View Full Version : Woofer replacements for SM 152's

just4me
02-22-2008, 12:01 PM
Anybody know where to find replacements for the 15"?
Who's a good alternative?
Or does anyone know where to get a pair of 152/155's?

VintInfinity
02-22-2008, 01:50 PM
You can get new woofers from Infinity, but they are $258 each. It would be cheaper to but a used pair of SM152s than get new woofers.

http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/partlist.asp?BrandId=INF&MarketId=HOM&Parts=IF990152B

You could also watch ebay and a replacement might pop up eventually.

Can they be repaired? Or are they missing completely?

Gibsonian
02-22-2008, 06:53 PM
I would think a pro audio 15 incher of the same or nearly the same efficiency would be fine- more than likely a nice improvement over the original. You just need to match the cabinet size to the woofer you select. What are the approximate internal dimensions of your speaker?

V'ger
02-23-2008, 04:21 PM
Anybody know where to find replacements for the 15"?
Who's a good alternative?
Or does anyone know where to get a pair of 152/155's?

The Infinity Tech sheet for the SM-152 shows the 15 inch woofer shipped with 902-4305 originally and 902-6707 is the curernt replacement.

I did a quick search and didn't get any internet hits on used parts. Refoam kits are available if the originals are in good condition otherwise. Other than that, you would have to buy a second set of speakers with the same woofer.

just4me
02-24-2008, 10:32 AM
hopefully i can find some 152's or 155's then...

VintInfinity
02-24-2008, 10:42 AM
What is wrong with the woofers you have? or are they missing?

just4me
02-25-2008, 12:13 AM
too many low frequencies got to the voice coils.. got hot.. and well...

VintInfinity
02-25-2008, 02:38 AM
too many low frequencies got to the voice coils.. got hot.. and well...

You can look into getting the woofers re-coned. Find a local shop and see what they charge, it could be less than replacements.

just4me
02-26-2008, 12:49 PM
what is the resistance of the woofer suppose to be.. im measuring about 2.9Ohms for the woofer. Is that normal?

BrocLuno
02-26-2008, 03:02 PM
Could be? Lots of Infinity woofers are 4 ohm and measure low numbers on DC resistance. If you try to drive just the woofer with a low power signal from your receiver - does it make music, or is it dead? If it makes music, maybe it can be saved/refurbed?

Infinity won't give out the specs on their drivers, woofers included. But should be able to get close. Measure the inside dimensions of your cabinet. Go to the Parts Express woofer selection guide/wizard thingy and input all the data you can get from measuring and such. Input 4 ohm and see how close you come? Does the Infinity DE website show the schematic for the 152 crossover? If so, with the help of another AK'er, you might be able to decipher the crossover frequencies and add that to the PE Woofer selection data. All up, that should get you real close :)

just4me
02-27-2008, 12:47 AM
surrounds are fine, but there not outputting like they used to. Also, when music playing at low volume and you have your ear to it, you can hear a metallic type noise.

Pulled woofer to verify. Something in coil is shot. i think it overheated somewhere down the line. i can move woofer cone manually and hear the noise.

Now i hope to find a replacement cause i love them 15's

V'ger
02-27-2008, 06:32 AM
surrounds are fine, but there not outputting like they used to. Also, when music playing at low volume and you have your ear to it, you can hear a metallic type noise.

Pulled woofer to verify. Something in coil is shot. i think it overheated somewhere down the line. i can move woofer cone manually and hear the noise.

Now i hope to find a replacement cause i love them 15's

Only a few explainations for mechanical noises; generally all are bad. Doesn't sound like voice coil rub if the surrounds are OK. Voice coil alignment is set by the surrounds and the spider. I suppose you could have a tear in the spider that pulls the coil out of alignment, but voice coil rub is pretty distinctive (if you've ever refoamed a speaker, you'll learn the sound real quick).

If the lower suspension gets soft, you can hear one or two noises. If the spider is stretched/overheated, then as the cone bottoms out, it can make a metal-like scratching noise. If things have really let go, the voice coil can actually bottom out on the magnet back plate and you will hear a clack. if the latter happens, the voice coil usually mushrooms and makes all kinds of rubbing noises including the inability to move freely.

If you pull the driver out of the cabinet and look at the spider from the back side through the frame, you can generally tell how bad the lower suspension is by looking for moderate droop in the spider (the top of the spider is flat in a new speaker, and will develop a small droop in the center as it is broke in). When you press on the center of the cone, the center of the spider (where the voice coil is glued) should pop back up to a nice centered position when the force on the cone is released. If the spider hangs low or doesn't move up freely, then there is a problem.

If the problem is in the lower suspension, then generally it will need to be reconed, or at least the voice coil and spider replaced.

I have had four 10 inch woofers with IMG cones repaired with spiders and voice coils replaced, and the price was about the price of non-exact generic replacements. I chose to have them repaired to try to maintain the sound as close to original as possible. Especially since replacement IMG cones aren't readily available. Fortunately, the IMG cones are durable and can be easily reworked.

just4me
02-27-2008, 11:32 AM
see next thread

just4me
02-27-2008, 11:37 AM
the noise it makes.. every time a bass note plays, a light metallic "tink" occurs like a wire would sound bouncing against the metal basket. When i pulled the woofer, i let music play and held woofer to my ear as close to suspension/coil area. Everytime woofer received a note/tone to play, you can hear the metallic "tink" like something is loose or broke in there.

Thats the best i can describe it. Where can i get them fixed if they can be saved?

Thanks for al your help. These forums have been great

VintInfinity
02-27-2008, 10:14 PM
go to http://local.google.com

click find businesses, enter speaker repair and your location... something should pop up. Or try the yellowpages.