View Full Version : M3u playlists- easiest way to make them?

riverrat
05-14-2008, 09:05 AM
I use Exact Audio Copy to make FLAC files. EAC also builds an M3u playlist file for each album.

What is the easiest way to make my own custom M3u playlists? (I'm currently using Foobar 2000 as my playback utility, and Brrrn to make CDRs.)

Thanks in advance for any tips!

EDIT: Has anyone tried MediaMonkey? It looks as if that might be good freeware to make playlists.

Since I posted, I've learned that M3u is actually a Winamp playlist file type that is becoming more ubiquitous and widely supported. I am really hoping to choose a playlist file type that will be widely supported in the future and not some proprietary Apple or Microsoft type that becomes obsolete...

Sansui Louie
05-14-2008, 02:24 PM
I *thinK* it's just a text file. Try opening one in Notepad.

riverrat
05-15-2008, 08:38 AM
Thanks SL. You are correct sir.

With enough time to figure it out I could probably build playlists from scratch using Notepad. But I see that there are various types of freeware - text editors and music library managers - that apparently allow "drag and drop" creation of playlists that can be saved as M3u files. I was hoping to get suggestions on some of the better (i.e. intuitive and easy to use) ones. But this may be one of those "too retarded to even warrant a response" questions that I come up with sometimes regarding technology. I'm pretty remedial with computer stuff..

I'm thinking of giving Mediamonkey (http://www.mediamonkey.com/) a try...

jpdylon
05-15-2008, 09:38 AM
winamp is pretty easy to use and saves playlists in that format.

ScramMan2
05-15-2008, 11:41 AM
It is just an ascii text file. Can easily be edited.

I use a program that replaces Windows Explorer, PowerDesk, it builds them on the fly after you select the files you want to have in your playlist. Try that with a MickeySoft product.

Stanga
05-15-2008, 01:00 PM
I'm thinking of giving Mediamonkey (http://www.mediamonkey.com/) a try...
Good man. Forget the rest of the pack. I tried just about everything out there, but MM was king.

riverrat
05-16-2008, 03:31 AM
Good man. Forget the rest of the pack. I tried just about everything out there, but MM was king.

Yup, tried it out, just what I was looking for.