View Full Version : Jvc Jr-s300

circlesky73
01-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Does anyone have an opinion of the JVC JR-S300 receiver? How good is the phono stage? I have a Kenwood KR-820 but it has no mono button and I have quite a few mono LPs.

I tried the JVC at the store it's at with a good turntable and LP and it sounded great to me, even with the bookshelf speakers it's connected to.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

yosl
01-31-2008, 05:03 PM
I can't speak specifically to the JR-S300 but a search on this site will give you at least some feedback on both the JR-Sx00 and JR-Sx01 receiver lines. I have a S201 and a S401, both have fine phono stages to my ear but then my TTs are bog stock standard $200 - $300 units from the era.

As you've probably gathered by now, both receiver lines don't seem to illicit much excitement among the faithful despite favorable comments regarding their build quality and big sound. Admittedly their looks are somewhat unusual.

Sansui Louie
01-31-2008, 07:42 PM
I personally love the way they look, and have since they came out. I've been jonesing for a big 600 for a long time. I like the X00 series better than the X01, the blue backlighting looks really great.

It must be a love or hate sort of thing.

reggaenaut
01-31-2008, 07:57 PM
I have a Jr-s400. It is a very good receiver. The phono section is comparable to those in the better receivers. Unbeatable especially at low levels. The equaliser is a plus.

ron-c
01-31-2008, 08:54 PM
JRS300 is a very good receiver. Go for it especially if it is clean.

Thanks,
Ron-C

Brian
01-31-2008, 09:09 PM
I have a 301 running 60 watts. I've got other receivers with the same advertised specs and the JVC is far more subjectively powerful though when metered it is not. A very good receiver if you need bass punch and power. It lacks the refinement of my Sony and Philips units. Closer to say a Pioneer but without the fatigue. The phono preamp is very well mated to the receiver and sonically at about the same level. Overall not quite my cup of tea compared to other receivers but I do really enjoy listening to it from time to time; enough that I had it gone through while others sit.

Build other than the lettering on the front panel is very good. JVC only seemed to skimp in areas such as the front panel and the lettering that wears.

I'm not a big power amp receiver lover but if I ran across the 120 watt model local, it probably would be bought.

If this all sounds mixed, it is. It, like my Heresys I like enough to not consider selling but for various reasons it does not make the A list. Now, for the reasons that keep it form the A list will more than likely put it on most A lists of others. My recommendation, if local, give it a good try and if working, pick it up.

ozmoid
01-31-2008, 09:30 PM
I had an S301, very nice receiver. I would pick it up, if the price is right! :music:

circlesky73
01-31-2008, 11:52 PM
The JVC is priced at $129, but I will get a discount if/when I trade the Kenwood receiver in for it. This thing is *heavy*! I'm not interested in it for the looks, though it's a lot more appealing than the Kenwood receiver- it's kinda blah. Could be the digital tuner.

The JVC is appealing to me cuz of all the inputs it has (I can bring the cassette deck out of the closet now!) and it has a mono button for all my Monkees monos. :yes:

ozmoid
02-01-2008, 08:47 AM
The JVC is priced at $129...That's a bit more than I like to pay for vintage stuff... but current eBay sales put the average around $2 per output watt. :scratch2:

If I can get away with $1 per output watt on lesser-known gear, I'm a lot happier. :music: On well-known heavy hitters (like the bigger Pioneer SX series), expect to pay "whatever the market will bear". For this little guy, I'd try to negotiate down a bit, even with the trade-in.

Brian
02-01-2008, 08:54 AM
Seems hig to me but what do I know. I was not looking for one and found the 30-1 for $35 in near mint condition. Cost to go through it, replace bulbs, changed a few caps and checked alignment was about $70. If the store has a repair department and they can show a shop ticket that it has been gone through and what work was done and/or can provide a spec printout and there is a warranty on the unit then may be a decent deal, especially where there is no shipping and you have a chance to try it.

circlesky73
02-01-2008, 06:12 PM
It's literally a mom & pop place- they are the only ones who operate it. They have a third guy who does repairs.

He's given me a few deals this past year- literally. I'd gone up to the counter with one or two LPs a few times and he'd say "meh, it's yours, take it". I owe the karma. :yes:

Brian
02-01-2008, 07:15 PM
See if you can talk to the repair guy and see what was done to it or should be done. A few times, I've been in your situation and did not mind paying a bit more than I possibly could. A relationship sometimes is worth more than saving a few dollars.

ozmoid
02-01-2008, 09:32 PM
A relationship sometimes is worth more than saving a few dollars.
Wise words.

If the receiver has been serviced competently (and you like the sound) the asking price is not unreasonable.

(And just ignore the "I found mine for $2!" guys. Not everything gets to be a thrift find. :rolleyes: )

circlesky73
02-01-2008, 09:55 PM
If this guy's store closed where would I get my free Yoko Ono 12" singles? (Seriously- got a copy of "No No No" plus 3 bonus tracks with all unique mixes for free- sounds killer too.)

I just have to make room for the thing now. It's HUGE. :scratch2:

reggaenaut
02-01-2008, 10:17 PM
See if you can talk to the repair guy and see what was done to it or should be done. A few times, I've been in your situation and did not mind paying a bit more than I possibly could. A relationship sometimes is worth more than saving a few dollars.

Excellent advice.