View Full Version : realistic sta-2100d

thirstymate
01-23-2008, 10:04 PM
I've read on here that realistic has (off the top of my head) spring connections, for audio output. and were a problem spot.
I might be able to get this receiver for very cheap <20, with the power up-no-sound option, and was wondering, is this worth getting involved with. I have recently got back into the listening end of audio, I was into music production and bands for a long time and forgot ( mainly because of college) what its like to listen to a really good song on a really good system. I have pianos, organs, guitars, or keyboards at alot of different houses. Half need repairs, but once they are fixed they will be gorgeous to play. So if I dont take this will I regret it, Like I said I know little besides what I've learned by reading the information within this site... and I've read alot.
theres a realistic sta-2080 for the same both the the power up but no sound problem

and a pioneer sa 7500II for forty. which would be nice for something I'm sure.... heh, It begins again.......................

spaceman
01-23-2008, 10:33 PM
I just double-checked, using the search function, & unfortunately the D version does NOT have the nice torroidal transformer, like the earlier 2100. But it's still probably worth a $20 gamble, a decent 120wpc receiver. You might get lucky, & just need a new fuse, or a good cleaning.

SoCal Sam
01-23-2008, 10:33 PM
The STA-2100D is worth much more than the $20, broken or not. If it powers up and the relay engages, chances are it is something very easy like missing interconnects or maybe dirty controls. The others are good deals and you should be able to flip them for decent coin.

thirstymate
01-23-2008, 10:40 PM
I plan on keeping them and using them. Far more fun in that.
Just wanted to make sure I wasn't buying something not worth the money it would cost to fix it. Or the money spent was not worth the quality.

thirstymate
01-23-2008, 10:42 PM
appologies spaceman, In terms of forums, I'm new and tend to miss things.

-search tab not only pretty but useful too- got it.

oldgringo
01-23-2008, 10:44 PM
Check this site:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RealisticAudio/

'Owner' Ed Hanlon's "Favorite all time Realistic Receiver is the 2080"!

I have the STA 2300 which is the same as the 2100D (120 WPC), except for LED meters instead of analogue.

Also check ebay history, then get both if they can be got to work - they could be worth some money!

Good Luck,

og.

spaceman
01-23-2008, 10:53 PM
appologies spaceman, In terms of forums, I'm new and tend to miss things.

-search tab not only pretty but useful too- got it.

Ha, there was no sarcasm intended, lol. It took me several reminders, before I started using it, & I still forget half the time. :D

Axcel
01-23-2008, 10:56 PM
For 20 get it I just sold my 2100 and kept my 2200 ( my fave) Much cleaner sounding ( if that makes sense) Found the 2100 too muddy But really love em both Don't be fooled by the RS name

thirstymate
01-23-2008, 10:56 PM
hah its cool man I'm found to be quite sarcastic in humor. Mistakes are only mistakes when you don't learn from them.

jocko_nc
01-23-2008, 10:57 PM
That's a good receiver from back when Realistic made decent stuff.

oldgringo
01-23-2008, 11:14 PM
'OWZ these apples:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=114808

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=80360

og

jami w.
01-28-2008, 08:57 PM
I've read on here that realistic has (off the top of my head) spring connections, for audio output. and were a problem spot.
I might be able to get this receiver for very cheap <20, with the power up-no-sound option, and was wondering, is this worth getting involved with. I have recently got back into the listening end of audio, I was into music production and bands for a long time and forgot ( mainly because of college) what its like to listen to a really good song on a really good system. I have pianos, organs, guitars, or keyboards at alot of different houses. Half need repairs, but once they are fixed they will be gorgeous to play. So if I dont take this will I regret it, Like I said I know little besides what I've learned by reading the information within this site... and I've read alot.
theres a realistic sta-2080 for the same both the the power up but no sound problem

and a pioneer sa 7500II for forty. which would be nice for something I'm sure.... heh, It begins again.......................

i hope ya enjoy the geah :thmbsp: it was good to spend some time with another ak'er! an to meet another i had a good time, thanks

Gibsonian
01-28-2008, 10:28 PM
The preamp on the 2100 causes the mudiness. Use the amp alone (use a different pre into the 2100) and you have an extremely nice, non muddy sounding amp. Mine is currently doing the high notes on a triamp setup.

Smorgy
01-28-2008, 10:36 PM
Grab it at that price. You would be amazed at the number of people who don't realize you have to connect the pre-amp Out to the main In for the unit to work! That would be the first thing that I would look at.