View Full Version : Advent 5002 Speakers

Uncle Rocker
10-11-2008, 01:52 PM
Hello!

I just picked up a pair of Advent 5002s in very nice original condition

I hooked them up to my Denon-775RD receiver, 90 watts, 8 ohms and at low levels they sound very nice. They just don't rock however, even after splicing in a sub-woofer. I've also found they sound much better with CDs/DVDs than vinyl.

I've also got this Yamaha CR-820 reciever and a nice Pioneer SA 7500 II amp. You think either of these might improve the sound? At high levels they sound a little screachy. I'm just not getting rocked. Maybe these are better for jazz/classical.

Any specs on these Advents? I'm guessing about 100 watts?

Thanks in advance and take it easy...

rushfan
10-11-2008, 09:30 PM
Sounds like the crossovers need to be recapped.

Nice speakers, BTW!

x_25
10-11-2008, 09:39 PM
My advents rock out, so it must be something with the crossover. I have baby advents, tiny speakers and they rock. :rockon:

Pavioni
10-12-2008, 08:40 AM
I've had a pair of 5002's since the early 80's, have driven them with receivers and amps from 25wpc to 200wpc in rooms small to large. The 5002's are very neutral speaks, offering fairly deep and tight bass response but without the mid bass bonk of most ported speakers. In fact,when reviewing the 5002's in 1982, Julian Hirsch commented that they had a small dip around 120hz-160hz and recommended at good octave EQ to correct that dip if wanted.

But, I (any many ex-neighbors) can assure you that these speakers do "rock". They are not very efficient by today's standards, but when hooked to my 200wpc amp with some judicious bass EQ they kick ass and crack plaster without distortion.

Uncle Rocker
10-12-2008, 10:13 AM
Thanks all for your responses and advice. I pulled out my classical CDs last night and these Advents sound wonderful. I'm picking up high end I couldn't hear on my old speakers.

Pavioni, exactly! It's the mid-base bonk I am missing.

I am hoping they don't have to be recapped but that might account for the screatchiness. I thought it might be my ears are not used to the detail in the high end. Anyone know if NW Audio Service in Seattle repairs speakers, also?

Lastly, it's difficult nailing down information on these speakers.

Were they produced in 1982?
Did Henry Kloss have a hand in them or are they Jensen's with an Advent badge?
Were they designed for CDs, and is that why the vinyl sounds different than my old speakers?
Anyone have have an owners manual or spec sheet they can share? I can't find the specs!

Sure appreciate the feedback. It's very helpful.

Susurus
10-12-2008, 11:24 AM
I don't remember any CDs before 1981, may be after my 5012/O's were designed. Suspect most speakers back then were still voiced for the best available source material then available; back then the recording engineers almost never properly mixed a CD.

Listen to some Jensens and see if you think they are lower on the phylogenetic scale.

Specs? 50W per 1000ft of floor space?

CucamongaDan
10-12-2008, 01:08 PM
Hey I got some 5002s a couple of months back. Very handsome speakers but I haven't sent for the woofer foams for mine yet so haven't tried them. Could you check what size fuses are in yours as mine are missing the original fuses and holders. Also, maybe a pic of the outer part of the fuse holder assembly?

Thanks,

Dan

cubdog
10-12-2008, 06:14 PM
I like the 5002's much better than the Originals. Give them a chance.

cubdog

ekmanning5
10-12-2008, 06:24 PM
I like the 5002's much better than the Originals. Give them a chance.

cubdog

I agree with you 100%. I picked up a pair earlier this summer, put new surrounds on them, and then promptly unloaded my Original Large Advents.

Susurus
10-12-2008, 08:29 PM
..... I haven't sent for the woofer foams for mine yet so haven't tried them. Could you check what size fuses are in yours as mine are missing the original fuses and holders. Also, maybe a pic of the outer part of the fuse holder assembly?

Thanks,

Dan

Fuse holder outsides shown in one of my pics in this thread (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42460&highlight=bull-nose&page=2)

Hey I don't have them either... no fair. :(

Be sure to get exact matches for the foams or they will not sound right. I got mine from GordonW and they are the ideal match :thmbsp:

ekmanning5
10-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Be sure to get exact matches for the foams or they will not sound right. I got mine from GordonW and they are the ideal match :thmbsp:

Mine came from Gordon as well. :thmbsp:

Uncle Rocker
10-13-2008, 11:17 AM
Okay here are the pics. I was surprised to find at least this fuse covered in foil!

What's that all about?

I was a bit reluctant to unwrap it, but it looks the size of a typical auto fuse.

wank
10-13-2008, 11:30 AM
Somebody blew a fuse and "repaired" it. It would be best to replace both fuses (you can get them at radio shack or walmart, to avoid frying an unprotected tweeter.
That era of Advent sounds really nice, in my opinion. It's a fine tweeter.
Replace the tweeter caps - it's a 10 minute job. I had a couple pairs of 6003s (a 3-way with odd shaped cabinet, couple years younger than the 5002). I liked them, but they didn't get much use, and passed one pair on to a buddy - the other was a gift to my brother. Shortly thereafter one tweeter seemed to lose output. I replaced the caps and was simply astounded at how good they sound. Those electrolytic caps get resistive over time as they dry out (from what I read and hear), and that at least can cut output on the tweeter - my guess is it screws up the frequency response too.

CucamongaDan
10-14-2008, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the picture- that confirms what I thought those were supposed to look like.

I want to know what the original amperage rating of the fuse is supposed to be.

The twist n lock covers to the fuse holder are missing on mine. I couldn't find matching ones (usually they're threaded) other than one from my Sansui 5000A receiver, which that receiver still needs. So I found I had a scrap piece of soft brass tubing that I could fashion into crude fuse covers with a pipe cutter and needle nose plier. They should work, but I haven't tried them yet, as I haven't sent for the foams yet.

thedelihaus
10-14-2008, 12:54 PM
These speakers, in my experience, are ripe and begging for a re-cap. I've owned a few pair, and it was clear they were falling below their potential performance.

I'm not one to support re-capping every speaker I come across, but these, like EPIs, are two I'd spend a few dollars on and re-cap.

For what it's worth, I'm thinking most of this run of speaker suffers from the caps not aging well, but have heard some folks lucking out and not needing to re-cap.

Uncle Rocker
10-14-2008, 05:54 PM
Okay, cruised up to Radio Shack and got some new fuses. They're 1.5 Amp / 250 Volt.

Regarding the re-capping, these speakers sound "screetchy" only at high volumes, low volume they sound fine.

Any links with step by step pics on how to re-cap? I'm a total novice. What would be the best caps to replace in these Advents?

Thanks!