View Full Version : Cleaning car cassette deck pinch rollers and heads

OscarEmmy
02-25-2008, 07:54 PM
Wow and flutter has steadily increased in my Honda's tape deck - I can't reach the heads or rollers with a Q-tip - have tried cleaning cassettes, but suspect there's a lot of accumulated crud to get rid of...apart from disassembling the deck, is there any way to clean the rollers with the deck in situ?

OscarEmmy
02-25-2008, 09:27 PM
What...nobody has ever done this?

retrokeeper
02-25-2008, 09:36 PM
You can use an Allsop product,which was considered one of the best cleaner cassettes,but otherwise you'll need to take the cover off and see if you can get to the mechanism and clean it.It will probably need new belts/and or other drive parts.You'd better know what your doing,those car cassette decks have crammed innards and a service manual is a must. Rob

pioneernut
02-25-2008, 09:45 PM
Retrokeeper is right about that Allsop product, not sure if they still sell it but I remember it looked like a cassette and inside it, it had felt pads at each capstan, pinch roller and had a mechanism driven by the take up spools to wipe the head off in a back and forth motion. You put the cleaning fluid (ispropyl alchohal)on each cotton pad, then insert it in the tape deck for about 10 to 20 seconds As for taking one apart, to replace the belts, its not for the faint of heart. I used to fix late 80's Alpine and Pioneer head units and unless you've got some experience working on them, I wouldn't suggest attempting to do it yourself.

OscarEmmy
02-26-2008, 10:15 AM
I have the Allsop. Used to be able to get extra long cotton buds, which give more direct control over cleaning - I used to disassemble older car cassettes to service them, but these new 'manufacturer' combined CD/radio and tape decks which are tall units are a PITA - the tape deck is mounted way down under the CD drive, so it's a huge hassle to take them apart. Thanks for your suggestions, anyway. Rob (oscaremmy)

BrocLuno
02-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Yup - BIG PIA, but tunes in the car are a must :)