akivota
01-29-2008, 01:02 PM
Hey there. I'm new on the forum,
and I trust you guys are pretty knowledgeable
on the subject of audio.. :-D

I saw that someone was selling a 3-way Technics SB-2845
online and expressed interest, knowing how much
I enjoyed listening through Technics speakers growing up
(my dad had turntables and loads of Technics stuff..)

To anyone who has listened or owned the Technics SB-2845..

1) How was the sound quality like? Good for its price?
2) How much did it sell originally? How much did you buy it used?
3) Would it be good for a small dorm room? more than enough
to power say, an Ipod, CD player and Turntable (i have one of those
crosley jukebox things that plays vinyl, cd and tape)

Any help is appreciated. I think the guy was selling it between 40 to 60..

Thank you!

akivota
01-30-2008, 05:01 PM
bump :music:

soundtrip
04-03-2009, 11:21 PM
late response, I know but.. I owned one those speakers years ago and I regret selling them. They were one of my favorite speakers. It's true, Technics made some crappy audio equipment as well as some great sounding/quality gear, but the same came be said of Marantz and Sansui. I have owned every Sansui receiver/amplifier from the single digit series to the crappy pieces of the 80's and 90's. The SB 2845 in terms of SOUND Quality is very good. The cabinet may be poor, but the sound coming out of the cabinets is what matters most in my opinion. Price? I would gladly buy them back for 60 bucks.the problem is finding one in good condition. Like I said, because of the cabinet construction and size (over 36 inches tall if I recall correctly, these speakers tend to get banged up if one moves around). The speakers are more than enough for a dorm room. They can provide sound for the entire dorm! I a/b/c these speakers with my original bose 901 and my Klipsch Heresy, and the Technics provided deeper and tighter BASS than the Klipsch and better mid and highs than the 901s. As far as Crosley, please get a quality receiver or amplifier. Technics SA 500 - 1000 are very good, as well as the silver faced SA line that came immediately after the SA 1000. I am not familiar with Crosley stuff.

budgetaudio6
04-03-2009, 11:40 PM
welcome soundtrip, too bad about the op....looks like youd be a natural for the sansui forum. and introductions are in order, over at the introductions forum....

bryantee
07-15-2010, 10:17 PM
Just got my SB-2845s and I really like them so far. The looks are just the right amount of class and grunge. Love the wood with my grain Pioneer PL-155E and QX-949. As far as sound I'd say they're perfect for my needs - given my entry level audio system the bass has plenty of kick, but as said before, is quite tight. The highs are crisp. It seems that the mids might be lacking a bit, but who knows, the mid speakers could be damaged in my cabinets. When I want to really listen to music with a keen ear I put on my Grado headphones, but when I want to rock out with some decent sounding speakers, the Technics perform finely. Got them for $100 on Craiglist, by the way. Very satisfied.