View Full Version : How many ex-military here ?

Johnny
03-01-2004, 08:02 PM
gonzos reply in "the dumbest thing ya ever did" thread, got me wondering.

How many ex or active military guys have we got here ? I pretty much grew up in the military. My father got out as a SMG, he was in for 24 years. I joined in 88, went to boot camp in Ft Knox. My first duty station in Bamberg Germany, then went to Saudi for some fun in the sun. I ended up back in Germany this time in Vilseck.

I was a 19-K BTW, high speed low drag bad assed tanker :D Put my share of big bullets down range but had a hard time finding a job with which to apply these special skills when I got out .....who knew :dunno: I'll tell ya tho- was a hell of a lot of fun. Nothing boring about hauling ass down range in a 65 ton killing machine zapping targets at 3000 meters plus.

Nothing quite like that out here in civilian land.

Any others ??

Johnhttp://www.leyden.com/gulfwar/graphics/m1.gif

Fisherdude
03-01-2004, 08:35 PM
Regular Army, 71-74. ASA. (Army Security Agency)

Russian interpreter/translator & voice intercept operator.

Spent some time in Germany, last year at NSA headquarters outside DC.

Lots of fun!

Clay

tommyd111
03-01-2004, 08:38 PM
I spent 1 year 11 months 30 days and 23 hours in the USMC. 13 of those months were spent in VietNam. I shot artillery. Not much use for that in the civvie world.:uzi:

Retro Stereo
03-01-2004, 08:45 PM
Army National Guard count? If so, 6 years from 1975 to 1981.

Basic was at "Fort Lost In The Woods" Missouri
AIT was at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, Maryland

I almost went RA back in late 1976, but found a decent job just in time!!! :D

Retro

gonzo
03-01-2004, 09:09 PM
Gonzo here I was 11 Bravo Airborne spent 8 years attached to Lama in C.A. went to Reforger 4 timesin Germany and Bright Star in Saudi.I have jumped out of more planes than I have ever landed in.That was in the mid 70's,I am having my left hip replaced over spring break.Talk about dumb,testosterone can be an evil master.
peace

dewickt
03-01-2004, 09:12 PM
Did I see an ASA man, I spent 4 years in Army Security Agency, was an intercept systems repairman, part of the time was as a shop forman for my shift (Okinowa). Here I am 32 years later still fixing radios, but now it is a hobby.

tommyd111
03-01-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by gonzo
I am having my left hip replaced over spring break.Talk about dumb,testosterone can be an evil master.
peace

Yup I have gotten diabetes Type 11 and Non Hodgkins Lymphoma from exposure to Agent Orange; 37 and 1/2 years later!! I had to take an early retirement in Aug 03. Now VA is on the verge of paying me some compensation

Fisherdude
03-01-2004, 09:28 PM
Hey Terry!

I was thinking there might be another one here!

04B/98G/98C2LRU.

I assume you know that ASA was completely disbanded several years ago, and Ft. Devens is closed.

Here's one of several links I found relating to ASA:

http://home.att.net/~giffk/asalink.htm

I spent time at FS Augsburg, in addition to the last few months at NSA.

Good times!

Clay

Ski
03-01-2004, 10:00 PM
'88-'91 - 39T Tactical Army Combat Computer Systems Repairer. Sounds fancy for a board swapper.

dewickt
03-01-2004, 10:17 PM
Clay,
Am a member of several on line ASA groups, knew about Devens, spent a total of 2.5 years there, bought my 35 Ford from Woods Fuel Oil, and used trucks just outside of Ayer in 1969.
Still have an R390 From the com-center.
Older prother also was ASA, he went to NSA till he retired a few years ago,
Have to watch out for the guys on the forums, never know what or who will turn up, have met some real characters on these groups.
Tommyd111, have herd of a lot of guys who got the agent orenge after effects, hope the VA comes up with the compensation.

tommyd111
03-01-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by dewickt
Clay,

Tommyd111, have herd of a lot of guys who got the agent orenge after effects, hope the VA comes up with the compensation.
Oh yeh I went throgh DAV. I been checked by their DR's and Wednesday I go for PTSD Screening by their shrink. Im almost to payday

rstsgsas
03-01-2004, 11:20 PM
Served on two destroyers from 1983-94,spent time in the med during Iranian conflict.I was a Bt 1 (barely trainable)I was in same group of the Uss Stark that was hit by the criuse missle.Nearly blew her in half.Then spent 3 yrs in the army engineers reserves ,El-salvador.Panama,Kuwait,Its been a ride.

braillediver
03-01-2004, 11:39 PM
USN SSBN Navigational Aides Tech.

Inertial Navigation and stuff for Ballistic Missile Subs. We fed fire control location data for the ballistic missile launches.

We could put one in your living room from 6000 miles away while submerged. Gives a whole new meaning to urban renewal.

Mitch

VinylHanger
03-02-2004, 01:31 AM
Joined the Army in '86. Did my five jumps and had dreams of an 82nd Airborne career. Got shipped to Germany and spent the next 2 years in the Mechanized infantry driving an already obsolete M-901 ITV. We were basically speedbumps for the Russians till the real American Army could get there. We spent lots of time looking for enemies who weren't there and hiding from the enemies who weren't looking for us. Love that peacetime West Germany Army duty, lots of Beer, Women and Schnitzel. Then a few years back at Ft. Benning on Kelly Hill then out in Harmony Church in a training unit, played lots of cards and trained the troops who were re-upped for the Gulf War. Dealt with a lot of early 90's military politics crap, watched the Gulf War on the couch with a beer in my hand and then got out during the RIF. Not very exciting...... but did I mention the Beer, Women and Schnitzel?

Hey, don't let anybody tell you it is easy to stay a Spec-4 for 5 years, I had to work at it;)

Markw
03-02-2004, 02:40 AM
Microwave Radio Relay, 1st Mobile Comm out of Clark AFB.

Punker X
03-02-2004, 08:11 AM
US Navy 84-93

ET1 (Electronics Tech)

3 years sea service, Frigate and Mine Sweeper
4 years Commander Under Sea Surveillance US Atlantic Fleet

Worked on all types of gear, Air and Surface Radar, HF Comms, UHF Comms, IFF, Tacan, Satcomms, bunch of different computer systems and test equipment calibration.

Was also in the battle group when the USS Stark got hit and lost a couple friends I went to "A" school with.

Was also with the battle group with the Iowa's 16" gun blew up.

Picked up pieces of Challenger off Florida.

Watched Desert Storm on CNN in the Nato Tactical Computer Center.

Out with RIF in 93.

X

Variable
03-02-2004, 10:51 AM
US Navy 91-95

Hospital Corpsman 3rd Class, Field medical service

Stationed with the Marines as a part of MSSG 22 in Camp Lejeune, NC.

rgrjit8
03-02-2004, 11:26 AM
Marines. Late 70s.
Ground Radio Repairman.
Now, I retain enough electronic knowledge to correctly load a flashlight.

The only action I saw was the bargirls on Okinawa.
Banana shows are cool if you have enough testosterone in your body. I think they would disgust me now, especially since there's always one guy in the crowd willing to eat the damn thing.

HBombToo
03-02-2004, 01:50 PM
US ARMY 84-88

Basic at Ft. Jackson
AIT at Ft Gordan which was then 26V changed to 29V

South Korea 36th signal bat stationed on a remote commo site looking out over the Sea of Japan. A year in heaven I tell ya:D 19 and single which made it even better. Received a secondary MOS of 32delta while I wasn't chasen the honeys in the ville.

Ft. Huachuca in AZ for the last two years working for the USACEI(communications electronics intsallation) bat.

broke ranks, ETS'd and went to Penn State and never looked back.

HBomb

bully
03-02-2004, 04:21 PM
Almost blind as a bat. Got drafted. The dozen or so of us from my hometown got bombed out of our skulls the night before the phsyical exams and other stuff. Eye test was the first thing, I flunked, and then had a helluva fun time cutting up the rest of the time I was there.
Told this one big kid, 'bout 6-5 & 270, "just don't stand up straight!" So he got up, slumped all over, guy reads off "6-1!" and he was out for being overweight! That kid was from NY, going to college and playing football at my home town's university.
'Bout half the group had to stay a few extra days 'cause their blood pressure and pulse rates were all razzled from the grain alcohol they'd had the night before, and they passed everything else.
Y'know, they even had a "group W" room ... ;)

tommyd111
03-02-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by rgrjit8
Marines. Late 70s.
Ground Radio Repairman.
Now, I retain enough electronic knowledge to correctly load a flashlight.

The only action I saw was the bargirls on Okinawa.
Banana shows are cool if you have enough testosterone in your body. I think they would disgust me now, especially since there's always one guy in the crowd willing to eat the damn thing.
Who else but a jarhead would eat the banana?
Semper Fi LOL

Texas42
03-02-2004, 06:56 PM
U.S. Army MP 78-81

U.S. Air Force - 1982-2001 (Retired)

Last 10 years I was a First Sergeant. Also was a Security Policeman and OSI Special Agent.

Was a great ride!

Lefty
03-02-2004, 07:26 PM
U.S. Air Force 1966-70

Teletype / Crypto maintenance

Montana missle base 2 years

Hawaii communications base 2 years

Great experiance, recommended.....

Lefty

jerrymrc
03-02-2004, 10:52 PM
U.S. Army, 80-92 35U now known as 91A. Ft lost in the woods. S.H.A.P.E. Belgium. Ft Benning. Ft Riley. Fitzsimmions AMC. Honduras, Guatamala, Bolivia. D.S.

Was ready to Re-Inlist in 92 when they said they would pay me $40,000 not to??? Still working for them as a DOD Employee!

Would not trade it for anything. I miss the deployments..:mad: Im sick I know....

P.S. Going Camping @ 8100' this weekend. Should be about 15 @ night up at the range. Going to shoot the FAL.

CDFixer
03-02-2004, 10:59 PM
USAF 1965-1986, Computer and Radar maintenance. Now work for as a Consulting Engineer for an Electonics firm. Bought my first system in Thule Greenland, a Sansui 8080DB, I should have bought the 9090DB. I still have the 8080DB and it works great.

Thatch_Ear
03-03-2004, 12:37 AM
Did not serve. Born on McCord AFB, Washington in 1956. Had my appendix removed in an emergency apendectomy Sheppard AFB, Tx while I was a college student summer 1977. First smoked pot Albrook AFB, Panama in 1970.
My old man joined the AF out of High School as a private (yes the AF had not yet discovered airmen) in 1948. Met my mother at USO dance Tinker AFB, Okla. Married Biloxi Miss 1951. Went to the party in Korea in 52, OCS Lackland? San Antonio in 54, my sister was born Ft Laramie, Wyoming 54, DEW Line in Newfoundland 56 wore Micky Mouse boots and learned how to drink. Colo Springs, maybe the Hole, Acadamy where I went to kindergarten, Norman Oklahoma (OU) because you can not be an officer and a gentleman unless you have a college education. Lowry, then AFTAC (still won't tell me what he did) tucked behing Belvoir, I got to go to Quantico after a great bicycle wreck. Big fun at I think Bethesda Hosp where I was innoculated for every thing from yellow fever to plaige, Panama. Dad went to the land of the little PX while I fought goat ropers in West Texas. Last tour of Duty for Robert was Hanscom and I graduated from High School in Chelmsford, Mass.
I really do not know how many houses I lived in and we never got to go to Germany, but growing up a brat was an education in itself. I have been across the country on the ground many times with a good number of them before towns and cities were bipassed by the highways.
Father from Indianapolis, mother from a West Texas farm. I saw the fires in Wash DC after ML King was shot, rode antique busses all over Panama City and could go from the Pacific to the Atlantic in an hour by train for $1. Surfed down hills during monsoon rains, saw sea turtles come out of the sand, climbed mountains in VT, NH and Colo. Trout fishing high in the Rockies age 4. Learned about real poverty and then about real predudice. I went to public schools except for the AF Acadamy and Panama. Tropical rain forests to high desert. Tornadoes, hail, dust storms (thats just Texas) rain like Niagra to waist deep snow in New England, sledding down roads in Colo. Caught my first snake in a sub of Denver. Caught eels in Virginia creeks and saw a green river downstream from a paper mill in Mass. Earthquake in Panama. Driving through the Cumberland gap before the highways went through Knoxville. How flat is central Illinois? Drove a tractor age 12, stole the car age 15+ 3 days. Saw in the White Mts that bears do shit in the woods. Favorite high school hang out was a grave yard started in the 1650s.
I will say that I was shocked when I first learned about that NCOs and COs didn't mix and that sometimes their kids didn't. With my dad being a Mustang that kind of crap didn't fly in our house.
All you guys have my admiration and there are times when I do wish that I had done a tour or two. Joining the military was not a real popular thing in liberal bedroom communities in Mass in the mid 70s and only one of my running buddies did. (Semper Fi Billy!)
I did some ROTC in college but that was because they actually encouraged me to jump down cliffs with a rope, taught orientering and I got college credit for camping in the Wichita Mts outside Ft Sill, Okla.
Every male on both sides of my family in my parents generation served with 3 being lifers, 2 of those pilots. No snake eaters though I did part of the AF Tropical Survival course when I was a scout in Panama.
Only losses in battle were a great uncle in WWI (Argon) and I think the only other infantryman in battle was my father's great grandfather during the Civil War, who I am named after.
The men and women in uniform truly serve the country and there would not be a USA without them.
Thank you!

Eilati
03-03-2004, 12:49 AM
Hello all,
USN '64-70, Machinist Mate, two years Viet Nam, I Corp Marine Base, DaNang, then 3 years on an FBM, SSBN640, Gold Crew.
Israel Defence Forces, Air Force.72-75, Anti-Aircraft, Golan Hgts
'73 Yom Kippur War, Reserve Duty, 78 & 82 Lebanon.

Eilati

spkrman57
03-03-2004, 07:04 AM
I was stationed in Guam, then came back in and served on the USS Blue Ridge LCC-19 which also was Commander 7th Fleet. I was just ships company. Communications was my forte, back when things were torn tape and manual relays.

God I miss the good old days!!!

Ron

PastorEric
03-03-2004, 10:16 AM
6 years Airforce

tommyd111
03-05-2004, 05:00 PM
This is a real fire mission circa March 1967 Hill 185 Viet Nam

QuadBob
03-07-2004, 01:45 PM
Great shot Tommyd111!:uzi:

Who were you attached to over there?

My Father did a tour '67-68 as a Navy Chief Hospital Corpsman
assigned to the Division Surgeon, 3d Marine Division mostly
at Dong Ha, and the quad cities area just south of the DMZ.

He used to mention that the biggest problem was that the V.C.
had mortars too! So, he got to spend a lot of time rebuilding
and reinforcing "medical"!!

QuadBob
03-07-2004, 01:49 PM
My Father was a career Navy Hospital Corpsman retiring in 1977 after 24 years as a Senior Chief Hospital Corpsman (E8). He was a true "Doc".....I grew up on mostly Marine Corps Bases (29 Palms, Camp Pendleton) where everyone in the neighborhood knew where "Doc" lived! They would knock on our door at 2am
to ask my Dad to suture them up rather than drive to the Emergency Room! (that's the way it was back then!!) We also lived mostly in the San Diego area and Taipei, Taiwan (where I was a High School student from '71-74)

I followed along at 17 with my own "twist" as I already had the mechanical/audio bug, I became a Navy Hospital Corpsman too......but pursued the Biomedical Engineering program to specialize in Medical Electronics calibration and repair.

Did three tours at Navy Hospital San Diego, Basic and Advanced Biomedical Engineering Program at Fitzimmons Army Medical Center, Denver, CO. Also did 3 years with the Marine Corps at Medical Logistics Company, 3d Supply Bn, 3d FSSG, Okinawa, Japan from 1981-84 as the "Far East Biomedical Engineer
for the Marine Corps" supporting what you might commonly call the "MASH" or Marine Corps field hospitals.

Spent the last third of my career in mostly administrative/ management positions including six years as the Command Senior Chief, 4th Medical Battalion, Fleet Marine Force, Pacific and four years as Senior Advisor, Director of Health Services, Navy Region Southwest both of which were in the San Diego area,
while at the same time doing "special projects" as a Biomedical Engineer supporting Humanitarian missions all over the world for the Navy.....Albania, Peru, Haiti and most of the countries in the Carribean, India, South Korea, Thailand, etc. for 3-6 week "assist visits" helping them deal with medical technology.

Retired in October 2000 after 26 years as a Senior Chief Hospital Corpsman (Biomedical Engineer), Fleet Marine Force, US Navy. I've pretty much specialized in Diagostic Radiology systems since I retired, but still do all types of medical electronics mostly on overseas humanitarian projects upgrading 3rd world medical technology.

And of course I do my "quadraphonic restorations" for the world market too!:D

tommyd111
03-07-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by QuadBob
Great shot Tommyd111!:uzi:

Who were you attached to over there?

My Father did a tour '67-68 as a Navy Chief Hospital Corpsman
assigned to the Division Surgeon, 3d Marine Division mostly
at Dong Ha, and the quad cities area just south of the DMZ.

He used to mention that the biggest problem was that the V.C.
had mortars too! So, he got to spend a lot of time rebuilding
and reinforcing "medical"!!

Hey Thanks Bob I shot that with my then new Asahi Pentax Spotmatic with a 50mm f/1.4. I wore that camera out. I was with Whiskey Battery 1st Battalion 11th Marine Regiment 1st Marine Division. At the time we were part of a reinforced Company. Company "F" 1st Marine Regiment there are more pictures at my buddy's website
http://hleemorris.tripod.com/contents.html

QuadBob
03-07-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by tommyd111
Hey Thanks Bob I shot that with my then new Asahi Pentax Spotmatic with a 50mm f/1.4. I wore that camera out. I was with Whiskey Battery 1st Battalion 11th Marine Regiment 1st Marine Division. At the time we were part of a reinforced Company. Company "F" 1st Marine Regiment there are more pictures at my buddy's website
http://hleemorris.tripod.com/contents.html

Took a look at the website.....familiar scenes! My Father spent quite a bit of time at Quang Tri also during that same time. I
think he was at Dong Ha the first part of his tour, then moved to
Quang Tri (or vice/versa).

I was busy fighting the war of 5th grade at Camp Pendleton
while he was over there!:dunno: :D

Besides being wounded (shrapnel) there, he also became a
"Ho Chi Minh" Chief Hospital Corpsman during his tour. He went
over as a First Class (E6) and was awarded a meritorious
"Field Promotion" to Chief (E7). It was always a running joke
between us.........as I claimed he had to be stupid enough to get
hit to make Chief...........while I made it the "legit" way by being
selected by the Board!

Of course he simply referred to me as a "twidget".....that couldn't
diagnose anything that wasn't bionic!:dunno:

I did finally get to impress him when I was selected for the
Command Master Chief position for 4th Medical BN (equivalent to
a Sgt Major) and then provided the Keynote address for a
Field Medical Service School graduation at Camp Pendleton
as we sent new "Docs" to the Fleet Marine Force. As you don't
make "CMC" by just being a good "twidget"!:D

Bigyank
03-07-2004, 04:22 PM
Navy Personnelman 80-84 (NAS Barbers Point, HI).

tommyd111
03-07-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by QuadBob
Took a look at the website.....familiar scenes! My Father spent quite a bit of time at Quang Tri also during that same time. I
think he was at Dong Ha the first part of his tour, then moved to
Quang Tri (or vice/versa).

I was busy fighting the war of 5th grade at Camp Pendleton
while he was over there!:dunno: :D

Besides being wounded (shrapnel) there, he also became a
"Ho Chi Minh" Chief Hospital Corpsman during his tour. He went
over as a First Class (E6) and was awarded a meritorious
"Field Promotion" to Chief (E7). It was always a running joke
between us.........as I claimed he had to be stupid enough to get
hit to make Chief...........while I made it the "legit" way by being
selected by the Board!

Of course he simply referred to me as a "twidget".....that couldn't
diagnose anything that wasn't bionic!:dunno:

I did finally get to impress him when I was selected for the
Command Master Chief position for 4th Medical BN (equivalent to
a Sgt Major) and then provided the Keynote address for a
Field Medical Service School graduation at Camp Pendleton
as we sent new "Docs" to the Fleet Marine Force. As you don't
make "CMC" by just being a good "twidget"!:D

I am told one of our Corpsman had the Navy cross. He was a bad little dude as I recall. One of our guys got the Congressional Medal of Honor, (Posthumous) during Operation Union which was kicked off from the hill where I snapped that photo. Unfortunately for me, I am now fighting Non Hodgkins Lymphoma which I contracted from exposure to Agent Orange. I also have diabetes type 11 and PTSD. It took 37 1/2 years to hit me. I had to take a medical retirement and am on the verge of getting some money from VA.

Bob R
03-07-2004, 05:12 PM
Air Force 69-73.

They pulled the Wing out of Nam, and I joined it in Japan.

Great Experience.

JBL/NHT Fan
03-20-2005, 07:37 PM
USAF 73-77
PAANG 77-82
Got stuck in northern Maine for 3 1/2 yrs. Winter back home never bothered me again.

Ground Radio Repair, we had a couple R-390's, best AM receiver I've ever heard. Open the bandwidth filter to 16KHZ on a decently strong station and use a decent speaker and you'll be amazed at the fidelity.

jwrags
03-20-2005, 08:46 PM
USN Jan.71- Jan.75 Machinest Mate 3rd on a pair of Gearing class tincans. U.S.S. Joseph P Kennedy, Jr. DD-850 out of Newport R.I. She's on display now in Fall River, Mass. Also on the U.S.S. Robert H. McCard out of Tampa, Fla.

2DualsNotEnough
03-20-2005, 08:57 PM
Spent time in England,Italy,Germany,Denver,San Antonio,and the ever popular desert storm,and finished up in Phoenix.I dont miss the B.S.,but I miss the people,the travel,and the great audio gear at overseas BX's.
Jimmy

Mike Gibson
03-20-2005, 09:06 PM
I was in the Navy from 1962-66 and was EN 2 and the Oil King on the USS Sperry AS-12 for my last two years. Then joined the Nasty Guard in 1984 and became a 19-E tank commander. Went through RCTCC at scenic Gowen Field near Boise. Did that until they went to anti-armour and I couldn't stand that. I finished out back in the Navy reserve and retired in 2000. I've seen a few changes since 1962 but enjoyed my time for the most part.

Army
03-20-2005, 09:17 PM
Damn I respect all of you guys, that have served our country :thmbsp:

My handle is Army ...

I was one signature away from going into the Army...

But one sweet little lady kept me from going...

Married her and 25 years later still going...

Three beautiful kids later ...

It's all good :scratch2:

I was the son of a WW II bomber pilot and ...

Anybody that serves our country is Aces with me :yes:

:thmbsp: :thmbsp: :thmbsp: :thmbsp: :thmbsp: :thmbsp:

Army

prisoners
03-20-2005, 09:17 PM
Hello all-World's Finest Navy, 90-94. I didn't see any desert storm time, the Navy's infinite wisdom decided I would be better at babysitting the weekend reservists in Chicagoland. Got out as an AT3 working in the cryptographic vault. I also miss a lot of the people, but mostly the pride and feel-good things of wearing the uniform. I never complained about going to mandatory retirement ceremonies-figuring the guy deserves a good send-off after all that time. Of couse the fringe benefits were great-free drinks and female attention on flights,discounted everything...good times!

kdlsoft
03-20-2005, 09:40 PM
Joined the Air Force, 1973, and saw the world!

2 years in Abilene Texas,

18 months in Zweibrucken Germany (got to find out what was going on in Austin as Zweibrucken was an RF-4 base and pilots would come TDY from Austin. Lakenheath AB, England also),

7 months in wonderful Wichita Falls, Texas.

Flew a typewriter..... :D

Sandy G
03-20-2005, 09:55 PM
Never went in. Wished I'd had now. Prolly wouldn't have let me in anyhow. Terrible eyesight, flat feet, Communist, liked boys. You know, just little things. Seriously, I have nothing but the utmost respect & awe for those of you who DID & DO serve-if it wasn't for you we wouldn't have our nice fat, soft civilian lives.-Sandy G.

Bill Brown
03-20-2005, 10:11 PM
U.S. Army, 1954-1956. MOS - Small Unit Commander. Timing was exquisite, sandwiched between Korea and Viet Nam. Four months at Benning (Follow Me!), then the battle of Fort Dix, NJ for the rest of the tour. Met some great people and learned a lot. Wouldn't trade the two years for anything. Looking back, kinda wish I'd gotten to Germany. Oh well.

Yamaha B-2
03-20-2005, 10:22 PM
Eight years, two months and five days in the nuclear Navy (67-75). But who was counting? :lmao:

We did some ops with the Scorpion about a week before she disappeared and then spent a couple days looking for her in the mid-Atlantic. Fast attacks are something. She sank the entire 3rd fleet battle group in that exercise. Surface ships don't stand a chance. Only time we ever found a fast attack during an exercise was when the rules of engagement required the sub to operate between 100 and 200 feet in depth and between 10 and 15 knots. Otherwise they would sink all the surface ships. Always. Makes the senior surface commanders mad (poor babies :naughty: ).

Built, tested and turned new nuc power ships over to the fleet. Got to sail around the world, Madi Gras in Rio, Med cruise, tour of Viet Nam. But, 2+ years of school and 4+ years in Newport News Shipyard. Could have been a whole lot worse. Probably would have stayed for 20 if I hadn't run into a CO that made it all not worthwhile. He did more to get me back in college than anyone else in my life. Decided to never again be in a position where I couldn't tell someone when to 'go f**k yourself'! :D But, now I'm married. :scratch2: Go figure.

styler
03-20-2005, 10:49 PM
US ARMY MED CORPS here, still involved, may go active next year....

bietcachdu
03-20-2005, 10:54 PM
Yup I have gotten diabetes Type 11 and Non Hodgkins Lymphoma from exposure to Agent Orange; 37 and 1/2 years later!! I had to take an early retirement in Aug 03. Now VA is on the verge of paying me some compensation
....................Sorry to acknowledge that you got exposured to orange agent...HOW.?. I myself has been working along vietnam/cambodia border for years as a recon team member. Luckily i still ok i.. guess ! as our ages...the years to come are god's bonus, so..be happy and keep on collect hi-fi gears as much as you could. :smoke:

Don C
03-21-2005, 01:53 PM
I was in the Navy from 77 to 83. For the first part of my Navy Career, I had the same job as Braillediver, Nav ET. (CNC tech) For the second part, I had the exact same job as PunkerX. It's a pretty big coincidence, not too many Sub Nav-ET's or Nav-aids-Comms guys out there, and here we have a couple of each. Some numbers from the past, Punker will know these. R-1051, URT-23,24, URN-3a, URN-20. SPS-10. I'm not mentioning any of the boomer stuff, but I will mention Dam Neck, (Damn Neck) and I think that Braillediver knows the place.

jimmymagick
03-21-2005, 03:42 PM
I guess I'm the only former Coastie here.

USCG 1969-73.

2DualsNotEnough
03-21-2005, 08:16 PM
Joined the Air Force, 1973, and saw the world!

2 years in Abilene Texas,

18 months in Zweibrucken Germany (got to find out what was going on in Austin as Zweibrucken was an RF-4 base and pilots would come TDY from Austin. Lakenheath AB, England also),

7 months in wonderful Wichita Falls, Texas.

Flew a typewriter..... :D
Hey Kdlsoft,
I sent a few months in Zweibrucken myself.Beautiful country,SMALL base!!!I was also stationed at Mildenhall for 4 years,just a few miles down the road from Lakenheath.If I could afford it,Id spend the summers in England.Wonderful place.
Jimmy

Toasted Almond
03-21-2005, 08:28 PM
August 1976 to present as a boom operator on KC-135 tankers. 8,100 flying hours, every minute of it in the tanker. Instructor boom operator since 1982, flight examiner boom operator since 1987. I have flown over 2,500 missions, and stuck a boom into a receptacle over 5,000 times. I'm starting to get fairly proficient at it. Retirement in about 2.7 years if I'm lucky, at age 55.

TVTeufel
03-25-2005, 01:08 AM
Regular Army, 71-74. ASA. (Army Security Agency)

Russian interpreter/translator & voice intercept operator.

Spent some time in Germany, last year at NSA headquarters outside DC.

Lots of fun!

Clay

Hmmmm....Remember when we'd be put in the slammer for making such a statement?

Thanks to the draft, & ASA's intervention, I did Monterey (Rooski) in '63/'64. Got shipped to Deutschland in '65. "Overheard" a few Russian tank commanders whilst stationed in Helmstedt, '66 to '67. Bailed out in '67, came home to Merryland: tried to find employment at NSA (No Such Agency), & got rejected. This fact allowed me to marry my favorite German Fraulein. Stayed that way for 30 years, 'til Helga died 4 years ago. Ah, the memories!

Them was the days!

Ron.

dingus
03-25-2005, 01:24 AM
grew up an Airforce brat. as a kid went to Japan, and some south pacific islands, Phillipines, Alaska, Hawaii. join the Airforce at 20, do a 4 year hitch, other than basic training and tech school, spent the entire time in Altus, OK.

Timothy Leary
03-25-2005, 04:54 AM
United States Navy, 24 years. Retired as an Aviation Machinist Mate Chief. My wife is also retired Navy, 20 years. She retired as an Aerographers Mate Chief. I won't bore you with all the details, but it sure is nice having 2 retirement checks coming in every month!

Fisherdude
03-25-2005, 02:35 PM
Hmmmm....Remember when we'd be put in the slammer for making such a statement?

Thanks to the draft, & ASA's intervention, I did Monterey (Rooski) in '63/'64. Got shipped to Deutschland in '65. "Overheard" a few Russian tank commanders whilst stationed in Helmstedt, '66 to '67. Bailed out in '67, came home to Merryland: tried to find employment at NSA (No Such Agency), & got rejected. This fact allowed me to marry my favorite German Fraulein. Stayed that way for 30 years, 'til Helga died 4 years ago. Ah, the memories!

Them was the days!

Ron.

Hey brother!!!

Monterey--'71. Lunch on Fisherman's Warf! Then Goodfellow AFB for final training. Six months at FS Augsburg before I ended up back at NSA.

You're right about lots of good memories!

I assume you know that ASA is no more. It was disbanded (along with NSG & AFSS) several years ago due to not having a mission that was clearly needed and clearly separate from NSA/DIA etc. And Ft. Devens is closed.

Talk about bringing back memories, try this:

http://5starpicks.com/asalives/

Clay

Btw, NSA offered me a permanent position. I could have gone home Friday afternoon in my Class A's, and come back Monday morning in a suit. Believe me, after 18 months in the lying and politics in a governmental agency, I'd had enough. Never looked back. I know EXACTLY why the whole Irag/WMD fiasco came down the way it did.

fropiler
03-25-2005, 02:42 PM
US Navy, Interior Communications 1982-1985. 2 west pacs aboard the USS Monticello (LSD-35) Stationed at pier 10, 32nd st Naval Station San diego, CA.

TVTeufel
03-25-2005, 08:55 PM
[QUOTE=Fisherdude]Hey brother!!!

Monterey--'71. Lunch on Fisherman's Warf! Then Goodfellow AFB for final training. Six months at FS Augsburg before I ended up back at NSA.

You're right about lots of good memories!

I
Clay

Hello, Clay

Yeah...lunch. We were pulling down around $105.00 a month as speedy fours back in '64, most gone in a poker game payday night. Couldn't afford the wharf. Most lunches were at Dee's, just outside the back gate. Pinball 'n burgers. I went back for visit in November of '03. Dees is now called Duffy's Tavern. The "campus" is in full lockdown since 911. Monterey has become quite a town. Beautiful aquarium.

I'll be checking out the ASA website. Thanks.

Ron.

Fisherdude
03-25-2005, 10:07 PM
... We were pulling down around $105.00 a month as speedy fours back in '64, most gone in a poker game payday night...

I'll be checking out the ASA website. Thanks.

Ron.

Believe it or not, it was only up to $135 in '71!

I was just back in the area three weeks ago. Monterey, Seaside, PG, even played golf at the Naval Postgraduate School grounds. The whole area is just gorgeous.

But very, very pricey!

Clay

elroymcgee
03-25-2005, 10:28 PM
US Airforce, if you could actually call that miltary. spent time in guam, lakenheath england, MT Hole Idahole, and Denver Co, That is where I got my miniscule start in HI-FI.

Wornears
03-25-2005, 11:37 PM
My dad put in his full 30 years USAF as a Fire Control & Avionics tech in TAC, and finished a chief MSGT. I figured he'd done enough time for both of us; what with his two tours in 'Nam and Thailand when I was under 10. He made The Great Santini seem like a creme puff.

Never any tours overseas for we dependents, but we got to live in towns near fighter bases like Newport News, VA ('58), Victorville, CA ('60--'65), Las Vegas, NV ('66), Wichita, KS ('67--'69), Clovis, NM ('70--'72) and Chandler, AZ ('72--he retired).

I got the gypsy gene from all that and earned an engineering tech scholarship in college as a contractor to the Defense Mapping Agency (with a GS-11 rank on paper, but college student pay -- started at $2.25/hour in 1973). This quasi-military job put me tracking "navigational" satellites in American Samoa; Anchorage, AK; Shemya, AK (near the end of the Aleutian Islands); Cambridge Bay, NWT, Canada (200 miles north of the Arctic Circle); and near Sao Paulo, Brasil.

I admire and respect anyone who has served, but would have been busted for insubordination within a week if I had enlisted in any service branch. The BS factor is just too high.

Toasted Almond
03-25-2005, 11:43 PM
HA! I made Technical Sergeant twice, and Master Sergeant twice! First time I made Tech was 1984, First time I made Master was 1989. 2nd time around for Tech was 1994, 2nd time for Master was 1996! It was definitely worth it.

When I first started as an Airman First Class, I took home $11 a day to refuel airplanes up in the air!

Fisherdude
03-26-2005, 12:41 AM
HA! I made Technical Sergeant twice, and Master Sergeant twice! First time I made Tech was 1984, First time I made Master was 1989. 2nd time around for Tech was 1994, 2nd time for Master was 1996! ...

And what, exactly, happened between 1989 and 1994?? :naughty: :banana: :scratch2:

Toasted Almond
03-26-2005, 08:49 AM
The Gulf War, my daughter Stephie was born, busted my ass and ended up with the nicest lawn on the block......... and some scumbag I had been banging heads with since 1979 got promoted to general.

Saratoga48
02-21-2007, 02:37 PM
US Navy 1966-1970
CTT2, Part of the US Navy Security Group, did the radio intecept thing, (can we say that now?)
67-68 Sidi Yahia Morocco..
68-70 San Miguel Philippines

Good web site for all you former CTs,
http://www.navycthistory.com/

Lefty
02-21-2007, 07:37 PM
66-70 USAF, AFSC 36350. Got out a E5. Great time but I was ready to move on into the real world.

Lefty

bigstereo
02-21-2007, 08:13 PM
http://audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1042726&postcount=4

Had a rude awakening when I got out. Needed a complete reprogramming after 8 years in the grunts. I enjoyed most of my time in the service and would do it again.

Analog_Ed
02-21-2007, 08:33 PM
88-92 Fuels Specialist
92 to Present - Ground Radio / Airfield Systems Maintenance
E-6 TSgt

Been a lot of places, seen a lot of things.
I probably have one more trip to the desert before I call it quits.

Ed

jeffe
02-21-2007, 08:50 PM
'78-'98 ICC(SS) Ret.
I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

'79-'81 USS Alexander Hamilton, SSBN 617 (G) New London, Ct

'81-'84 USS Fearless, MSO 442 Chas., SC

'84-'87 PMHRON II MLSG (Hydrofoil squadron) Key West, FL

'87-'91 SSC,NTC Great Lakes, IL. ET "A" school Company Commander

'91-'93 Key West again..... damn! "E" Div Officer

'93-'95 NCTAMS WESTPAC, Guam

'95-'98 Bureau of Naval Personnel, Millington, TN

Dad was US Army Air Corps 1941-1961, stayed Army after formation of the AF, older brother USA and USAF, Viet Nam Vet.

ZebraBlvd
02-21-2007, 09:14 PM
Basic - Ft. Knox

AIT - Ft. Polk

Duty Station - Kitzingen, Germany. A proud member of the "Can Do" 1st Battalion - 15th Infantry.

rickr15
02-21-2007, 09:15 PM
USMC 83-87 Semper Fi

Twenty20Man
02-21-2007, 09:26 PM
68-72 USN FN (SS) SSBN 657 (gold) USS Francis Scott Key. Loved the boats, "A" Div

Tapehead47
02-21-2007, 09:37 PM
U.S.Navy 1966 - 1972. NAS Alameda, VAW-13. NAS Miramar, VF-214. 2 Westpac cruises on the USS Kittyhawk. 2 Years at NAVCOMSTA Key West.

Hey, if it wasn't for the Navy, I'd still be listening to 8-tracks!

Rick

zr1gary
02-21-2007, 09:42 PM
Indiana Nationa Guard 1966-1971
Basic Fort Knox
AIT Fort Sill

Loved stereos then...just could not afford the good ones.

cubdog
02-21-2007, 10:27 PM
US Navy, 1971-1975. USS Whipple DE1062.

cubdog

pilotprose
03-26-2009, 09:09 PM
US Army 1965-1968. Signal Corps, Field Radio Repair (Ft. Gordon, GA) as well as Radio Relay and Carrier repair technician. Those were the teletype days! Moved to Ft. Mead, Maryland, senior NCO in charge of battallion radio maintenance. Been hooked on electronics ever since, for work and play.

Jailtime
03-26-2009, 09:15 PM
USAF, October 2008 to present. I'm currently in tech school for F-15/F-16 pod avionics. Awesome job, lots of electronics knowledge to be gained and applied here at AK!

Tower Boss
03-26-2009, 09:41 PM
US Army 1965-1968. Signal Corps, Field Radio Repair (Ft. Gordon, GA) as well as Radio Relay and Carrier repair technician. Those were the teletype days! Moved to Ft. Mead, Maryland, senior NCO in charge of battallion radio maintenance. Been hooked on electronics ever since, for work and play.

Hey pilotprose,

I don’t mean to make you feel old, as I was born in ‘65, but was also an affiliated member of the US Army Signal Corps Regiment. I joined up in ’84 and spent 8 years Active and 3 years in the Reserves.

I did my Advanced Individual Training (AIT) at Fort Gordon myself, starting out as a as a 72E Combat Telecommunications Specialist, merged with the 72G, got a TS Clearance, reclassified as a 74C and eventually retrained as a 31D Mobile Subscriber Equipment Operator. Believe it or not, those early TT’s and Crypto gear you used were still around when I first went in.

I spent my time in the sun and attended a number of HooAhh schools to get promoted. I probably would still be in if I had not taken the Early Out money the Clinton Administration offered up in ’92 to downsize the Military. Both my Brother (E-8/1SG currently in Iraq) and Brother-in-Law (E-7/SFC just returned from Iraq) are still active.

To take a quote from one of my favorite movies Stripes, the “Army Training, Sir” is what lead me to my occupation in the Wireless Telecommunications Sector and has contributed to my passion for Electronics as well.

Regards,
TB

Satcom123
08-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Joined AF in 1971. Trained as propeller spec and shipped to cal to maintain EC-121 prop. Sent to Korat Thialand 6 months at a time. Da Nang for O
V-10 shot up repairs. Fun time all most of the time.

Got out in 1975 and rejoined in 1976 as a Satellite Communications tech. Sent to remotes in Turkey, the sands of Egypt with TDY's to Germany, England. This is where I ordered stereo equipment and took it with me all over the world via hold baggage. Remember that? Spent a working vacation in Spain living in a small village. Maintained a satellite MSC-46 system on top of a big hill.

Ended up getting a special duty assignment to NEACP working on the E-4B aircraft. It was a 747 with every known radio one could think of. Got to fly on her too. This was a nuclear command post in the sky. Went to desert storm. Woopie. Retired in 1993. Was single all this time then got married had 4 boys and now the wife left us. Raising the 4 on my own. But that's another story. :D

Tarl Of Gor
08-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Navy 1976 - 1980 - Electronics Technician on USS Proteus AS-19 my entire time in the Navy. Stationed on Guam servicing SSBN submarines and then Long Beach for a major overhaul.

Registered member with The Sons Of The American Revolution.

icenine
08-04-2009, 11:07 AM
US NAVY 1988-2008
7 years sea time USS Abraham Lincoln CVN-72 91-93, USS Boxer 2000-2003
One tour 3rd FSSG Okinawa Japan 1990-91
One Tour 3rd MAW, Al Taqaddum Iraq OIF IIB 2004-2005
various Naval Hospitals in between

Tarl Of Gor
08-04-2009, 11:17 AM
I worked on the Lincoln while I was on Guam - but it was SSBN 602 back then!

Sandy G
08-04-2009, 11:29 AM
Any of you fellers ever work on R-390A/URRs ? Big ol' tube HF receiver, reputedly still in use...

JesusChrysler
08-04-2009, 01:38 PM
I was in the USMC Reserves from 92-96. Went nowhere; saw no action. I am thankful for that.

Matt

stratmel
08-04-2009, 02:01 PM
USAF 66-70, Williams AFB, AZ. Student pilot training instructor for altitude chamber, ejection seats and parachuting techniques. Pretty good job for the times. Got my first stereo then, still have the AR-4x's.

Enjoy the music,
-Mark

jayk
08-04-2009, 02:22 PM
got my invite to join the u.s. army from 'tricky dicky (nixon) from yorba linda (http://www.imeem.com/people/wo5JD8x/music/xXw44xLw/country-joe-the-fish-tricky-dicky-1971/)' in june '72. on july 10 '72, they bussed 3 of us to manchester nh, put us on a jet(!) to laguardia (http://www.google.com/search?q=laguardia+airport&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a), limoed(!) us to fort dix (http://www.google.com/search?q=fort+dix+nj&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a) for basic. so far, never had it so good!

did basic at dix-the boy scout troop i was in as a teen was tougher than army basic so eased thru that.
then to fort gordon, ga for AIT as an MP (cop!); yeah, right. another piece of cake. then orders for the big one:

JAPAN! as in TOKYO JAPAN!!

Jan 3/73-after a 2 week leave, jetted to travis afb, then on to yakota afb near tokyo, then bus to CAMP ZAMA (http://www.google.com/search?q=camp+zama+japan&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a)--about 30 klicks s.s.w. of tokyo. spent 18 months on a paid vacation.
instead of getting shot at in v. nam, i spent my days off skiing down mt fuji or swimming in the ocean.
http://www.canimina.com/thai04/brett/mt%20fuji%20by%20air%202.jpg
http://travel.3yen.com/wp-content/images/fuji.jpg
fuji-san from the air.

bought my first good hi fi, quad actually, as soon as i got there. and started a rock band-bought a bass guitar/amp and a P.A. system.

6/73 to 12/73--did 6 mos TDY at CAMP DRAKE (http://www.google.com/search?q=camp+drake+japan&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a), about 15 klicks n.w. of tokyo.
then back to zama til july 7 '74. the whole time i was at both camps, i chased a few girls, drank a my share of beer and booze, smoked a little buddha, the usual stuff. had one hell of a ball!

then, on 7/5/74 it was time to go home. as the m.a.c. flight out of yakota to travis was full, they put a few of us on a northwest orient 747 out of haneda, the downtown tokyo airport, and off to san francisco intl we went.

honorably discharged 7/7/74 in oakland, moved to reno nv-'nother story.

edit--after getting my draft notice in june '72, tried to join U.S.A.F. i admitted i had tried smoking pot and that kept me from getting a high security clearance and therefore out of the A.F. computer tech school i had wanted to get into. major bummer!
that would have applied to all the other mil services so i was stuck with getting drafted and the possibility of going to 'nam. major major bummer.

but i lucked out anyway. 'cept for missing the computer training.

rwingert50
08-04-2009, 04:03 PM
USN 75-79, OM3
Hit the fleet, Norkfolk, in spring of 76 after "A" school.
Did some time on USS L. Y. Spear, AS-36, D&S pier 22. In those days she pretty much stayed pier side. Swapped duties so I could see some of the world and went to USS Puget Sound AD-38, D&S pier 21. Two med cruises 76 & 78. Time of my life.

jancumps
08-04-2009, 06:00 PM
did my term in Soest Germany in 1987 - gunners in an Howitzer m-109.

spasmo55
08-05-2009, 11:25 AM
Active Duty Army 1973-80 w/101st, 82nd, 7th ID and Berlin Bde.
Army Reserve 1980-84
MN Army National Guard 84-90
FL Army National Guard 90-99

Carried everything from an M-16 to a 90 mm, all of it seeming heavy at the time.

Jumped out of perfectly good aircraft, lol

Rappelled out of perfectly good aircraft, lol again

Climbed up into perfectly good aircraft, while in flight, even got to tour jungle canopies hanging 40 ft below perfectly good aircraft.

Am very thankful fly boys keep their aircraft perfectly good.

Jungle Expert School, Artic Warfare Training twice, brrrrrr, JRTC twice, NTC

By the grace of God, worst thing I had to deal with was 2 months in Dade County, FL after a little guy named Andrew came to town to "Raise a little Hell!

Glad it is over, wouldn't trade it for anything! "Ne Desit Virtus"

Praying #2 son, now serving is as lucky as I was!

JHS2RT
08-05-2009, 12:12 PM
U.S. AIR FORCE - 1971 - 1975.
Weapons System Specialist on the F-111D Fighter Jet.
2 years @ RAF Upper Heyford,England.
Flightline Dispatcher
15 Months @ Cannon Air Force Base Clovis,New Mexico
I too would do it again in a heartbeat!

Drybasement
08-05-2009, 03:49 PM
U.S. Navy 1982-1988.

Boot camp at Great Lakes. B.E. & E and A School (Fire Control Technician) at Fleet Training Command, Great Lakes

C-School (MK 92 mod 2 Fire Control Weapons Radar System) at Fleet Training Command, Damneck, Virginia.

Stationed aboard U.S.S. Clark FFG-11, Mayport Naval Station, Mayport, Florida. Ship was later transfered to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania for reserve duty. I finished my Naval career in Philly after serving 4 1/2 years aboard that ship and 6 years total in the Navy.

During my time aboard ship I traveled to the Mediterranean (Med Cruise) through the Suez Canal and to the Persian Gulf. We had port-of-calls in Italy, Turkey, Bahrain and Pakistan. Spent a month off the coast of Beirut patroling a grid in the ocean. A 6 1/2 month deployment and we only spent 34 days in port. It was grueling deployment. A couple of Caribbean ops followed each being 3 month deployments. We made at least 6 different port-of-calls to Puerto Rico and one to St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands. Various other ops up and down the eastern seaboard landing us in Halifax, Nova Scotia, N.Y.C, Charleston, S.C and Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Man, that ship was underway constantly.

I had some great times and not-so-great times during my enlistment in the Navy and I don't regret ever serving. It was really the best alternative for me back then as I was a young high school graduate heading down a wrong path.

Redikilowatt
08-05-2009, 04:34 PM
Drafted into USMC April 1969 after finishing college.
Just like my dad (WWII), went to Parris Island for boot camp.
Originally assigned as 0300 grunt but because of shortage in AWAC field I volunteered for Marine Air Wing :banana:
After a couple of trips to Twentynine Palms for training, ended up at Beaufort Marine Corps Air Station. Made E-4 in 10 months. Draftees only had 2 years of active duty, so I was release in April 1971. Although a reluctant Marine, there were many positive impacts. At 63, I can still do 15 pull ups :thmbsp:

Roger

soulfarmer
08-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Thank you all.

Tarl Of Gor
08-05-2009, 04:48 PM
I know one thing, it was one helluvan experience and I would do it again if they'd let me. Pulling into Pearl Harbor was probably the neatest thing I've experienced in my life.

jayk
08-05-2009, 04:52 PM
yeah, i'd love to do it all over again.

when asked to re-up when nearing discharge time back in '74, i said i would but only if i could stay in japan.
the first sgt. told me they couldn't do it and i'd have to rotate.

no way.

Brian
08-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Joined US Navy Reserve in 1965 before Viet Nam was an issue. Sub qualified out of Groton Ct. Transferred to regular Navy in '66. Attended Naval Academy in Annapolis (Class of '70) where I was injured and Uncle said bye bye with a medical discharge. I had prepared to be career officer. Most of my high school chums though Air Force and Navy brats wanted no part of the military and made light of my life's goal. How life turns out sometimes, I never saw anything remotely like action while most of them did and a few never made it back.

jayk
08-05-2009, 06:08 PM
Joined US Navy Reserve in 1965 before Viet Nam was an issue. Sub qualified out of Groton Ct. Transferred to regular Navy in '66. Attended Naval Academy in Annapolis (Class of '70) where I was injured and Uncle said bye bye with a medical discharge. I had prepared to be career officer. Most of my high school chums though Air Force and Navy brats wanted no part of the military and made light of my life's goal. How life turns out sometimes, I never saw anything remotely like action while most of them did and a few never made it back.
bummer re getting injured at annapolis. imo, our military academies are the best schools going!
if you don't mind my asking, how many years did you get thru before being injured?

Brian
08-05-2009, 07:17 PM
Knocked off in the 1st year. Ripped stomach. Our class had a large number of injuries and several suicides as a result of hazing and it coupled with similar issues at the Air Force Academy forced a Congressional investigation that forced a change to hazing restricting forms of physical abuse by upper classmen.

I agree that they are the best and NEVER for a moment regretted the opportunity to attend. I had quietly hoped my son would have had some desire, especially as one of his classmate went to the Canadian Royal Military College, the Canadian equiv of our 5. He is now in the Canadian Navy.

The educational offerings are far broader than when I went and the system while still structured similarly as when I attended has gone more mainstream university. It also, has proven to be a path to excellent possibilities if the military life is not a career with more than the average moving to upper level positions at much higher than average wages in civilian life. Add to that the chances now available to post-secondary education within the military life for grads and it is amazing.

Sorry for hogging but, I'm still Johnny All-Nav at heart.

Nautiker
08-18-2009, 07:11 AM
Retired about 2 years ago as a Lt Col after serving 28 years - I'm a KC-135 Instructor Navigator (there's a dying breed), and spent the last half of my career in HHQ Staff jobs. I absolutely loved it, was without a doubt the best thing I could've done - traveled all over the world, and made some of the best friends I can imagine... I'd do it again, if I could...
:tresbon:

screenersam
08-18-2009, 02:32 PM
Boxkicker in Navy
NAF Washington (Andrews AFB) 1985-1991 we used to joke we had more flights there than the zoomies (Air Force)
USS Oliver Hazard Perry 1989-1991
watched the Gulf War on tv.

some cool memories (snokeling in Gitmo!) and a great resume enhancer. no regrets.

kappa7krazy
09-27-2009, 10:36 PM
19 kilo
Atrp 1/11 ACR
Fulda Germany 91-93
Saudi and Kuwait

Sandy G
09-28-2009, 08:23 AM
Heads up, fellers ! My wife-US Army 1974-77, nurse, & who is now an RN at Mountain Home VA Medical Center in Johnson City, TN, says that if you HAVEN'T registered w/the VA, it might be a VERY GOOD IDEA to go ahead & do it, & make sure you're "In the System'.... A word to the wise 'n' all...(Wink, wink..Nudge, nudge..)

NAM JAMMER
09-28-2009, 09:23 AM
USAF 69-73
Life support tech.
Wright Patterson testing newC5a for service
Vietnam 70-71 4 months at Tuyhoa f-100's then 8 months Phucat f4's 71-73 Loring AFB Me. Kc-135's and B-52's
Lost my room mate in crash of kc-135 so men don't ever forget these guy's gave for all of us.Only lost one pilot while in Nam.Two came back thanks to our equipment we trained them to use and keep them alive.They bought the beer and it is still a good feeling to know you helped save some one's life.I didn't like it at time but would do it all over again looking back.
One son went in AF and got out after 4 years and still is involved in civilian job working on computer systems for government with top secret clearance and making GOOD money thanks to AF training.
I fell in love with this gear while in Nam.I still have pioneer speakers,Head phones from when I was in and all my vinyl I collected.
I still have a cassette tap of the pilots who crashed and came back telling there story how they survived on the ground all night with the VC hunting them and almost finding them.It is a great tape and I listen to it once in awhile just for old time sake and not forget the sacrifices made for us.

TNRabbit
09-28-2009, 10:10 AM
USAF, Retired (1980-2000)
10 years Financial Management (snore), 10 years AFOSI (Woo Hoo!)

I was stationed at:
-Barksdale AFB, LA
-RAF Upper Heyford, UK
-Arnold AFS, TN
-Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
-Bolling AFB, DC
-Incirlik AB, Turkey

Absolutely LOVED Turkey (1986-2000)

Scott W
09-28-2009, 07:51 PM
US Navy, Interior Communications 1982-1985. 2 west pacs aboard the USS Monticello (LSD-35) Stationed at pier 10, 32nd st Naval Station San diego, CA.

I'm almost willing to bet we were both on the same west pac from July 1982 - Jan 1983.Some of the other ships were the Samual Gompers
,Cayuga,Tuskalusa,Bellawood.I had a GREAT time in P.I. and Perth(Freemantle) Austrailia.I spent a short time on the USS Stein FF 1065 as well(unfortunatly),wish I had stayed on the Ogden,I may have stayed in longer.Talk about complete opposites!!

Infinitoid
09-28-2009, 08:36 PM
6th USArmy Band, Presidio of San Francisco. 1971-1974. French horn/euphonium.

tboat4
09-28-2009, 08:49 PM
U.S. Army Nov '66 to Aug '68. Basic at Ft. Benning, Leadership Prep and A.I.T. at Ft. Knox. Was supposed to go to Officer Candidate School (Armor) but got some advice from a good Lt. Col. the family knew, changed my mind and was shipped to Korea (Camp Casey) for 15 months. Went over there as an 11D Armored Intelligence Specialist (Recon Scout) and again received some good advice and was assigned to 7th ADMIN Co as a Personnel Specialist 71H.