View Full Version : help with butyl rubber surround

dragon
10-02-2008, 02:45 PM
I need some help or advise about gluing a butyl rubber surround. I've done dozens of foam surrounds and a few cloth surrounds but only one butyl rubber surround and it was not good. I was attempting to repair a JBL woofer that was a coated poly 6.5" speaker. I used Aleene's Tacky Glue and it wrinkled up really bad.
After some online research I'm guessing I should have used a primer or a prep of some kind. Other DIYer say acetone or isopropyl alcohol will work. Are there products out there made for this purpose?
I have a Infinity poly woofer that needs new foam and Id like to avoid the same results as last time. Any advise? :scratch2:

sealy
10-02-2008, 04:03 PM
I would try bicycle tube patch glue for the rubber surrounds. It sets up quickly, but not so quickly you can't reposition the item being glued and it's obviously flexible if it's intended use is tire tubes. Regarding the foam surrounds, I get my adhesive from My Audio Addiction. They have a sight on the web. It is a white acrylic paste glue that is easy to apply and virtually disappears when it dries, so sloppy work won't be obviously visible. I won't use anything else.

dragon
10-02-2008, 04:25 PM
Inner tube glue? Very cleaver but I have to ask...wat dat on yo head?

sealy
10-02-2008, 05:03 PM
Inner tube glue? Very cleaver but I have to ask...wat dat on yo head?
Pita bread. I wasn't going to look like that stupid rabbit with the pancakes on his head. Much more dignified.

dragon
10-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Pita bread. I wasn't going to look like that stupid rabbit with the pancakes on his head. Much more dignified.

Maybe I'll try tortillas. :scratch2:

karlo
10-02-2008, 06:07 PM
"I would try bicycle tube patch glue for the rubber "

bike patch glue is not glue, but a vulcanizing solvent that won't do anything but dissolve
tubes and patches together. it will probably do nothing at all , or turn your expensive
rubbers into slime.

i've reconed Vifa 8" speakers , and a 6" pair of Blaupunkt woofers ,redone 10" Avid woofers ...
using Weldwood contact cement . contact cement is meant to be applied , let dry,
then applied together ....that doesn't leave any room for tweaking...so... i apply to
the frame ,let dry . then apply a thin layer to the surround , which curls a bit , letting it set up most of the way...then apply another thin coat to the frame to give
some leeway to final positioning . i use a disposable brush to get an even coat .

you will have to pinch a few wrinkles out of it while it's drying , but it works very well and will not let go.
good luck.

dragon
10-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Your right about Weldwood setting up fast. I've used it on other things too.

sealy
10-02-2008, 07:39 PM
"I would try bicycle tube patch glue for the rubber "

bike patch glue is not glue, but a vulcanizing solvent that won't do anything but dissolve
tubes and patches together. it will probably do nothing at all , or turn your expensive
rubbers into slime.

i've reconed Vifa 8" speakers , and a 6" pair of Blaupunkt woofers ,redone 10" Avid woofers ...
using Weldwood contact cement . contact cement is meant to be applied , let dry,
then applied together ....that doesn't leave any room for tweaking...so... i apply to
the frame ,let dry . then apply a thin layer to the surround , which curls a bit , letting it set up most of the way...then apply another thin coat to the frame to give
some leeway to final positioning . i use a disposable brush to get an even coat .

you will have to pinch a few wrinkles out of it while it's drying , but it works very well and will not let go.
good luck.There's a joke in that second paragraph, but I will refrain.

dragon
10-02-2008, 10:57 PM
There's a joke in that second paragraph, but I will refrain.

LOL, :thmbsp: you are one sick individual. I like that. :banana:

karlo
10-02-2008, 11:00 PM
well, lemme tell you , nothing worse to a speaker repairman than slimy
rubbers , after an expensive foamjob .

they'll usually refuse the work , and i don't blame them for not wanting to
clean up someone else's mess. :nono:

DENNYDOG
10-02-2008, 11:29 PM
I have used the same glue that came with foam surrounds to glue butyl rubber surrounds with no problems.

I have also used the same glue on some yamaha's that I did for my brother that had a poly woofer with excellent results.

I'm not sure if the glue the kits come with is the same as Aleene's Tacky Glue.

dragon
10-03-2008, 04:01 AM
The JBL speaker that I had a problem with actual had a coating of some kind on it. Looked like that "Wet Look" stuff that PE sells but it was factory not added on. The speaker was JBL Model J900MV.
I do know that WVS in Fort Wayne (www.recone.com) sells a product called poly prep and I though maybe somebody here could tell me about a simpler, less expensive method or product.

gearhound
10-03-2008, 08:13 AM
Would not a thin coat of RTV work??

Steve

soundmotor
10-03-2008, 11:34 AM

Yes it will, quite nicely too as does cyanoacrylate i.e. "super glue".

GordonW
10-03-2008, 11:39 AM

Steve

Silicone-based "adhesives" are fine, as long as you NEVER want to be able to work on the driver again EVER.

NOTHING will stick to the stuff, once it's cured... so, any subsequent repairs will be SOL...

Regards,
Gordon.

dragon
10-03-2008, 01:34 PM
I don't know what recone.com sells but it's a lot more than I could use in it's one year shelf life. So super glue sounds like the best advise so far.