View Full Version : DLK speakers

Eilati
03-19-2004, 10:28 AM
Has anybody heard of DLK speakers, Don L Kleiwer?
I am attaching a pic.
Thanks
Uri

prnewman
07-02-2005, 12:24 AM
Hi,

I am trying to figure out the best way to replace the foam surrounds on my DLK Series 4 speakers. I'm not sure how to remove the woofers to replace the foam, or where the best place is to find a good replacement foam kit for theses speakers.

Anyone familiar with these???

Thanks

Paul

doucanoe
07-02-2005, 06:24 AM
Hey Eilati, I own the same model 1 DLK's. here is some info on them someone posted for me on another site......

Paul, I have not see the 4's but I have heard the 3's. very nice, you might want to check wooferrepair.com.

I was an employee of DLK Speakers. I started working there in 1972 my employee number was (1). The company was a wholly owned subsidiary of Schaak Electronics based in Minneapolis MN. The name is derived from name of the engineer Donald L. Kliewer. Don was an excellent engineer and had a state of then art lab for the time based on Bruel & Kjaer test equipment. The company originally made speakers under the Omega label and later developed a higher end line under the DLK label. Don did extensive testing of drivers and in the DLK line did not use off the shelf drivers but had them slightly modified to his specifications and 2nd order x-overs were used in all models. All the DLK speakers were made of Ύ” mdf and had hand rubbed oiled book matched walnut veneered cabinets. The DLK Model 1 was the first speaker in the line. It was a two way design using a Phenolic Ring tweeter and an 8” paper cone tweeter with a butyl rubber surround. The next speakers were the Model 2 and 3. Both these were three way designs with the woofer and tweeter in phase and the midrange out of phase to smooth the x-over notch distortion, a common practice then. The Model 3 was developed first and the Model 2 was a modified 3 made to be smaller less expensive. The 3 had a 12” woofer with a foam surround in a sealed cabinet. A 4.5” paper midrange with a doped fiberglass surround in a sealed sub-cabinet. The tweeter was a Matsushita doped cloth dome with a sealed back. This tweeter was very cutting edge at the time. The model 2 cabinet had the same height and width as the 3 but was not as deep and was ported. The woofer was nearly the same as used in the Three but had a doped folded fiberglass surround and a smaller dust cap and was designed for the ported cabinet. The midrange was the same and the tweeter was the same as used in the model 1. After the 2 and 3 were released there was a need for a model between the 1and 2 and DLK 1 ½ was developed. This was basically a Model 1 with two 8” woofers and the cabinet size increased to load both woofers. There was also a Model ½ and Ό released later. The ½ was a sealed two way design with a 6” woofer with butyl rubber surround and a paper cone tweeter and the Ό was a 41/2 full range driver in a small ported cabinet. The Ό could be seen on the back deck of many cars in the seventies in the early days of car stereos. The final speaker was the DLK Model 4 which was basically a 3 with two 12” woofers. This was known for its large size almost four feet high and it’s cultured marble top. The x-over in the model 4s were made in pairs with matched drivers and x-overs and all the capacitors were large Mylar sand filled type. I am glad to see these speakers are still out there making music and still stand up in sound quality after almost 30 years.

RC (not the author of the above)

M Jarve
07-02-2005, 08:47 AM
That answers a lot about DLK. In Northern Minnesota, they're pretty thick on the ground, and if someone had the time, they could start a small buisiness refoaming all the model 3's and 1 1/2's they could like.

That they were connected with Omega is another surprise, but, now that I've looked at the woofers, it makes sense.

The only correction (or maybe addition) to the article I would make is that the model 3's are ported enclosures.

thunderbird3370
07-02-2005, 09:37 AM
The early DLK's, used cloth acordian surrounds, on the 2's and 3'sand 4's had two twelve inch woofers, anything 8 inches or smaller had butyl rubber surounds, but in DLK's later modeles had foam surround--wich I thaught was a big mistake in there part--they just went downhill in quality on their last few years in production! I own the early 3's and 1-1/2's since new from minneapolis at schaack electronics, and let me tell you--with my marantz 2385 reciever---i've never heard any speakers outperform these!--I LOVE THESE SPEAKERS!!!any way--from the model 1-1/2's and down--those models are sealed! so unscrew the woofer on your 1's and carefully pry them out so you dont chip the baffle--they should come out for ya! good luck on your refoam! :yes: :banana: the bird

thunderbird3370
07-02-2005, 09:46 AM
Hi,

I am trying to figure out the best way to replace the foam surrounds on my DLK Series 4 speakers. I'm not sure how to remove the woofers to replace the foam, or where the best place is to find a good replacement foam kit for theses speakers.

Anyone familiar with these???

Thanks

Paul
Those model 4's are sweet!!---take the screws off of the woofers, and carefully pry so you dont ruin those beautifull cabinets--it's very common the woofers stick, because all DLK's have a gasket material,behind the woofer, good luck paul--I am curious as to know? do your model 4's have the marble tops? or are they the later ones with out marble tops--i'm assuming the later because of the foam surround woofers. the bird

thunderbird3370
07-02-2005, 09:55 AM
If anyone is curious as to the awsumb sound of DLK's, there are a pair of model 2's and a pair of 1-1/2's for sale on e-bay! I dont know how to link but look under speakers and subwoofers-then fill in the DLK name then they should popo up! the bird

prnewman
07-02-2005, 10:52 AM
Wow! Thanks for all the great replies. These Modle 4's have the foam surrounds and they also have the marble top. There don't appear to be any screws around the woofer. There is some sort of seal around the rim though, that looks almost like electrical tape. These are not my speakers. They belong to the CEO of my company here in Minnesota, so I don't want to do anything wrong here. Does the "electrical tape" peel off to reveal screws? Everything else seems to be sealed. Even without the foam surrounds, you can tell these speakers are amazing.

Any details on removing the two woofers would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

prnewman
07-02-2005, 11:04 AM
Hey Eilati, I own the same model 1 DLK's. here is some info on them someone posted for me on another site......

Paul, I have not see the 4's but I have heard the 3's. very nice, you might want to check wooferrepair.com.

I was an employee of DLK Speakers. I started working there in 1972 my employee number was (1). The company was a wholly owned subsidiary of Schaak Electronics based in Minneapolis MN.
RC (not the author of the above)

I saw this post too. Very informative. Now if I could only find a way to contact this employee #1, I'd be set!

thunderbird3370
07-02-2005, 11:25 AM
With new surounds--those model 4's are very thunderous and sweet sounding! those were 1500.00 before minnesota taxes when new in the 70's, thats a lot of money back then!--that seal is like a double sided sticky foam like material,they are very hard to get out--be very carefull and pry--or if you feel its to much for you--"they are WELL worth to have a qualified tech do-it for you, and yes they do have the material around the outisde, the screws are underneath it---it's been so many years since i've seen the 4's--DLK was big on sealed enclosers(TIGHT)I believe the outer ring covering the screws is a thin soft plastic ring wich was used to hide the scews for cosmetics---if you take it off it will have to be reglued,those are on there so good that you may have trouble getting them off, with out ruining the suround,(they need new surounds anyway)--like i said if it's to much have someone look at them---Are they for sale :naughty: good luck my friend