View Full Version : Phase Tech PC 40,60 and 80

Fast_Eddie
12-07-2007, 09:46 PM
Some Phase Technology mini monitors.

Fast_Eddie
12-07-2007, 09:51 PM
The PC 80s were my garbage find I talk about in another post. Then my buddy Stan (AK member ClemualB) found the 60s and 40s on a local site for cheap money. The 60s need foam and are the same tricky woofers the 80s have. The 40s seem to be just fine and may be the star of the show. They're about the size of a Minimus 7, but they're much better speakers.

Ok, not the highest end speakers posted on AK and not really worth a lot in resale or anything, but I think they'll make a very intresting home theater set up and I thought you guys might just be interested in seeing some of these little known speakers.

Take care,

Ed

Brent71
12-07-2007, 09:52 PM
I've never owned any but a dealer in Cedar Rapids, Iowa used to carry them and I always liked the sound of them. If I wouldn't have found my old Carver Amazing's I was considering Phase Tech or Paradigm Export monitors.

Fast_Eddie
12-07-2007, 10:36 PM
After a busy and stressful week, it's very nice to kick back with a glass of wine and enjoy these three sets of speakers! Very intresting differences here. The 60s use what looks like the same 6.5" woofer as the 80s, but they don't sound remotely similar. The 80s play deep. I mean really deep. They're one of those speakers that defy your logic when you listen to them and then look. That CAN'T be coming from those. But it is.

The 60s by contrast sound dead. Though they do seem less colored, they just don't play deep bass. If used with a sub, the 60s may be a better choice though. The 80s do make some compromises to get the extra frequency range. The 60s are a sealed cabinet, about the size you'd expect from a 6.5" woofer two way. The 80s are actually a good bit bigger and have a rear exiting port.

I believe all three use the same one inch or so dome tweeter. They all are imaging champs. I'll have to do some more listening, but I do think the 80s have a bit of an edge in this area as well. They have foam surrounding the tweeter where the others do not. Unfortunately, in my garbage find speakers, this foam is in tough shape. I'm going to try replacing it with some of that automotive headliner material, which I suspect will work just fine. I may experiment with adding that to the 60s, but the tweeter has a wire mesh grille over it in that aplication that will make it difficult to duplicate the 80's set up.

Take care,

Ed

Fast_Eddie
12-07-2007, 10:48 PM
Wow, this is cool.

The Minimus 7 measures about 5x4x8. The PC 40 is a little bigger at about 6.5x5x10. Still, looking at the two of them together, they look very similar and I can imagine there are only a few instances where you could use a Minimus 7 that the extra size of a PC 40 would prevent their use.

The little bit of extra size pays of enormously in the sound, however. There is some useable bass here. In fact, the PC 40 doesn't really give up a whole lot to the much larger PC 60. Again, the one inch or so dome tweeter is the same and outstanding in the imaging department.

The bass isn't going to shake the room. This isn't a party speaker with bass you can feel. But where the Minimus sounds like a small speaker that's doing a good job, the PC 40 doesn't sound like a small speaker at all. These are very nearly comperable to a pair of Boston Acoustics A40s, a much larger speaker. I have a pair of the Bostons waiting for me to finish foam. When they're done that will be a good shoot out.

Suffice to say, the Phase Tech PC 40 should be on your e bay watch list. These are just great small utility speakers. I'll use them for surrounds in the home theater set up, but I could listen to these all day long with no complaints.

Take care,

Ed

Fast_Eddie
12-07-2007, 11:53 PM
Ok, last set up for tonight. I kept swapping back and forth in my main listening room and kept thinking that the PC 60s with a sub might be the hot ticket. So I took them out to the living room system. Marantz 2230 and a Velodyne sub.

Hey! This is sweeeeeet! The 60s are very neutral, and without the bass extension the 80s have they're a bit booring. But if you get the bass from a sub, you have one of those set ups thats booring in just the right way. It's super natural and neutral.

This set up is where my Polk SDA CRS live, so the bar here is pretty high. I dunno, the Phase Techs image so dog gone well! Now, that's sitting on top of a pair of SDAs. So that's saying something!

I need to listen to this a while longer, but I'm really liking what I'm hearing.

Take care,

Ed

Punker X
12-08-2007, 02:11 AM
Someone who has as many Phase Tech's as me.. My home theater is all Phase Tech, PC60 rear with the matching PC50 passive sub. PC3's main, PC33Center, and Octive 12 subwoofer. Also have a pair of PC600HO's laying around as a backup.

You should be on the look out for a PC50 sub, it was specifically made to match the PC60's, I used these as my main system for years with a Luxman LV105 and sounded great. They also made a sub to match the PC80's, forget what it was called, PC70 or 30...

I've tried to refoam several times, and was batting about .500 on getting them right, after that I just decided to send the woofers into Phase Tech for rebuild. If they have the basket in stock they will send you a new pair and you send you old one's in. If they don't have them you, have to send in your old drivers and get back new ones, new magnets, cones surrounds, piston insert and get rid of that flaking foam on the piston with new.

dc270
12-18-2007, 08:43 AM
I really like the older PT flat piston models, I think they were model 800 and 1000's. Really nice sound and model back then!
DC

Punker X
12-19-2007, 03:30 AM
The two ways are PC600's, the 800's were three way's, if memory serves

dc270
12-19-2007, 09:38 AM
The two ways were probably PC 600's, the 4 driver model boxes said they were PC 1000's- I do remember them sounding very open and detailed, their flat driver, time phased scheme worked for me!
DC

SPL db
12-19-2007, 09:58 AM
I've had a little pair of Phase Tech speakers for quite some time now as part of my computer setup. :yes:

Mine are black in color with wood texture, I'll have to look tonight for the model number.

I've never felt the urge to try something different, so I guess that must mean that I like them! :D :thmbsp:

Scott

Bhu108
06-09-2009, 01:42 AM
Hi saw your post about Phase Tech Speakers. i just got a pair of 60's for cheap. and the little woofer are shedding that black foam from the woofer "piston". i was thinking about fixing them to be some Nearfield monitors. what have you help the sound of these?