View Full Version : Who / what was 'Vector Research'

RuSsMaN
12-21-2003, 09:29 AM
Every now and then, I see some receivers / integrated amps on ebay and in pawn shops under the name 'Vector Research'. They don't seem like anything special, just wondering if anyone knew anything about them, who made them, parent company, etc.

Here's and ebay link to an int. amp for example:

Linky Linky (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3066846208&category=3280)

Cheers,
Russ

bully
12-21-2003, 10:16 AM
I sure seem to recall that they were 'somebody's' brand, like Technics is for Panasonic/National, and I just cannot remember what the deal was.
Not bad gear, but nothing to spark the imagination, and like several other belated efforts to 'crash' the American cash-cow marketplace, slipped away like a fart in a strong wind.

rcj1231
12-21-2003, 03:13 PM
Vector Research was a small company producing a line of integrated amplifiers and cassette tape decks, and probably some other audio electronics as well. They were based in Chatsworth, California. Unfortunately, they went out of business in the mid-late 1980's.

I owned a Vector Research integrated amp (VX9000?) and a cassette tape deck (VX-500?) that I purchased from Tech HiFi (also gone) in Boston in 1980 (along with my still working perfectly recently upgraded Ohm Acoustic Model I Speakers).

The tape deck died in after 7 years and could not be fixed because no spare parts were available. The amp lasted for quite awhile, until 2001. I had it repaired once in 2001, but it died again a few months later. When I finally buried it (out with the trash), I discovered there was this whole audio mania on the web, top quality used gear, etc. I had never thought about upgrading amps or equipment and thought the only place to buy audio equipment was at Tweeter. I didn't know nothin'! Wound up buying some used Parasound amps off A-Gon to drive my Ohms and haven't looked back. Now I have a pair of Odyssey Extreme Monoblocks on the way. REALLY looking forward to that........

Rick

Andyman
12-21-2003, 04:16 PM
I've bought and sold a few of their pieces; in fact I have a VR-5000 receiver driving my garage system.

I always though they were sort of an American niche company making higher quality, mass marketed stuff. I've heard them compared to NAD, but it may be because of the styling (flat black) rather than design.

Wedweb
01-14-2004, 08:44 PM
I have a VR-2200A my Dad bought for me in high school (35 now). I have it hooked up to my computer and it has a pair of Energy Encores hooked up to it. I mainly use it as a plug in for cassette and phono inputting to my computer for digitalization. I did see a Rotel that looked very similar to my receiver. I like it.

krimney
01-15-2004, 09:25 PM
I had one of their bigger receivers for a while, ithink the 9000 model. It seemed to have plenty of power and features. LOOKS like a Technics due to the grey color. Pretty heavy unit. Picked it up at a thrift store with a set of mission speakers, still have the speakers. Someone didn't know what they were getting rid of.

Wedweb
05-15-2004, 01:24 AM
I found the Rotel I was referring to.

It is up for auction on ebay by someone and if you look at the photos and can see my Vector Research you will notice the exact layout of the buttons and knobs but different styles. The led layout and the dial setup is the same also. Can someone verify that Rotal made the Vector Research or that VR made the Rotel?

wedweb

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3279&item=3095794621

Wedweb
05-15-2004, 01:25 AM
Here's the photo if the link didn't work:

B3Nut
05-15-2004, 07:21 AM
Who knows...could be a Taiwanese OEM. A lot of the NAD stuff came from there too, so it's possible that the same manufacturer was involed there too. I once had a stereo salesman tell me Vector Research was a sister company to NAD. How correct that is, I have no clue.

My aunt has a Vector Research receiver driving her Linn Nexus speakers (sitting on Kustone stands no less). Freakin' gorgeous.

TP