View Full Version : I apologize, I like RogersoundLab Speakers, just got a pair of RSL 2600 Mini Monitors

chasaboo
11-26-2008, 09:22 AM
Previously I had gotten a pair of the RSL Forty and after refoaming and playing around with them a bit became really happy with them. In fact I'm listening to them right now. Fun stuff.

So I bumped into (er, sort of, hunted down more likely) a pair of the 2600 Mini Monitor. They need to be refoamed but I plugged them in after I got them home and am surprised how good they sound with old gooey foam. A very full sound for the size. I'm thinking a great late night speaker if my girlfriend goes to sleep early.

BTW rode with them on the back of my bike 25 miles in rush hour traffic around Los Angeles. That was crazy as I was trying to beat the rains which were fast approaching. Just made it as I pulled into my garage when the first drops hit.

I like the Rogersound Labs speakers and look forward to getting more of them in the future. I realize they're not terribly popular but they call back to a fun time with audio here in California.

kfa888
11-26-2008, 09:49 AM
Looks quality :thmbsp:

thedelihaus
11-26-2008, 10:08 AM
I like sardines on my pizza and find Sandra Bernhardt oddly attractive.

No need to apologize- if it makes you happy, then it's good in my book!

25 miles in rush hour traffic around Los Angeles- nice! I used to ride fixed gear track bike around Boston and Cambridge.

Hope you enjoy them tremendously!

kangatoy
11-26-2008, 11:40 AM
Never apologize for the speakers you like. We all have to find the the sound that pleases our own ears. Each persons hearing, since they are not all perfect pitch, affects how we perceive the sounds that are received by them. I have some hearing loss in the high ranges due to severe ear infections as a child, certain frequencies can drive me nutz, so I tend to prefer to be a bit on the extra bass side of sound.

That being said, I might be prejudiced, RogerSoundLab speakers were the first ones I bought new back in 1979. I bought my complete stereo system at one of their stores in Torrance, CA. I loved that system (only still have the turntable and tape deck ) Wish I had considered refoaming etc before I let the speakers go. Loud music with a lot of bass was pretty much the standard back then.

I recently found a very nice pair of RSL Studio Monitors in Walnut Cabs at a local thrift store for $30. Only flaw was in the cabinetry because owner had hung them, so they had holes in the sides of each one with U brackets. They sounded great! But since I have too many speakers, I let my brother talk me out of them to go with his Sansui G9000. They were perfect for him since he always wanted RSLs (his dream speakers) and needed speakers that could handle the WPC output (they were listed at 250 WPC capable).

I do think that RSL speakers don't get the full respect that some of their products deserve due to the fact that they were pretty much a "Private" in house store brand here in Southern California. So turn those puppies up and enjoy.

onepixel
11-26-2008, 11:48 AM
I like sardines on my pizza and find Sandra Bernhardt oddly attractive.

..and I thought I was the only one. :D

toxcrusadr
11-26-2008, 12:09 PM
I like sardines on Sandra Bernhardt.

jetblack
11-26-2008, 03:29 PM
I like the Rogersound Labs speakers and look forward to getting more of them in the future.

Then you should own & enjoy them.................

Art K.
11-26-2008, 04:08 PM
I like sardines on my pizza and find Sandra Bernhardt oddly attractive.:scratch2: :eek: :)

stickman
11-26-2008, 04:25 PM
The 2600's were very popular but a tad bit peaky in the upper midrange frequencies. This gave them a forward "in your face" sound that was quite appealing in the showrooms compared to speakers lacking in midrange presence. I believe they were actually manufactured in Japan by Foster/Fostex to RSL specifications. The Wherehouse Record Store chain used them as their sound system monitors for many years in their home area stores around Los Angeles and then replaced them with M&K units.

PS - One RSL model to avoid is the 3800 studio monitors as they sounded pretty crappy. The earlier 3300 and 3600 monitor models all sounded good even though many different tweeters were used in them over the years. The 3800's just never sounded "right" to me.

thedelihaus
11-26-2008, 06:02 PM
I like sardines on Sandra Bernhardt.

I like Sandra Bernhardt on my pizza...:naughty:.

sealy
11-26-2008, 07:13 PM
Sandra Bernhardt looks like the epitome of evil. Love to meet her some day.

auralfixaton
11-26-2008, 08:03 PM
I apologize, I like RogersoundLab Speakers, just got a pair of RSL 2600 Mini Monitors
What the hack are you sory for?
You like what you like and so be it.
It is like taking a hit for liking redheads instead of brunettes!

thedelihaus
11-27-2008, 12:41 AM
Mmmmmmmm.......

.....................................Redheads..... ....

Robisme
11-27-2008, 01:00 AM
I have a large pair of the RSL Elans.
One of my favorite speakers.

I had a pair of RSL monitors, about the size of JBL L100's, but with 10" woofers.

I friend now has them and uses them with a Marantz 4300 I set him up with.

He loves them.

Rob

chasaboo
11-27-2008, 01:48 PM
Thanks for all the great info and the humor. I'm still laughing. :thmbsp: Made for a fun Thanksgiving Day.

Well I got the new surrounds in and they sound very good. Played some Dire Straits on vinyl and I like what I'm hearing.

A question for fellow RSL fans, what are some other models I should be keeping an eye out for? I already have the Forty and now the 2600. What should be next?

stickman
11-27-2008, 05:37 PM
For smaller units the bookshelf sized CG "Compression Guide" models are good. They came with 5, 6, or 8 inch woofers and were designated CG-5, CG-6, and CG-8 with the letter "A" added to the final models. For mid size monitors, like an L-100 or HPM-100, the 3600's are good (avoid the 3800's) and especially the later model 3600's with dome tweeters without protective diffraction pieces in front of the dome. For large/tall column models you can't go wrong with Elan's, 6600H's, or the CG "squared" models with dual woofers. (I own pairs of the 6600H's, 3600's, and two pairs of CG-6A's).

soundweasel
11-27-2008, 07:54 PM
Mmmmmmmm.......

.....................................Redheads..... ....

What he said! :drool:

chasaboo
11-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Thanks for all the good Rogersound Labs info. Definitely going to keep my eyes and ears open for those models. I love the way the RSLs that I have sound.

I did some experimenting last night and found the right height for some speaker stands so I got some wood to build some this morning. Nothing fancy, just quick and simple. :music: The 2600 Mini Monitors work really well with them.

Now I just need to sit back and listen for awhile and enjoy these as the new foam edges break in. Life is good.

webbb
12-01-2008, 03:57 PM
I think I have a pair of these in the garage - needing refoam of the 8" woofer. What foam did you get exactly? I forgot to go look to make sure but I am pretty sure that is what I found one day at the GW.
Thanks.
I helped a friend pick out something at RSL in Costa Mesa a number of years ago. It might have been CG-6A. I have not asked him if he still has them. I still have the CD they gave me as a "recommender" - a Sheffield compilation that has a lot of good stuff (some of it I have on vinyl too).

chasaboo
12-14-2008, 07:53 PM
Hey, Rogersound Labs addict here again. The foam I put in has loosened up nicely. Plus I recently got a Sansui G-4700 and wow I'm just blown away by this setup and how good it sounds for so little money. Listening to Ella on vinyl and it's just so sweet. Looking at some JBL monitors to replace these RSLs but for now, nothing but mad smiles.

To webbb:

The foam surrounds I got came from Speaker City in Burbank, CA. Not an advertisement or anything, just the truth. I got the ones that are angled.

BTW people told me to glue them on top even though the originals were glued underneath. I felt like it would be better to keep them the way Rogersound Labs and god had intended them to be glued, underneath. They came out great that way and weren't any more difficult to do than on top. :thmbsp:

2DualsNotEnough
12-14-2008, 08:09 PM
Sandra Bernhardt looks like the epitome of evil. Love to meet her some day.

A friend and I saw a show of hers about 20 years ago and got to meet her backstage.One of the sweetest women youd ever want to meet.
Jimmy