View Full Version : Klipsch 3.2 opinions wanted !

Army
04-09-2004, 10:12 AM
Hi All

I'm thinking about purchasing a pair of mint condition Klipsch 3.2's

I get to give em a test drive this afternoon with my receiver.

Anybody own a pair ?

Thoughts good / bad / indifferent etc... ?

The guy wants 250 clams for em. Thought I'd like to try something with horns....

Please let me know what ya think. :dunno:

Thanks

Army

DAGLJAM6
04-09-2004, 11:02 AM
I've got a pair of KG2's (a little earlier and smaller ) that are pretty impressive for most moderate listening.
Very good for acoustic instruments and most light to medium
"layered" music (jazz,blues,folk and lighter rock)
Very clear and defined presentation even for mine being 2ways.
You should be pleased with your set.

Dave

Army
04-09-2004, 11:15 AM
Thanks Dave !

I am wondering as to the power handling of the 3.2's

They say they can handle 65watts continuous with a peak of 325 watts.

Concerned about the possibly of blowing them ?

Since I have the capability of using 220 watts Which would be stupid loud. But once in awhile when the SO isn't home. The kids and I have been known to crank up the volume a bit over 65 watts...

Any thoughts...... Anyone ?????
Is this a good buy or a goodbye :dunno:

Thanks
Army

NOSValves
04-09-2004, 11:47 AM
Well the Klipsch speaker line in general do not require huge wattage to play at high volume. So as long as your not careless and push them to extreme levels (I'm talking ear damage levels) you will never hurt them. In fact you can damage speakers just as easy with to little wattage with extreme clipping from over driving a low watt amp as you can from excessive wattage presented to the speaker froma high powered amp. Its the user that and miss use of gear that blow speakers not the wattage rating of a amp.

Craig

Kenny
04-09-2004, 12:08 PM
I also have the KG2's, I use em with tubes,in a secondary workshop system,and although I havent heard the bigger ones, most reviews I have read said the smaller ones were the very best of that particular bunch,lively and entertaining, but not entirely accurrate....Mine are 4 ohm, I also used them as Home theatre rears when I was into that....I think but am not entirely sure there were issures with the foam surrounds rotting out on them,mine have the rubber surrounds..I think its great you get to test drive them first,as they may sound very good with your reciever....if you can check out wwww.klipsch.com and see what the Klipsch nuts have to say about them..Good Luck!!! Happy Easter!!...Enjoy Your Music...Kenny

Army
04-09-2004, 12:09 PM
Thanks Craig

That helps.

I just found that klipsch has there own forum. I dug a few more tidbits of wisdom there.

That and I found and just called a dealer here in town. Everyone pretty much agrees.

The Dealer told me that to blow the 3.2's you'd be hearing some major distortion long before they'd actually blow.
He also said that the 65 watt rating was pretty much underrated. They would handle more. But would be playing sooo loud I'd go deaf before there would be a problem.
I was more concerned about when the kids have a party and someone does the HOW LOUD will this thing go trick. When I'm not home. Shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks

Army

Reel 2 Reel
04-09-2004, 02:05 PM
Army...you can never go wrong with Klipsch...(a little bias there!!)...

I have heard the Kg-1's all the way up to the mighty K-Horns..and was impressed every time....thats why I own a pair (Fortes').......when the hair on the back of your neck stands up ...then you know you found the $#!%........and most of the Heritige line can do that.....

Ask Botrytis for a review.....he's heard my Fortes'.........(hopefully its a good one!!)

Like Craig said ...as long as your power is clean ..you can throw just about anything at them...you do more damage to a loudspeaker with low power at high levels... than with high,clean power....

After you give them a test drive...you'll be bringing them home..and enjoying them....

Also if you dig deep enough ...you'll probly see some posts by me on the Klipsch form also...I was there, before I was here....but here is 'lots' better....:D

Army
04-19-2004, 09:35 AM
Hey Gary

Been traveling for work lately. Didn't get a chance to respond about the Klipsch 3.2's.

Well I gave them a quick test before I left last week. They sounded very good to me. So I'm a keep'in em.

They have very good sound quality especailly in the high range. But were lacking a little in the bass. I did go to a local audio shop to see if I could hear the Heritage series. But no luck there. I did listen to the Reference series. And for $1000 bucks found a pair that sounded about the same as the 3.2's but with a better bass sound.

I put a pair of old Marantz speakers that I just refoamed in the system to see how they would sound with the 3.2's. And low and behold I found the sweet spot ! The Marantz have very good bass and pretty good midrange. So they sound just awesome together.
Over the weekend just for fun I looked at a pair of B&W speakers at another local shop. And for $1250 a pair they were sweet ! But I still like the combination I have at home better. Less money still great sound. I just can't see spending that kind of money yet. I'd like to find a pair of speakers that will do what the Klipsch / Marantz combo can. But haven't heard any yet that can compare.

So thats my story and I'm sticking too it :D

Talk at Ya'll in another week... Work and travel is a call'in :zoom:

Have a good one All !

Army

LBPete
06-04-2005, 12:12 AM
Hey Army,
How did the KG 3.2s work out? I picked up a pair today at a swap meet. Cabnets are a little rough but they sound pretty good to me.

- Pete

jt1stcav
06-05-2005, 09:06 AM
My brother had a pair of mint KG 3.2s for a short time...he didn't care for the "in-your-face" horn presentation, but driven with his 6V6-based tube amp I thought they sounded sweet (I'm a Cornwall owner so I love horns)! If I had a use for them I would've bought 'em from him...an eBayer is the lucky owner now.

LBPete
06-05-2005, 10:51 AM
Yeah, they are on the bright side but that registers in my tone-deaf ears so I like them. I canít get over how efficient they are. Iíve got them hooked up to a 9090DB and at reasonably loud listening levels, the watt meters donít even hit 0.05 watts. The needles barely move off the peg. Iím going to hang on to them to use if I ever stumble into tube gear.

- Pete

Rockmonton
06-05-2005, 02:39 PM
hmm, i've got the 4.2's i find they need a fair bit of power to really get singing, but are pretty nice, i use them to fill in the bottom octaves with my 604's

Army
06-07-2005, 06:44 PM
Hey Army,
How did the KG 3.2s work out? I picked up a pair today at a swap meet. Cabnets are a little rough but they sound pretty good to me.

- Pete

Hi Pete

Sorry I couldn't reply to this the other day, I've been locked out due to IP address issues :sigh:

Well my KG 3.2's are sitting in the basement, although I liked the sound of these coupled with the Klipsch 12" sub, I changed them out from my main system. After I got the AR-9LS's up and cooking :thmbsp:
The Klipsch setup was my favorite, second only to the AR's. At the time I was looking for the real deal 2 channel setup and found what I like. I sold the sub and will sometime sell off the 3.2's only because I just have too many speakers around here.
If you didn't get the stands that are made for these, I highly recommend them, they angle the speakers up at a 10 - 15 degree's. Which I think helps there sound stage quite a bit :yes:

LBPete
06-07-2005, 10:12 PM
Army,
I figured you were locked out. I don't have the stands but I see that the bottoms of the speakers have what look like threaded holes. That provides a lot of possibilities. The AR9s are certainly in another league so I understand the swap.

- Pete

Army
06-07-2005, 10:28 PM
Army,
I figured you were locked out. I don't have the stands but I see that the bottoms of the speakers have what look like threaded holes. That provides a lot of possibilities. The AR9s are certainly in another league so I understand the swap.

- Pete

Not really Pete, as far as in another league :no:

With the klipsch sub, which I wish wouldn't have sold. The 3.2's were IMHO on pair. Damn good sounding, only needing a little help in the bottom end.

Locked out was a bummer :sigh:

seabisquit2
08-17-2008, 08:33 PM
I have a pair of KG 3.2's that are very impressive. I paid 15.00 for the pair at a goodwill store near downtown Atlanta. I had them hooked to my marantz 1200 amp and itunes on my mac G5 computer. UNREAL!!! That was 5 years ago. I am now listening to them with my new found 2215B, 2220B, 2238, all were 20.00 each from CL vendor. Only issue I have is the bass has recently sounded muffled. I took them off of the 2238 and hooked them to my NAD AV-716 and they still do not sound as good as they did with the 1200.
Could I have done some damage to them using the low wattage???
I hope not because these are really sweet sounding. They are not as smooth as my JBL 4311B Studio monitors, that I have owned for 27 years, but a good competitor.

karlo
08-17-2008, 08:56 PM
$250 , for kg3.2's ? that's a bit steep from my perspective , but it depends upon
where you live and what's available . good sounding speakers; lively and assertive.
if they're as mint as you say , $250 might be acceptable... around Atlanta ,though,
more like $100 or $150 . in iowa......?

westend
08-17-2008, 09:10 PM
If the surrounds are in good shape and there isn't any leak in the cabinet, the next place I would look is the crossover network. A bad cap or loose connection might be your problem.

seabisquit2
08-17-2008, 09:15 PM
Thank You westend,
I am hoping a loose connection because cabinets are in mint condition. I will look into this in the morning and reply.
Thanks,
Rick

Rock6x
08-17-2008, 09:24 PM
Hi seabisquit2 ~

I'm in Marietta GA. I have yet to see much that was worth buying in the way of speakers at the GWs around here. In fact, the last time I went into my local GW store, they had 0 speakers. Nothing. Nada. I didn't ask, but it looked like they had gotten out of the business altogether. :( About the only thing I saw in there of any real name recognition before that were some Realistics and Kenwoods. But I was just a-browsin' that day & didn't know much about either pair.

Where was the one you went to near downtown Atlanta? Do you remember?

seabisquit2
08-17-2008, 09:37 PM
The surrounds are rubber and in great shape. I went ahead and took the woofer out and checked connections. Nothing appears to be loose. How would I tell if the crossover is going bad??

Thanks

seabisquit2
08-17-2008, 09:43 PM
I do not remember Rock, it has been about 5~6 years ago. I do frequent any and all that I come across for this reason. If anything of value comes in, it is usually swept up fairly quickly. There are trolls like me that go in everyday for that purpose.

karlo
08-17-2008, 09:43 PM
r6, at the marietta GW , ( take a left off 41 at the chicken ,go under i75 , shopping center on left) i've bought :

cerwin vega d-3's
pinnacle 8" 2 ways
paradigm 8" 2 ways
pioneer hpm-100's
mirage 1.0's
Zenith allegro 3000's
harman kardon 330c
bic changer
garrard zero 100
pioneer a/v receiver
technics receiver

that's in the last 2 years, and i've only gone there about 10-15 times.
and i live 100 miles away! that's been a great store. there used to be another thrift
right next door, a bit more expensive , but they had some AWESOME stuff....

a word of advice...find out the southern polytech semester changes and frequent
the stores then. college students throw away tons of good gear when they have to go
back home.

Army
08-18-2008, 07:50 PM
$250 , for kg3.2's ? that's a bit steep from my perspective , but it depends upon
where you live and what's available . good sounding speakers; lively and assertive.
if they're as mint as you say , $250 might be acceptable... around Atlanta ,though,
more like $100 or $150 . in iowa......?

LOL Someone has dug up a very old thread :D

When I bought the 3.2's they weren't all that old and were in mint condition, so at the time the price wasn't all that bad. Funny to read this old thread and know how much my system has changed since then. The speaker progression since has been AR-9LS then to Infinity RS-2.5 and now Infinity RS-4.5 once the Infinities came home they have never left, except the 2.5's have made two appearances at AKfest06 and AKfest08 :thmbsp:

Army
08-18-2008, 07:54 PM
The surrounds are rubber and in great shape. I went ahead and took the woofer out and checked connections. Nothing appears to be loose. How would I tell if the crossover is going bad??

Thanks

A couple of ideas would be if one speaker plays ok then switch the woofers. Or if both speakers don't sound right pull the woofers and check with a multimeter IIRC they are 6Ω speakers so they should read around 4.5Ω to 5Ω if they don't then there is a voice coil issue. If they check out then your crossover probably will need new caps.

seabisquit2
08-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Thanks Army,
I will check these tonight when I get home and report back. I really like these speakers and they seem to work well with the 2238. If in fact the crossovers are bad, would it not make since to replace the crossovers? And if I were to go that route, is there a new line of crossovers that would work with my KG 3.2's?

cableguy
08-19-2008, 03:30 PM
I have a pair of 3.2's....I like them very much, very revealing speakers...

Bill

seabisquit2
08-19-2008, 07:03 PM
I am going to pull my crossovers and rebuild them thru the advice of a well known klipsch owner. His advice is very credible based on what I have read and the results is supposed to be surprising! I will document my adventure and share with the members here. I am very excited by what I read today and this should be a simple rebuild, electronically wise. We'll see

Rick

cableguy
08-20-2008, 06:43 PM
Inspired by this thread I hooked the Ol' 3.2's up this evening.....they are such a sweet speaker system.

Bill

seabisquit2
08-20-2008, 08:44 PM
It appears that my crossovers may need replacing or re-caped. I have been referred to Daytons. Is this the best there is?

BuckNaked
08-22-2008, 03:38 PM
After having the 3.2's dominate my home theater setup (sw10II, Kg2.2 surrounds and 2.2v center) I finally broke down and swapped in the Heresy's and swapped the 3.2's for a Thorens TD160 with a nos Ortofon VMS20e. I think I made out okay, but 4 years with the 3.2's, hard to let them go, just no more room for everything. I still have the rest of the HT setup, and a couple odd pairs from the KG series stored. (1.2, 1.5, 3.5).
Gone but not forgotten (plus i can go hear them whenever i want)

Rock6x
08-23-2008, 11:31 PM
r6, at the marietta GW , ( take a left off 41 at the chicken ,go under i75 , shopping center on left) i've bought :

cerwin vega d-3's
pinnacle 8" 2 ways
paradigm 8" 2 ways
pioneer hpm-100's
mirage 1.0's
Zenith allegro 3000's
harman kardon 330c
bic changer
garrard zero 100
pioneer a/v receiver
technics receiver

that's in the last 2 years, and i've only gone there about 10-15 times.
and i live 100 miles away! that's been a great store. there used to be another thrift
right next door, a bit more expensive , but they had some AWESOME stuff....

a word of advice...find out the southern polytech semester changes and frequent
the stores then. college students throw away tons of good gear when they have to go
back home.

THAT'S the store nearest to my house! And I think they have gone out of the audio biz for the most part. :tears: I mean, have you EVER gone in there and found nothing other than clock radios, PC monitors, and curling irons? That was the gist of it last time I went in.... maybe 2 weeks ago. All the vinyl - gone (no big loss there unless you're into gospel & christmas music). NO stereo equipment whatsoever!! I don't know if they mix it up from time to time, but I was seriously disappointed.

Most of the time when I've gone in there, I've only seen the crappy stuff, although they did have some KLH speakers I was thinking about getting once, and never did. But there was a good bit of it. Now? Nada.

EDIT: btw, yes I remember that store next door. Was lusting after some JBLs in there for the longest, but couldn't scrape up the funds before they were gone. And yep, they DID have a ton of much better quality stuff in there.