridge. From what I could tell the stylus was not the correct one for that cartridge, a #72 Stanton clear plastic stylus. I tried it out on a LP and it sounded like it might be worn out since the high frequencies were distorted. I just picked up a NOS OEM Stanton 681eee stylus and also an original Stanton 681eee walnut case with papers and accessories. Total cost for the cartridge, stylus and case about $90. I havn't had time to mount the cartridge on my Sony PS-X500 but from the sound of the questionable #72 Stanton stylus I'm looking forward to a positive listening experience. If any other AK members are useing this cartridge I'd like to hear their comments.

janusz1
09-07-2007, 02:08 AM
Hi,
I still have a stanton 681eee Mk-II cartridge I boght in the very early 1990s but I haven'y been using it for quite a while. Mk-II has a stereohedron stylus - a very robust one. It's not a bad cartridge, a little bit heavy but tracks very well. Nice overall sound. On the downside it is more sensitive to picking up low frequency noise. The older version had an eliptical stylus which was not so good as stereohedron.
cheers,
Janusz

majick47
09-07-2007, 02:49 AM
Should of mentioned that the replacement stylus is a MKIII for the 681eee.

darth
09-07-2007, 06:39 AM
I like my Stanton 681 Mk3 cartridge. It has a smooth, warm characteristic to it.

whell
09-07-2007, 07:54 AM
I'm with Darth on this one. Very good cartridge for the money, tracks will, and has a very nice tonal balance.

biker1059
09-07-2007, 08:06 AM
I also have a Sony PS-x500 with a Stanton 681EE cartridge and a 681EE Stylus. Just got the Sony PS last week and it came with a Shure cartridge and stylus that looked pretty worn. So I took the headshell off of my old sony tt, which has the exact headshell as the PS-500 tt. I also have a new replacement stylus 681EEE that I got off the bay about 2 months ago for about $30 that fits the 681EE cartridge. The difference in the two tt is unbelieveable, the PS-X500 sounds so much better than the Sony PS-T33. The 681EE was purchased back about 1980 and still performs well. Although it has not been in constant use. I've even traded out the 681EE with the 681EEE stylus and could not tell a difference, the 681EEE is brand new.

NoTransistors
09-07-2007, 12:27 PM
Even though I love my recently-discovered high-end Shure, I still find my old, well-used 681EEE warm, fuzzy, and very easy to listen to.

An old friend, to be certain.
It was a bargain in the '70s and if quality control exists with the new owners of Stanton, still a bargain. Also the stylus assembly is strong, but tracks well.
This cartridge seems to work well with a wider range of arms than the Shure. For example:
It sounds as great on the low-mass arm of the Dual 1229Q, as on the heavier arm of the 1219.
The Shure sounds thinner on the same lower-mass Q arm.
A very forgiving cartridge.

Matching arm mass to cartridge seems to actually be important enough to consider.

Seth
Forever Analog and Covered In Parrot Poop

LarryYaremko
09-07-2007, 03:05 PM
If any other AK members are useing this cartridge I'd like to hear their comments.

I've had my Stanton 681 EEE since 1975, and am very pleased with its warm "moving iron" sound. It was originally marketed as a "calibration standard," with a flat frequency response, and was used by numerous FM stations--especially those that played classical music.

I've since gotten another one, from eBay, for use with my 2nd turntable. I have no plans to switch to any other cartridge.

I do recommend using only OEM Stanton stylii, not aftermarket ones. I get mine through Jerry Raskin's Needle Doctor. There is a shibata stylus available from LP Gear, from an aftermarket vendor, but I have always preferred to use the Original Manufacturer's stylus.

The 681 EEE represents the optimal trade-off between price and performance, at least to me. You've acquired an excellent cartridge. Good luck!

majick47
09-07-2007, 04:29 PM
Another busy morning and still havn't mounted the cartridge. My D6800eee MKIII stylus is OEM Stanton NY, paid $45+ shipping BIN Ebay. Not sure if it's NOS or current mfg. All the paperwork indicated it was OEM Stanton (upstate NY) and not aftermarket. The price seemed ok since other sellers had it listed for $69+ shipping. Like some of the other responders I'm leaning more to the warm sound of the moving magnet and moving iron cartridges to go along with my 1980s "vintage" equipment. I'll be trying it out on my Sony PS-X500 biotracer TT, ADCOM 565 preamp, Yamaha MX-2000 amp (130x2) and JBL 4301b speakers.

Garrard201
09-07-2007, 06:26 PM
I had one and loved it! Sadly, I gave it away after calling Music Direct for a replacement stylus and they talked me into a Grado (which I hate). But I was young and stupid back in 2005! : ) I'll have to see if I can get it back; sounded great in my Technics SL-B2.

onepixel
09-07-2007, 06:58 PM
Mine sounds great!

PeterFCassidy
09-07-2007, 09:26 PM
I've had two (one still at work here) and they've been tremendous performers and really do justice to orchestral literature. I've run those and two Stanton HiFi's and they've also give enormous value for the money, one of which is still at work in the parlor.

Artie
09-07-2007, 10:37 PM
I had one and loved it! Sadly, I gave it away after calling Music Direct for a replacement stylus and they talked me into a Grado (which I hate). But I was young and stupid back in 2005! : ) I'll have to see if I can get it back; sounded great in my Technics SL-B2.

No offence intended, but the Grado was worlds better. :)

This is one of those classic situations where we use the "pro" moniker to sell to the consumer. Stanton made cartridges for FM DJ's. These aren't folks known for their delicate touch. Stanton cartridges were known for their "battlefield" durability. The exact opposite of what a "home" user would want. The more "pro" a device was, the less suitable for audiophile consumption it was. FM had severe frequency response and dynamic range considerations. Thus . . . Stanton sounded "good".

For your basic "home" stereo . . . Stanton was shit. IMHO. :D

More to follow. ;)
Artie

imready
09-08-2007, 12:10 AM
boy , i was reading all the "love"letters about the 681eee and was wondering what was wrong with me! i had one come in on a thorens 145 i purchased about 6 years ago. i tried that cartridge with the thorens , a yamaha yp-211, a dual 1229 and i think i even tried it on my sota. i tiried it with different ams and preamps, van alstien, nad, marantz and it always sounded thin and harsh to the point i couldn't listen to it. almost hard to believe it sounded harsh on the marantz and with tubes! i hate to be harsch,but i have to agree with artie. this falls into my popular cartridges that sound like crap, right up there with the shure 91ed.

majick47
09-08-2007, 02:05 AM
Just looking for feedback until I can get the 681eee installed on my Sony PS-X500 and then I will listen to see if the cartridge matches these opinions. I guess you could say I'm a fan of pro audio gear owning a Denon DL103, Grace F9E and JBL 4301b and a couple of Yamaha pro amps and I'v been pleased with all of them.

NoTransistors
09-08-2007, 10:22 AM
Someone seems to have been baking in the Florida sun for a bit too long.

And, about those poor sheep...

Seth
Forever Analog and Covered In Parrot Poop

PeterFCassidy
09-08-2007, 11:09 AM
I took in an older turntable with some issues running a 681EEE and it sounded very good. Took the whole unit in for refit and repair of the auto-return mechanism and the tech reset the arm and cartridge while it was hospitalized and that really turned on the cartridge's potential. Apparently, the rake was not set optimally. Now my turntable set up protocol is much simplified. I carry it to a local stereo tech, choose a cartridge (often Stanton) and leave it to the experts. Makes all the difference and I feel like I am supporting a lost art.

danj
09-08-2007, 01:05 PM
For more than 30 years the 681EEE has been one of my favorite cartridges. I've never found it "thin" sounding and have always found it to be a superior tracker. I've tried newer cartridge designs and old Stanton more than holds its own.

I really like the Grado Prestige series but the Stanton tracks better than all of them.

PeterFCassidy
09-08-2007, 02:42 PM
Had an AR XB with a late model Stanton HiFi cartridge that could play a pizza. Thing was incredible. Stuff that the DD couldn't handle without skipping the AR XB played beautifully and without a stumble. Just uncanny. Should check out some of my really warped stock to see how the AT440MLa handles them on the Technics 1200Mk2.

For more than 30 years the 681EEE has been one of my favorite cartridges. I've never found it "thin" sounding and have always found it to be a superior tracker. I've tried newer cartridge designs and old Stanton more than holds its own.

I really like the Grado Prestige series but the Stanton tracks better than all of them.

majick47
09-08-2007, 07:52 PM
IMREADY my guess is your stylus is either worn out or damaged. With the equipment you have no way could that cartridge sound like that. Maybe it isn't the most detailed cartridge but I'v been disappointed with some fairly expenseve MC that were too bright and not well balanced. The 681eee with a new stylus should be an excellent match for my JBL 4301b speakers.

majick47
09-08-2007, 08:04 PM
Artie I'm certain their are some decent Grado cartridges but I won't have to worry about the Stanton humming and dancing and I will be useing it without the brush. Peter my next table has to be a Technics 1200 or an older SP for my second system which is set up like a radio station control room with the JBL 4301b on heavy pro brackets mounted to the wall. I want my system to sound good but if it isn't fun why bother.

bangsezmax
09-09-2007, 08:19 PM
I've been using a 681EEE-MkIIs for many years, mostly on Thorens tables. One of the easiest to listen to, most tonally balanced cart/stylus combos I've found. Pretty glorious when it's tuned in.

These days, I've swung more to a Shure V15 IV with the Jico stylus, because it mates really well with the stock Thorens arm its attached to. But I still love the Stanton.

If you call it thin, it wasn't set up properly. The thing has a nice fat bottom on it.

Bigerik
09-10-2007, 05:11 AM
Thumbs up again for the Stanton. Definitely one of the better cartridges for the price. As easy to listen to, if not maybe quite as magical in the mids, without all the Grado BS that goes along with the use of one.
Great stuff.

Stanton681EEES
09-10-2007, 06:14 AM
Another busy morning and still havn't mounted the cartridge. My D6800eee MKIII stylus is OEM Stanton NY, paid $45+ shipping BIN Ebay. Not sure if it's NOS or current mfg. All the paperwork indicated it was OEM Stanton (upstate NY) and not aftermarket. The price seemed ok since other sellers had it listed for $69+ shipping. Like some of the other responders I'm leaning more to the warm sound of the moving magnet and moving iron cartridges to go along with my 1980s "vintage" equipment. I'll be trying it out on my Sony PS-X500 biotracer TT, ADCOM 565 preamp, Yamaha MX-2000 amp (130x2) and JBL 4301b speakers.

Your Stanton will sound nice, but being you have an ADcom 565 they are a little on the bright side depending on your speakers. I know as I have the same preamp. I like to run my Stanton without the brush it seemed to open the top end and give it an airy sound.

majick47
09-10-2007, 12:41 PM
Finally got a good nights sleep and have the day off. I dug out a spare Sumiko headshell and mounted/aligned the Stanton 681eee minus the brush at 1.25 grams. For now I'm going to try it out on my Yamaha PX-2 linear tracking TT with my favorite test LP, Emmylou Harris/Last Date. I figure just changing out the cartridge and leaving everything else in place will be the best way to evaluate the cartridge. Re Stanton681eees comment on the ADCOM 565 preamp so far I'v found it very neutral/detailed and not bright with my JBL 4301b speakers. I have five preamps and the ADFCOM comes real close to my Threshold Fet9 which is in my first system. After listening to both sides of Last Date the Stanton 681eee gets a BIG thumbs up! It's well balanced from top to bottom, authoritative low end, smooth mid range and detailed but not bright high end. Compareing it to the Grace Ruby I had on the PX-2 the 681eee was not much of a step down and has many of the same wonderful characteristics of the Grace Ruby only giving up a little detail on the high end. If your in the market for a cartridge that's high in performance and low in price you can't go wrong with this one and should be an excellent match with any quality vintage speakers/electronics.

Holst
09-10-2007, 01:11 PM
No offence intended, but the Grado was worlds better. :)

This is one of those classic situations where we use the "pro" moniker to sell to the consumer. Stanton made cartridges for FM DJ's. These aren't folks known for their delicate touch. Stanton cartridges were known for their "battlefield" durability. The exact opposite of what a "home" user would want. The more "pro" a device was, the less suitable for audiophile consumption it was. FM had severe frequency response and dynamic range considerations. Thus . . . Stanton sounded "good".

For your basic "home" stereo . . . Stanton was shit. IMHO. :D

More to follow. ;)
Artie

Just for the record, though Stanton has built a lot of DJ carts, so has Shure, Denon, AudioTechnica and many others. The 681EEE is a home stereo [high end] only cart, it's stylus is very different from a DJ cart and could not be used as such.

PeterFCassidy
09-10-2007, 08:38 PM
That's been my experience. When the big double bass or bass trombones kick in, wow, 681EEE puts you right there in section. I've got some old Mahler recordings in mono. the auld gizmo just soars.

I've been using a 681EEE-MkIIs for many years, mostly on Thorens tables. One of the easiest to listen to, most tonally balanced cart/stylus combos I've found. Pretty glorious when it's tuned in.

These days, I've swung more to a Shure V15 IV with the Jico stylus, because it mates really well with the stock Thorens arm its attached to. But I still love the Stanton.

If you call it thin, it wasn't set up properly. The thing has a nice fat bottom on it.

LarryYaremko
09-11-2007, 08:19 AM
If your in the market for a cartridge that's high in performance and low in price you can't go wrong with this one and should be an excellent match with any quality vintage speakers/electronics.

That cartridge has been a best-seller for decades, and one hardly ever hears anything bad about it. What is remarkable is the fact that it is often compared to carts that cost many times more--and it still receives favorable comments.

For the audiophile on a budget, or for the minimalist (like me) that doesn't want to spend many thousands of dollars to get decent sound, the 681 EEE is ideal.

hjames
09-11-2007, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the memory jog! I used to run triple Es for ages - first in an old philips 212, later in the Denon DP-45F thats still in my system. Sometime over the years I downgraded to a cheaper cartridge when I wasn't playing vinyl much, but now that I'm putting my system back in top shape, its probably time to get another Stanton.
Do they still come in those neat wooden or Metal cases?
I've still got a few of the old cases full of mounting screws and adapters.
Does anyone have any recommended on good place to buy one? (best prices?)

hakaplan
09-11-2007, 09:57 AM
The only think about it that annoys me is the brush assembly. I like Shure's version with it's damped action, but on the Stanton it's like having an anvil at the end of your tonearm.

hammr7
09-11-2007, 09:58 AM
Out of curiosity, how different is the triple-E from the double-E. I have a few of the doubles hanging around, but never gave them much thought. Are they worth playing with?

LarryYaremko
09-11-2007, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the memory jog! I used to run triple Es for ages - first in an old philips 212, later in the Denon DP-45F thats still in my system. Sometime over the years I downgraded to a cheaper cartridge when I wasn't playing vinyl much, but now that I'm putting my system back in top shape, its probably time to get another Stanton.
Do they still come in those neat wooden or Metal cases?
I've still got a few of the old cases full of mounting screws and adapters.
Does anyone have any recommended on good place to buy one? (best prices?)

I think they dumped the wooden boxes years ago.

I tried getting a stylus that was bargain-priced, only to find out that it was an aftermarket unit (they didn't disclose that when I phoned in the order). I got an OEM Stanton stylus from Jerry Raskin's Needle Doctor, with no problems and no surprises. I don't think that there is much variation in price for genuine Stanton cartridges, so you might as well deal with a place that you can rely upon. Why bother searching all over to save ten bucks, only to find that they don't have it in stock, or that you are getting something that isn't genuine? Every time I try saving a buck, I end up paying double. That's just my take on this.

Besides, the cartridge will last decades. Amortized over 30 years, the price is a non-issue.

LarryYaremko
09-11-2007, 10:14 AM
Out of curiosity, how different is the triple-E from the double-E. I have a few of the doubles hanging around, but never gave them much thought. Are they worth playing with?

If I am not mistaken, you can upgrade to the latest version (the EEE Mk III) simply by replacing the stylus with a new one. The cartridge itself has not changed, but Stanton has made improvements to the stylus over time. Unless you have a defective cartridge, a new Stanton stylus should renew the cartridge to like-new performance.

I forgot where I read that. Somebody correct me if I said anything inaccurate.

absolon
09-11-2007, 02:14 PM

Cartridge database lists both. Same .2 x .7 mil eliptical stylus, >35 dB channel separation and .75 - 1.5g tracking weight but on the EE output is higher at 4mv vs. 3.5mv for the EEE, compliance is higher at 25 x 10^6 vs. 18 x 10^6 and FR is narrower with 10Hz - 20kHz vs. 10 Hz - 22kHz.

analogman
09-11-2007, 03:37 PM
boy , i was reading all the "love"letters about the 681eee and was wondering what was wrong with me! i had one come in on a thorens 145 i purchased about 6 years ago. i tried that cartridge with the thorens , a yamaha yp-211, a dual 1229 and i think i even tried it on my sota. i tiried it with different ams and preamps, van alstien, nad, marantz and it always sounded thin and harsh to the point i couldn't listen to it. almost hard to believe it sounded harsh on the marantz and with tubes! i hate to be harsch,but i have to agree with artie. this falls into my popular cartridges that sound like crap, right up there with the shure 91ed.

Grado :no: Over-hyped, doesn't track very well, lots of distortion. Grados are like the special piece off music that no one wants to admit they don't like, kind of an "Emperor's Clothes" kind of a thing. Michael Fremer as well as others used to go on and on about the "warm, sweet, forgiving" "Grado Sound". Bull shit. Joe Grado is genius; he invented the moving COIL cartridge. Maybe some of their iron sounded good before my time. I can only speak to the ones I know currently. I bought into it and it proved very disappointing. I own more than a few; one Signature and a couple of the traditional square bodies (recently renamed with colors) as well as one of the "woodies" . $100.00 Shures trounce them all. Was running a Benz Glider on my main front end until not too long ago and "up-graded" to the "Ruby". I'm happy with the Benz(s), but one of the biggest mistakes I ever made in audio was selling off my Stanton 681EEE Mk IIs and stylus stock pile, as part of a turntable deal. If you have a large record collection of the inevitably varied quality and character attached to such, NO OTHER cartridge I've found, except some of the better Shures, will give you as much consistently musical performance as the Stantons. These comments apply to someone that actually loves and PLAYS RECORDS in a real world way as a primary format. Yes, the Benz and others will out perform the Stanton in many ways, BUT they are also more demanding as to software. Are you in it to listen to cartridges, or the Music delivered up by the format we all know and love: the Lp?

The Stanton 681EEEs and the Shure V-15s ARE, by the way, industry and MUSICAL standards. Just ask Tim dePavaracini.

If any one has a Staton that is "harsh" sounding, it is either broken or something in your system needs to go.

Craig

hjames
09-11-2007, 03:37 PM
I think they dumped the wooden boxes years ago.

I tried getting a stylus that was bargain-priced, only to find out that it was an aftermarket unit (they didn't disclose that when I phoned in the order). I got an OEM Stanton stylus from Jerry Raskin's Needle Doctor, with no problems and no surprises. I don't think that there is much variation in price for genuine Stanton cartridges, so you might as well deal with a place that you can rely upon. Why bother searching all over to save ten bucks, only to find that they don't have it in stock, or that you are getting something that isn't genuine? Every time I try saving a buck, I end up paying double. That's just my take on this.

Besides, the cartridge will last decades. Amortized over 30 years, the price is a non-issue.

Yeah - but last I looked I couldn't find any old cartridges so I'll need to buy the whole shebang, not just a stylus. Where are the good prices for THEM?

imready
09-11-2007, 05:30 PM
Grado :no: Over-hyped, doesn't track very well, lots of distortion. Grados are like the special piece off music that no one wants to admit they don't like, kind of an "Emperor's Clothes" kind of a thing. Michael Fremer as well as others used to go on and on about the "warm, sweet, forgiving" "Grado Sound". Bull shit. Joe Grado is genius; he invented the moving COIL cartridge. Maybe some of their iron sounded good before my time. I can only speak to the ones I know currently. I bought into it and it proved very disappointing. I own more than a few; one Signature and a couple of the traditional square bodies (recently renamed with colors) as well as one of the "woodies" . $100.00 Shures trounce them all. Was running a Benz Glider on my main front end until not too long ago and "up-graded" to the "Ruby". I'm happy with the Benz(s), but one of the biggest mistakes I ever made in audio was selling off my Stanton 681EEE Mk IIs and stylus stock pile, as part of a turntable deal. If you have a large record collection of the inevitably varied quality and character attached to such, NO OTHER cartridge I've found, except some of the better Shures, will give you as much consistently musical performance as the Stantons. These comments apply to someone that actually loves and PLAYS RECORDS in a real world way as a primary format. Yes, the Benz and others will out perform the Stanton in many ways, BUT they are also more demanding as to software. Are you in it to listen to cartridges, or the Music delivered up by the format we all know and love: the Lp?

The Stanton 681EEEs and the Shure V-15s ARE, by the way, industry and MUSICAL standards. Just ask Tim dePavaracini.

If any one has a Staton that is "harsh" sounding, it is either broken or something in your system needs to go.

Craig

i base my opinions strictly on what i hear, not on what i read or someone elses opinion. i wanted to give the person who started the thread my honest opinion. when i purchased the thorens table the stanton 681EEE cart that i have came with it. i was expecting to like it with all the good things i had read about it. well, i tried and tried to like it. maybe harsh was not the proper discription, overly bright to the point of hurting my ears would be more like it. there are many fine cartridges i have that sound fine on my main system, including goldring elite, denon dl-103, audio techinica oc-9 mk II, shure v15 III, empire 1000 zex, stanton 500 mkII.hope i got all those numbers right. my main system has a sota saphire , sumiko mmt, van alstien super pas IV with two nad 314's for power amps driving bose 901 series VI. or jbl L150a's. in a month or two i will have my leak 3090's up and running with any luck.maybe i will try and locate a new stylus and see if that changes my opinion because it would make me happy to be able to say something good about that stanton 681EEE but up till now, it's still thumbs down. jmho

analogman
09-12-2007, 01:15 AM
i base my opinions strictly on what i hear, not on what i read or someone elses opinion. i wanted to give the person who started the thread my honest opinion. when i purchased the thorens table the stanton 681EEE cart that i have came with it. i was expecting to like it with all the good things i had read about it. well, i tried and tried to like it. maybe harsh was not the proper discription, overly bright to the point of hurting my ears would be more like it. there are many fine cartridges i have that sound fine on my main system, including goldring elite, denon dl-103, audio techinica oc-9 mk II, shure v15 III, empire 1000 zex, stanton 500 mkII.hope i got all those numbers right. my main system has a sota saphire , sumiko mmt, van alstien super pas IV with two nad 314's for power amps driving bose 901 series VI. or jbl L150a's. in a month or two i will have my leak 3090's up and running with any luck.maybe i will try and locate a new stylus and see if that changes my opinion because it would make me happy to be able to say something good about that stanton 681EEE but up till now, it's still thumbs down. jmho

I hear ya, but like I said, if a Stanton 680 is so overly "bright" that it hurts your ears, then something else is going on. Some unusual compatibility issue or just plain broken. Stanton cartridges ARE NOT HARSH, BRIGHT or "OVERLY ANALYTICAL" by nature. They are NOT the last word in the resolution or detail department. What they are is very full bodied and rich.
VERY euphonic :yes: the very opposite of what you are experiencing :no:
An Analog Classic
Craig

analogman
09-12-2007, 01:24 AM

I would suggest that it is not wise, to form or tender opinions, regarding a transducer such as a phonograph cartridge which you acquired used. This forces you to make an assumption, and to reach a conclusion, not knowing if your particular example is indicative or in good working order.
Craig

Maurice442
09-14-2007, 10:02 PM
Hello Majick47,

I have a Stanton 681EEE on my Sony PS-X700 right now and even thought I haven't played it for a few years (due to ongoing repairs in my house...) I can assure you that when I do play it it will be as beautiful sounding as the last time I did play it... I also have a couple more Stanton's and they also sound very good to me. Before my Stanton's I used to like Pickering cartridges, they also sounded quite good. :tresbon:
Just my 0.02 cents.

Happy listening :music:

Maurice442

hjames
09-17-2007, 01:02 PM
Thanks for ALL the 681EE tips and links from everybody. Last night while sorting through an old box of connectors and cables under my workbench, I found a small sealed plastic box with a carefully packed Stanton 681EEE Cartridge (package said "packed 12/79"!) and another box with a pair of old stylii and pivot brushes.
One of the folks at Vinyl Asylum had a link to partstore.com (http://www.partstore.com/Search/Model/Denon+Electronics/Denon.aspx) where I was able to order a (new) spare headshell for my Denon DP-45F for about $20 shipped.
I've also ordered a new stylus from Needle Doctor (http://www.needledoctor.com/Stanton-D-6800-EEE-MK-III-Stylus?sc=2&category=76) and when that arrives, I can mount the cartridge up and hopefully, be good to go again!

Sept 21 - new headshell came today - EXACT DUPE of original Denon headshell (even marked "DENON"!)
Got the Stanton cartridge mounted, so now I just need to dig out specs on setting it all up properly - the Denon manual doesn't give specifics.
But I found protractors I can print and use here - http://www.vinylengine.com/manuals_tonearm_protractors.shtml

Did some adjustments, buffed up a record, and had a listen ... Shawn Phillips: Second Contribution - ahhh
thanks to you ALL for your encouragement

aj_chicago
11-04-2007, 11:13 AM
The only think about it that annoys me is the brush assembly. I like Shure's version with it's damped action, but on the Stanton it's like having an anvil at the end of your tonearm.

Enjoyed reading this thread. I have an older 681EEE that came with a table I came across. I think it compares favorably with the Shure M91ED and M95ED I have. I am thinking mine is old enough to be plain old elliptical and not stereohedron. Haven't put it through the Shure obstacle course, but do like the warm, bassy sound. What MR. hackaplan said about the anvil of a brush made me smile and then think (oh the pain! :confused:). I have a Shure stylus gauge. Should one use such a gauge or would it be better to balance the arm then set the force using the counter weight on a Dual or Pioneer table? My thought is that this brush is not damped like the Shure brush and is just being dragged along, so exactly what effect does it have on the stylus force? It would seem that it may have a little of the opposite effect that the damped brush would have, in that it is "free" dragging and not propping up the cartridge/stylus/arm, whereas the Shure brush is damping and lightening the down force load a little. (It's not removable is it?) What should sf be set at for a 681EEE on a Dual straight arm? On a Japanese s-arm? I believe I have previously just set it to close to 1.5 without really knowing what was Stanton recommended. I'm not a big fan of the Shure brush, either. I leave it out of play for the most part, and know when I've forgotten to lock it up and out of play when at the start of a record the damped brush makes is so slow for the needle to touch down that the beginning of the first track is missed! (especially on records with higher ridges than normal). Hopefully, this is not stealing the thread, but adding to what turned out to be a good Stanton 681EEE thread for future searches..

MikeCh
11-04-2007, 11:41 AM
If I remember correctly, Stanton recommends upping the tracking weight by 1 full gram if the brush is used. The cart specs for tracking force are .75 to 1.5 grams so if you pick the middle at say 1gram + 1gram for the brush-add, then you'd be setting it up at 2grams tracking force total. This is how I've got mine set on an older Technics SP-15 and the combo is magical to my ears.

ronpod
11-04-2007, 04:03 PM
I am bringing my Thorens back from retirement, its been in storage for over 15 years. When I bought it back in the 70's I had the audio boutique fit it with the Stanton 681EEE. The audio specialist recommended the match at the time and knew to remove the brush and spent considerable time with the adjustments. That wonderful wooden box had many uses. And the fine small tools were a bonus. I spent many, many happy hours listening to so many lps. So it's good to return this good old friend back to service. But the stylus is likely in need of replacement. Is it correct that the MkIII is a direct replacement for the original stylus? Somewhere I saw a stylus with an S designation. It was nearly twice the price. It may have a different shape in the groove. Is it better sounding if it is carefully adjusted. Is the Needle Doctor the best vendor for this purchase? Any mods or tweaks that you can suggest would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

onepixel
11-04-2007, 07:13 PM
When I found my rare TOL Pioneer PLC-590 with a rare Infinity Black Widow low mass graphite tonearm, the Stanton 681EEE was mounted on it.

The original owner thought it was good enough, so do I.

:D

http://onepixeldesign.com/stereo/stanton_blackwidow.jpg

70salesguy
11-04-2007, 07:23 PM
For what it's worth, BITD when I was on the back side of the counter, the Stanton 681EE was considered to be a very nice unit. :yes:

You had your Shure fans (I am one, V-15II) and you had your Stanton fans.

Never heard or sold a Grado BITD that was comparable. :no:

bangsezmax
11-04-2007, 08:59 PM
I am bringing my Thorens back from retirement, its been in storage for over 15 years. When I bought it back in the 70's I had the audio boutique fit it with the Stanton 681EEE. The audio specialist recommended the match at the time and knew to remove the brush and spent considerable time with the adjustments. That wonderful wooden box had many uses. And the fine small tools were a bonus. I spent many, many happy hours listening to so many lps. So it's good to return this good old friend back to service. But the stylus is likely in need of replacement. Is it correct that the MkIII is a direct replacement for the original stylus? Somewhere I saw a stylus with an S designation. It was nearly twice the price. It may have a different shape in the groove. Is it better sounding if it is carefully adjusted. Is the Needle Doctor the best vendor for this purchase? Any mods or tweaks that you can suggest would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.For the best stylus around for this cart, go to KAB (http://www.kabusa.com/681D11S.htm) and get the Pickering D11-S (not that the link is for the cartridge/stylus combo, but the stylus is available separately until he runs out). Not exactly cheap ($80 for the stylus alone, $140 for the combo), but is most likely the best stylus available unless you can track down an NOS EEE-S or EEE Mk2-S. The S is for stereohedron, a stylus shape similar to the Shibata. Reduces record wear and gets excellent detail out of the groove.

bangsezmax
11-04-2007, 09:09 PM
(It's not removable is it?) The brush is very easily removed. Take the stylus off the cart. You'll see that the other end of the brush assembly has a T shape that is clipped into the plastic inside the stylus housing. Just push it out to un-clip it, then gently pull the T part through the little hole (that's why that hole is the size it is). Just remember to reduce your VTF by a gram if you had increased it already.

aj_chicago
11-05-2007, 04:27 AM
The brush is very easily removed. Take the stylus off the cart. You'll see that the other end of the brush assembly has a T shape that is clipped into the plastic inside the stylus housing. Just push it out to un-clip it, then gently pull the T part through the little hole (that's why that hole is the size it is). Just remember to reduce your VTF by a gram if you had increased it already.

Thank you kind sir. I think we'll be removing it. Oh, I will set VTF with my trusty Shure teeter-totter. :thmbsp:

aj_chicago
11-05-2007, 04:40 AM
If I remember correctly, Stanton recommends upping the tracking weight by 1 full gram if the brush is used. The cart specs for tracking force are .75 to 1.5 grams so if you pick the middle at say 1gram + 1gram for the brush-add, then you'd be setting it up at 2grams tracking force total. This is how I've got mine set on an older Technics SP-15 and the combo is magical to my ears.

I hear ya, and mine sounded great at 1.5 grams of force set by the Dual turntable dial (which is likely off), but having the free floating brush reduce stylus force seems illogical since it is not damped or springy and therefore would seem to NOT reduce the stylus force, but rather, by dragging its weight behind the needle, increase the stylus force somewhat. I picture a pickup truck hooked up to and pulling a train. The first thing that would happen is the back bumper would drop and the rear shocks would be compressed. What you are saying would indicate that the free dragging, heavy-ish brush, somehow tends to lift the needle the same as the Shure damped brush. Maybe by some mechanical miracle it actually does, but that just doesn't seem right and I sure hope someone will tell us definitively. Somebody slap some sense into me if my thinking is wrong. I have been to the Stanton Magnetics home page, and they still recommend (for a MKIII which mine is not) .75 to 1.5g tracking force, but don't say a thing as how best to get it there with the brush deployed or how the brush effects stylus force. Anyone got an old Stanton 681EEE instruction manual? Just found out from a fellow poster in this thread that that brush IS removable, so I think I'll be removing it and setting tracking force with a gauge and actually KNOW what it is. Thanks! :thmbsp: Still would like to understand whether the brush adds or lessens tracking force and how.

LarryYaremko
11-05-2007, 07:41 AM
I have been to the Stanton Magnetics home page, and they still recommend (for a MKIII which mine is not) .75 to 1.5g tracking force, but don't say a thing as how best to get it there with the brush deployed or how the brush effects stylus force. Anyone got an old Stanton 681EEE instruction manual? Just found out from a fellow poster in this thread that that brush IS removable, so I think I'll be removing it and setting tracking force with a gauge and actually KNOW what it is. Thanks! :thmbsp: Still would like to understand whether the brush adds or lessens tracking force and how.

On my Technics turntables I merely balance arm, then dial in 2.25 grams, which according to Stanton should result in 1.25 grams of stylus pressure with the brush attached.

On my AR Turntable, I just use a stylus gauge and adjust the weight of the arm to 2.25 grams.

I like that brush a lot. It gives a final cleaning to the grooves before the stylus finally touches them. And it always seems to pick up a bit of dust, even on records that were just cleaned, so it must work.

MikeCh
11-05-2007, 10:41 AM
I'm not at home to look at the documentation that came with the cart, but I know I read somewhere (either here or a Stanton doc) that when using the brush, 1 gram should be added to the tracking weight.

I do know that when I was first setting up my deck, that I was using 1-1.25 grams as the setting and noticed some sibilance in the higher freq's. As well, I also noted that when setting the stylus down into a groove (with the cueing arm) that when set at the lighter 1-1.25 grams, the stylus wouldn't always settle "right in". Once I added the extra .75 grams to get to 2 grams total, I've never had a problem with sibilance (on a good piece of vinyl) nor the non-settling-in issue of the stylus.

On another note, just to make sure I was setup correct, I finally purchased the Shure Obstacle Course LP and ran it thru it's paces. This table/cart setup tracked every stress-test (all levels) without any issues whatsoever.

Mike

absolon
11-05-2007, 10:46 AM
The 681EEE manual is available for download at the vinylengine.

majick47
11-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Checked out the KAB listing for the Pickering D11S stylus and noticed it had a brush attached. Can the brush be removed like on the Stanton stylus or is it permanent?

P. Shivers
11-08-2007, 02:59 PM
For the best stylus around for this cart, go to KAB (http://www.kabusa.com/681D11S.htm) and get the Pickering D11-S (not that the link is for the cartridge/stylus combo, but the stylus is available separately until he runs out). Not exactly cheap ($80 for the stylus alone, $140 for the combo), but is most likely the best stylus available unless you can track down an NOS EEE-S or EEE Mk2-S. The S is for stereohedron, a stylus shape similar to the Shibata. Reduces record wear and gets excellent detail out of the groove.

Have any experience with this stylus in a 681EEE that you'd care to share? I have a 681EEE-S that I purchased in 1980. The original stylus was replaced several years ago with a cheap non Stanton stylus that sounds bad. I'd like to get it back sounding like the way I remember it, and am curious to hear some user impressions of the Pickering D-11-S in the 681EEE.

majick47
11-08-2007, 03:19 PM
Goofed on prior post, wanted to ask if the Pickering D 11 S brush can also be removed. The Pickering stylus isn't all that more expensive than the Stanton 681EEE factory stylus, maybe $20.

bangsezmax
11-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Goofed on prior post, wanted to ask if the Pickering D 11 S brush can also be removed. The Pickering stylus isn't all that more expensive than the Stanton 681EEE factory stylus, maybe $20.
Yep. The metal attachment for the brush just clips into two little dimples on the stylus body. Pops off even easier than on the Stantons.

cableguy
02-12-2009, 06:14 PM
I am using this cart for the first time, well actually it is a 681EE with a new STNS681EEE stylus form LP Gear....
I will simply echo all of the wonderful sentiments already written in this thread. Good stuff, and a keeper...I think my next purchase will be the Shibata stylus for this...

Jfall
02-12-2009, 10:10 PM
The 681EEE MK3 is my first cartridge. I agree, very nice. I bought mine while waiting for an Ortofon 2M black to arrive. I'm listening on my vintage DD table and find it to have a lush full sound that's very pleasing to these ears.

day67
02-13-2009, 08:30 AM
Does the 681EEE MK3 come standard with a shibata or stereohedron stylus? Is that what the "MK 3" means?

rooster18
02-13-2009, 12:46 PM
Does the 681EEE MK3 come standard with a shibata or stereohedron stylus? Is that what the "MK 3" means?

No, but it's a nice sounding stylus, or at least mine was. I just got a touch of sibilance and it isn't as "precise" sounding to my ears. And I don't have great ears (20 years of guitar playing).

rooster.

day67
02-13-2009, 08:49 PM
Thanks, Rooster. I hear ya on the "great ears" part. My wife thinks I'm going deaf but I prefer denial! I think I'll opt out for a sibata when I decide to replace mine. Right now I have a white "6800SL" I'm told is a higher end stylus on my 681EE but I dont have the magnification to see if it's worn. Sure magnifies the clicks/pops on not-so-perfect lps.

Jfall
02-14-2009, 09:05 AM
The 2M black has a Shibata sylus. It sounds much more refined across the spectrum and does a much better job at delivering low level detail. Of course it should at about 4x the price.

If anything, I would say the Stanton is more forgiving. Really good records sound very, very good with the Ortofon, but just about everything sounds good with the Stanton.

Yankee Dog
02-14-2009, 09:12 PM
Just picked up a stanton 680el cart last week, installed a new 681eee stylus with brush. Set at 2.25 grams. Have run about 6 albums through it and it is sounding better with each one. Nice smooth sound, yet plenty of range in the highs and the lows.

I have to admit, this is probably the highest quality cartridge/stylus that I have ever purchased. Not saying it is the best, but it is the best sounding cart that I ever owned. I have never spent more than 40 dollars on a cart/stylus combo before. So that is what I am basing my findings on.

I also noticed that some of my rougher/more abused "party albums" sound better than they are. Less snap crackle and pop, and some of my albums are pretty knarly.

Very happy with this cart/combo. Not sure why my albums sound less abused and clearer, maybe it is because this is the first cartridge I have ever aligned properly as well, but all I know is I can't stay away from spinning vinyl this weekend. YD

illinoisteve
02-15-2009, 11:01 AM
This page at the KAB site lists the over 20 stylii that are compatible with your Stanton 681EEE.
http://www.kabusa.com/STANTONX.HTM

Specifications for the ones you might find available would help you figure out whether you certain ones are an adequate replacement for what you have, or whether they are upgrades or downgrades.

inspired
03-24-2009, 08:38 AM
I'm ressurecting this old thread as I just replaced my stylus with the 681 EEE Mk III.

The old stylus had no brush and tracked well down to .75 grams. The new 681 EEE Mk III long hair brush exerts a down force, but I can't find any literature to advise how much more tonearm weight needs to be added bot compensate. My stylus gauge indicates the up pressure of the brush cancels out almost 1 gram of downforce, but I'd like to see it in writing from Stanton or have it confirmed by someone who knows.

I find this particular cartidge/stylus setup to sound much better than some of the descriptions above that rate it as only of old FM station broadcast quality.

whell
03-24-2009, 09:17 AM
You've figured it out already, based on your observations. The manufacturer recommends 1 gram of additional VTF, and an additional gram of anti skate, to compensate for the use of the brush.

SaSi
03-24-2009, 09:18 AM
If you balance the tonearm with the cart AND brush, you need to add +1g to the VTF.

If you balance the tonearm with the cart and NO brush, then you don't need to readjust VTFF. Adding the brush at any time adds that +1g needed with it's weight.

When I first used that on a Dual 1009 and a no-name TT, I was not impressed to say the least. Testing it again recently on a Technics SL-1210, showed what a good cart it is. (Still noticeably worse than my better Ortofon MCs but good enough fro everyday listening).

inspired
03-24-2009, 10:09 AM
You've figured it out already, based on your observations. The manufacturer recommends 1 gram of additional VTF, and an additional gram of anti skate, to compensate for the use of the brush.

The +1 gram is my best estimate based upon landing the stylus tip only, long hair brush only, and then both on the correct line of the thin metal balance beam lever of my Shure Stylus gauge.

I would like to hear someone has received paperwork from Stanton with this stylus (mine didn't have any paperwork) stating it is actually 1 gram, or 3/4 grams or whatever.

MJSNet
03-24-2009, 10:27 AM
...If you have a large record collection of the inevitably varied quality and character attached to such, NO OTHER cartridge...

FWIW, I have the Stanton 681EEEMK2S, Shure V15III, and the AT155LC. They are ALL respectable cartridges with wonderful characteristics and I have a hard time choosing which I like better. They all track exceptionally well, and I'll echo analogman's remark concerning its use on a wide range of musical material. Rock, classical, jazz, vocal, electronic, etc., all sound wonderful (as they do with the other two) even under challenging conditions. These are high-end cartridges, and properly aligned and cared for, provide quite a vinyl experience. :yes:

I believe the S at the end of the model indicates the shibata stylus.

whell
03-24-2009, 10:43 AM
The +1 gram is my best estimate based upon landing the stylus tip only, long hair brush only, and then both on the correct line of the thin metal balance beam lever of my Shure Stylus gauge.

I would like to hear someone has received paperwork from Stanton with this stylus (mine didn't have any paperwork) stating it is actually 1 gram, or 3/4 grams or whatever.

While I don't have the paperwork with me here at the office, I can certainly render my best recollection of the last several times that I've read it for my Stanton 881S, Stanton 681EEE, Pickering XV-15, and Pickering XSV-3000 (Pickering and Stanton are essentially the same company). All of the documentation specifies 1 gram.

Or, you can create a log in at vinylengine.com, go here (http://www.vinylengine.com/library/stanton/681.shtml), and download the instructions, so you can verify and download a copy to keep.

whell
03-24-2009, 10:47 AM
I believe the S at the end of the model indicates the shibata stylus.

The "S" designation actually stands for "Stereohedron", a proprietary stylus tip design marketed by Stanton. Stereohedron stylus tips are no longer available from Stanton because they are not cheap to produce.

However, Jico makes a Shibata - tipped stylus for the 681 which IS a Shibata. The Shibata tip is not unlike the Sterehedron in terms of how it reaches deeply into the grooves and renders quieter disk playback.

beans
03-24-2009, 11:29 AM
Sorry to 'jack the current topic, but I'VE HAD IT with my new 681 (bought from Needle Doc in Sept). This thing is absolutely CHEWING up records. I have done everything to align it except buy one of those $100 Best-Tractors. Got Black Ice during the holidays, which is a CD-length album pressed on 2 LPs with only 3 tracks per side, so the groove spacing is wide and the dynamics/amplitude is high. This 681 completely destroyed it, worse than anything else I've played.
I have a ProJect Debut TT which should be a good match for it, except that I had to futz with the mounting to get the right alignment about the axis passing straight through the sides... IOW, I had to angle it down (to AKer Stanton681EEES, this is the problem I PM'ed you about... I took your advice and straightened it).
I have emailed Needle Doc so we'll see what they say... I'd bet they'll want to first hassle me about the alignment, but we'll see.
I like the sound of it, so I'd hate to find out it's really not good in this arm, and that's the cause. Fred gave me a quick go-ahead when I asked him that, and I have no reason to doubt him, even now.
Has anyone here had a similar experience with the Mark III?

beans
03-24-2009, 12:12 PM
Update: Just heard back from Matt at The ND... he's being very cool about this. He thinks what happened was that the tip was epoxied 90 degrees sideways :eek:
See previous post - #73

whell
03-24-2009, 01:17 PM
I hate to hear this, but the word on the street is that the Stanton product does have issues on the quality control side. I wouldn't be shocked by the defective build quality that Needle Doctor suggests. Kevin at KAB sells the 681, but inspects every single one before it is sold.

I guess the stunning part of this is that you observed that the damn thing still sounds good!

inspired
03-24-2009, 01:38 PM
Thanks to all who weighed in to help me.

Well, I had not had any luck prior, but emailed Stanton again this morning and received the reply below.

I'm guessing the force the brush exerts changes (lessens) as it is pushed higher up its pivot point and the angle of LP contact lessens from vertical to about 45 degrees. I measured 1 gram as the brush first touches my scale, but have no good way to dynamically measure while the plater is turning so I will trust the 1/2 gram recommendation Stanton made below is based upon their ability to make a take a more accurate measurement or make a better guess. I was tracking my old 680 EEE brushless stylus below .75 grams (with "The Clamp" brand reflex clamp) so I will set the VTF now at 1.25 grams gross allowing for .5 grams of brush = approx. .75 net and leave my antiskate setting at the (net) .75 gram setting.

##########################################
Hi Greg,

gram is what we suggest some people go with a full gram.

Thanks Robert Strachan aka Dj jungle boy
Technical Support Specialist: DJ@StantonDJ.com
954.316.1500 x2257 : 954.316.1590 (fax)
stantongroup.ws :: Cerwin-Vega! : KRK : Stanton
##########################################

Speaking to quality control, I've been hearing this a lot. The good ones are great, and the bad ones problematic.

beans
03-24-2009, 02:31 PM
I hate to hear this, but the word on the street is that the Stanton product does have issues on the quality control side. I wouldn't be shocked by the defective build quality that Needle Doctor suggests. Kevin at KAB sells the 681, but inspects every single one before it is sold.

I guess the stunning part of this is that you observed that the damn thing still sounds good!

No, I wasn't being clear. I'm saying it sounds terrible, but I have a lot of experience with this model, and I want one that does sound good. I will say that on some records it works OK and did not seem to do damage, but then we aren't sure about the stylus tip being sideways. Matt said it seems likely. I looked at the tip under a film lupe but I can't really tell much that way. If anything, it looks as though there may be a tiny blob of epoxy that oozed down, but I don't know. I cleaned it with my Discwasher cleaner yet there is still something there, but I can't tell if it's at the groove level. If I thought the damn thing sounded good I wouldn't have struggled for months with it. I just didn't want to believe it could be defective, I guess. But now, I'm all out of other options.

Sid Hartha
05-18-2009, 10:32 AM
That did it - thanks for clearing that up. I always wondered why they performed so poorly with the brush.

I currently have a 681 with a EEE on my SP-15, and a 680/EEE on my Thorens TD 160, and now enjoy them both with the brush.

fiddlefye
05-18-2009, 12:51 PM
I jumped my tracking force to just a tick over 2 grams and it changed everything. I'm running the old D-75 stylus I got with the cart and while it's in decent shape I'm saving my pennies for a really good one.....

beans
05-18-2009, 01:37 PM
Guys, you're confusing me. This interests me because I have mine set at about 2.7 grams using the brush, so my effective VTF is 1.7g. I know this is beyond the range but it tracks better this way. I'm just wondering if I'm putting too much stress on the cantilever suspension. OR it could be that the reading (grams) on the counterweight is inaccurate.

KentTeffeteller
05-18-2009, 01:53 PM
The 681 EEE-S Mk II is my main cartridge daily. I use it with the brush disabled, VTF is 1.2 grams on my Technics SL-1200 Mk II. Some notes: Very sensitive to alignment and SRA. Also note that the new ones made in Florida are a little more erratic in quality. If you purchase yours from Kenneth A Barrett (KAB USA). He inspects each cartridge/stylus and returns them until he gets good ones. His service is superb. Jico Japan has a Shibata tipped stylus for the 681 EEE-S. It's as good as having an original Mk II-S Stereohedron stylus made in New York. If you're not getting superb sound out of a 681, you have a setup, loading, or suspension issue.

beans
05-18-2009, 06:47 PM
I use the brush because it seems to make sense. I have the latest David Gilmour (very nice Dutch pressing) but it has a bad ripple warp in one spot. I had been playing it with my Stanton with no problem but then I played it on a $1400 Rega table and it could not track the first track of the record... it was jumping out of the groove. Just for grins I should try playing it without the brush and see what happens.

sled108
05-22-2009, 09:57 PM
l have mine..with the Brush, set at 2.0 grams...It Sounds Great..And the way l figure it...If you can walk past it to adjust the Amp without it skipping, then you're running as Light as you can...

Old_Tech
05-22-2009, 10:36 PM
My Zero 100C came with a 681EEE with a beautiful stylus. I have to say the sound is just golden on that table. The compliance was just right for the Zero's heavier arm and the soundstage is very wide and full of detail. Its a bright and golden sound with rich bass when needed from the source. These were installed by many a dealer on the Zero back in the day. I do not know how old mine is or its history with the table. I love the sound. I have it at 2.5 grams to compensate for the snowplow on the front which I hesitate removing for many reasons. I know not many like the zero but it really is nice with the Stanton. I also have a 681EE that came with my AR table. I have not heard it yet as I still have to put the table together but I have a spec card here for everyone to look at that came with the AR. Apparantly someone was very pleased with it on that table as well.
Enjoy and by the way nice thread thank you!

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu242/rw_designs/Turntables/DSC05206.jpg

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu242/rw_designs/Turntables/ar9.jpg

whell
05-23-2009, 06:02 AM
I love the sound. I have it at 2.5 grams to compensate for the snowplow on the front which I hesitate removing for many reasons.

Don't remove the brush, would be my $0.02. The 681EEE is a relatively high compliance cartridge. If the Zero 100 has a heavy arm, it is likely the brush that's responsible for the heavier arm and the high compliance stylus making good music together.

Old_Tech
05-23-2009, 08:32 AM
Don't remove the brush, would be my $0.02. The 681EEE is a relatively high compliance cartridge. If the Zero 100 has a heavy arm, it is likely the brush that's responsible for the heavier arm and the high compliance stylus making good music together.

I wasn't going to remove it as they do work well together; one helps the other.

On the AR table I have the headshell actually has standoffs inside so that the brush will clear the housing. I have not seen how this looks assembled yet but it is strange looking by itself.