View Full Version : No debates: what speaker wires, cables or interconnects do you prefer and use?

Pages : [1] 2

MagneMan
12-03-2007, 04:48 PM
Currently running Monster cable 14 gauge XP-CI speaker wire and wondering what others are using.

Picked up a Tara Labs Master Gen digital 75 interconnect online with another purchase. Anyone used this particular one?

Got a nice Silver Sonic D 110 digital XLR AES/EBU included with the Parasound transport off eBay.

Absolutely not trying to start a "my wire, cable or interconnect is best" fight, just looking for information.

RichPA
12-03-2007, 04:50 PM
In my main system, all of my cables are DH Labs.

similost
12-03-2007, 04:52 PM
I'm using flat wire from Rat Shack on my speakers, http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104178&cp=&pg=3&sr=1&origkw=speaker+wire&kw=speaker+wire&parentPage=search

and a bunch of Monster Cable interconnects I got free from work..

CUlater
12-03-2007, 04:55 PM
I'm using some Monster Cables that I got from RS on closeout last year.

A little off topic, but I've been wondering for a while - has anyone used either: 1) Dryer connection wire (looks like it would be about 6AWG) or 2) jumper cables/welding cables (say, 2 or 4AWG)?

Unican_Eric
Standard speaker wire from Radio Shack......Well now its some other store name.
Cables are standard from any store shelf that sells em cept the dollar store. They just to cheap.

They work just fine for me.

Urizen
I've had very good results with DH Labs (T-14 and Q-10 cable and BL-1 interconnects) and Blue Jeans Cable for digital. I'm currently using Nordost Super Flatlines with my Maggies. With vintage gear, 14g zip wire.

I've been itching to try some Zebra Cables.

goraman
12-03-2007, 04:56 PM
White Zombie Audio ,I have all modles but prefure the La Cacanya's and El Chupacabras.My speaker cables are 6awg silver plated high strand copper in teflon and well sleeved in carbon infused fiber and terminated with 3X silver plated copper banana plugs.sonics are awsome I chose white zombies because they are solid silver and teflon but best of all 1 30th the price of Audio Note Sogons in my opinion the true Hallmark of interconects but to pricey for me.

Yamaha B-2
12-03-2007, 05:01 PM
XLR - Kobala-Sona Fascination and Wasatch 105u.
RCA - Wasatch 105u, 104u, 103u & 102u.
Speaker - DIY 12ga silver coated, woven, flat 6-9s copper.

Face
12-03-2007, 10:50 PM
2 Ch. Goertz Sapphire and Micro Purl Interconnects, Goertz AG2 or Flatwire depending on the speakers in use.

HT: Signal Cable Analog 2 I/C's, Signal Cable Ultra Speaker Cables, BJC digital and optical cables.

vinyldavid
12-03-2007, 10:59 PM
Whatever I find..from Dual silver plated IC's to a bunch of stuff from Radio Shack. Works for me.

avguytx
12-03-2007, 11:02 PM
All Esoteric Audio cables because, well, um, I'm a rep for them. :D

OvenMaster
12-04-2007, 12:35 AM
Speaker wire: 12ga. low-voltage landscape lighting cable: bare wire ends at the amp, RatShack gold banana plugs at the speakers.
Interconnects: generic cheapies except for a Monster Interlink 100 between the CD player and the amp.

sleddogman
12-04-2007, 03:42 AM
KnuKoncepts for interconnects along with a 30' length of their Karma SS twisted pair 12 gauge wire they had on closeout that was left over from a spool. Made two nice 15' cables.

Have also used 14 gauge low voltage wire from Home Depot and been very pleased with both the sound and price.

MagneMan
12-04-2007, 07:55 AM
Sleddog, funny you would mention them. I was perusing their product list at 3 am this morning, lol. They almost got some of my hardearned, but i decided to wait until I was wide awake to choose.

Mark W.
12-04-2007, 11:19 AM
My speaker cables are approx. 20 feet long made from Caroll C-1108 Coax cable (50 ohm 16ga twisted copper core w/ 95% braided copper shield)

I use no connectors on the Speaker end the shield is stripped back and gathered together and twisted into a round conductor both ends on the amp end have a tiny bit of solder to help hold the strands from separating. I use a little heat shrink tubing over the conductor.

On the Amp end since my speaker cables connect to my Heathkit Audio Control Center (in line power meters) and I did the same thing turning the braided shield into a round connector then I made loops on both conductors and used heat shrink tubing to help hold the loops. I did this since the Heathkit uses a binding post that the wire has to attach to a threaded pin with a clamping nut.

The Coax helps filter the speaker signal both ways so I don't get interference with the interconnects or pickup any things from the Power cords. I route the wires up and out the top of the rack to physically keep them away from any other cables. And by using bare wire to unit connections I don't loose anything while the signal changes from copper to solder to gold plated brass (or what ever the connectors base metal would be)

The cost of this cable was I believe 69 cents a foot at the local electronics supply store.

cfranz
12-04-2007, 12:54 PM
Mostly cat-5e either in single pair or in quad pair configuration.

In one case 99.999 silver 34awg through teflon for the signal, and litz for the ground.

I do not believe that there is a commercial connecter product in my system anywhere. No real reason, just cheaper and much easier to control quality.

ehoove
12-04-2007, 01:02 PM
KnuKoncepts for interconnects along with a 30' length of their Karma SS twisted pair 12 gauge wire they had on closeout that was left over from a spool. Made two nice 15' cables.

Have also used 14 gauge low voltage wire from Home Depot and been very pleased with both the sound and price.

How did the Knuconcepts compare to the low voltage wire 14Ga.?
Jim

legalalien
12-04-2007, 03:59 PM
Mapleshade Golden Helix speaker wires and Signal Cable Analog 2 IC's and digital coax cable.

Tedrick
12-04-2007, 08:22 PM
IC's: Audioquest Coral and Diamondback, with White Zombie Chupacabra from SACD to pre-amp.

Speaker cables: AQ Rockefeller, AQ Type 6, or (most recently) Nordost Blue Heaven.

bshorey
12-04-2007, 09:01 PM
12 Gauge, almost everywhere (hmmm, sounds like I'm from the NRA!).

I buy it by the spool.

bs

bradleyc
12-04-2007, 11:12 PM
Audioquest Volcano speaker cables and Cheetah interconnects, got them all from Audiogon in the past year in real nice condition...

NeedForSpeed
12-05-2007, 08:34 AM
Canare cable with there F10 RCA's
Vampire wire 10G speaker wire.

kcollins4
12-05-2007, 08:38 AM
#12 landscape wire, cheapo IC's from Rat Shack.

mhardy6647
12-05-2007, 08:43 AM
interconnects: DIY made from twisted pairs of 30 ga varnish-insulated (copper) magnet wire.
Some of my DIY I/Cs are made from 75 ohm coax, instead.

speaker wire: DIY made from single or double runs of plenum-grade (Teflon-insulated) CAT5 network cable for tube gear.

Solid state: 18 or 16 ga "zip cord".

Jack G
12-05-2007, 09:18 AM
Stereo- Analysis Plus Oval 8 speaker cables and Solo Crystal ICs.
HT- Geortz MI3 speaker cables, and copper micropurl ICs, plus other ICs.
Jack

sleddogman
12-06-2007, 02:21 AM
How did the Knuconcepts compare to the low voltage wire 14Ga.?
Jim
To be honest, these old rock n roll beaten ears really are hard pressed to tell the difference, but I'd probably give a slight edge to the KnuConcept twisted pair cable. I've since seen bulk spools of exactly the same wire offered on the Bay for what works out to be less per foot.

Gibsonian
12-06-2007, 12:24 PM
10 ga speaker wire bought on a bulk spool

Homemade interconnects using pro style 3 wire XLR cable and WBT gold plated RCA's or XLR's from Parts Express.

Grainger49
12-06-2007, 12:38 PM
Cardas Neutral Reference for Phono to Pre

Harmonic Tech Truth link from Pre to Power

#18AWG Zip cord,bi-wired to speakers

Billfort
12-06-2007, 12:58 PM
For my tube/SET based main system; Final Labs ICs, single twisted pairs of CAT-5 sourced wire or Western Electric 3-strand Litz braids for speaker wire. All are solid core, thin gage copper with the FL and WE stuff cloth/silk covered.

I occasionally use Geortz MicroPurl silver, Van den Hul, MIT, various home-grown ICs and have a handful of exotic Digital ICs to try but I mostly forget about this stuff and enjoy using the above mentioned wires - just seem to work well with my system.

For my HT and bedroom systems I mostly use whatever I have laying around for IC's and various CAT-5 recipes for the speakers.

Jovinyl
12-06-2007, 03:06 PM
Speakers,14 ga. lamp cord. Homemade IC's with Belden 1694 coax +Canare RCAP CF5 rca's.

dmax99
12-06-2007, 08:09 PM
Zebra ICs & Cat 5 for the Speaker Cables, left in its original sheathing.

David

whyaskit
12-06-2007, 11:02 PM
Speaker cable is Kimber.

IC for the CDP is DIY solidcore copper wire with twin returns, braded. I posted about this IC in the DIY CAT5 thread. For TT I have an cable that is nice, but I am not sure of the make, to the phono pre. After I have Straight Wire, I forget the model. Nice sound.

For all of my other system, I have various Monster Cable, both IC and speaker, that I think is nice for the price, Usually less than $5 for a IC or a lenth of wire.

A pic of the DIY cable
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=62329&d=1190346381

MisterFishey
12-07-2007, 08:09 PM
For my speaker cable, I have some 18 (I think) gauge copper wire I picked up at Goodwill for $6.99/100 feet, and for my regular cables, whatever I have in the basement. Probably Radio Shack. My system isn't good enough to merit decent cables yet. :no:

speakerfritz
12-07-2007, 10:35 PM
Speaker wires
HF section Monster sigma retro
LF section Monster M2.2

Interconnectes
Monster sigma xlr
Monster M1000 RCA

Power cords
Monster powerline 400

Elfasto
12-07-2007, 10:44 PM
Lets see...

Speaker wires: Acoustic Research 12 ga with the nylon centers, gold pins to the amplifier, and some big battery lugs for the speaker end. Speaker internal wiring is 12 ga automotive primary wire, and it splits off from the cross-over to 14 ga for the woofer, and 18 ga to the mids and tweeters.

The rest are all home made RCA cables (radio shack ends) with microphone cable.

The only exceptions are the video cable and Audio L-R cables from the Laserdisc to the TV (monster cable and Acoustic Research), and of course the PlayStation 2 uses it's own.

exracer
12-07-2007, 11:23 PM
Transparent musiclink plus speaker and balanced IC's. For cd player to pre using the oem ones that came with the player (linn)

For the hometheatre QED silver anniversary biwired, ultralink, ixos component and ic's, transparent digital coaxial, and monster for the rears

chewy
12-17-2007, 07:24 PM
I'm using Monster cable for the speakers and interconnects. So here is dumb question #1 from a new guy. All these wires and connects are at least 15 years old. Should I be changing to new stuff that is better now?

Yamaha1
12-17-2007, 10:11 PM
I beat you, my Monsters are older, around 20 years or so. Same for the Rat Shack Gold as well as VDH interconnects.

trhee
12-17-2007, 11:21 PM
Speaker Cables: Kimber 8TC, Paul Speltz Anti-Cables

Interconnects: Kimber PBJ, Kimber Hero, Belkin PureAV Silver Series

Danger Boy
12-18-2007, 12:30 AM
i use the ones that sound the best to me and are in my price range. :yes:

wineslob
12-18-2007, 12:05 PM
I'm using Speltz Anti-cables on the MR/Ts and Rat Shack 16ga flat OFC on the woofers.
IC's are the Zebra Analog IC's

rroobbcc
12-18-2007, 03:12 PM
Speaker cable is Monter Cable Z3, which was a true revelation over the MIT Terminator 3 cables they replaced. I didn't buy into a lot of the cable debates until I compared these two.

Interconnect cables are a mix of MIT AVt 1, MIT MI-330, MIT Terminator 2, and assorted other cables.

gearhound
12-18-2007, 03:47 PM
Speaker cable: Kimber 4VS
Interconnects: Audioquest Ruby, Tara Labs Prism 22, & Heartland Canare

Steve

roadie1
12-19-2007, 12:00 AM
Depends on the set-up at the time............

Speaker wires: Monster XP/Kimber 8TC/Nordost Flatline or Super Flatline
IC's: Kimber Hero's/Nordost Blue Heaven or Red Dawn..........R1

Tom Brennan
12-20-2007, 11:35 AM
Speaker wires----lamp cord from the hardware store and some flat speaker wire from Parts Express.

Patch cords---whatever comes to hand after 35 years in this hobby; one ends up with lots of them.

I'll put a goddam gun to my head before I call patch cords "interconnects". I don't call garbage dumps "landfills" either.

Years ago I tried copper welding lead as speaker wires, just enough to hook up one speaker, I used a couple of long stingers. Waste of time.

spartanmanor
12-20-2007, 11:43 AM
I am getting ready to make some new interconnects from MIL spec 22 AWG silver plated O2 free cable. It will be interesting to see if I can hear a difference from the AR cables I am running now.

Alaric
12-22-2007, 10:43 AM
I'm using CAT Cables (silver) for everything but speakers. My speaker cables are Wire World 3 meter bi-wires.

markb
12-22-2007, 06:58 PM
I use coleman in wall cable 14-2 or 14-4 and 12-2

ehoove
01-12-2008, 02:55 PM
Current wire setup
Interconnects - AudioMagic Excaliber II
Power - Zu Cable Bok
Speaker - I used SoundKing 12 GA. OFC for the last few years, but just switched to 12 GA.OFC Magnet Wire Twisted Pair DIY (similar to Speltz Anti-Cables)
Regards,
Jim

jimfet
01-12-2008, 03:24 PM
I just use any gold plated cables I can find. Plus I have been using the same 16 ga. monster cable for my speakers for about 30 years now.

kretinus
01-13-2008, 01:03 AM
I run bulk 12 ga oxy free, rope braided with Monster ends on the Yamahas and SDATs, and 16 ga. on the Bose. All my patch cables are DIY with Scoshe cable and ends I've had laying around for years.

Mr. Lin
01-21-2008, 07:39 PM
I use almost entirely Kimber. The 4TC for my speakers, and for interconnects I'm using PBJ, Hero, and, best of all, their Silver Streak. Unfortunately none of these are shielded so I can't use them with my turntable setup. For the turntables at the moment I'm using the interconnects that came with my Pro-Ject RM-5 (actually not bad at all), and for my Thorens I'm using XOL HTP1 interconnects, and those are definitely great.

ehoove
01-21-2008, 08:32 PM
Update:
I now bi wire my Maggie MG1.6Qr's - 12Ga. Magnet wire for the low end, and 12 Ga. OFC Sound King for the upper end. Tighter bass, and smoother, warmer top end. Great combo!! FWIW!
Jim

squidboyw
02-11-2008, 11:19 PM
Depends on the system: in the big rig, it is almost all Purist Audio Design Dominus and Venustas (TT to pre, CD to pre, pre to amp), Krell Cogelco Black R2R to pre, MIT 330 tuner to pre, Nakamichi Blue cass to pre. Speaker cable is Purist too (tri-wire to B&W 808s - almost 30 years old and still roaring!)

The vintage system: some monster Interlink 4, some MIT 330, some Esoteric Audio that is so old I don't even remember where it came from, and some home-brew solid silver from a recipe posted on Soundstage.com. Still looking for some better speaker wire here. Using Esoteric Audio from SX-1010 to a set of B&W Matrix 1's ($8 for the pair at St Vinnie's)

bocoogto
02-12-2008, 10:45 AM
12 gage monster zip cord, 16 gage inwall construction speaker cable, and 16 gage brown lamp cord. I've compared by A/B test with "audiophile" cables, and am happy with feeding my Infinity Quantum II's and III's with cables listed above.

Face
02-12-2008, 12:54 PM
Added MIT shotguns to the 2 ch. rig.

WhiteSE
02-12-2008, 01:00 PM
I use mostly the cables that are sold on the Steve Hoffman site by Grover Huffman...I bought all of them used though. I think they are excellent, and he uses RCA's that fit the sometimes crowded R and L RCA jacks!

Mister Pig
02-13-2008, 09:00 AM
I use the Illusions 4D line of interconnect, speaker wire, digital cable. Have the Audio Magic Extreme series of power cords.

Others that I have enjoyed

TG Audio
Audio Magic Extreme speaker cable
Chord Audio Odessey 2
Alpha Core AG1 speaker wire
various Straighwire offerings

Regards
Mister Pig

kichijai
02-14-2008, 08:43 PM
Wow quite a bit of high end cables for a vintage audio site!

Lowly Belkin Pure AV here
Original Monster 12 ga. gives the best, fat bass and not too much HF energy for my system.

mulveling
02-14-2008, 08:51 PM
For speaker cables I've gone back to using some $0.75 /ft star quad (4x14 gauge) from Ascend Acoustics that I've had lying around since my early HT days. Very flexible for use with various vintage gear - need to connect to some odd terminals? *SNIP* :D

Previous to that I'd tried some MIT Terminator 2's and LAT SS1000 MkIIs. The differences are very subtle, but if anything I prefer the cheapo star quad cable.

For ICs it's a motley mix of whatever I've collected over the past few years and not yet sold. Audioquest Sidewinders, Bogdan Audio silver princess, a few old sets of HGA Silver Lace. In the future, if anything I'll probably get some Blue Jeans cables and sell off the more expensive HGAs (I find their LoK connectors to be TERRIBLE). I'm pretty sure I've never heard a solid difference between interconnects, but that's just my ears :) Would rather spend the money elsewhere in my system.

All stock power cords!

Satch
02-15-2008, 02:13 AM
I use german W&M cable for both speakers and equipment. Made of copper and loads of insulation, they look the biz for (to me) a reasonable amount of money. Best feature to me are the easy to change spades or banana's from the speaker-cable.
Only exception is the cable from my TT to the phono-pre, that's a homemade thin gold/silver cable. I needed a very flexible cable, so the W&M's, nice as they are, were absolute inappropriate.

Negotiableterms
02-15-2008, 02:34 AM
Main system: Cardas Golden Reference, on all connections except the bass speaker cables, which are PS Audio Statements (6 Gauge).

Office system is same, except Monster Cable M2.2S for speaker cables.

Other systems are bits and pieces of random stuff, with a lot of Monster Cable.

playman
02-18-2008, 03:21 PM
I use the standard gauge electrical power cable from Lowes. I think next time I will get even a thicker electrical wire if I ever replace it.

Art K.
02-18-2008, 03:30 PM
For my main system I use van den Hul The Orchid IC's and vdH D-352 speaker cable...magnum being just a bit too full for the Rega setup. Use the vdH Mainserver power cord with the Rega Apollo and a Kimber PK10 with the Mira 3 (couldn't afford the vdH Mainstream). Sounds great and I've tried lots of brands but for this system I feel I've found just the right formula.

Rocco
02-26-2008, 08:52 PM
Well, it was near midnight last night and I wanted to hook up some speakers...no speaker cord around...took an old white extension cord to the knife and presto, I had sound!

I think I like it a lot, may change all wires to this type.

m4rz
02-26-2008, 09:14 PM
I actually use standard car installation speaker wire and interconnects..oh and not monster. I have never had an issue, it's relatively cheap. If it works in a car isolating anytype of car noise, then I figure it should be good for home audio.

imho

oldschoolADS
02-29-2008, 07:46 PM
Well I just went from Kimber Heros to Kimber Silver Streaks. I got a set on ebay for $95...Just stunning is all i can say...I didnt expect to hear much of a difference over my Kimber Heros. Amazing.

Mid bass got dialed back a bit but the soundstage just blooms. Very Neutral and the highs are just so much more detailed. I'm listening to Girl in the Other Room by Dianne Krall over and over just because its now so vivid. I also couldnt get Mozart's Marriage of Figaro. Female vocals connoisseur here.

Now here's a surprise...this is all on my car system. Trust me I dont do my critical listening on the freeway, but it wouldnt matter. My car system would embarass many home systems being the SQ freak that I am. Its all old school Alpine and ADS. Alpine 7909 head unit, Alpine 5959s 20 bit burr brown Changer, ADS 325is separates and two ADS PQ20 old school pure SQ amps. Dynamat'd floor, ceiling and doors. I ran the Silver Streaks from the 5959s Changer to the head unit and have Kimber Heros running from the head unit to the two amps.

Now I brought the hero's into my home system and the midbass is now more pronounced. I was using monster cables from long ago before and its quite a difference with my luxman r117/ads/speakerlab home system

dmusgrave
02-29-2008, 08:11 PM
Currently running Monster cable 14 gauge XP-CI speaker wire and wondering what others are using.

Picked up a Tara Labs Master Gen digital 75 interconnect online with another purchase. Anyone used this particular one?

Got a nice Silver Sonic D 110 digital XLR AES/EBU included with the Parasound transport off eBay.

Absolutely not trying to start a "my wire, cable or interconnect is best" fight, just looking for information.

Belden 12-gauge 5000UE speaker wire @ .57 per foot.

Blue Jeans Cable LC-1 Low Capacitance Stereo Audio Cables @ 34.75 each.

I'm cheap, and they sound good to me :thmbsp:

dmusgrave
02-29-2008, 08:16 PM
I use mostly the cables that are sold on the Steve Hoffman site by Grover Huffman...I bought all of them used though. I think they are excellent, and he uses RCA's that fit the sometimes crowded R and L RCA jacks!

I've never heard a difference in cables once you get to the "quality" level of cable, but if I had money I think I'd try those :thmbsp:

majoco
03-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Here's a thought. People use big fat low resistance speaker cable so that the signal that comes out of the amp suffers no degradation on its way and also the damping factor of the amp low output impedance has its full effect on speaker cone movement. Now, at the output terminal of the amp there will be some negative feedback taken to the input stages. Why not bring the feedback terminal out to the panel so that a small screened wire can then be extended out to the speaker terminals. Then the wiring to the speaker is included in the amps feedback circuit and should now have no effect on damping or frq, response. Just a thought......

Why all this emphasis on big fat wire anyway. Have you seen the skinny stuff inside your amps and speakers? Think I might change my login name to 'Tin Ears' or something....

AnalogDigit
03-03-2008, 10:39 PM
Speaker wire 12 gauge from the local Home Depot. 49 cents a foot. :D

Byrdsmaniac
03-04-2008, 11:43 AM
I use 16 gauge lamp wire for speaker wire. I use whatever comes with my components for interconnects. If an interconnect fails, I buy whatever is cheap that is reasonably sturdy.

reflex
03-04-2008, 06:58 PM
First post here...

Reality Cables SP biwires for speakers and Reality Cables IC SE interconnect from cdp to int. amp. Black Sand Violet ZII on cdp and DH Labs Red Wave on int. amp for power cables.

:music:

VinylRob
03-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Mostly Coincident Techn. cables XLR and speaker. Great copper!
Some Kimber Hero RCA too.
PS audio mains power.

Happy Listening! :beatnik:

dmusgrave
03-04-2008, 10:57 PM
Here's a thought. People use big fat low resistance speaker cable so that the signal that comes out of the amp suffers no degradation on its way and also the damping factor of the amp low output impedance has its full effect on speaker cone movement. Now, at the output terminal of the amp there will be some negative feedback taken to the input stages. Why not bring the feedback terminal out to the panel so that a small screened wire can then be extended out to the speaker terminals. Then the wiring to the speaker is included in the amps feedback circuit and should now have no effect on damping or frq, response. Just a thought......

Why all this emphasis on big fat wire anyway. Have you seen the skinny stuff inside your amps and speakers? Think I might change my login name to 'Tin Ears' or something....

I'm not sure why the speaker wire gauge makes a difference... but both myself and my girlfriend noticed an improvement in sound when I went to better 12 gauge speaker wire.

Mine could have been a placebo effect... but she didn't know what had changed... so I guess it DID sound better to her anyway :thmbsp:

And yes, I've seen the tiny stuff in my amp and speakers. The speakers are going to get upgraded internal wiring... not much I can do about the amps :D

Dave C
03-05-2008, 07:22 AM
The key issue with the tiny wires in the amps is the short runs they make. I've found that for me 12ga stranded sounds better than 16ga stranded. My speaker runs are 10'. I would also recommend both speaker wires be the same length. I'm not splitting hairs, I just like to keep them lined up for future splitting

AU20K
03-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Rapport Cables for woofers, 12 awg marine multustrand for mid/tweeters and audiouest for interconnects.
P. S. Garbage dumps have evolved into landfills and its so cool to say interconnects instead of patch cords. :D

shelly_d
04-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Speakers: 12 to 16 gage lamp cord - local hardware store.

"Interconnects": $1.50/pair coax from the local swap meet.

It's still just wire. Long as the overall length is reasonable, the capacitance and inductance is reasonable low and the shields are intact and well connected to ground its going to sound good and (I Think) hard to tell the difference between types.

Njord Noatun
04-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Speaker wire: Zip cord. Interconnects: The cheapest RCA I can find at RadioShack.

Glen B
04-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Speaker cables, interconnects and power cords all by Acoustic Zen.

zenith2134
04-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Since my interconnects are kept short, I too use the cheap ratshack cables..... with the exception of my main rig where I use monster.

Speaker wires? Just some 14awg GE (made in China) multicolored crap, sounds GREAT.

yuman
04-04-2008, 10:22 PM
Harmonic Tech the truth ic's, and there 10 and 11 power chords. There stuff while not cheap....well it is compared to some, is light years better then anything in it's price range. I was a audio salesman for over 20 years and have heard or owned just about everything out there. Being a charter member of the componet of the month club i've yet to find cables this good. I really feel there a awesome value and look forward to upgrading as funds allow.

gearhound
04-05-2008, 07:36 AM
Did some changes in my cables since I added a DIY passive preamp:

Speaker Wire:

10 foot pair, 12awg Beldon 5000 (from BJC).

Interconnects:

Tuner-to-passive preamp: 1 meter pair, Heartland Cable Canare's.
CD player-to-passive preamp: 1 meter pair, Tara Labs Prism 22s.
Passive preamp-to-power amplifier: 2 foot pair, Blue Jean Cable LC-1 (Beldon).

Steve

wrat
04-14-2008, 02:02 PM
rat shack flat wire for speakers now
previous: Rat shack solid core hook up wire quad wrapped for biwiring,original monster,wireworld atlantis
interconnect mostly monster ilink 400,some rat shack

satterfi
04-14-2008, 05:19 PM
For the most part it's just a conductor for the electrons to their little giggle. In a home environment, zip cord is good enough for me.

Industrial environments can cause significant problems with motors, relays and other goodies being part of the party. Signal quality isn't something to be ignored when you get crap at your controlling device.

Since I don't listen to my systems next to the clothes washing machine while it's running, I don't need super duper/ shielded/ co-ax/ BS cable.

pbda
04-15-2008, 09:35 AM
I've got a variety of interconnects: Blue Jeans Cables, Audioquest Sidewinders and some AR-branded interconnects are what I'm using now.

Speaker cable: Mapleshade speaker wire, Blue Jeans Cables 12 gauge and some cheapo 12 gauge that I got from "You-do-It Electronics".

Brett a
04-15-2008, 10:17 AM
Not to get too picky here, but I've seen cables referred to as wires. There actually is an important difference (unlike the non-existent difference between interconnects and patch cords). A cable (or cord) consists of multiple strands of wire. A wire is a single wire.

Here's what i use:
Interconnects:
CD to Amp - Siltech New York
Phono to amp - Siltech ST-18 G3.

AC Cords
CDP: Audioquest NRG-2
Amp: Signal Cables Magic Power

Speaker cable:
Bulk 0.60/ft speaker cable from my local hifi shop.
Run shotgun (like bi-wire, but two separate cables per side)
Bare on speaker ends, compression ends on amp end (bananas on one set,and spades on the other)

darren
04-15-2008, 11:14 AM
Hi I have Monstercable M 1.2 on highs and OMC on bass Ic,s are M350 M550 IL400

Darren

pbda
04-15-2008, 10:24 PM
Not to get too picky here, but I've seen cables referred to as wires. There actually is an important difference (unlike the non-existent difference between interconnects and patch cords). A cable (or cord) consists of multiple strands of wire. A wire is a single wire.

Indeed. The Mapleshade speaker wires are, in fact, wires and not cables.

fuzzy
05-03-2008, 11:08 PM
My Soundlab A1s are connected to 2 Crown Studio reference 2 studio amps with lamp cord. The amps put out 2kw each and it sounds great.
I use the zip,lamp cord with all my speakers, this is just the most dramatic setup.
Interconnects from Radio shack and the cheapest I could find. These tend to become intermittant at the connectors to I switched to profesional patch cords like they use in recording studios and in concert soundreinforcement rigs. These are super flexible cords with high quality conductors and very reasonably priced. Sound is good. Patch cords dont break anymore.

Update the Crown amps are connected to the preamp using a balanced connection with cheap pa mic cable. Digital connections are with Apoggee cable and the above mentioned pro patch cords (XLR cords for AES EBU)

BrocLuno
05-04-2008, 09:07 PM
PE Video grade patch cables (inter-connects) for the low capacitance - general use. For critical runs like TT to phono section I use Python OFC video grade cables.

Speakers - depends on amp and load. Bookshelf 2-ways with modest amp get 12 gage Beldon lamp wire. Floor standers and 3-ways running above 50 watts get Anchor brand tinned marine grade cable at 10 gage or bigger.

hotroady
07-12-2008, 10:30 PM
Here's a thought. People use big fat low resistance speaker cable so that the signal that comes out of the amp suffers no degradation on its way and also the damping factor of the amp low output impedance has its full effect on speaker cone movement.

I agree to this approach to the woofers, particularly with most tube amps where damping factor may be relatively low. I use 8/4 welding cable for 15 ft runs. Rat Shack gold banana clip ends fit the 8ga stranded wire. Line loss, not a problem. I have used 10 ga/600v solid core wire for the tweets, knowing that the current is only being carried by along the perimeter of a wire. This would be very good for in wall, permanent bi-wire installation, but much too stiff be practical for most apts. I have now made a set of bi-wires consisting of braided(RF rejection) 14ga/600v soldered to end cap of ganged Rat Shack gold banana clip. The 8ga. stranded wire is also secured in a hole of suffcient size on these ganged posts, then plugged directly into preamp. At the speaker end the two pair of wires wires are kept seperated by terminating one pair several inches shorter than the other. This causes an arc in the curvature of the leads of the 8ga leads, upon hook up. The theory is; stranded wire builds inductance(as in transformer windings. By seperating that last foot, I believe it helps aliviate transfer of stranded wire inductance to single core wire used for tweeters. I think the finished result, followed the theory very well. I do have a set of Monster cable Z2 15ft bi-wires, and they are not as open or clear. I know now why they have a reputation as being "dark sounding". I would say bass is more controlled with the DIY version. The Z2's are more flexible and portable and a solid build. The case and adaptability with screw on spades, lugs, makes them versatile and worthwhile...and of course the case they come in works for either set. I would say AR interconnects are good performers, at a real nice price. at least they used to be. I also agree low capacitance is what's needed for interconnects Hope this helps.

cornhulio
07-12-2008, 11:06 PM
AQ king cobra or jaguar interconnects, all rca's except 1 pair of xlr's to one amp.
Romex 10 ga solid core single strand copper electrical wire for all my speaker cables, bare wire leads to the amp and the speakers.

Mr. Lin
07-15-2008, 07:05 PM
I got a pair of the Spelz Anti Cable speaker wire a few weeks back and I really like it. It seems much more revealing than the 4TC I was using before, definitely an improvement. I paid $45 for 4ft of the stuff, bare ended - amazing value.

I've also recently acquired a pair of AQ Colorado, used since I can't possibly afford them new, and they're the best I've heard so far. Many would probably accuse me of saying that just because they're so pricey, but they really do make an immediate and huge difference.

Another fairly recent acquisition are the Tara Labs RSC (rectangular solid core) Vector 1, which, aside from the Colorados are the best I've ever heard.

softmachine
07-16-2008, 07:05 PM
What I use:

some cheap monster wire?
Naim nac a5 speaker wire (a beast to work with)
Cardas din-rca for phono
Naim SNAIC interconnects
some generic din to rca cable I believe (it has no markings on it, but works fine)
Zu Cable Julian I just got, have to wait to try out, though
Also, a Zu Cable Birth power cord, if it ever comes in...

darren
07-16-2008, 07:17 PM
I use monster cable M1.2 for high OMC10 for lows ICs M350s and M550 M1000.

Darren

Tmac83
07-17-2008, 03:41 PM
I run all Zebra cables, both ic's and speaker

WilCruiser
07-18-2008, 12:46 PM
I've got a local supply place that gets generic, oxy free copper cable in pretty much any gauge I need. No inflated prices and great quality. Gold bananas on the ends and I'm good to go for a LOT less than the typical brands that are out there.

dirkmc3
07-22-2008, 11:23 AM
Speaker wire: 12ga. low-voltage landscape lighting cable, bare wire at the amp, RatShack gold banana plugs at the speakers.
Interconnects: generic cheapies except for a Monster Interlink 100 from the CD player to the amp.

I thought I was the only person to use 12 ga lighting cable...LOL Hey...its inexpensive and works beautifully. Soldered bare ends at the amp...Radio shock gold banana plugs at the speakers.

All my interconnects are monster 400mkII.

ehoove
07-22-2008, 11:48 AM
I just made up a set of cables on Sunday using 12 ga. Belden 5000ue that I picked up from Blue Jeans Cable for 57 cents a foot. I used Gold Banana plugs on both ends. All of my interconnects are AudioMagic Excaliber II's
Regards,
Jim

audiojay
07-22-2008, 12:20 PM
i personally like nordost cables and the addition of them between my souce and pre and pre and amps have made a condsiderable improvement over the cardas golden reference cables that i was using in their place.... haven't made the jump to speaker cables yet and i'm not certain that the upgrade over my current cables/speaker combination would be a huge cost/dollar improvement given i do not intend on upgrading the speakers... i've also auditioned the crystal cables on the system that i have and they are sweet! more expensive than vahalla but cheaper than odin...... it's purely a matter of preference and budget....

my first cable purchase going back many years was power cords for my amps using the OEM cables elsewhere in the system.... oh if it had only stopped there......

budgetaudio6
07-28-2008, 01:50 AM
i use what i can get cheap. though preferably 12 or 14 guage.

budgetaudio6
07-28-2008, 01:52 AM
I thought I was the only person to use 12 ga lighting cable...LOL Hey...its inexpensive and works beautifully. Soldered bare ends at the amp...Radio shock gold banana plugs at the speakers.

All my interconnects are monster 400mkII.

guilty as indicated. 12g solid

Rutgers
07-28-2008, 06:19 PM
The Monoprice Premium cables are surprisingly wonderful. I replaced all of my ICs with them after measuring to minimize cable clutter and potential interference. Placebo or not, the connectors are tight, they look nice, and I paid less than $30 shipped for a boatload of cabling. All told, I'm a happy customer.

Big Tuna
07-29-2008, 09:16 PM
I use Monster 12 gauge "true" copper spiral wound with magnetic flux core. I get a 100 foot roll for $50 at the local best buy. By far the best performing wire for the money. I am impressed with it's performance. Monster has on the roll label that the wire is something called "time correct" XP/HP stranded copper conductor. I do not know what that stuff is but my Kenwood LS-408B's(4 of them) sure do sing like a wild banshee on steroids being fed by my monstrous Pioneer SX 1980:yes::yes:

Charlie:nutz:

eddiekusa
08-06-2008, 04:55 PM
I'm Interested In Hearing From All With Experience With Flat Speaker Wires. What Brand, Ease Of Use, Durability When Run Under Carpet. Help Me Out Here Folks. I Appreciate It!

Face
08-06-2008, 05:14 PM
I use Goertz flatwire and also their AG2(also flat). The flatwire is 13ga and has a nice warm tone to it with plenty of bass. It has a nice thick jacket on it and is rated to be used in wall and also can be used under carpet.

Their AG2 is a 10 ga silver cable with a similar sound, but more highs and a tiny bit less bass. It has a clear plastic covering, so it's not as durable. While laying on it's side, you have to be careful not to step on it, etc... But laying flat on the floor or under a carpet, you should be fine. I've tried cables that were much more expensive, but still always go back to Goertz.

For more info: http://www.goertzaudio.com/

Mr. Lin
08-06-2008, 06:46 PM
In addition to the Anti speaker wire I now have a pair of the Anti interconnects. You can read my thoughts on both in this thread in the TOL forum:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=177712

karlo
08-08-2008, 09:16 AM
i use THHN 12 ga machine tool wire (i've got spools of the stuff , 10 ga is way,way overkill , + it's too hard to hide) , terminated in soldered + crimped -on spade lugs .

banana plugs have crappy contact area in comparison , and are spring loaded
- a good electrical connection has to be a solid mechanical one , and on 5 way
posts, i think spades are superior.

example:
@ 4 ohms , 250w is about 31.5 volts = about 7.9 AMPS of peak current . for 12 foot runs , 18 ga would work , 16 ga plenty good and 14 ga is overkill (good for 15-20
CONTINUOUS Amps) in commercial live sound ,where they are running thousands of
watts , they use the right wire for the job. with 50 and 100 foot runs , using wire that's way larger than needed would be inefficient , costly , hard as hell to run , and
HEAVY AS HELL! of course , in our homes , where we do what we please - if it
pleases us , we can run 3/0 builders cable ( how about 1" solid copper bars , insulated with asphalt paint?) on our 50 watt amps and feel like kings in our palace.

as for interc.. um , patch cables , i use belden or saxton rg58a/u stranded core terminated with switchcraft or neutrik metal bodied phono plugs . i think it's
got much tighter shielding than cheap molded cables , and i can make them the right
length for the job. (i also just happen to have a spool of the stuff lying around,
so it's basically free)

Face
08-08-2008, 01:35 PM
I changed some things around recently.

In my main rig, I'm using MIT AVt MA interconnects and speaker cables. For digital coax cables I'm using Blue Jeans Cables.

Living room/SDA rig, I'm using MIT Shotgun S2's with Goertz Flatwire speaker cable.

Bedroom rig I'm using BW Audio interconnects, Proflex speaker cable on the highs and Goertz Flatwire on the lows.

Mr. Lin
08-08-2008, 05:58 PM
Now add the XLO Reference 2 interconnects, which sound quite good so far.

chadnliz
08-13-2008, 08:25 PM
I juat loves me some Audioquest!

Rock6x
09-02-2008, 03:45 PM
[QUOTE=Tom Brennan;1529295]

Patch cords---whatever comes to hand after 35 years in this hobby; one ends up with lots of them.

I'll put a goddam gun to my head before I call patch cords "interconnects". I don't call garbage dumps "landfills" either.
QUOTE]

:beerchug:

I read a lot of posts here over the course of a day. This one is the winner today! You're my kinda people, Tom. :thmbsp: (and I have maybe 2/3 less time in this hobby than you do.)

Oh yeah, On topic:
Just regular patch cords for the most part, depending on video/audio. 14g flat wire for speakers, for now. Don't have anything decent where I could tell much of a difference at this point.

Mr. Lin
09-02-2008, 08:09 PM
I juat loves me some Audioquest!

What in particular?

JBN
09-03-2008, 08:46 AM
I use mainly Acoustic Zen Power Cords, IC, and Speaker Cable. I have a few other Power Cords in the mix: MIT, JAS, and Reality Cable. Huge improvement over what I was previously using.

Ozzy357
09-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Orange extension cords from harbor freight :yes:

Turbota
10-23-2008, 11:13 AM
'Blue Jeans' audio interconnects (Beldon LC-1) for 2 channel audio.

'Blue Jeans' component cables (Beldon 1694A) for video.

'Blue Jeans' supplied gold plated banana plugs

And some generic 14 guage speaker wire.

dtb300
10-24-2008, 02:01 PM
I have listened to many different manufactures and DIY cables in my setup: DH Labs, DIY Belden, Signal Cable, Heartland, Monster, Vh Audio DIY, Nordost, Cardas, Harmonic Tech, Rad Shack, PS Audio, Analysis Plus, Audioquest, MIT, JPS Labs, Tara Labs, Kimber, and Zu Audio Cable. I have always wanted to try out Siltech, but could never find a dealer around who had them for audition.

After all the trials and auditions I have settled on Zu Audio cables for IC and Speaker, and Signal Cable for Power Cords. Nice thing about both companies, is you can return them if you do not like them.

Mr. Lin
10-25-2008, 09:37 PM
I'm now using Kimber Select KS-1021 (one silver, one copper conductor) between my Rega CDP and amp. This one is the winner out of everything I've ever heard or tried, hands down, no contest. It's as if it isn't even there.

Unfortunately even this used half meter cost me a small fortune.

dyeraudio
10-25-2008, 09:41 PM
All my cables are PS Audio :thmbsp:....0.5M & 1.0M Statement interconnects and 1 pair PS Audio Statement speaker cables and 1 pair PS Audio Plus speaker cables.....

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd52/budracing1320/statement.jpg
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd52/budracing1320/PSAudioStat.jpg
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd52/budracing1320/PSAUDIOxStreamStatement-1.jpg

vegabass25
10-25-2008, 10:14 PM
monster 12 gauge wire for my fronts
cheapie 16 gauge wire for my surrounds
monster :banana: clips
monster speaker pins on surrounds

jrtrent
10-26-2008, 08:51 AM
I tend to follow manufacturers' directions with respect to interconnects and speaker wire. When I had the Linn LK1/LK2 combination, I used Linn interconnects and speaker wire (K20). Now that I'm using electronics from Audio by Van Alstine, I use cheap, generic-style interconnects and cheap, 16 gauge speaker wire, because that's what Frank Van Alstine said to use.

xargos
10-26-2008, 11:19 AM
For interconnects, I use Blue Jeans Cable products.

For speaker cable, I use 16ga lamp cord.

FB101
10-26-2008, 12:04 PM
All Zu Cables - just love the neutrality and transparency for the price they charge.

twc5964
10-27-2008, 08:48 PM
I've been using since 2001 when I bought all of this:
Tara Labs Prism 33 patchcords(these at that time were $100 a pair) and unterminated Audioquest type 4 speaker cables for bi-wire.After what I paid for all of this(over $475 in 2001) I told myself I'm using this stuff for a minimum of ten years to get my money's worth.

Now,i'm wondering if i'm missing out on something after reading every page of this thread....some of the brands like Anti Cables etc... sure are tempting.

VintInfinity
10-28-2008, 03:06 AM
I tend to follow manufacturers' directions with respect to interconnects and speaker wire. When I had the Linn LK1/LK2 combination, I used Linn interconnects and speaker wire (K20). Now that I'm using electronics from Audio by Van Alstine, I use cheap, generic-style interconnects and cheap, 16 gauge speaker wire, because that's what Frank Van Alstine said to use.

Interesting advice... but cool... if the designer made it so something would work, it should... doesn't mean you can't play around though.

VintInfinity
10-28-2008, 03:10 AM
I've been using since 2001 when I bought all of this:
Tara Labs Prism 33 patchcords(these at that time were $100 a pair) and unterminated Audioquest type 4 speaker cables for bi-wire.After what I paid for all of this(over $475 in 2001) I told myself I'm using this stuff for a minimum of ten years to get my money's worth.

Now,i'm wondering if i'm missing out on something after reading every page of this thread....some of the brands like Anti Cables etc... sure are tempting.

Your interconnects look great... speaker cables too... depending on the system and its overall synergy, you may like Anticables or not...

this page has advice for use with your IC's

http://www.sonic.net/soundscape/analogexpert.com/products/prism.html

Anticables seemed like taking a blanket off the same sound for my system... very nice... with this denser air, it's the best my system has sounded yet.

Pio1980
10-28-2008, 11:10 AM

Hmmm, I used to respect FVA's opinion, looks like he's turned into another Peter Aczel. Frank can't hear the differences with wire-ups and Peter can't hear the diff between amps, sheesh! I learned a lot from both of them back in the day before what-ever happened happened to them and their acumen.

I'm using home-brewed cat 5-ish for speakers and h-b ICs, shielded and unshielded. I'm considering trying Anti-Cables or h-b variants.

S.B.

Alaric
10-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Lamp wire , etc. all sound great-until you actually try good cabling on equipment that can exploit it. Just about everybody will reach a point of diminishing return with cable prices-some of us sooner than others!

twc5964
10-29-2008, 06:02 PM
Your interconnects look great... speaker cables too... depending on the system and its overall synergy, you may like Anticables or not...

this page has advice for use with your IC's

http://www.sonic.net/soundscape/analogexpert.com/products/prism.html

Anticables seemed like taking a blanket off the same sound for my system... very nice... with this denser air, it's the best my system has sounded yet.

Cool,thanx for the link.I seen to remember a page similar to this way back in 2001.I bought all this stuff and told myself "this had better make a difference for my system".Well,to my ears it certainly did. Still,I ponder the thought of what similar priced cables now might be better but my system is mid-fi so i'll keep using these for a while longer.

VintInfinity
10-29-2008, 06:46 PM
I have found changing the order of different IC's and speaker placement to make big changes as well... so if you want a change of sound, just mess around with what ya got.

dyeraudio
10-29-2008, 06:54 PM
Here's my finished cable project....

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd52/budracing1320/Cables002-2.jpg

classic carl
10-30-2008, 09:07 AM
DIY speaker cables that I purchase from a fellow AK'er, Audioquest G-Snakes for my CD players and Audioquest Sidewinders for my turntables in my 2 channel rigs. Monster Studiolink RCA to 1/4" from the preamp to the power amp in my main system.

Monster MB400 SW-2 Subwoofer Cable and Audioquest YIQ-A Component Video Cables for my HT set-up. 14 ga. Rat Shack bi-wired to my center channel, 14 ga. in the wall (when I built the house) to my rears and unknown brand speaker cables to the mains.

whoaru99
10-31-2008, 01:17 PM
Hmmm, I used to respect FVA's opinion, looks like he's turned into another Peter Aczel. Frank can't hear the differences with wire-ups and Peter can't hear the diff between amps, sheesh! I learned a lot from both of them back in the day before what-ever happened happened to them and their acumen.

Maybe they've both had an epiphany?

Pio1980
10-31-2008, 05:40 PM
Maybe they've both had an epiphany?

Meaning neither of them can no longer tell by listening, great from good and good from crap, or that those who claim to be able to do so are in fact self-delusional or just shameless liars?
S.B.

whoaru99
10-31-2008, 07:20 PM
Meaning neither of them can no longer tell by listening, great from good and good from crap, or that those who claim to be able to do so are in fact self-delusional or just shameless liars?
S.B.

I simply meant they've changed their opinion for one reason or another.

Certainly, each will read into it what supports their own beliefs.

But, we're both way OT with this sidebar...

Pio1980
10-31-2008, 07:44 PM
I simply meant they've changed their opinion for one reason or another.

Certainly, each will read into it what supports their own beliefs.

But, we're both way OT with this sidebar...

Aware and agreed! For me it was a matter of disappointment and lost credibility, having done biz with both of them in the past. That's all.

Back on topic;
My cabling has evolved over the years for audibly enhanced/improved sound quality, the most recent major change being done last night. The cat-5 speaker cabling I've been using for 2 decades+ changed out for some interesting multi-strand/individually enameled wire we had been using for antenna wire. Made up some faux AntiCable-ish speaker runs with it & used some corrugated HDPE wiring loom to manage it. Sounds a definite upgrade in resolution and cleaniness all around over the old-reliable cat-5-ish stuff, tho' tonal balance changes have yet to be determined. Initial impressions very favorable, sounds cleaner, more natural, and more 'real' heard even from another room. Thinking about perhaps trying the "HB-14" cheapskate speaker cabling sometime later as an alternate/parity check.

About the interconnects;
I have been using flat twinned speaker wire terminated with the cheapest stamped-shell RCA plugs as unshielded line-level ICs as long as I used the cat-5 and still find that a good economical compromise for high-end performance on-the-cheap. I use the star-connected single-end-connected-shield mic cable for the lo-level TT run. I may try the antenna wire as ICs sometime & see if that works better than the flat speaker line ICs.
S.B.

MagneMan
11-12-2008, 06:40 PM
I haven't spent much time experimenting with speaker wire, I have tried the brown electrical cord wire that comes in a spool for my 8track player and speakers back in 1971, and 12 ga monster cable, which I use now. lol

Art K.
11-15-2008, 08:02 PM
Can't remember if I posted here..

After trying many brands and home brews...I've found that the van den Hul line is by far the best for me. I use it on nearly everything. When I'm short dough I'll use Kimber until I can afford the vdH of my choice.

Mr. Lin
11-19-2008, 09:25 PM
I don't think I've mentioned this here yet, but I now have Grover Huffman's phono and line level interconnects throughout my turntable setup and they're the best I've ever tried in that application, even completely eliminating hum and noise that no other model of cable could get rid of before. If you look at his website where there are pictures and descriptions of his design concepts it's amazing, I've never seen anything quite like it.

Next on the list is his power cord.

ADS 2030
12-06-2008, 12:08 PM
I've spent a ludicrous amount of money on speaker wire and interconnects over the years :tears:...Copper/silver/multi strand...I enjoyed it for the first 15 or so years it was a lot of fun. But after all those years of trying every type and manufacturer of wire I could get my hand on,it seem in my system that it was different variations of the same thing...nothing ever made me say Holy Crap:yikes: now that's Nice.
Until I tried MIT...my system just blosmed...my sound stage got deeper and wider at the back.I've never looked back...MIT for me :thmbsp:

chadnliz
12-19-2008, 10:19 PM
I had the opposite experience MIT was too my a sonic mess that was good for cheap gear but poor on good gear, I use Audioquest, Kimber, Tekline, Cardas, Tara Labs, Discovery.........wait I may have been here before.

analogguyinadig
12-19-2008, 10:37 PM
Paul Speltz anti-cables. Ridiculously good, ridiculously inexpensive.

JimJ[VT]
12-19-2008, 10:44 PM
I'm using Monster 16awg twisted pair speaker wire, only because it was marked down insanely cheap at Walmart one day.

For line-level, I use whatever I have around, which is a mix of Dayton Audio cables from Parts Express & cables from Knukonceptz.com. Both have worked well over the years...

TomG
01-22-2009, 07:04 PM
Mostly JPS labs , will eventually be all JPS labs when I can afford it

socioloco
02-09-2009, 11:44 AM
Expensive ones:

Transparet interconects
Kimber Cable for speakers

Cheap ones:
Monster, RCA, 10 AWG black and red

Don't feel major difference between cheap or expensive ones, maybe I just have my ears full of sand...:scratch2:

Drybasement
02-10-2009, 09:59 AM
For the 2-Channel system I've been using Zebra Cable analog interconnects with great success. Even purchased a Zebra Cable IEC power cord for my phono preamp. In fact, I need to place another order with Scott soon. Speaker wire is Esoteric 14 gauge.

Cheers

JBN
02-10-2009, 10:32 AM
Speaker cables, interconnects and power cords all by Acoustic Zen.

Same here......And I lovem....I need one more AZ PC for my sub.

legalalien
02-10-2009, 02:57 PM
I use Signal Cable Analog 2 interconnects ($49) and Mapleshade Audio Golden Helix speaker wire ($85) and love both.

TUBEDatomic4
02-12-2009, 01:47 AM
I personally think most everything PS Audio makes cable wise is fantastic. If you can swing the money, try lisening to a set of their solid silver interconnects... SIMPLY AWESOME!!

JimInPA
02-12-2009, 08:56 AM
Very old (20 years) Monster cable. A bundle of 4 fine wire strands in a clear vinyl jacket. Overall diameter is about 1/2" or better. Wire gauge is larger than the banana plugs going into the speakers.

eelrev
03-03-2009, 03:30 PM
Kimber 8 strand for my speakers and monster interconnects the one way cords for the rest

jetblack
03-04-2009, 04:44 AM
Main audio system

Balanced interconnects - Wireworld Silver Eclipse
Unbalanced interconnects - RCA
Front speakers (3) - Wireworld Silver Eclipse
Subwoofer - Wireworld Solstice
Rear speakers - Monster XL

cmb3366
03-05-2009, 08:58 AM
I use a little of everything, mostly good stuff that I picked up on the cheap.

Atlas Equator RCA from TT to Phono
Monster M1000 RCA from Phono to Amp
QED Audio 1 from CD to Amp
Phillips 'PXT' RCA from Amp to Headphone Mmp

Sonoran MkII 10' speaker cables

jfat
03-16-2009, 08:37 AM
Speaker wires----lamp cord from the hardware store and some flat speaker wire from Parts Express.

Years ago I tried copper welding lead as speaker wires, just enough to hook up one speaker, I used a couple of long stingers. Waste of time.

Wow,...you are old school:beatnik:
No worries, me too!. I've always called 'em patch cords, it's just that I get a lot of blank looks from the younger Guys, so I started calling them interconnects out of necessity.

Cheers

Jeff

seadoctor
04-01-2009, 11:46 AM
my best purchase was when i pick up some of Brads ,Revelation Audio Labs inteconects that connect my power suppy to my MF KW 500 integrated,all the power suppys and speaker interconnects are signal cable and cryoed ,hospital grade plugs.hard to beet signal cable for the price...:thmbsp:

markc2
04-01-2009, 11:58 AM
see below....

though my friend has got me all curious about Purist Audio..

Mark

Art K.
04-01-2009, 02:49 PM
1) Van Den Hul
2) Kimber Kable
3) Analysis Plus
4) Chord Co.
5) Blue Jeans (my favorite budget cable)

Sir.Byrd
04-01-2009, 02:50 PM
I use no frills Philips 16 gauge, $16.99 or so for 50 feet, can't tell a difference between that and other speaker wire, however I have not tried fancy stuff.

RebelKat
04-05-2009, 08:51 AM
Bedroom setup uses those Calrad hi-performance blue cables I scooped at Circuit city's closing almost entirely. I like them very much, good fit and finish.

Main setup uses Phoenix Gold triple shielded interconnects that Parts express offered a bunch of years ago. Pulled almost all of my monster cables out in favor of these, and would never look back.

Speaker wire is all 14 ga. standard home center type. all in short runs, sounds good to me!

@TOMMY@
04-05-2009, 01:03 PM
PCs - Siltech Ruby Hill II
ICs - Kimber Silver Streak & some Acoustic Research ones.
SCs - Kimber 4TC

Planning on replacing everything with Siltech in the future.

Mike19
04-06-2009, 05:48 PM
computer stereo

RCA coax: Empirical
USB: Belkin High Performance Pure Audio
Toslink optical: Sonic Wave glass fiber
RCA I/Cs: Transparent Link 100s
Subwoofer: Empirical
Power cords: PS Audio 8 and 10 gauge, Zebra 14g, MAC 14g, Acoustic Reasearch 12g, Signal 10g.
Spkr wire: Audience Au24 w/ custom silver plated Cardas spades

home theater

Toslink optical: Monster plastic fiber
power cord: PSA 12g
HDMI: Dayton Audio
Spkr wire FL&R: MIT Music Hose 750
Spkr wire Center: Audience Au24
Spkr wire surrounds: Monster 14 gauge bulk

Mike

macca_dj
04-06-2009, 06:00 PM
Interconnects
VAN DEN HUL THE WELL
VAN DEN HUL THE OPTOCOUPLER

SPEAKER CABLE
MONSTER AUDIO Z1 REFERENCE

SPEAKER CABLE INTERNAL
QED SILVER ANNIVERSARY

tmornini
04-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Signature says it all. :-)

qboneus
04-06-2009, 06:32 PM
Kimber VS & PR & TCX homebrews;
Chord co, DIY canare/wbt Homebrews, DIY belden/wbt homebrews
Various DIY power cables using marinco\wattgate and a bunch of red belden 83803 teflon fire alarm power wire leftover from a remodel job.
tal

Art K.
04-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Interconnects
VAN DEN HUL THE WELL
VAN DEN HUL THE OPTOCOUPLER

SPEAKER CABLE
MONSTER AUDIO Z1 REFERENCE

SPEAKER CABLE INTERNAL
QED SILVER ANNIVERSARY

I have The Well in my office system..wonderfully balanced cable.

cableguy
04-06-2009, 07:33 PM
Nordost Flatline Gold MKII...main rig
Kimber Kable 8TC...second rig
.19 cent per foot Doorbell wire...in each from time to time because it sounds way better than it should...

bradleyc
06-28-2009, 11:47 PM
My cables of choice for 3 systems are all Audioquest brand purchased used mint for a fraction of their cost on Audiogon over the past year and a half. All Cheetah, Panther, NRG-5, Kilimanjaro and Volcano. I love how these cables let the music flow, and at recession bargain blowout prices, awesome corporate wire!

Scott W
07-09-2009, 01:19 AM
$15 per 100ft.Phillips/Magnavox 16 gauge,both strands copper.Twist both strands together and use one wire for pos. & 1 for neg. 25 ft. lengths other cables are monster standard etc.Thrifty just like I said:D

redcoates7
07-09-2009, 09:07 AM
Depends on the day and gear but for the most part:

OEM Kenwood L-Series interconnects (nice and long, very flexible) 4-conductor 14 GA CL-rated in-wall cabling, or 2-conductor 16-GA CL rated cabling for older gear that won't take the heavier cable

Ethereal interconnects and Speaker Cables when the gear supports bananas 9Most of my Kennies don't)

Also have a bin full of Monster Cable M-Series stuff and even a set of M2.2 speaker cables (big robot-arm looking things) that I'll trot out every once in a while with the modern stuff

For the most part though I have a very Pro-Audio mindset with cables: it's all about a good quality, flexible cable with a quality connector that's long enough for the application

Arkay
07-09-2009, 09:28 AM
I'm using a mixture/variety of cables, both within my main system and elsewhere. Some Tara Labs. Some Japanese brands not so well-known elsewhere (e.g., Hisawa). Lately I've been making a bunch of DIY cables using Mogami star quad/microphone cable and one or two other Mogami offerings, and various jacks (Amphenol and again, some Japanese ones). For now, I'm pretty content with the results I'm getting. Similarly, my speaker wires vary, too: some Tara Labs, some DIY Cat 5 stuff, the latest is, again, Mogami cabling, and I have some "flat" wires in silver and in copper that I'm trying to find the right home for.

Not a great deal of rhyme or reason involved other than a lot of experimentation and some very subjective conclusions about what seems to work with which gear. It has been an area of slow upgrading for me, in part because of a reluctance to spend a lot of money in an area where I feel there is more "snake oil" than in most parts of the audio hobby, and I don't feel I know enough to separate the truly worthwhile expenditures from the "snake oil" stuff. I do feel I can get further benefit from possibly upgrading some of my cabling. However, most of my interconnect cables are at least 6 nines pure copper (some 8N or 9N), with at least 'decent' interconnects, so I'm not sure that the law of diminishing returns wouldn't kick in sometime soon, plus I generally like what I'm hearing from them, and so feel no need to push too hard in this area. I get more satisfaction (I believe) from buying more vinyl and the occasional piece of gear. My next direction for cables will involve experiments and upgrades to the power cables, and one day I will experiment with all-silver cables in the entire system, but it isn't a high priority at this stage. But for now, I'm a lot like redcoates7 above: having discovered the "pro" stuff (mostly Mogami), I'm moving in that direction for now, and quite satisfied with it so far. [NOTE: this paragraph is just explanatory of my thoughts about my cables at this moment, NOT meant to be argumentative in any way!]

audiodon
07-17-2009, 09:31 PM
I've recently graduated from Ace hardware oxygen free speaker wire to Nordost super flatlines. I have always railed against expensive interconnects and speaker wires, but I don't think that there's anywhere else to go. Besides, Barry Diament recommended them and that's good enough for me. Look up BDA audio for more. No I'm not affiliated.

I'm using Fisher tube integrateds and receivers and most of the internal wiring is silver coated copper.

When I put the super flatlines in the difference was not subtle, but I don't recommend it until you've reached some kind of component synergy in a system.

Since Nordost Blue Heavens are silver coated copper flatline cable, I decided to try that for further synergy and I found another improvement worth the money.

By the way, I bought all of this wire used.
I will be using Nordost in all systems from now on. It works for me. Your mileage may vary.
Don

ilikecrumpet
07-17-2009, 09:43 PM
I'm with Audiodon here - my system uses Blue Heaven interconnects and Super Flatline MK2 bi-wire speaker cables, although the unshielded Nordost aren't much cop for my turntable so I use Audioquest Sidewinders between TT -phono stage - amp.
It all seems to mate extremely well...

JoeESP9
08-10-2009, 08:36 PM
All my interconnects are Kimber Silver Streak. My speaker cables are DH Labs Silver Sonic Q-10 Signature. I'm currently experimenting with different upmarket power cords.

pmsummer
08-10-2009, 09:43 PM
If it's good enough for McIntosh Labs, Roger Russell, and Paul Klipsch, it's good enough for me.

14 ga. lamp cord...

...although I prefer my 20 ga. for dove.

BrianR
08-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Speakers: AudioQuest Type4+ front the front L R and Center, el cheapo 12ga for surrounds.

Digital: AudioQuest VideoOne coax(DVD), Dynex toslink (HTPC)

I've got a pile of really nice Straightwire s-video cables that I'm no longer using which bums me out a bit. Then again, can't beat that HD picture.

HDMI: whatever was cheapest at the time.

ClassikAudio
10-18-2009, 11:49 PM
Reference System: Active speakers with Shunyata Antares interconnects, all stock power cable.

Bedroom Stereo: DH Labs T14 Shotgunned speaker cable, DIY white lightning speaker cable, Kimber Hero interconnects. signal cable magic power and digital power cables.

Quirrel
10-19-2009, 02:00 AM
Video cables - Supra
Speaker and RCA - Blue Jeans Cable

I like the value for money thing :thmbsp:

Coytee
10-19-2009, 06:58 AM
If it's good enough for McIntosh Labs, Roger Russell, and Paul Klipsch, it's good enough for me.

14 ga. lamp cord...

Heretic..... :D

For some of my interconnects, I'm still using some disc washer "gold ends" (or something like that) that I purchased about 1979/1980.

I've got a batch of 12g wire bought from Home Depot

I've got a batch of home made XLR cables (Neutric connectors if I recall). One cool thing about at least one of them... I got creative with my soldering skills and crossed wired at least one of the wires.

It added a lot of bloom to the 60hz hum until I finally tracked it down.

:scratch2:

niklasthedol
10-19-2009, 07:31 AM
Living out the fact that no cables do music any favours and each cable "construction princip" has its own way of destructing the music signals.

So multicabling was the natural way to go for for me for my speakers.
Termination could handle it.

I wish I had the time to go multicabling for interconnects as well but instead I have auditioned and selected cables for each component from a collection of ~100-150 different brands of Medium to HQ interconnects.

"dolph"

cityslicker
10-19-2009, 08:11 AM
I used a heavy duty yellow extension cord I had with 14ga wire. I twisted the white & green wires together for + and used the black for - and attached banana clips on the ends.

countryslim
10-20-2009, 06:16 AM
I used a heavy duty yellow extension cord I had with 14ga wire. I twisted the white & green wires together for + and used the black for - and attached banana clips on the ends.

I use the cheap 110 volt extension cords, like the typical brown 20 footers with a three way female recepticle end. I've taken several of them and cut them in half and I wire the three way female into my speaker outputs and wire the male end half into each speaker as powerwire. I use the wide blade on the male plug as positive and label them speaker so they don't get pugged into a wall socket... :thmbsp: Anyway, those regular cheap brown, blue, green or whatever color three way household extension cords make good cheap speaker wire and its simple to extend your speakers into the next room and ya can plug in three speakers into one socket per channel. its as good a connection as an RCA jack and as easy to connect. Anyway, I figure if an electrical cord will carry 110 volt current, it will certainly power a speaker.. I've been using erxtension cords for years with no problem so far.

qboneus
10-20-2009, 01:00 PM
I use the cheap 110 volt extension cords, like the typical brown 20 footers with a three way female recepticle end. I've taken several of them and cut them in half and I wire the three way female into my speaker outputs and wire the male end half into each speaker as powerwire. I use the wide blade on the male plug as positive and label them speaker so they don't get pugged into a wall socket... :thmbsp: Anyway, those regular cheap brown, blue, green or whatever color three way household extension cords make good cheap speaker wire and its simple to extend your speakers into the next room and ya can plug in three speakers into one socket per channel. its as good a connection as an RCA jack and as easy to connect. Anyway, I figure if an electrical cord will carry 110 volt current, it will certainly power a speaker.. I've been using erxtension cords for years with no problem so far.
no offense but,:sigh:

labled or not, NO FRIGGIN" WAY!!:no:
even with labling you are still voiding your insurance coverage should god forbid something happen.
not safe, not a good practice, and just downright scary IMNHO.
cheers,
tal

Cheezman
10-20-2009, 03:53 PM

I do the same.

Except my extension cord is bright orange.... :worried:

To my ears, it sounds the same as the wire it replaced.

jimfet
10-20-2009, 07:48 PM
Just put 2 pairs of Guzi 2.5 meter speaker cables on my 4 front speakers. They are 9awg. Best stereo investment I have made in a while. It was jaw dropping.

cityslicker
10-20-2009, 08:29 PM
I do the same.

Except my extension cord is bright orange.... :worried:

To my ears, it sounds the same as the wire it replaced.

I was using Monster XP speaker wire and now I tried the extension cord. I don't believe there's any difference I can hear.

juniorJBL
10-21-2009, 09:56 AM
I have tried all the extension cords from the orange , yellow, green, red.

The red one with the black stripe on it sounded best to me.:D

I DIY most of my stuff. Have tried some of the snake oil stuff. Current stuff I have is some Audioquest Diamondback and Copperhead IC's that were given to me for $50 bucks from a friend of mine who was the manager of a high-end store here in town. It was a pile of cable that had others as well. I use a Liberty EZ-Linx for my projector because I can switch out the ends for what ever I need like RGB or HDMI.:thmbsp:

Cheezman
10-21-2009, 02:31 PM
I was using Monster XP speaker wire and now I tried the extension cord. I don't believe there's any difference I can hear.

Exactly the same wire I replaced. :thmbsp:

mulester7
10-22-2009, 09:33 PM
Just put 2 pairs of Guzi 2.5 meter speaker cables on my 4 front speakers. They are 9awg. Best stereo investment I have made in a while. It was jaw dropping......Bravo on the larger ga wire, Jim....we spend hundreds unto thousands of dollars on components, and then some try to squeak by with 16 ga wire on 20 foot runs....what's up with that? :dunno:....I'm going to use 12 ga wire if the run is one foot.....

Number 6
10-22-2009, 10:02 PM
I've recently graduated from Ace hardware oxygen free speaker wire to Nordost super flatlines. I have always railed against expensive interconnects and speaker wires, but I don't think that there's anywhere else to go. Besides, Barry Diament recommended them and that's good enough for me. Look up BDA audio for more. No I'm not affiliated.

I'm using Fisher tube integrateds and receivers and most of the internal wiring is silver coated copper.

When I put the super flatlines in the difference was not subtle, but I don't recommend it until you've reached some kind of component synergy in a system.

Since Nordost Blue Heavens are silver coated copper flatline cable, I decided to try that for further synergy and I found another improvement worth the money.

By the way, I bought all of this wire used.
I will be using Nordost in all systems from now on. It works for me. Your mileage may vary.
Don

Yup, I use Nordost Red Dawn and Blue Heaven interconnects throughout my system, and it wasn't a subtle improvement. When I added the Red Dawn IC's my system 'came alive' with a very beautiful 'presence'. I also use Audioquest silver plated ofc speaker cables, with Wilson Audio pure silver jumper cables on my biwired speakers. It just sounds beautiful. Silver is the way to go, as it brings far more detail (no its not tone control) to both the treble and bass.

countryslim
10-23-2009, 05:24 AM

even with labling you are still voiding your insurance coverage should god forbid something happen.
cheers,
tal

Insurance? we are talking about what we use for speaker wire, not wiring a house. I've been using those cords for over 20 years with no problems.. I don't think you understand.

Glen B
10-23-2009, 12:36 PM

cheers,
tal

What exactly is he voiding ? He's using the cords as speaker wire, and they're not in the walls, they're out in the open. Not what I would use but I don't see a problem.

Pio1980
10-23-2009, 12:37 PM
The issue is the use of the AC line-standard plug-ends leading to an unintended accidental mistake and house fire, not the wiring itself.

vibrato
11-13-2009, 11:54 PM
Main speakers: 1985 12AWG flat Monster Cable with $4/pair Radio Shack pin connectors on both ends (Fisher RS-1022/Spica TC-50s)

Interconnects: Radio Shack Gold Series on clearance for $1/piece

My low-power (30W max) Akai bedroom speakers are connected with re-purposed 16AWG lamp wire and sound very nice (esp. with Tori Amos tickling the ivories right now)

1octave
11-14-2009, 12:34 AM
Cables from DH Labs is what i use..

ClassikAudio
11-14-2009, 03:24 AM
Speaker- Dh labs t14 shotgun pair (silver coated ) - improved bass
Interconnect - Kimber hero with wbt ( audible improvement )
Power- Signal cable magic and digital powercables ( cant hear any improvement )

there ya go! I try to keep it made in USA

David
11-14-2009, 07:15 PM
Nanotec Golden Strada No.79 nano3 Limited, (3m single wire)speaker
AU24e balanced XLR & single ended RCA interconnects,(various lenghts).
Bybee Wire Nano Reference AC cords (3 x 2m lenghts).

AngelRa
11-14-2009, 07:26 PM
"Cable up" for RCA interconnects (sold for studio/pro use)
Basically anything for balanced XLR
White monster cable for speakers.
Factory power cables but added ferrites to sensitive equipment.

For me the most important aspect is noise insulation and corrosion resistance. My test for interconnect is simple, use it with a TT (for RCA) or a mic (for XLR) and "if noise comes, cable goes".

wifihifi
11-18-2009, 09:24 AM
I prefer cables from DH Labs. They are one of the best.

countryslim
11-18-2009, 07:10 PM
The issue is the use of the AC line-standard plug-ends leading to an unintended accidental mistake and house fire, not the wiring itself.

Exactly!.. I have a label printer for my own reference, and NO One Jacks with my set up! My Children are grown and I'm Happily Single.. No one to re-arrange my things. .:banana:

I don't see a house fire problem..all it would do is blow the crossovers or send the cone to elsewhere. 120 volts would have an adverse effect to a speaker I suppose, and its not advisable for those who have little control over their possessions.

Those cords come in many colors.. male end runs to the Speakers, female out the System, At any rate, only an idiot plugs cords in before tracing it down.. no offense intended.

The AC cords have Polarized plug-ins, good stranded wire and are easy to adapt. I use new cords and after 20+ years, no mistakes, no fires..

If I were a Rich person, and not a 56 y/o redneck country hippie... all my servants would be briefed on my usual "unusuanalities". :thmbsp:

mcdan
11-22-2009, 10:00 AM
I'm using Nordost for mids and highs for the speakers. Straightwire for the bass frequencies. Nordost for main signal transfer form dac or analog to x-over. Tara to the hf amps. Some crazy Monster with Cannare connectors for mid and the same for bass. Have some DH labs I use for aux components. Overall sounds great.

Wolf_Br
12-03-2009, 12:57 PM
I'm using ECOSSE Biwire CS 4.4 for the Speakers (www.ecossecables.co.uk) with Eichmann banana plugs and AKRON Hyperflat SSE (www.akronaudiotec.com.br/cabosinterconexeng.htm) with Eichmann bullet plugs as all my interconnects.
Both were excellent cables, sounds great and improved my system.
I still have DH Labs speaker cables and they are very good too.

TerryO
12-03-2009, 03:14 PM
I've tried all kinds of diy cables over the years, from "thin, cryo'd wire", Cat5 variations, big romex solid core, you name it.

What I use now is "Utilitech" 16 awg extention cords from Lowe's home centers. I have a pair that are nude (stripped off outer cover) with bare wire termination and another pair with diycable's gold spade connectors crimped and soldered at each end. BTW: I use 2 wires to the positive (red) and a single negative (black). Yes, this is a variation of the "White Lightening Cable" that many have used.

For ICs, I've done many variations and styles and finally settled on the inexpensive, and widely available AR brand that is carried by Fred Meyer's and I assume, others as well. The AR's are pretty decent with good quality RCA plugs and sound as good as any I've used in my system.

Best Regards,
TerryO

visiman
12-03-2009, 03:22 PM
I have used, Triax cable with the shield as the ground. Not bad. If it is good enough for the military it's good enough for me.

Live_Wire
12-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Running 16guage stranded wire on my speakers, just generic wire.

Many different interconnects really, some 3 foot, some 6. None are high priced.

Sounding fine.

jn229
12-03-2009, 04:34 PM
A mixture of Nordost Blue Heaven and Red Dawn interconnects. Kimber 8TC speaker wire.

AndreiR
12-04-2009, 06:21 PM
I use Cat5e, tinned with silver solder at the ends, no bananas -- just made 'em today, to replace Magnet Wire from RadShack (22 AWG for +, and 26 AWG for -), that I made yesterday to replace those that I made out of extension cord (walmart white, 16 AWG x 3C).
I think the Magnet Wire cut off some lows, and also combination of length (17') and the diameter worried me.
I should listen to the new Cat5s longer, but the first impression is not bad.

chadnliz
12-05-2009, 07:14 PM
My dad just gave me 1 of his pairs of AudioQuest "Mont Blanc" 10ft cables with the 72v DBS packs, had them in a few days and like them so far but nothing jaw dropping to report. These are on my panels and going with Tekline cables for my woofers.

sam-fi
12-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Kimber Kables interconnects and speaker wire because at the time I was told they were the best bang for the buck (if there is such a thing in hi-fi cables... haha) and I didn't want to take a lot of time shopping around for cables.

MJHughes
12-08-2009, 11:14 PM
TT-Phono amp is DIY low capacitance cable
Phono Preamp-AVR is AudioQuest Diamondback
CD-AVR is AudioQuest Diamondback
AVR-Monoblocks is Blue Jeans BJC1
Monoblocks-Speakers is Nordost 2 Flat
AVR to centre and surround speakers is AudioQuest 16AWG stuff

Freedom
12-09-2009, 12:43 PM
Zu WAX, speaker cable Bi-wired

Zu Gede, interconects on everything

Zu BOK, AC power cords

I couldn't be more pleased!

Happy Listening :music:

Maxamillion
12-13-2009, 08:10 AM
I'm also a fan of Zu cables. I use Varial interconnects and Ibis speaker cables and love the clean, clear sound I get. The rest of the system consists of a Zero One Mercury CD/HD player, a Supratek Chenin tube preamp, Gilmore Raptor monoblock amps and Infinity RSIIb speakers.

crytklmass
12-14-2009, 07:01 PM
I currently have 3 1m pairs of Transparent Ultra MM2 and Wire World Equinox 6 - All XLR
Audio Quest Rockefeller Speaker Wire.
DH Labs Pro Audio AC Power Cords (DIY) Compared to my $280 Transparent and cannot hear a difference other than my pocketbook.
I am thinking of buying DH Labs Q-10 Signature Bi-Wire (DIY) and possible DH Labs Pro Studio XLR to switch everything to one company instead of mismatch.
Has anyone used DH Labs Pro Studio XLR cables with any opinions?
I will be buying the Q-10 to switch over from Audio Quest speaker wire. I've been impressed with DH Labs power cords and for the cost I cannot complain.

Bynem
12-19-2009, 07:59 PM
I have been using AQ for years, after I finally decided to stop using the dreaded Monster Cable.

I have AQ Type 2 and Type 4 speaker wire. I use Sidewinder and King Cobra interconnects on most of my components. I bought the BOTL Transparent interconnect a few years ago in Centreville, VA on Route 28.

The Brilliance Synergy interconnects were a happy accident. The lady who sold me an Arcam Alpha tuner threw in the antennas and the cables with it. The Synergy and the Transparents sound pretty good. :music:
I won't be buying more King Cobras at $225 per pair, though they are the best I have used.

south43
12-22-2009, 09:15 PM
I use Morrow Audio ic's and Zu Audio on the spkrs. Mike Morrow has something special going on with his products. I also use MAC (my audio cables) pwr cables on the pre and pwr amp. Nice constuction and attention to detail. Overall great bang for the buck items.

MagneMan
12-23-2009, 04:28 PM
:) happy to see this thread is still alive and ongoing. Lots of great input here!

I am still using the same old super conductive and nitrogen cooled copper wires, filled with Selenium diode crystals from Heptraneus Galaxy 9, aka Monster Cable.

Happy Holidays to all of you!!

TimF
01-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Bob, I use DH Labs in my current system, T-14/BL1. At one time I had a pair of ATC Active 20's and had used the Pro Studio XLR's from my preamp to the speakers. I think the DH Labs cables are just a good value overall and made well, but to be honest, I couldn't hear a difference from them to my own home-brew Beldin/Neutrik cables. The cables were about 25' in length.

My main thoughts with regards to cables is just keeping them the same brand/wire-type throughout the system. I find the whole cable thing for me too tedious to try and determine how or why one sounds different/better than another one-if it even does to begin with. I would rather just listen to the music! Enjoy, Tim

PacificStereo
01-08-2010, 06:57 PM
Infinity 2.5's, bi-amplified but conventionally crossed over.

Audioquest Quartz, Lapis interconnects.

Audioquest Cobalt Hyperlitz speaker wire.

To.... die.... for.

cornhulio
01-08-2010, 10:32 PM
I finally got around to trying some anti-cables and they did not disappoint me.

aabottom
01-21-2010, 05:02 PM
Current system:
Sharp DX-650 CD player =>

Monster M STANDARD THX i100 stereo RCA analog cables => Yamaha RX-797 receiver =>

Monster M SERIES bi-wire speaker cables => Klipsch RF-7 speakers (only 2 of these).
================================
================================

Here's my system to be:
Yamaha DVD-S2700 CS/SACD/DVD player =>
??? Stereo RCA analog cables??? => Yamaha RX-797 receiver =>

Monster M SERIES bi-wire speaker cables => Klipsch RF-7 speakers (only 2 of these).

I'm looking for new Stereo RCA analog cables for SACD playing to match the system to be.

Marty Marr
01-23-2010, 09:21 AM
At the moment, Monster Cable Z2 bi-wire, but I am looking to experiment with Wireworld Oasis 6 and/or DH Labs Q-10 Sig.

wajobu
01-23-2010, 09:30 AM
I use Zebra Cables for most of my ICs, Soundstring power cables (from Venus HiFi - BrianB) and I have one set of Gabriel Gold ICs between my Manley Mahis and Shrimp. For the Gabriels, I couldn't afford a new set and a friend offered me a used, broken-in pair since he was upgrading. I did a blind test and the difference between the Gabriels and my original cables was stunning.

gkimeng
02-06-2010, 06:07 PM
My speaker cables are 16ga lamp cord from the lighting dept at Home Depot. I prefer the clear insulation, two-color conductor type because my failing eyesight has trouble finding the polarity rib molded into solid color cable.

My interconnects are a mixed bag of old OEM cables that came with various pieces of equipment and recording snakes and jumpers of various lengths that I got in an oddlot box of stuff from a recording studio near me that closed up shop. A lot of the cables had been well-used, but some were still in their original bags from suppliers like Tascam, Mogami and Hosa. I don't think any of them qualify as bona fide "high end" interconnects, but I figure if they were good enough to record with they ought to be good enough to play back with.

Elfasto
02-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Still using the Monster Cable, RCA video grade and Acoustic Research cables that I bought el-cheapo from Princess Auto here in Edmonton.

Don't get me wrong: I like quality stuff like the rest of us here, but I firmly believe in paying as little as possible for quality stuff. LOL :D

cchean
02-06-2010, 07:42 PM
I am a big fan of Sonic Link cables (now Black Rhodium). I use a pair of AST 150 as speakers cables. I also have a pair of braided cables from IXOS and MIT MH-750.

For interconnects, I use Synergistic Research for tubes and Audioquest for solid state.

bluesky
05-30-2010, 10:07 PM
From Steve Hoffman:
Vintage Stereo, use Vintage Cables.

---

Took his advice and found a pair of 1980 Sansui Hi-Fi 23' long each speaker cables in Ireland via British eBay. Bought them. Royal Mail took 6 weeks to deliver them to Fla.

Wow.

I was really amazed at the improvement of sound coming out of my speakers cause I just didn't believe the cable hype 'at all'. Been looking for another pair now for over a 1.5-2 years...daily on 5 eBays. It's mission impossible to the max. I really super lucked out the first time on these.

Saw a pair of Vintage Pioneer speaker cables but it came with a bunch of other cables and I didn't need the other cables. I'm cabled out already.
Should of bought em all. All 1980s or so. Yeah, I should of bought them all. But that's ok.

Vintage Stereo, use Vintage Cable. It's got some kind of magic. Or maybe the cables were designed for 1970-1980 analog rigs.

All I know is: I was and still am amazed. I'm guarding these cables like gold. In fact, when I die I want to be buried with em for the stereo in the hear after!! LOL :>)

Yeah...I want to be buried with my Sansui Speaker Cables, for sure!!

eclein
07-04-2010, 08:46 AM
I have just upgraded my gear and was able to take part in a beta-test for a new cable manufacturer. Apparently they just started out and were looking for folks to try the cables and give feedback. They let us keep all the cables they have given and continue to give us...pretty cool being in on a new products development.
They (WyWires) supplied me with 2, 1M interconnects-RCA-RCA, and later on supplied me with 2, 8ft. speaker cables that I asked to be left unterminated-just tinned ends.
They instantly made my system sound better, and each cable just added to the clarity and detail presented in the music. I and all the other guys who tried these cables were struck by how acoustic instruments-cymbals especially- stand out as so realistic and natural sounding. I was a drummer for most of my life and I know how cymbals and drums sound-these cables brought all those qualities with great detail
and no listener fatigue.
So I'm currently using:
WyWires- "Hot Sauce" Line IN
WyWires- "Honey" Line IN
WyWires- Speaker Cables
They will stay in my system until they are dethroned which will most probably be never. Its hard to explain unless you hear them...and I know they have a 60 day return policy if you don't like them which everybody so far does. I was a complete cable skeptic until these cables arrived, I don't know what they are doing that is so special but it works for me!!
Ed

gearhound
07-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Being a life-long cheapskate (like Father, like Son), I've gravitated to two cable companies:

Blue Jean Cable.....LS-1 interconnects ($35), Belden 10awg speaker wire (80 cents/foot).
Heartland Cable.....Canare cable & plugs interconnects ($30), Canare 4S11 cable & Vampire banana speaker wire ($70).

Both outstanding companies, with good reputations.
Heartland Cables is a much smaller company than BJC.
Quality wise, it's extremely close!
I'd probably have to give the nod though to Heartland, although their interconnects and speaker cable are stiffer than the ones from BJC.

Steve

danj
07-04-2010, 01:16 PM
The music system has basic 10-gauge Monster Cable purchased sometime in the '80s & gold plated banana plugs. Aside from being a bit dusty these cables look as good as they did when purchased more than 20 years ago.

The AV system has the smaller 14-gauge Monster Cable. I had tried some of the cheap "speaker wire" sold at Home Depot but the ends oxidized and the insulation turned from clear into a weird yellow within two years. The Monster Cable is still okay after more than a decade.

invalidbuffa
07-25-2010, 07:34 PM
Interconnects: combination of custom cables made by local audio lab and Blue Jeans cables.

Speaker wire: 12ga 2 conductor landscape wire from Home Depot.

I'm actually a little surprised so many people use monster cable...

Elfasto
07-25-2010, 07:48 PM
I
I'm actually a little surprised so many people use monster cable...

Well, I get mine really REALLY cheap. :):smoke:

moomoo
08-07-2010, 06:51 AM
In my main system I use Kimber PR4 cables but I haven't had the money or patience to swap them for anything else.

In my bedroom and office I took some Carol Froghide extension cords and used them. The results are excellent. These are super flexible 12 gauge 3 conductor cables. I only use two of the conductors. Only problem is the bright green. Eventually I'll get some black cable sleeve.

SoCal Sam
08-07-2010, 11:41 AM
12 or 14 ga speaker wire. Plenty of copper is the key. I solder the ends.

I use better than average generic interconnects. Not enough voltage in the signal to justify the boutique stuff.

JohnVF
08-07-2010, 11:52 AM
I use Audioquest interconnects, balanced and unbalanced depending on the source, as well as a phase inverted Audioquest balanced cable from preamp to amp due to different pin standards of those two units. My speaker cables are audioquest as well, but not really as nice as my interconnects as I couldn't afford what they wanted. Only the phase inverted cable was bought new (I ordered it from them though could have made one myself I suppose), the rest were used or on closeout from our Tweeter store that went out of business. My power cords are all giant aftermarket things that came with my (used) gear, I have no idea what brands they are but somebody paid a chunk of change for them. Anyway, the whole system is dead-silent. I have a $1000 balanced cable on loan right now as part of a home demo of a CD player...I really hope there's no noticeable drop in performance when I take the cable back (I'm keeping the player). Even if there is, I'll find a cheaper alternative as I need a new Cartridge more than a new balanced cable.

ehoove
08-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Tri-Amped Magnepan MGIIIa's with NHT W2 Passive Subs

NHT W2 - Spelz Anti cable 12Ga OFC Solid core
MGIIIa -
Bass Panels - 12Ga. Sound King Fine Strand OFC
Midrange Panels - 12ga. Belden 5000eu Med Strand OFC
Ribbon Tweeters - 22ga. X3 Solid Silver Mil Spec (Braided)

Interconnects
Source - Audiomagic Excaliber II
Pre -Xover - Power amps - DIY 22ga. Silver plated Mil spec OFC
Regards,
Jim

ke4mcl
08-07-2010, 10:11 PM
stranded copper zipcord

JimJ[VT]
08-08-2010, 12:49 AM
Speaker wire - Canare 4S11
Line level - RG6 homebrews

Bynem
08-09-2010, 11:16 AM
I bought a pair of B&W DM310s and a Luxman R-1050 in May. The guy threw in 30 feet of almost new Vampire speaker cable. According to Google, this blue and orange wire went for more than four bucks per foot when the company was still manufacturing it.

Sounds as good as any speaker cable I have. Anyone else have this company's cable?

JonL
08-09-2010, 12:03 PM
Speakers: Zip cord, fairly heavy gauge.
Interconnects: I've been making my own out of the component video cables my cable TV company provides and some nice Neutrik gold plated RCA jacks I bought from Mouser. The component video cable capacitance measured lower than any of the other cables I had lying around, and the cable TV company is fairly generous about supplying these cables free. I got a couple of sets when I got my service, and I've had to exchange my cable box twice in the last three years. Each time I exchange it I ask if they can give me another set of cables, this last time the guy gave me two sets. I'm set for a long time with the stuff!

Quadrocker
08-09-2010, 06:44 PM
I use Tara Labs Prism Klara speaker cables on my "Computer Room" system Sansui QRX-6500 / Sansui QRX-6001 / Marantz 4400 (..in rotation) and decade old Radio Shack "Mega Cable" cheapie speaker cable on the Living Room system...currently a Luxman 1050. The Mega Cable in particular seems to love vintage components and it's stopped me dead with how good it can sound.

Interconnects, used to be QED Qnect 1, but they were bounced for cheap Chinese "ilink" interconnects I found at a local thrift store which cost $5 a pair as opposed to the ridiculous $160 a pair the (entry level..!!) Qnect 1 cost here in Oz. The "ilink" seems to be a bit clearer and much more involving than the Qnect 1 but slightly brighter at the top end.

I tried a dozen very very expensive audiophile brands years ago with fancy names..(Crystal Reference Master..etc...or names like that.....can't remember exactly...) and was unimpressed...you'd always seem to get detail, but somehow lose involvement.

I'm quite happy with the modest cable stuff I've got now...:)

dim_span
08-24-2010, 02:11 AM
firstly, my main system:

Pioneer SA-9800 amp
Marantz CD63 MKII K1 signature cdp
B&W DM2 transmission line speakers

I have experimented with several different speaker cables and have found that the best results achieved for my system/listening room/and personal taste is the old Hitachi SSX 102K LC-OFC speaker cable

(I bought a huge box of various used speaker cable off ebay ... these were from a guy who refurbishes old pubs/nightclubs and these are what he removed during building renovations)

the best interconnect that I have ever used, is a new acquisition and is called Silver High Breed Quintessence) ... these are handbuilt by a guy in London (65 for a 1m length)

I posted some info on these on this site:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=317475

kunk22
08-30-2010, 02:11 AM
12/2 romex makes great speaker wire

20-28 ga mil spec hookup wire is good for low level signals (high purity cu with a silver wash and teflon insulation)

where i come from quantum cable is used for almost everything...kunk

LordOfTRings
08-30-2010, 07:32 PM
I'm a Kimber Kable type of guy myself, and for speaker wires and for interconnects. :tresbon:

Scytales
09-05-2010, 09:54 AM
Blue Jeans Cable BJC-1 for RCA interconnects, Belden 1800F for RCA to XLR and XLR to XLR interconnects, and Cabasse loudspeaker cable for my... Cabasse loudspeakers. LS cables are very short, thanks to the monobloc amps being placed right near the loudspeakers.

ambrandt420
02-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Well... used to use like 10-strand per polarity generic wires for the speakers, then after my bookshelf JBL speakers were stolen, I used the wire I was using for them for our 22-year old Technics system (the one partially pictured here... http://a4.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/107/0a6a769aac89a497fc4ab9df1e847c9f/l.jpg)... the wires dad picked out when they picked out the JBLs for me was single-strand per pole, kinda smaller gauge (guessing 16-20 gauge). The difference was night and day... nearly tripled the bass output and overall volume that the Technics cranked out.

The way I look at it... the old multi-strand wires probably has less capacitance per wire, but lost a lot of the power due to not every wire contacting the amp's speaker jacks or the speaker's jacks (a few get the the full power, but that full power gets spread to all the wires)... and the single-strands do, and carry the full power from amp to speaker, though they probably have higher capacitance.
I'd have to say I like the way the single-strand sounds much better, though it's also a little riskier (in my opinion) to the speakers... I can red-line the amp (according to the meter on the front of the amp) with the volume dial at about 3 with the right music.
Maybe someplace out there, there is like the ideal median between high-capacitance single-strand and low-capacitance, high loss multi-strand... maybe a liquid wire (mercury in a wire jacket) or doubling up on the single-strand (just another length of the same wire twisted together at the ends)... maybe less capacitance and like lower output to speaker (end up taking more on the volume dial to red-line the amp). If it's not out there, maybe somebody could release a line of wires like that.

aidand
02-20-2011, 04:34 PM
Linn k 400,bi-wire speaker cable,waterhose appearance,great signal delivery though.Tandy gold patch interconnects-cheaper than few bannanas-more joy for my ears than some clearaudio wires.

Henners
02-22-2011, 02:47 AM
my bedroom set up I use Audioquest G-Snake interconnects and Audioquest X2 speakerwire.

Jon_Logan
02-22-2011, 06:29 AM
Interconnects (digital, analog, analog video) Belden 1505A
Connections to powered speakers: Canare star quad
HDMI: probably Belkin

aidynphoenix
02-22-2011, 07:00 AM
useing 18ga wire stranded copper from vacuum cleaners
i tinned the ends of the wires with 2% silver solder from radioshack.

for interconnects i make my own.
i prefer solid core wire

bombadil111
02-22-2011, 08:46 AM
Digital coax, interconnects, and speaker wire: Blue Jeans Cable

USB: Wireworld Ultraviolet