View Full Version : Pioneer HPM 1500??

Fishstink
05-11-2008, 03:28 PM
Not familiar with the HPM series but I see some people love them. Can anyone tell be about the 1500's. I may have a chance to get a pair with all original drivers except the 15" drivers. They have been replaced with top of the line RS drivers. Are these speakers any good and anyone know what I should pay for them without getting shafted? They look really nice with tweeters that light up. He said they are 94db, which might accomodate some tube amps. Is he correct? Thanks for any info on these.

HomerJSimpson
05-11-2008, 03:35 PM
Not familiar with the HPM series but I see some people love them. Can anyone tell be about the 1500's. I may have a chance to get a pair with all original drivers except the 15" drivers. They have been replaced with top of the line RS drivers. Are these speakers any good and anyone know what I should pay for them without getting shafted? They look really nice with tweeters that light up. He said they are 94db, which might accomodate some tube amps. Is he correct? Thanks for any info on these.

Without OEM woofers, I would not pay too much. Still worth getting. I don't think the tweeters light up, unless they have been modified.

Prolly the best of the HPM line...

dc270
05-11-2008, 04:57 PM
With non original woofers I would be wary to pay too much- I think the original were the carbon graphite type which are extremely rare in opperational condition! Tweeters light up too? As far as I ever knew Radio Shack offered only a mid-fi 15" woofer- there are much better ones out there!
DC

a1bil
05-28-2008, 11:34 PM
Bought my HPM 1500's in 1978, still have them today. Tweeters DO NOT light up, someone must have modified them. The only thing I had to do was refoam the woofers. after 30 yrs something had to give.

thedelihaus
05-28-2008, 11:45 PM
Were the HPM 1500 woofers Watkins-style dual voice coil with a graphite cone?

The later series, HSS or DSS (one or the other I believe) used a 12" graphite cone dual voice coil Watkins style woofer.

The cones are fragile, being graphite.

Dunno if the 1500 used a 15" version of this woofer.

If so, the RS woofers are a far cry from 'em.

And if just a standard 15" driver with graphite cone, I still think the RS woofer will fall short.

whoaru99
05-29-2008, 06:44 AM
I have a pair of HPM 1500 woofers that need refoaming, and one has a small crack in the very delicate cone.

They do not have dual voice coils.

Link to my "Considering best offers" (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=161706&highlight=hpm+1500) ad. It's in barter town so I'm not sure the link will work if you're not a subscriber.

ShaneC
05-29-2008, 07:33 AM
I'm not positive, but I think the 1500's used the same woofer as the 1100's.

If that's the case, they're hard to come by. I believe when Pioneer still made them, the cost was something like $350ish per driver. Though I did just see a pair sell on e-b*y for like $130ish. They just come few and far between.

If the price is right, and everything else is in good shape...I'd deffinatly consider it.

88gibson
05-29-2008, 08:04 AM
For starters the hpm-1500's are the european version of the hpm-150. Many were sold through military bases overseas. The 1500 is modular in design allowing it to be disassembled and shipped easier. A carbon-paper mix is used in the construction of the hpm-1500's woofer. On the top of the hpm-1500 is a super tweeter with a case constructed of clear plastic. Unless these are modified, these do not light up! The 1100 does not share the same woofer, for the the 1100's is graphite. If you like the fat west coast sound of a Jbl speaker you'll love the Hpm-1500. Talk the seller down in price, for without the original drivers it's just not an hpm-1500! I would buy the replacemnet drivers up for sale from user whoaru99. You would then have yourself a beautiful piece of audio history. I've heard better speakers, but you'll never see me sell mine (I own two pairs) There is just something special about them.

Derek

thedelihaus
05-29-2008, 09:37 AM
I have a pair of HPM 1500 woofers that need refoaming, and one has a small crack in the very delicate cone.

They do not have dual voice coils.

Link to my "Considering best offers" (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=161706&highlight=hpm+1500) ad. It's in barter town so I'm not sure the link will work if you're not a subscriber.

These cracks can be relatively easily fixed and the woofer cone will remain stable. I've seen it done on at least two woofers with 100% success.

For starters the hpm-1500's are the european version of the hpm-150. Many were sold through military bases overseas. The 1500 is modular in design allowing it to be disassembled and shipped easier. A carbon-paper mix is used in the construction of the hpm-1500's woofer. On the top of the hpm-1500 is a super tweeter with a case constructed of clear plastic. Unless these are modified, these do not light up! The 1100 does not share the same woofer, for the the 1100's is graphite. If you like the fat west coast sound of a Jbl speaker you'll love the Hpm-1500. Talk the seller down in price, for without the original drivers it's just not an hpm-1500! I would buy the replacemnet drivers up for sale from user whoaru99. You would then have yourself a beautiful piece of audio history. I've heard better speakers, but you'll never see me sell mine (I own two pairs) There is just something special about them.

Derek

I've heard Derek's 1500s. While not a fan of the HPM 100s or JBL Century L100s (I just dig a different approach to speakers), the 1500 was to myt liking. It's a very nice speaker that sounds very nice.

Don't get hosed on price, and sell off those RS woofers.

Put in the correct woofers, and have an outstanding speaker.

By the way, I had some 12" woofers of that graphite material and shipped 'em halfway across the country with success. Smart packing will help get 'em to you in one piece. Pay extra to have 'em , zip-tied or bolted together, wrapped in industrial thickness trash bags, and then using triple-expanding house insulation, entomb them in a box. Then place that box in another that's lined with foam sheets.