View Full Version : Marantz SR9000G Receiver


kajguy03
03-01-2004, 03:13 PM
Hi. I just joined. Some of you may know me as "chrisart33" on E-Bay where I do DecoMoom Vintage Audio Auctions.

I recently purchased a Marantz SR9000G Receiver on E-Bay. Since it looks like an SR8000, which is rated at 70 wRMS/ch, I was amazed when my Tech, Tom Ishimoto, former Chief Engineer for Marantz, bench tested it at 150 wRMS/ch into 8 ohms at less than 0.01% THD. Since this was a "Phillips" unit, he found this power output "amazing".

I'd like to learn more about this receiver and find an owner's manual. Does anyone here have one?

Chris

P.S. I will post a pic if you'd like to see it.

bully
03-01-2004, 03:22 PM
That model isn't listed in my 97 Orion blue book. You've made me curious as to what its' rated output might be.
I'm always up to see a picture-- and we like 'nude' shots, too!

kajguy03
03-01-2004, 03:51 PM
Here are some photos so you have an idea of what it is.

Chris :D

Good Vibrations
03-01-2004, 06:33 PM
150 watts with an inboard heatsink and no fan?A lot of heat buildup inside that case!Sounds and looks flakey to me!!But,I could be wrong!!

ProAc_Fan
03-01-2004, 06:46 PM
IIRC our very own AK'er yrly has one of these receivers.

Mike

kajguy03
03-02-2004, 10:02 AM
Good Vibrations -- I agree that the interior layout does not suggest a 150 watt unit. That's why Tom was so "amazed". From what have learned, this is a unit that was sold to American troops stationed in Germany. In searching the Internet, I was also to find a German forum where it was mentioned and someone from Germany had posted some pictures of it with a different case.

"In the flesh", it looks really nice and I've decided to keep it, since it's such a rarity and I love collecting rare receivers from the Vintage Era. Thanks for your comments!

Chris

yrly
03-03-2004, 12:54 AM
Yes, I do in fact have the SR9000G. Unfortunately it has suffered some problems due to a faulty power switch that it had since I bought it, apparently had too much time on because there is no good way to shut it off and a resistor on the amp board burned up. The outputs did not go when this happened so I should be able to salvage it when I get some spare time, though I hate to do it before I replace the power switch. I have enough other big receivers floating around to last me a while. This thing has some hefty outputs and that tranny is bigger than it looks in the picture. It does not gain much recognition but it is a good unit, otherwise I would have ditched it when it developed its problems, rather I set it in the project section of stuff that will eventually rise to see the light of day. That is AFTER I get those darn Masco tube amps running! The one must have an agenda out on me because I restored the other first, I have had nothing but stupid problems with it. If it was not for that mess I probably would have had things up and running a while back.

kajguy03
03-03-2004, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by yrly
Yes, I do in fact have the SR9000G. Unfortunately it has suffered some problems due to a faulty power switch that it had since I bought it, apparently had too much time on because there is no good way to shut it off and a resistor on the amp board burned up. The outputs did not go when this happened so I should be able to salvage it when I get some spare time, though I hate to do it before I replace the power switch. I have enough other big receivers floating around to last me a while. This thing has some hefty outputs and that tranny is bigger than it looks in the picture. It does not gain much recognition but it is a good unit, otherwise I would have ditched it when it developed its problems, rather I set it in the project section of stuff that will eventually rise to see the light of day. That is AFTER I get those darn Masco tube amps running! The one must have an agenda out on me because I restored the other first, I have had nothing but stupid problems with it. If it was not for that mess I probably would have had things up and running a while back.

yrly -- When I got mine the power switch was bad, too. What a coincidence! I took it to my friend, Tom Ishimoto, former Chief Engineer for Marantz and he had a new switch for it just sitting around! Now it works perfectly....and, I must say, with that DC Amplifier.....it sounds much better than I expected! Now, I looking for some decent speakers to pair it with.....maybe some older JBLs. Good luck with yours!

I still want to see a pic your MSC Monster Receiver. I have no idea what it looks like.

Chris

yrly
03-03-2004, 01:32 AM
MCS 3125 and Marantz SD6000 in the gallery (http://www.audiokarma.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1026&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1)

Chris, try this link, it should be the picture of my MCS 3125 over in the gallery with the Marantz SD6000 cassette deck. If you click on the one button when you bring it up you can view all the pictures of stuff I posted over in the gallery, including my Project One Mark 1500, Sansui 990DB, Fisher RS-1060 etc.

kajguy03
03-03-2004, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by yrly
MCS 3125 and Marantz SD6000 in the gallery (http://www.audiokarma.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1026&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1)

Chris, try this link, it should be the picture of my MCS 3125 over in the gallery with the Marantz SD6000 cassette deck. If you click on the one button when you bring it up you can view all the pictures of stuff I posted over in the gallery, including my Project One Mark 1500, Sansui 990DB, Fisher RS-1060 etc.

yrly -- Got the pic of the MCS 3125! WAY COOL!! I want one! I'll bet it looks amazing with the power on! OK....it's from JC Penney. So what? IT ROCKS! A real underdog if there ever was one.

Chris

yrly
03-03-2004, 01:47 AM
Be prepared to pay for it! Last one went for $250 on ebay. One went as high as $435. The low end seems about $150. Its 55lbs too so it is not cheap to ship. Not a receiver to be underestimated, most who own it agree. Got a "triple darlington, triple differential, pure complimentary single ended push pull OCL" amplifier arranged in DC design according to the manual. It packs a lot of power too. And to think I seriously am beginning to believe the Fisher RS-1060 is even more powerful than this?

kajguy03
03-05-2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by yrly
Be prepared to pay for it! Last one went for $250 on ebay. One went as high as $435. The low end seems about $150. Its 55lbs too so it is not cheap to ship. Not a receiver to be underestimated, most who own it agree. Got a "triple darlington, triple differential, pure complimentary single ended push pull OCL" amplifier arranged in DC design according to the manual. It packs a lot of power too. And to think I seriously am beginning to believe the Fisher RS-1060 is even more powerful than this?

Yrly -- I've put the 3125 in my favorite e-Bay searches and hope to latch on to one soon. Those caps look a bit on the puny side...but I love the UNIQUENESS!!! I wish I could share your enthusiasm for the 1970's Fishers. My Tech, Tom Ishimoto, former Chief Engineer for Marantz, told me they were made by Sanyo and so I sold my RS-2010 a few weeks ago. I hated to part with it.....but the thought of a Sanyo product in my collection (although I know they make OEM ICs for the other manufacturers ) really bothered me. And, what Sanyo did to the Fisher brand by putting it on the cheapest gear imaginable, was deplorable. I'm still hoping a "Studio Standard" toilet seat will show up on e-Bay to prove my point.

yrly
03-06-2004, 04:34 PM
The caps look puny in the MCS 3125 partly because it is so tall, secondly because it uses two per channel rather than a single big one. Gotta remember its only a 125wpc unit even though its as big as some of the even higher powered ones. I don't care for Fisher/Sanyo products myself for the most part, however once you step up to the big ones like the RS-1060 (all 57lbs of it!), RS-2015 etc. You actually begin to see surprising build quality. Don't knock it until you try it. Sanyo or not those biggies are built to last.