View Full Version : Boston Acoustics A-100 v. A-150 v. Large Advents

Will V.
04-03-2008, 12:45 PM
What are the differences between the two? I have the opportunity to pick up one or the other. How do each compare with original large Advents? I already have two pair of large Advents.

FYI, the current room is smallish-medium, about 10'x20'. But I'll be moving within a few years to something with more space, probably.

pmsummer
04-03-2008, 12:49 PM
The A150 is a three way speaker. It is fantastic, and rumors persist that it was originally designed by Andy Petite(sp?) while he was still with Advent as the replacement for the Advent Loudspeaker. It's a much better speaker than the very good A100.

JohnVF
04-03-2008, 12:58 PM
I have the A-150 and the Original Large Advents. Out of 30 or so pairs of speakers that have gone through here this year I run the A-150s as mains on one of my three systems. The Advents sit unused in a closet. I think the A-150 is a terrific speaker, and much better than the Advent. I play them in a pretty large room, though, so that might make a difference from what you're playing . I do find that they have a very narrow 'sweet' spot for the best sound, but that works with my listening habits. Cheers!

thedelihaus
04-03-2008, 01:13 PM
The A100 is good, and the Large Advent is legendary, but the A150 is, my opinion only, a better speaker. I've owned the Advents, from the Large to the New to the 5012, and the A150s and A200s, as well as A40s and A70s, and am familiar with A100s.

The Advents and A100s are, as mentioned, 2 ways. The A150 is a three way.

There's argument about the benefits of two ways over three ways, and vice-versa, but in this case, I give the blue ribbon to the A150s.

Will V.
04-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Thanks, guys. The A-150's, it is! I'll be picking them up Saturday!

Also, any reason I should consider picking up the A-100 as well, and running them in back, with the A-150 up front? I was thinking of running a pair of large Advents in back, only for when I need more *oomph* watching movies.

thedelihaus
04-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Thanks, guys. The A-150's, it is! I'll be picking them up Saturday!

Also, any reason I should consider picking up the A-100 as well, and running them in back, with the A-150 up front? I was thinking of running a pair of large Advents in back, only for when I need more *oomph* watching movies.

If you're going to use it for a home theater setup, why not grab the A-100s? For music, I don't usually care for the "quad" effect, but for rear movie surrounds, either through a HT processor or a fancy delay like Nikko and a/d/s/ and Yamaha made, if you got the space, I say go for it. The timbre will be a better match than the advents.

Good luck, and report back with photos and detail$ later, okay?

:thmbsp:

JohnVF
04-03-2008, 02:34 PM
I'll second that. Timbre matching made all the difference in my HT. Went from 5 separate speakers to one coherent sound. I run different speakers from the same manufacturer but they all have a common tweeter design. I see A40s-70s in Thrifts from time to time, so maybe one of those could pull center duty?

thedelihaus
04-03-2008, 03:00 PM
The A40 was offered in a shielded design in both series I and II as an A40v (I know, because I own a pair).

The HD5 came as a HD5v, also shielded. These would make nice center channels.

It's possible the A70 may have also been offered as such, but I've never seen proof of it. I'm skeptical.

chebishev
04-03-2008, 03:15 PM
Better late then never.... I have a pair of the A150's and the A100's. The A150's are a great speaker for all ranges of music from classical to rock and are an excellent choice. However being an owner of A100's series one and two I still like the sound of a classic two-way and can't see any good reason for you not to get the A100's also (especially if they are the series one model). AB the 100's with the 150's and see which one you really like the best, either choice is a good one. Here is a scanned A150 brochure for all to enjoy!!

JohnVF
04-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Thanks for posting the brochure! Love my oak-veneer a150s. What a unique looking, simple design.

anytune
04-03-2008, 06:09 PM
I have a pair of Boston A-120's and until recently also had a set of Large Advents. Well, I still have the Bostons. End of story.

Will V.
04-06-2008, 02:10 AM
Well, I picked up the A150s today. I listened to them for about two minutes before making my decision. Awesome speakers! This was not a bargain purchase, I got them from a local shop, but they have a warranty, and the price still beat ebay + shipping. Plus, I do think vintage Bostons are hard to come by, around here. They are near mint, oak veneer.

Only negative, I don't think I can ignore the shortcomings of my current main amp, an Onkyo 5130. Compared with my Pioneer SX-950, the Onkyo just lacks guts, or cajones, as I prefer to describe it. The 950 is currently with markthefixer getting a tune-up, hopefully minor. When I get it back, I will have to contemplate pressing the 950 into full-time duty. Every pair of speakers I own sounds better on the 950.

I got a cool pic of my gargoyle keeping watch perched atop an A150, but I don't know if I can attach a pic using the iPhone. I'll post this, and then give it a shot.

Edit: no dice on posting a photo while using an iPhone.

Will V.
04-06-2008, 02:49 AM
BTW, I did not pick up the A100s. The condition wasn't as good as the A150s, but mostly, the A100s just seemed a little too large for my intended purpose. I might go back and pick them up, but I'd rather have smaller speakers to match with the A150s.

Elberon
04-06-2008, 01:33 PM
You might want to get the Consumer Reports winning BA A-70! Look up the thread that thedelihaus posted awhile back. Smaller and less expensive than the A-100 but still a good match for the A-150s (same tweet, if it's a cft). I have AR-5s, Advent 5002s, and A-150s. I'd give the slight edge to the A-150s too!

Will V.
04-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Here are the A150s. Actually, just one A150, with my gargoyle perched on top. Placement is less than ideal right now, I need to move some furniture around. But for now, it works, and the A150s sound fantastic!

I will definitely check into the A70, I was thinking they would be a good option for me.

kfa888
04-06-2008, 02:51 PM
I bet the gargoyle works as good or better than speaker beaks. :D

thedelihaus
04-06-2008, 02:53 PM
Here are the A150s. Actually, just one A150, with my gargoyle perched on top. Placement is less than ideal right now, I need to move some furniture around. But for now, it works, and the A150s sound fantastic!

I will definitely check into the A70, I was thinking they would be a good option for me.

If that grill cloth is original, it was a factory optional color, and not the standard color.

Will V.
04-06-2008, 04:28 PM
It's the same color shown in the brochure PDF that was posted. It seems it was the factory color paired with the oak veneer. The walnut veneer got black cloth. These are definitely original.

JohnVF
04-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Yep, original..mine look the same. The lighter color oak had wood veneer. My A100s had a darker woodgrain vinyl with black cloth. To me, the lighter oak ones look 10x better, and fit my vintage decor better.

If you got those A150s where I think you did...did you get the beautiful Yamaha 1020 sitting on the shelf nearby?

Will V.
04-07-2008, 05:37 PM
You mean just north of Chicago a ways? We're probably thinking of the same place.

I looked around at the components, but I didn't see anything that caught my eye, that I could afford. Maybe I was blinded by the McIntosh stuff. But I really am a newbie, so I might have just missed it, or maybe it was already sold.

It was my first visit there, and I was treated very well. They weren't at all like, "oh, you want those *cheap* speakers?" Turned out I had spoken with the owner on the phone, when I called to hold them. Another salesperson helped me, and a kid helped me carry them to the car. They were all nice. I'll be back. And I asked, and they can ship any stuff I want to look at to another store closer to me.

I have passed by the closer store a hundred times, and always thought I would get serious snob attitude if I stopped in looking for used gear.

chebishev
04-07-2008, 09:17 PM
It's the same color shown in the brochure PDF that was posted. It seems it was the factory color paired with the oak veneer. The walnut veneer got black cloth. These are definitely original.

My A400s came in oak veneer with the same color grills. Boston Acoustics officially calls the color "wheat".:D

Will V.
04-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Nevermind

JohnVF
04-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Yep, that's the place. Audio Consultants. (I hope I'm not blowing the cover for those a100s if you still want them...). I go in there all the time and have never bought anything and they are still nice to me every time I go. They even talked me OUT of buying a tuner because they didn't feel it was the kind that would satisfy what I was looking for, and sent me on a quest to find a tube tuner. Which I found, and have to sort of thank them for the sonic bliss it delivers. They had a Yamaha cr1020 that was just immaculate, but it's not listed on their site anymore so I guess it's gone. Great store and nice people.

good luck with those A150s. I'm listening to mine as I type.

-john

grillebilly
04-07-2008, 11:45 PM
Glad to hear you like the 150's. I picked up a pair that needed surrounds, and with parts from ReEdger they sound like new again. I was a little bummed to find out through this thread they are the vinyl covered model. Also, the sensitivity is low compared to most all the other speakers in the house. I like them better than Advents, but have never heard stacked Advents (Next project, two pair in garage getting new surrounds) I agree they are an all-around speaker, especially like acoustic music.

thedelihaus
04-08-2008, 12:39 AM
Yep, original..mine look the same. The lighter color oak had wood veneer. My A100s had a darker woodgrain vinyl with black cloth. To me, the lighter oak ones look 10x better, and fit my vintage decor better.

If you got those A150s where I think you did...did you get the beautiful Yamaha 1020 sitting on the shelf nearby?

I had both darker and lighter factory wood veneer models on A150s and A200s, and also vinyl A70s and A40s in two different vinyl finishes.

Both A150s and A200s had factory dark grill cloth, despite their obviously different veneer finishes.

Boston Acoustics has some discrepancies in their own literature, as to specs, and to what was stock, or optional, or they changed the options along the way.

So, my guess is they came in wood veneer in at least two,or more finishes, followed by an option of either wood veneer or your choice of lesser-priced vinyl later on, and at least four factory grill cloth options- beige, grey, and two shades of brown- dark grey/brown and light chocolate brown.

I've personally seen all four grill cloths, factory, because of the way BA puts their grills together- the "welded" plastic and glued cloth.

Will V.
04-08-2008, 08:46 AM
Yep, that's the place. Audio Consultants. (I hope I'm not blowing the cover for those a100s if you still want them...).

It's OK, I don't think I'm picking up those A100s, and it's not like AC hasn't been around forever. There is something else in there, in their repair shop now, that is a seriously good deal, and I have my name on it. I won't go into details about it just yet, though.

On most items, they are right in the ballpark for retail used equipment. I think maybe they sometimes undervalue obscure equipment, but I'm not going to tell them that. Nice people, though.

DaveElton
04-09-2008, 08:29 AM
I have a pair of A-100's, and have heard the A-150's some years ago. In my system, with my electronics etc. etc. I have found that I prefer the Large Advents, and/or the Advent Legacy's of the same vintage as the Bostons over the A-100's. The Bostons are excellent speakers, however in my experience the Advents go lower and are smoother on the high-end. YMMV of course:)

Celt
04-09-2008, 09:27 AM
I've removed two posts from this thread. Do Not Post Auction Links In Any Forum Other Than Dollars And Sense.
Please read: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=65230

KentTeffeteller
04-20-2008, 09:14 PM
Hi,

The Boston A series could be had in several different finishes at the same price. The v series were often special order and cost $25 extra. I like Boston Acoustics A 40 and A 70 speakers well. I used to have a pair of A 40 II's I bought new (I miss them).

Will V.
04-21-2008, 02:28 AM
I decided to pick up some A60's to go along with the A150's, as rear speakers. I don't know if I'll actually build a full HT setup with Bostons yet, but I might. The A150's are fantastic.

I picked up some JBL 4311's since getting the A150's, and I think I will get rid of the JBL's. They just don't sound nearly as detailed and flat as the A150's.

thedelihaus
04-21-2008, 02:44 AM
Hi,

The Boston A series could be had in several different finishes at the same price. The v series were often special order and cost $25 extra. I like Boston Acoustics A 40 and A 70 speakers well. I used to have a pair of A 40 II's I bought new (I miss them).

Thanks for the info on the "V" option. :thmbsp:

I decided to pick up some A60's to go along with the A150's, as rear speakers. I don't know if I'll actually build a full HT setup with Bostons yet, but I might. The A150's are fantastic.

I picked up some JBL 4311's since getting the A150's, and I think I will get rid of the JBL's. They just don't sound nearly as detailed and flat as the A150's.

The 4311s are a totally different beast than the A150s. I've owned some JBLs of that era, and though they are very good speakers, they proved not to be to my liking.

I found the A150s and A200s to be sublime.

As for the A60s, a very good choice for rears. If you happen across the A70s at any time, worth grabbing for the slightly larger boxes. The drivers are 100% interchangeable betwixt the two* (unless you have the early cone A60s, which seem uncommon), and the A70s will give you a bigger sound with a modicum increase in box size and I imagine a slightly different crossover.**

Early A70s were billed as 6 ohms, later series II as 8 ohms (I've had both). I honestly can't say if there's a difference or not- the earlier 6 ohm series came with either the SEAS tweeter or the BA in-house tweeter, that looks identical to later-model BA in-house tweeters.

Woofers look similar in execution in many models- some early models I believe with square magnets, later models with round, but I'm not 100% sure I'm recalling this detail correctly.

mloaks
04-21-2008, 09:48 AM
there are a150s near me on that site, refoamed for $100.
good deal?

JohnVF
04-21-2008, 10:14 AM
As far as sound for dollar, yes..a very good deal. They are fantastic speakers. I'm using them as mains right now, and run them off of both tube and SS with great success.

mloaks
04-21-2008, 11:00 AM
tks john

thedelihaus
04-21-2008, 11:16 AM
there are a150s near me on that site, refoamed for $100.
good deal?

As far as sound for dollar, yes..a very good deal. They are fantastic speakers. I'm using them as mains right now, and run them off of both tube and SS with great success.

I'll agree with this.

Depending on your locale, vinyl versions will command this price. Here in Boston, veneer will command that price, vinyl being a bit less. Veneered versions in other parts of the country may actually command more- at least one fella paid $200 for his veneer BAs outside of New England.

Don't sweat the tweeters- if it's a big round plate, it's an early SEAS tweet. Favored because it's SEAS built, making them a smidge more desirable/collectable.

BUT... the BA badged dome on a rectangular plate is it's equal- some say even better. I'll call it depending on listener's ears, but Andy Petite/Kostasos built good stuff, and as far as I'm concerned, it's voiced the same as the SEAS.

Make sure drivers are original, and cabs are good for that price, whether veneer or vinyl, but sounds like a very fair price.

They'll stomp most speakers you'll get for $150.

P. Shivers
04-21-2008, 03:36 PM
I decided to pick up some A60's to go along with the A150's, as rear speakers. I don't know if I'll actually build a full HT setup with Bostons yet, but I might.

If you do, look for a CenterSat 7 center channel from BA. It uses a 1" dome tweeter that matches really well with the A series BA speakers. I use one with a pair of A-100 for my HT, with BA CR-6's for rear surrounds.

mloaks
04-22-2008, 04:23 PM
I'll agree with this.
Depending on your locale, vinyl versions will command this price.
Don't sweat the tweeters- if it's a big round plate, it's an early SEAS tweet. Favored because it's SEAS built, making them a smidge more desirable/collectable.
BUT... the BA badged dome on a rectangular plate is it's equal- some say even better. I'll call it depending on listener's ears, but Andy Petite/Kostasos built good stuff, and as far as I'm concerned, it's voiced the same as the SEAS.
Make sure drivers are original, and cabs are good for that price, whether veneer or vinyl, but sounds like a very fair price.

Wow.
Thanks!
Cabinets are fine, and vinyl.
Drivers are refoamed. pix seem a BA dome tweeter....

mloaks
04-23-2008, 02:20 PM
I'll agree with this.

Won the 150s for 120usd.
Original drivers were refoamed.
tks to everyone.

Glassman
04-23-2008, 03:12 PM
Enjoy! I picked mine up for a steal thanks to Deli's eBay watching. Since being refoamed, they have been in service in the main room (over 2 years now). Mine are the Series II (1983 stamped on the woofers) even though it isn't stated on the tag. I was in touch with BA and they gave me the lowdown on how to tell series based on serial number. Unfortunately, the e-mail from them is long gone now. I would think yours are also the Series II:

A-150 Oak 3-way, 10" woofer, 3.5" tweeter,1" tweeter 81-83 100 watts $550.00/pr
A-150 Series II oak or walnut 3-way, 10" woofer, 3.5" tweeter,1" tweeter 83-87 100 watts $600.00/pr
A-150 Series II oak or walnut 3-way, 10" woofer, 3.5" tweeter,1" tweeter 83-87 100 watts $500.00/pr
A-150 Series II woodgrain vinyl 3-way, 10" woofer, 3.5" tweeter,1" tweeter 83-87 100 watts $500.00/pr

I have thought about updating the crossovers one of these days but for now they just sound too good to change. I added a set of A-40 Series II for rear speakers and the sound is very nice. The subwoofer is off most of the time now.

Jay

mloaks
04-23-2008, 05:39 PM
Enjoy! I picked mine up for a steal thanks to Deli's eBay watching. Since being refoamed, they have been in service in the main room (over 2 years now). Mine are the Series II (1983 stamped on the woofers) even though it isn't stated on the tag. I was in touch with BA and they gave me the lowdown on how to tell series based on serial number. Unfortunately, the e-mail from them is long gone now. I would think yours are also the Series II:...
I have thought about updating the crossovers one of these days but for now they just sound too good to change. I added a set of A-40 Series II for rear speakers and the sound is very nice. The subwoofer is off most of the time now.
Jay

Good fr you, J, and thanks for the above.
It is cool and convenient that 150s dont need improving, and that you dont feel the need to run yr sub!
I am so stoked; pick them up saturday.
Is there an advantage to Series II?
tks

thedelihaus
04-23-2008, 06:47 PM
...Is there an advantage to Series II?
tks

Depends on how you look at it. The IIs use a in-house BA tweeter, or at least 95% or more of them did, I'm speculating. The earlier used SEAS, or, 95% or more of them did (also speculating). You can be from either camp as to which tweeter is better- the SEAS or the BA in-house tweeter. I've heard folk like one over the other, either direction. To me, they are both superb and it's splitting hairs.

The woofer in the later models progressed to a smaller magnet, maybe some other changes. But it sounds the same as the earlier ones. For the A70s, the speaker went from a rated 6 ohm, to a rated 8 ohm, but was there really a difference? I dunno. The A40 woofers went to a treated cone in series II, and sharp ears may claim a slight sound difference, but again, splitting hairs.

My take on it is the series II brought refinements to the process- more control over the tweeter and a slimmed woofer design, retaining the sound of the originals, if not a miniscule improvement.

Folk will argue the same about Advents- is the "Original" with the masonite woofer better than the "New" with the revised deeper metal basket, or is the Advent/Jensen 5002/5012/25th anniversary model with a dome tweeter the better of 'em all?

I know what I think, but I ca ask three friends and two will chose something different than I.

Glad you scored them! Enjoy- I know you will!!! :thmbsp:

mloaks
04-24-2008, 10:06 AM
Thanks yet again.
They are 1984 models so I supose that is II, vinyl.
I am anxious to hear my fav music on them!

Andyman
05-18-2008, 12:31 PM
I just snagged a set of A150s off CL today and am looking forward to A/B'ing them with the A100s I'm currently using in my bedroom.
From what i've seen here, I should be all smiles :D

JohnVF
05-18-2008, 02:25 PM
I just snagged a set of A150s off CL today and am looking forward to A/B'ing them with the A100s I'm currently using in my bedroom.
From what i've seen here, I should be all smiles :D

I'm curious as to what your reaction will be. I traded A100s for A150s but I never got around to refoaming the A100s before the trade, so couldn't compare. I just took a gamble that the 150s were the better of the two. I certainly can't complain..they've stayed in my main system longer than anything else so far.

Boss302
06-10-2008, 10:37 AM
I have an opportunity to pickup a nice set of A100s and have a question regarding these speakers and room size. My wife made…I mean, I decided to move my gear to a small 11’ X 12’ spare bedroom we use as our computer room and was wondering how these speakers might perform in such a small room. Any thoughts?

Thanks

thedelihaus
06-10-2008, 11:54 AM
I have an opportunity to pickup a nice set of A100s and have a question regarding these speakers and room size. My wife made…I mean, I decided to move my gear to a small 11’ X 12’ spare bedroom we use as our computer room and was wondering how these speakers might perform in such a small room. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Yes.

1) Divorce and re-marry a wife who allows you put your speakers where you want, and does not relegate your enjoyment to be confined into a closet of a room.

2) Then, go buy A150s, a200s or a400s and a big shiny vintage receiver or better yet, a stack of separates.

3) Put them in the living/family room- after all, it is a room for living/family, for entertainment, and not just for "show" or for the comfort of some strangers that visit once a year to be impressed by. It's a room made for a family to enjoy each other, share entertainment, and fill with sweet music.

4) spin some great vinyl, kiss the new wife, and live happily ever after.

In the meantime, the A100s may work in your room- I'd think they'd be a tad large, and maybe some A70s would fit, but why not give it a try?

I think you'd be happy with the A100s- basically a larger A70 with more bass extension.

:thmbsp:

Boss302
06-10-2008, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the advice thedelihaus…on the speakers, that is. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to drive over and audition them this weekend.

As far as the advice on the wife goes…After twenty years of marital bliss I think she’s a keeper. Besides, she has a nice rack. And I don’t mean component rack! :thmbsp:

thedelihaus
06-11-2008, 01:18 AM
Thanks for the advice thedelihaus…on the speakers, that is. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to drive over and audition them this weekend.

As far as the advice on the wife goes…After twenty years of marital bliss I think she’s a keeper. Besides, she has a nice rack. And I don’t mean component rack! :thmbsp:

I understand. 20 years of happiness would make me grateful.:thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp:

The A100 is the best 2-way of the A series, and in Boston Acoustic's words, their first no-compromise speaker in the lineup.

If the A100s don't seem to big for your room, look for more BAs. If you ever come across A150s and A200s, don't hesitate. I could run mine off a 30wpc Marantz 1060 and a Denon POA 1500 at 170-200 bench tested, and both made them sing.

The A150 was an attempt by Andy Kostasos/Petite to better the large Advent. While the large Advent had great bass, the rest of the speaker was, in my opinion and I'm sure others, an improvement over an already good design.

Once agian, congrats on the good marriage and possibly good speakers.:yes:

mloaks
06-12-2008, 10:39 AM
for richer, for poorer...

I have A150s in a room my spouse deemed fit; 12' x12'x6' and L-shaped.
Needless to say, positioning was tough, but the sound... ooh-h-h-h-h...
Played Santana III, and I'd never heard those congas and bongos like that before!

JohnVF
06-12-2008, 11:16 AM
I find the 150s to be more forgiving of what is upstream from them than any of my speakers. Some things sound better than others, some things sound absolutely stunning, and nothing sounds bad. A simple design that just seems to get so much right.

dashan
09-25-2008, 12:21 PM
What's the reasonable price to pay for a pair of A-150 speakers for a local buy?

ponderbear
09-25-2008, 12:50 PM

yes, they are! And the A60s are a fine choice for rears. Great smooth sound.

I don't have much to contribute but I can't help but join in the chorus of A-150 praise. I almost parted with mine recently (space issues only) but thanks to some quick responses here at AK, I realized what an idiot I'd be. So they'll sit in protective custody somewhere until I have space to let them breathe again.

Arby
09-25-2008, 02:05 PM
I just re-foamed a pair of A150's (series I) 3 weeks ago. I got them from work for free as I was told to throw them out. I work in a TV studio and they were props. I didn't think so much bass would come from such a slim cabinet. I can't wait to listen to them when the woofers fully break-in.

skeeter99
03-15-2010, 06:34 PM
I'm going to revive this old thread, hope you all don't mind :)

My father-in-law has a couple sets of A-150's (series II I believe) powered off a Haffler Preamp (can't remember the model) and B&K ST-140 amp with an NAD CD player (once again, can't remember the model) and they sound fantastic.

I've been looking for new speakers for my living room and thought about many different options then came across a set of the A-150's on CL last night for a good price. I emailed the owner and they were still available so I'm going to take a look at them this week. He actually has two sets and they are all Series I in oak with the light colored (wheat?) grills. The price is very good and he said they were all recently refoamed. If they are good it looks like I'm picking up a couple sets of these this week!

Just wanted to share, can't wait to hear/see them and hopefully get them home!

Question, how many of you run them with stands? They are really low to listen to without them and was considering building a set of nice stands to raise them up a little bit.

Thanks for all the info in this thread!

Scott

adam-ads
03-15-2010, 08:12 PM
I think the mid and tweet are at a good height for easychair listening. They were designed to sit on the floor and they have a bolt-on pedestal that helps the speaker bite into carpeting.

If you really do need to raise them, I'd think about replacing the stock pedestals with taller ones and fill the extra space with ballast.

pmsummer
03-15-2010, 08:16 PM
They don't need/shouldn't have stands. The A-200s needed risers, but not the A-150s. The Series I probably has the SEAS tweeter, which some prefer.

Congratulations!

BTW: Your father-in-law rocks.

skeeter99
03-15-2010, 08:21 PM
I think the mid and tweet are at a good height for easychair listening. They were designed to sit on the floor and they have a bolt-on pedestal that helps the speaker bite into carpeting.

If you really do need to raise them, I'd think about replacing the stock pedestals with taller ones and fill the extra space with ballast.

Yeah they are good for easychair listening, unfortunately I have a couch in that room with a higher seat. I will just get them home and try them out before I do anything of course.

Building bigger pedestals is what I was thinking about plus adding more of a "base" to give them greater back and forth stability. Adding ballast is a perfect idea and I had already thought of that so its good to see my ideas aren't only my own :D

skeeter99
03-15-2010, 08:25 PM
They don't need/shouldn't have stands. The A-200s needed risers, but not the A-150s. The Series I probably has the SEAS tweeter, which some prefer.

Congratulations!

BTW: Your father-in-law rocks.

I'm pretty sure these have the SEAS tweet as they're the round platted ones, not the square ones. I'm pretty sure that was the visual cue that separated them apart :thmbsp:

Yeah, my father in law is cool. I worked for a large car audio place when I met my wife so I got him hooked on car audio and he got me into home audio. We often go to audio meets together when we're down in Oregon (where they live) and I was texting him about these speakers just this morning. He's got another set of A70's and some other older BA's in this series too. If I needed a 7.0 system we could easily put one together between what he has and what I'll hopefully be getting :D I already have a pretty kick a$$ system for my main and these will be for my secondary setup. Power comes from a Rotel RSX-1056 so I'll give that a try and see if I need an external amp as well.

Thanks!!

Scott

archie2
03-15-2010, 10:49 PM
I have my A150's on 12 inch stands driven by an Altec 345A tube amp. through a Hafler pre amp. Odd as it may seem my Marantz 4270, NHT SuperZeros and 3D Acoustic subwoofer edges them out in sound. I strongly suspect it's the room acoustics. Gotta blame something.

scottdavis08
01-12-2013, 12:48 AM
The main difference I believe is that the Boston Acoustics are a fantastic sounding 3 way speaker, and the New large Advents are a fantastic sounding 2 way. The Bostons have a great midrange and a cleaner, more natural bass sound than the Advents. But the Advents are no slouch. I am digging the tweeter sound alot more than I thought I would, and making the cabinets airtight with speaker acoustic tape really makes a world of a difference! I need to play more records for a better comparison, so far they both sound killer in their own way.

backinthelou
01-17-2013, 01:09 AM
I just refoamed a pair of A100's I had in the basement for several months. I picked them up from GW, but they were missing the woofers. After searching on ebay several months and the only woofers that pop up are refoamed hack jobs that people should have left to someone not on drugs. Anyway, I found a beat up pair locally on CL and quickly confiscated the woofers. I ordered the foams from Rick Cobb and received them today. I got them all back together and man they sound good.

I had a mint pair of oak A150's about a year and a half ago, but let them go because I needed to downsize. They were beat out by some Polk Monitor 10's-not for accuracy but for bass. The A150's just seemed to be missing in the bottom end. I think it had more to do with the Marantz 2230 I was driving them with.

I also have a very nice pair of A200's I picked up a few weeks ago. They sound fantastic. I may have to finally hook up a surround sound for the OL consisting of A200's, A100's a center and this powered Boston sub I have. There is a pair of A40's on CL that need refoamed. Potential center channel. :)