View Full Version : Large Advent vs. AR-5 ?

BridgedToMono
10-09-2008, 03:54 PM
Just to get this out of the way, I'm sure there's information around here somewhere about this, but I can't get the search to welcome 3 digit words, so anyhow...

I currently own and enjoy a pair of original Large Advents that I went through the process of freshening up. They seem to like the moderate-high volumes that I do, roll off smoothly, generally do the job punchilly and don't offend. I've never really listened to the AR's, however.

There's a pair of AR-5's available to me that seem pretty darn decent. (excepting the need for some foams)

I was just wondering how the two comapred, seeing as they're of a similar approach. (albeit 2-way vs 3-way, etc.) Low / high / mid response and whatnot Kind of looking for either "if you like the Advents, you'll Love the AR's!", or opinions to that effect.

They're a bit pricy for a knock-around project, but if they're the bees knees, that's something else. Anyhow, any input would be much appreciated either way... :D

Nat
10-09-2008, 06:02 PM
There are a lot of 'ifs' here, since taste is pretty personal and idiosyncratic, but the AR 5 was often thought to be ARs most balanced speaker back when both the Advent and the 5 were on the market. It was a relatively expensive speaker, and many fewer were sold than the Advent, which was an astonishing deal, or the 3a, which seemed to offer more, at least in terms of specs and low end cut off.
I've never heard both speakers at even close to the same time, so just guessing, but I think that the 5 would probably be better sounding, though it might be harder to drive, both less efficient and a more difficult load. But to me, it appeals strongly on aesthetic and historical grounds, in addition to whatever acoustical value it has. And its rarer than the Advent, so jumping on it while you can might be a good idea. Advents you can always pick up, even if they are not as routinely available at tag sales for under twenty bucks as they used to be, but AR 5s are tough to find -- I've never come across a pair for local sale.

Toasted Almond
10-09-2008, 06:08 PM
The AR-5 is a lot smoother and neutral. I think it is one of the best bang for the buck audio products of all-time. Probably a more accurate low end too. The Advent may have gone deeper, but I doubt with the AR's lack of distortion.

The AR-5 didn't sell as well as it could have, most people opting to go the extra bucks for the 3a. Same thing happened to the AR-90 in the 9's shadow.

BridgedToMono
10-13-2008, 10:06 PM
Thanks, guys...:)

BridgedToMono
10-13-2008, 10:09 PM
I might just still go pick 'em for propriety of the thing.

Nat
10-14-2008, 07:00 AM
Do - you'll be happy.

fotno
10-14-2008, 07:30 AM
The AR-5 may well be the most balanced speaker that AR ever made, and IMO, they do everything quite well. They are a touch less forward than the Advents to my ear, but then I've always thought the Advent tweeter is a smidge harsh.

Blue Shadow
10-14-2008, 10:15 AM
We had both, back in the day. I had the 5s with a TA-2000, Stereo 120 and Mike had the Advents with a 1060. They both sounded very good. We each preferred our own speakers. They did not sound good together especially compared to stacked Advents as there was no synergy in that combination like there is with dual Advents.

That said, it is hard for me to remember the differences in these two as they are both New England speakers. Similar but not the same. I think fotno has it right about the 5 being smoother, though.

joelongwood
10-14-2008, 01:38 PM
The AR-5 is a lot smoother and neutral. I think it is one of the best bang for the buck audio products of all-time. Probably a more accurate low end too. The Advent may have gone deeper, but I doubt with the AR's lack of distortion.
I have two pair of each, and I agree with your assessment wholeheartedly. To my ears, the Advents can sound a bit too forward in the mids, while the AR5s present a more transparent sound. The AR5s might seem a bit bass shy in comparison to the LAs, but when the recording presents low end material, the AR5s go deep and remain tight. I love 'em. :D

bob s
10-15-2008, 09:26 PM
Just found a pair of AR-5's, working !
Both woofers need surrounds, but mids and tweeters are fine. The cabinets have the usual wear, water stains and a few scratches here and there, but ,hey, they are 40 years old, and were (fairly) cheap.
I think I haave a gem here and hope the rehab them soon.

I also love the sound of Advents, I have a pair of original small Advents, also in need of surrounds.....ah only to have the time.

Happy listening.

Bob S