View Full Version : Audio Technica SLT96E

kenwood61
04-22-2008, 08:53 PM
I have recently been blessed with a Technics SL-Q200 for my son who wants to get into vinyl. Actually, he already has about 5 LPs to play.

Currently there is an Audio Technica SLT96E p-mount cartridge, without stylus. I notice the replacement stylus about about $45.

My son is 13 going on 18, and I don't want to put a cartridge that's overkill. Frankly, I don't have $45 to get the new stylus, but the cartridge looks like it's in good condition.

Here's my question: What are my best options for about $25 for this table?

Is there a different stylus that will work fine, or should I consider a different cartridge? I doubt my son has developed a sophisticated level of hearing, so as long as it plays rock for him, he'll be extremely happy!

SIDE NOTE: I hooked up the turntable to make sure it powers up, etc. This is mated to a Kenwood KR-4070 and there is a ground connector on the back side, but the icon looks like an antenna . . . in fact it's right next to the antenna connectors. Is this the ground for the turntable? If so, the table hummed, but I assume that's because there is no stylus in the cartridge . . .

SA-708
04-22-2008, 09:22 PM
I've got a pair of carts from that family of AT p-mounts. At the low end, the ATN102EP (grey or green) or ATN112EP (light blue) are available and around your price range. I've got an ATN102EP but have not really tried it out, using higher-end styluses on my SL-Q5 linear tracker. I really like the sound of mine, and think it would be worth getting a new stylus instead of trying to get a new cartridge.

hakaplan
04-22-2008, 09:30 PM
Just for reference, the cartridge is a clone of the AT132EP, quite decent.

Here is the least expensive stylus for the cartridge. With shipping it should come to $25 and from Japan you should receive it pretty fast. Their quality is excellent. Many members, including myself, have patronized them.

http://www.export-japan.com/marketing/stylus/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=98

Alternately, the AT92E cartridge available from a dealer on ebay with shipping comes to $24. I have a clone of this cartridge and it is very good. I believe that some members have purchased from that dealer with no problems.

Hard to make a decision for you; ultimately it depends on the method of purchase with which you feel more comfortable.

Not sure about the ground post--I have seen some ground symbols that look like antennae. I'd wait until you have a working cartridge to determine that.

kenwood61
04-22-2008, 09:31 PM
I'll keep that in mind. I have just over a month to get a cartridge so it might be worth saving on the side. I don't want to get something not good and later kick myself :)

kenwood61
04-22-2008, 09:37 PM
At this point, I want to make the most cost effective decision. I've heard of Jico and certainly don't mind waiting. I'll take a look. I'd like to see what the "proper" replacement costs. I may just wait a few weeks and save up.