View Full Version : Belt for Thorens TD-180 ??

redcoates7
04-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Hi everyone-

Can't seem to find the manual for my Thorens TD180MKii and I can't find ANY information about a eplacement belt...anyone know what size the belt is for this 'table?

Thanks!

Jeff

softmachine
04-25-2008, 01:08 PM
try here:

http://www.turntablebasics.com/belts/thorens.html

or here:

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=LG&Category_Code=T1

Maybe contact the site owners first and measure the old belt, I don't know of a TD180 MKII. Could you post a picture?

Joey1127
04-25-2008, 03:56 PM
Contact Acoustic Sounds as they are an AUTORIZED THORENS Dealer and Parts provider (http://store.acousticsounds.com/search_results.cfm). You want to get the correct OEM belt for the TD-180 or you may have some issues with speed stability. I had a TD-180 a while back and replaced the belt with an aftermarket...I was sorry to say the least. The Belts for the Thorens are a tad $$$, but so are Thorens tables. The TD-180 get's a lot of flack, but I enjoyed mine quite well!

redcoates7
04-28-2008, 01:42 PM
Thanks for all the help guys!

redcoates7
05-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Allright, finally got aroun to cvalling Acoustic Sounds, and Chuck was VERY helpful...so nice to be able to speak to a knowlegeable tech!

Anyway, he said the standard belt is 510mm, while the TD-180 seems to want a 485mm belt. I've ordered a replacement from lpgear.com and will let y'all know when it arrives...

This is an awful lot of work to get a pretty average TT back up and running!

redcoates7
05-09-2008, 05:59 PM
just received the replacement belts from lpgear.com and they work perfectly. Just the right size...

Time to go mount a cartridge and listen to some rekkids ;)

doasmarx
11-07-2008, 03:19 AM
hi this is a bit off topic to the title of the thread but since this is a just minor problem regarding Thorens TD 180 im hesitant creating another thread. What i would like to know is is this particular model has a VTA(height adjustment for the tonearm) cause i notice that it's leaning forward when im playing it and im used to SL1200 where you can level the tonearm by adjusting the tonearm height.

thanks

Joey1127
11-07-2008, 10:33 AM
hi this is a bit off topic to the title of the thread but since this is a just minor problem regarding Thorens TD 180 im hesitant creating another thread. What i would like to know is is this particular model has a VTA(height adjustment for the tonearm) cause i notice that it's leaning forward when im playing it and im used to SL1200 where you can level the tonearm by adjusting the tonearm height.

thanks

That's right...the VTA on both the TD-180 and the TD-280 Mk IV (which I still have) is very TAIL UP to say the least. The TD-180 table was supplied with a 2mm spacer that would allow you to compensate for that. However, those decks were sold with carts and idealy, Thorens did not see people needing to change or wanting to change the cart (they were wrong). You may need to find a 2mm or 3mm Thorens spacer for the TD-180. I ran an Audio-Technica AT12Sa on my TD-180 and used the Thorens 3mm spacer and it was just right. Still slightly tail up, but that is the way that table was designed. BTW, the spacer goes between the cart and the headshell as there is no VTA adjustment on this table.

On a side note, while the TD-180 had some electronics problems that would cause speed issues, I think it is a GREAT sounding deck and the arm is not half bad if you set it up properly. Also, the auto return feature is nice. The TD-280 Mk IV, I changed the arm to a REGA RB-250 and found that table to be a diamond in the rough for sure.

Enjoy

redcoates7
11-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Bum deal about the spacer...Mine came with a factory installed Stanton 500 cart IIRC which has long since been replaced. Looks like I need to find a spacer...unless the Grado 78 rpm cart/stylus is a bit taller than the original cart was...

rooster18
11-10-2008, 11:17 PM
Just a note, here. I ordered a belt for my Thorens TD125MKII from TurntableBasics, and it was about twice as heavy, or more, and was so tight it wanted to bend the spindle on my motor. It in no way resembled the original belt from my old Thorens.

I ended up getting one from Q Audio, and it was perfect, even down to a "Thorens" logo printed on the belt; it was lightweight and elastic, just as the original was intended to be. Save your money, and buy the right one the first time. Here's the link:

http://www.quadio.com

rooster.