View Full Version : Great speaker companies that came... and went

myu701
01-05-2009, 01:01 AM
Off the top of my head, I only know of one: Dynaco. They scored a big hit with the A25 and possibly the A35. What are some others who produced at least one "top rated" speaker set, then later closed their doors and faded into audio history?

Saint Johnny
01-05-2009, 01:15 AM
I'm unsure if the company that built my current favorite vintage speakers, ROR Audio Research, ever achieved "top rated" status anywhere, outside a small group of audio industry professionals, as they were small and local to the NYC metro area.

However the man behind the company was and remains, highly acclaimed throughout the audio industry. Just google, Ted Rothstein, TR Technologies. To find out more about him, and his companies.

Dr. Music
01-05-2009, 01:28 AM
My very first set of speakers in a hi-fi setup were made by a company named Grafyx.

I had the Grafyx 8's, and I think they went to Grafyx 10's... I've always assumed they ran in accordance with the size of their woofer. They were affordable for folks like me who didn't have a massive amount of cash to throw at a rig...... my first Technics receiver, Sanyo TT and Grafyx speakers ran me $500 in '76, I believe, maybe '77. I thought they were very nice speakers; while not incredible, they did have a very pleasant sound and would certainly rock when called upon to do so. I haven't heard a thing about the Grafyx line since at least the early 80's?

MunkeyQ
01-05-2009, 03:49 AM
Goodmans, before they went bust and had their name bought by Alba, made some very nice stuff. A shame really as in their day, the speakers were pretty affordable considering the quality.

There's plenty more who went bust...Fisher, RtR and Dahlquist to name a few better known ones.

vegabass25
01-05-2009, 04:21 AM
Energy. sure they are still around, but since klipsch bought them out they are dead inside. Others would be dB+ (from API) and fisher.

pmsummer
01-05-2009, 05:37 AM
JBL, AR, KLH, Altec, Polk, Boston Acoustics, Advent, Mission, Frazier...

spkrdtr
01-05-2009, 05:46 AM
Spica is another. Their TC50's are highly sought after now.
Kindel Phantoms is another.

Ice_Cubit
01-05-2009, 06:31 AM

Chazb11
01-05-2009, 06:46 AM
DCM. They're still around but under new ownership. The new DCM misses the mark completely for me.

musichal
01-05-2009, 06:52 AM
a/d/s built some wonderful speakers.

Arkay
01-05-2009, 06:56 AM
I can't remember the name of the company offhand, but the company in Southern California that built the Tardis Sound Field Projectors. Very nice, audiophile speakers with a high-end design and solid build quality. ... but who ever heard of them or their prouducts? The company didn't last all that long.

Otherwise, virtually every smaller label that got bought up by a larger conglomerate LOST their edge after the takeover.
Infinity, DCM.

Add ESS to your list, too.

vegabass25
01-05-2009, 07:07 AM

Ohh ya! JBL too!

botrytis
01-05-2009, 07:43 AM
Royd Audio is one I laud -Arkay should be able to find them in Hong Kong as they have a cult following in many Asian countries. Jo Ackroyd, the designer, finally retired but have not heard of anyone taking over for him - sad really. Very under-appreciated speakers.

ken99
01-05-2009, 07:43 AM
EPI

I have a set of the EPI A70 speakers and they still outperform almost anything I have had since. Love them. Great sound. Bought them brand new back in 1981. Refoamed twice and still kicking.

later,
ken99

hifi_nut
01-05-2009, 07:47 AM
Apogee.

stuartk
01-05-2009, 07:51 AM
Energy. sure they are still around, but since klipsch bought them out they are dead inside. Others would be dB+ (from API) and fisher.

Most everything Klipsch has done since Paul Klipsch died has been subpar. That includes their own designs and the many companies they have purchased and destroyed.

archie2
01-05-2009, 07:53 AM
3D Acoustics from Portsmith NH, Spica, Avid from East Providence, RI. Bozak from Taftville and Norwalk CT. ADC from Meridan CT although the Co. is still in business they no longer manufacture speakers.

PoppaSteve
01-05-2009, 07:57 AM
Kind of a midwest-only outfit, but DLK.

Nice looking, well built, and they sound fantastic.

eurasian
01-05-2009, 08:23 AM
Just about all of the ones I currently own and use, and many I have had.

Acoustat
Dahlquist
Beveridge
Sequerra
Altec
Urei
EPI
Advent
Gold Ribbon Concepts
etc.

carbonman
01-05-2009, 08:31 AM
Videoton, a Hungarian speaker company that had products very popular in Europe and Britain during the 1960's and '70's.

pmsummer
01-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Most everything Klipsch has done since Paul Klipsch died has been subpar. That includes their own designs and the many companies they have purchased and destroyed.

I was going to add Klipsch to my list, but:

1) When PWK sold his company, he sold it to a relative,

2) They are still building PWK's speakers in Hope, Arkansas, by folks who worked with PWK, both home and commercial,

3) The new TOTL Palladium speakers from Klipsch/Indy are first rate.

But I hear 'ya, Stuart.

Richard C.
01-05-2009, 08:45 AM
That company had it's roots in Western Electric sound which mostly started the talkie movie industry, in this country.

At one time Altec dominated the theater market, was doing well in pro audio, and very good in high end home audio. Then it all slipped away...some of it slowly, and some fast! The name was bought by Spark-o-Matic, and they now build computer and iPod speakers in China.:tears:

Richard C.

MJSNet
01-05-2009, 09:03 AM
That company had it's roots in Western Electric sound which mostly started the talkie movie industry, in this country.

At one time Altec dominated the theater market, was doing well in pro audio, and very good in high end home audio. Then it all slipped away...some of it slowly, and some fast! The name was bought by Spark-o-Matic, and they now build computer and iPod speakers in China.:tears:

Richard C.

I bought a set of Spark-o-matic 6x9's from K-Mart for my car in the early eighties!

I'll second Avid. Great speakers.

Ed in Tx
01-05-2009, 09:05 AM
Frazier...

Glad to see Frazier still gets remembered. I worked at Frazier in 1969 when I was in my last year of high school. Old building is about a mile from here, now is a printing company. Every afternoon after school I would work 3 hrs- go in and clean out the sawdust from tablesaws to be saved for flling the spaces inside the wood horns Frazier was famous for, drilling holes in wood strips that went inside the speaker cabinets, mostly grunt work, just a huge wood shop for the most part except for one side that wound coils and assembled crossovers. I would come out of that place every afternoon covered head to toe with saw dust.

beans
01-05-2009, 09:10 AM
I guess me and BasicBlues have to carry the water for:

Norman Laboratories

defunct since about 1995

sagamore
01-05-2009, 09:14 AM
Found a pair of Cizek Model One's curbside last year by a friend needed some TLC and now I love them. Ray was a Hoosier who got in the middle of the New England speaker development era (AL) and tried a hand at the business in the mid 70's. Better physicist and golden ear than businessman. Those that have them savor the neutral sound of the entire line. They are much more well known in Europe, particularly Italy for some reason, but seldom heard on this forum.

dr*audio
01-05-2009, 09:18 AM
DCM. They're still around but under new ownership. The new DCM misses the mark completely for me.

Yes, for all practical purposes, DCM is gone. The original engineers and owners are gone and so is the quality of their products. It's a shame.:tears:

dr*audio
01-05-2009, 09:19 AM

I believe they were owned by Audio Technica.

MunkeyQ
01-05-2009, 09:33 AM
Videoton, a Hungarian speaker company that had products very popular in Europe and Britain during the 1960's and '70's.
:yes: The Videoton Minimaxes were one of the first to start the minimonitor craze. They still turn up on ebay frequently.

tlgibbs
01-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Ohh ya! JBL too!

Isn't JBL still in business? I believe they sell home theater systems. I don't know if they are trading on their name, what the quality is, etc......

dnewma04
01-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Shamrock Audio (I think Mike McCall had health issues that forced his retirement)
Adire Audio
Lambda Acoustics

soundboy
01-05-2009, 01:00 PM
Energy. sure they are still around, but since klipsch bought them out they are dead inside.

As a Energy speaker owner, I am hoping that's not going to be true. On the other hand, I saw what Klipsch has done to Athena Technologies, therefore I wouldn't be surprised if Klipsch decides to "purge" Energy as well.

Athena was great at providing inexpensive, but more than decent sounding, speakers. Damn you, Klipsch!!

I just heard Boston Acoustics' new Classic Series this past weekend and they're great. While BA still manufactures those "lifestyle" home theater speakers, I don't think it has completely went away.

As for brands that really went away, please add Design Acoustics. I am also afraid NHT is going away as well.

tubed
01-05-2009, 01:05 PM
A few companies out of California made some good to excellent speakers were ESS from Sacramento, RSL in Los angeles, GNP Speakers of Pasadena and Design Accoustics out of Torrance and Saras of the Sacramento area.

Nikko75
01-05-2009, 01:10 PM
Diatone, maker of fantastic Ultra-Fi speakers but disappeared from hi-fi decades ago. Now back in business apparently.

Brian
01-05-2009, 01:11 PM
JansZen (though Art's son has resurrected the name in a new company)
Neshaminy
N.E.A.R.
Empire
Frazier
Hartley
Dalhquist
RCA
RTR
ERC
Rectilinear

Hopefully I've not duplicated any mentioned before mine.

Hi_Fi Low-Life
01-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Hales.

Hales speakers had unbelievably good build and sound quality. I owned a pair of their Revelation 3s for a while. A shame this company is gone.

Russellc
01-05-2009, 01:27 PM

Hmmmm JBL was in business just the other day when I was ordering waveguides? I hope this news of their demise is greatly exagerated?

Russellc

toxcrusadr
01-05-2009, 01:48 PM
There was a thread on this awhile back, but I can't find it.

My contribution would be LWE.

pmsummer
01-05-2009, 01:51 PM
Hmmmm JBL was in business just the other day when I was ordering waveguides?

Russellc

And so are all those other "names".

SOTA
01-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Braun:cry:

J.R.

myu701
01-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Wow, I didn't realize so many brands were bought out and then their names reused...

Altec-Lansing made great audio equipment during the mid 20th century. Microphones and speakers were superb. But to see them existing as an outfit out of China... laughable. No trace of the original source.

This is happening in other areas of industry, too. A name gets bought and then there's NOTHING about it that is the same. Take Saab. GM bought them. Now, I understand that they still make some models in Sweden, but there is really NO LONGER any heritage to jet fighters. SO when Saab advertises "Born from jets", I can't help but cringe at the outright lie.

And even when a company isn't bought out, eventually management and engineers change... like someone mentioning Paul Klipsch no longer with company... maybe the magic wasn't passed down and speaker quality/innovation slipped. Shame. All the more reason to buy vintage! ;)

legalalien
01-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Dahlquest from the 70's and more recently Meadowlark.

Russellc
01-05-2009, 03:12 PM
And so are all those other "names".

Gotcha. The Guarantees are no longer what they were, that's for sure!

Russellc

beans
01-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Gotcha. The Guarantees are no longer what they were, that's for sure!

Russellc

Well, I don't "gotcha". What are we saying here? That Boston and Polk have sold out one way or another? ... along with JBL?
My Boston VR series speakers are pretty nice, especially the center channel.

bakes
01-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Mariah Acoustics -double-chamber reflex semicylindrical loudspeakers that imaged like nobody's business.

vegabass25
01-05-2009, 03:44 PM
As a Energy speaker owner, I am hoping that's not going to be true. On the other hand, I saw what Klipsch has done to Athena Technologies, therefore I wouldn't be surprised if Klipsch decides to "purge" Energy as well.

Athena was great at providing inexpensive, but more than decent sounding, speakers. Damn you, Klipsch!!

I just heard Boston Acoustics' new Classic Series this past weekend and they're great. While BA still manufactures those "lifestyle" home theater speakers, I don't think it has completely went away.

As for brands that really went away, please add Design Acoustics. I am also afraid NHT is going away as well.

Ya i had an old pair of energy ESM-3's and they where awesome for easy listening. Lost them to a fire:tears: a couple years ago. Im still a fan of energy (my second favorite speaker company) and anything by API But im sure klipsch will F**K them up.:thumbsdn:

vegabass25
01-05-2009, 03:45 PM
Isn't JBL still in business? I believe they sell home theater systems. I don't know if they are trading on their name, what the quality is, etc......

Indeed But to me (and a few others im sure) they have deteriorated in quality BIG TIME over the years.:thumbsdn:

vegabass25
01-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Kenwood is another. The company is still around and makes killer communication equipment and good sounding car audio that isent overkill. But their home audio has disappeared (i even liked a lot of their late 80's BPC)

qboneus
01-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Castle Acoustics
Tal

Saint Johnny
01-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Here's a fun little site to troll through.

http://audiotools.com/dead.html

WindowLicker
01-05-2009, 04:12 PM
Remember "Savard Sound", they were out of Louisiana i think. I remember them from the early 80's.

Darkspeed
01-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Stark Designs.

electronjohn
01-05-2009, 04:43 PM
I have to second poppasteve re: DLK. I installed many a pair of 1 1/2s as studio/production monitors in various radio stations back in the 70s. Always satisfied the jock's need for LOUD, while being accurate for technical adjustments as well. Plus...being able to trade them out at Team or Schaak was a plus...all they cost was a bunch of commercials. (BTW...used big Utahs for a few installs as well with good results.)

klama2006
01-05-2009, 06:27 PM
Jbl and Klipsh still produce some nice stuff, its just there nice stuff costs more than my car nowadays. I don't know if any of these can be considered great, but I would like to add Epicure, they produced some real neat stuff back in the day. Honorable mentions would be Bottlehead, and Kinetic Audio, I believe neither company is still producing speakers.

Marantz7t15
01-05-2009, 06:39 PM
I would have to vote Dahlquist!

Bauhausler
01-05-2009, 06:49 PM
I think failure rather than long term success is the rule with speaker companies. Due no doubt to a number of factors but I'd cite:

1) fickle consumers.
2) labor cost
3) shipping cost
4) low startup costs for competitors
5) faddish nature of speaker market.

How about speaker companies that HAVE lasted? How many can you name whose 1970s and 2009 speakers you would own? I'd say Klipsch for one but only with the qualification that it has to be the same model speaker from both eras.

Linn? Other English manufacturers? KEF? Spendor?

Say what you want about B&O, but some of their modern powered speakers are just outstanding and a lot of the older ones sound great as well.

Jupiter1610
01-05-2009, 07:00 PM
ADS for sure. Great hifi value on the used market, even when compared head to head with modern speakers.

chadnliz
01-05-2009, 07:20 PM
A trip dowm memory lane! I see some I owned like A/D/S. DCM. AR, and others but no mention of Dunlavy......anyone ever heard a pair of these monsters? Several models of insane size sounded great if you had the room for them.

Brian
01-05-2009, 07:25 PM
I heard a set at a local dealer some years ago when shopping for a new set of speakers. Yes, awesome and went head to head with the big Mcs that were also on display. However, after listening for a couple of hours fatigue set in. The mids were not as revealing as I like. Being a big speaker lover though, they were very impressive

Stafjohn
01-05-2009, 07:28 PM
I'll add University to the list. University along with Altec Lancing were purchased by LTV and later by Telex which ended both lines as we know it. The late 50s and early 60's were the University haydays. The drivers were phased into some of the Altec line but Altec was higher end product at least after the LTV purchase of both companies.

MJSNet
01-05-2009, 07:41 PM
I'll add University to the list. University along with Altec Lancing were purchased by LTV and later by Telex which ended both lines as we know it. The late 50s and early 60's were the University haydays. The drivers were phased into some of the Altec line but Altec was higher end product at least after the LTV purchase of both companies.

Great info! I posted a pic of my University's in another thread hoping to help with identification. You wouldn't happen to know the model of these would you? Got a pic of yours?

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2372505&postcount=122

JohnKay
01-05-2009, 08:06 PM
Allison Acoustics?

klama2006
01-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Allison is still around I think.

Edit, I just did a search.... Maybe they are gone. It just seems like a year or two ago, That I pulled up there homepage and recommended them to a friend.

marantzfan
01-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Polk still makes some pretty damn good speakers. I definately would have their name stricken from this list...:yes:

chadnliz
01-05-2009, 08:23 PM
I heard a set at a local dealer some years ago when shopping for a new set of speakers. Yes, awesome and went head to head with the big Mcs that were also on display. However, after listening for a couple of hours fatigue set in. The mids were not as revealing as I like. Being a big speaker lover though, they were very impressive

I had a chance to buy a pair of model IV's last year for $1500 with only 2 small scratches but I passed on them, after I demoed them for a while I also felt the mids didnt do it for me, my Planar ribbon mids I have were way faster and had much more life...they sure are purty speakers tho...my VMPS are not as good looking by a long shot.

Sir.Byrd
01-05-2009, 08:25 PM
ESS with the AMT tweeters.

='(

Infinity with the good stuff.

Stafjohn
01-05-2009, 08:28 PM
Great info! I posted a pic of my University's in another thread hoping to help with identification. You wouldn't happen to know the model of these would you? Got a pic of yours?

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2372505&postcount=122

Here is a link to another post which shows the Dual 12's. There are several posts for the Medallions (Seniors are similar as are other) University made different cab styles with the same or very similar drivers. I think that some of other posts may have the pictures for the Medallions.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55095

I have never seen any grills like those on any University speakers. My guess is the stitch work is custom however. What do the drivers look like?

Plumberboy1
01-05-2009, 08:46 PM
Hey Troubleshoot,
I have a pair of the SP10A's. I bought'em in 77 and still use them today. I still think they sound good and have pretty good bass.

Greg

automojo
01-05-2009, 08:49 PM
Off the top of my head, I only know of one: Dynaco. They scored a big hit with the A25 and possibly the A35. What are some others who produced at least one "top rated" speaker set, then later closed their doors and faded into audio history?

Hailing from St Paul (and Mendota Heights) MN-DLK!:thmbsp:
I would add ESS as well-Heils Are unbelievable!

dnewma04
01-05-2009, 09:00 PM
I think failure rather than long term success is the rule with speaker companies. Due no doubt to a number of factors but I'd cite:

1) fickle consumers.
2) labor cost
3) shipping cost
4) low startup costs for competitors
5) faddish nature of speaker market.

How about speaker companies that HAVE lasted? How many can you name whose 1970s and 2009 speakers you would own? I'd say Klipsch for one but only with the qualification that it has to be the same model speaker from both eras.

Linn? Other English manufacturers? KEF? Spendor?

Say what you want about B&O, but some of their modern powered speakers are just outstanding and a lot of the older ones sound great as well.

I'd say JBL, Klipsch, Infinity, Pioneer along with those you mentioned. I'm sure there are more that I'm overlooking.

klama2006
01-05-2009, 09:01 PM
Speaker threads like this, are bad for my well being. When I read through a thread like this, it just feeds my appetite.

I end up wanting, all of these speakers I never even knew I wanted.

kcollins4
01-05-2009, 09:03 PM
There was a thread on this awhile back, but I can't find it.

My contribution would be LWE.
Ya beat me to it! Here's a thread (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=182904&highlight=erath)about Louis W. Erath, who passed away in September. Probably best remembered for his "feedback" amps and kits, to go with his speakers.

vinylisfinal
01-05-2009, 09:07 PM
hartley comes to mind... probably the best fullrange (imho) and at a 10" at that!
dukane ionovacs....
dahlquist dq-10's
the mighty bozak
uher studio monitors

vegabass25
01-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Polk still makes some pretty damn good speakers. I definately would have their name stricken from this list...:yes:

Ya polk is still quite good. :thmbsp:

hotroady
01-05-2009, 11:12 PM
Klipsch have been in production since 1946 or 47. Can't say that about ANY of the speakers mentioned.

beans
01-05-2009, 11:19 PM
The Bozak company still exists but they only make equipment for DJ-ing.

Stalmer
01-05-2009, 11:20 PM
Hey Troubleshoot,
I have a pair of the SP10A's. I bought'em in 77 and still use them today. I still think they sound good and have pretty good bass.

Greg

I echo the sentiments! The SP-10A's are darn good.
I also miss the Advents and RTR's... What a shame these companies aren't still around...:sigh:

TomG
01-05-2009, 11:38 PM
How about Signet, still have a pair of the 260's

Puffman
01-05-2009, 11:48 PM
Servolinear was a company in Modesto, California from the Mid 70s to about 1982. They had a full line of speakers from bookshelf to large floor standing units. Not much on the web about them so I guess the distribution probably was never very good.

cornhulio
01-05-2009, 11:56 PM
Polk

I agree. The quality just isn't there anymore.

Elfasto
01-06-2009, 12:02 AM
Monsoon.

Stereoholic
01-06-2009, 12:03 AM
Quite a few brands here that I'd forgotten about.

How 'bout:

MB Quart
Clements (they might be back, not sure)
Meret Audio (existed all of about 5 years in the mid '90s)

dread31
01-06-2009, 12:17 AM
Genesis.

A friend had a set of these back in the '80s.
Very nice sounding speakers.

Dave

piscator
01-06-2009, 12:17 AM
Fried, wonderful speakers!

piscator

dread31
01-06-2009, 12:20 AM
Plasmatronics.

Plasma tweeters. Monsterous things that required a large tank of helium to operate.

jimfet
01-06-2009, 05:42 AM
The real Altec.

jimbofish
01-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Fried, wonderful speakers!

piscator

Still in business and still making replacement drivers for the older models. :yes:

"Fried Products Corporation is a Pennsylvania Corporation formed by a group of audiophiles, which included Mr. Fried. The Corporation's top management and design team, in aggregate, represents over 5 decades of collaboration with Mr. Fried on all aspects of loudspeaker design. Fried Products is a continuation of that knowledge and expertise; members of the team designed many of the legacy products and continuously advanced the designs. "

http://www.friedproducts.com/index.html

dr*audio
01-06-2009, 11:15 AM
I don't think anyone mentioned M&K.

gkimeng
01-06-2009, 11:22 AM

I think you'd have a much shorter list if you asked for examples of great speaker companies that are still in business and that don't just exist as brand names now owned by other companies.

jimbofish
01-06-2009, 12:32 PM
Electro-Voice is still in business and making an extensive line of products, but I don't see any home hifi products any more:tears:... mostly commercial and pro sound.

MJSNet
01-06-2009, 01:41 PM
I have never seen any grills like those on any University speakers. My guess is the stitch work is custom however. What do the drivers look like?

Thanks for the link! The grill covers have material on them that is paper thin, looks like bamboo (but isn't) and the designs are either painted or silk-screened (or maybe even manufactured that way somehow?). If you look closely at the pics will notice that the right design has kind of bled together causing less detail than the left. Don't know if this is the ink or if it was always this way.

The material is so thin that you can actually see the drivers through it in the photo. The material is attached to what appears to be wood or a wood-like material (back of old tv's from 60's kind of wood, without the peg holes) with cutouts where the drivers are (which by the way are not complete cutouts, there are one or two supporting lines running vertically to help hold the fabric.) There is no access to the drivers from the rear, and the grill cover does NOT want to come off. I managed to pry it back on one corner ever so slightly, and by peering in with a flashlight I see that (if you use the right-hand speaker in the pic for reference):

The circle furthest top right is a driver that looks like a midrange with one of those protective dog-collars (cone-like thing) you see on dogs to keep them from scratching themselves neck up, where the dust cap is. It is about 6 inches across (the driver, not the cone-like appendage.)

The circle top left is a small oval port hole that actually angles in towards the driver I just mentioned above and terminates just short of reaching the back of the cabinet.

The bottom circle is a larger driver with a flat, almost fabric looking dust cover and is about 7 inches across.

All drivers appear to be made out of paper and are still in excellent condition (from what I can see.) I don't know what else to look for. There aren't any markings on the back of the cabinet, other than the connection terminals (flat-head screw type.)

Is this typical of University drivers? Could these have been custom built by University? The speaker themselves are 22 1/2w x 28 1/2h x 4 1/2d and can either hang on the wall or sit on the floor with attached stands. They are quite heavy.

The original thread with a little more info is here (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2372505#post2372505)

I appreciate any and all input on these as I am really having a hard time getting the ID on them. :tears:

beans
01-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Electro-Voice is still in business and making an extensive line of products, but I don't see any home hifi products any more:tears:... mostly commercial and pro sound.

I've been to a couple of concerts in recent years and EV PA speakers were being used. I remember one being 3 Doors Down, and the sound quality was not very good... but NOT because of their choice of EV I'm sure. They had a line array and also a stack down at stage level.

eurasian
01-06-2009, 02:02 PM
The "dog collar" thing you are talking about is probably a "difficusicone" diffraction ring type gizmo, and there should be a tweeter tucked into the center of it. No idea how it might sound, but University made some very high quality drivers and had the benefit of excellent engineering. Google Abe Cohen and/or find a copy of "Hi-Fi Loudspeakers and Enclosures" for more info.

Reel 2 Reel
01-06-2009, 03:49 PM
It was probly mentioned earlier in this thread ..but I would have loved to have a pair of IMF's studio monitors..or the Professional Monitors...

The US distributor office was based in Saginaw Michigan... My old home town...

anytune
01-06-2009, 04:08 PM
Genesis.

Dave

Genesis Physics Corp., to be exact. Outstanding speaker line -- not to be confused with today's dreadful Genesis Media Labs. Has Utah been mentioned?

pauldrewry
01-06-2009, 06:52 PM
While Speakerlab and Koss are still in business, they produced models no longer available. Or was Koss just a rebadge?

Plumberboy1
01-07-2009, 01:00 AM
I don't think anyone has mentioned Heathkit. I have the SS1B my father built, the SS1 he also built and another SS1 I got off the Bay. The SS1B has a 15" woofer and a supertweeter in it.

Greg

carbonman
01-07-2009, 08:24 AM
While Speakerlab and Koss are still in business, they produced models no longer available. Or was Koss just a rebadge?
Koss made some excellent speakers in the 1970's, KM1010, KM1020, KM1030. They were quite serious about putting out a good product. I sold them during my brief stint in audio sales.

Jon_Logan
01-07-2009, 08:41 AM
Magnat

soundweasel
01-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Allison is still around I think.

Edit, I just did a search.... Maybe they are gone. It just seems like a year or two ago, That I pulled up there homepage and recommended them to a friend.

Gone for all intents and purposes. Nothing left but the name.

Ausjoe
01-07-2009, 06:40 PM
Okies will remember Norman Labs. I will miss most Dunlavy. My kinda speaker.

Bauhausler
01-07-2009, 06:52 PM
I don't know about Great in the absolute sense but I wish Unity Audio had been more of a success. Based in Lansing MI and active until about a decade or so ago. Their PARM system and Fountainhead Signature speakers were outstanding. I owned 5 or 6 pairs. My mom still loves her Model CLA Ones. My brother has CLA 3's that I gave him and my wife has some kind of 2 1/2 way monitors upstairs. They had really beautiful cabinetry featuring exotic veneers and solid woods.

Jcricket
01-07-2009, 10:53 PM
I have a set of Dante's. Do they still exist? I am not sure if they ever scored a top set, but I sure like them.

I did a google search and one AK'er called them crap. Well, my set is FAR from crap. It is one of my favorite three maybe four sets. I have about 30 sets too.
Mark

exhilaration157
01-07-2009, 11:56 PM
Tangent: produced speakers with KEF drivers in the mid to late 70s. I heard they sunk too much money into R&D.
http://www.thunders.ca/tangent/tm3.php

Advance Speaker Korp: started by former genesis and epi employees I think. They are similar to genesis.

We have examples of both companies speakers still in use at home regularly. I just recapped both.
The Advance V-II
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=124096&d=1229652718

I think Genesis is still around. Atleast there is a high end company called Genesis, whether it is the same company or not I don't know.http://www.genesisloudspeakers.com/

AnalogDigit
01-08-2009, 12:11 AM
I'm surprised that no one mentioned Realistic from Radio Shack.

DR_Simpkins
01-08-2009, 09:23 AM
Klipsch have been in production since 1946 or 47. Can't say that about ANY of the speakers mentioned.

What about Wharfedale?

beans
01-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Okies will remember Norman Labs...

Not just Okies! In fact I mentioned them earlier. I'm going to Austin next weekend to re-claim my Norman Sevens from my brother and I can hardly wait.

Pstraums
01-08-2009, 12:28 PM
I agree with IMF, shocked it wasn`t mentioned earlier in this thread :) !
a great loss! They had several superb speakers!

Out of IMF came TDL, and their second largest (TDL Monitor) is my personal favourite. Transmissionlines that sings from 18-35000 Hz ! (you should HEAR them! they go so DEEP its almost ridiculous)

This is the TDL Monitor : the ones i`ll keep forever..

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn206/pstraums/IMG_9001-2-1.jpg

To the left in the next pic is the big brother in the family (TDL Reference Std, it extends to 16Hz)

http://digilander.libero.it/piani/cataloghi_tdl/tdl_electronics_reference.jpg

Ofcourse I need to Mention Tandberg (beeing a Norwegian)... The Studio Monitor definately has a following. Back in the days, the (legendary) Tandberg man himself (Vebjørn) said to his engineers : Make the best speaker in the world.. cost not an issue. : (at least thats what I`ve heard ;).. these were pretty expensive back then)

http://cybermax.tmfweb.nl/tandberg/tanmon.jpg

MJSNet
01-08-2009, 12:59 PM
I'm surprised that no one mentioned Realistic from Radio Shack.

Your right! I have a pair of Optimus T-200's in the basement that need new surrounds (probably mids and tweets too) as they were paper and foam. I bought them new around 1980. They were great sounding when they were in service, though! Just didn't fare as well over the years. :tears:

don.r
01-15-2009, 11:00 PM
Ya i had an old pair of energy ESM-3's and they where awesome for easy listening. Lost them to a fire:tears: a couple years ago. Im still a fan of energy (my second favorite speaker company) and anything by API But im sure klipsch will F**K them up.:thumbsdn:

I currently have an Energy set (RC-50s and RC-LCR) and they are beautiful in a gorgeous rosenut finish (now discontinued) but from what I have seen Klipsch is definitely dragging the company to be a lower end offering. Its a shame.:sadwave:

tarior
01-15-2009, 11:57 PM
The companies whose passing most bums me out are:
Teledyne Acoustic Research
Advent (original and Jensen)
ESS
M&K
Genesis Physics
Altec

...and the companies that are still in business just ain't what they used to be, ala JBL, C-V, Klipsch etc.

vegabass25
01-16-2009, 12:51 AM
The companies whose passing most bums me out are:
Teledyne Acoustic Research
Advent (original and Jensen)
ESS
M&K
Genesis Physics
Altec

...and the companies that are still in business just ain't what they used to be, ala JBL, C-V, Klipsch etc.

Naa CV is still good. They are still as advertised. A big, loud bassy speaker that is good for rocking:music: As for the others, their hi end stuff is pretty good but you could get wayy better in that price range IMO:thmbsp:

Woofman
01-16-2009, 05:07 PM
Here's a few that are seem to be long lost and maybe unheard of by most:

Frankmann Research, Kustom Acoustics, Kirksaeter and Sidereal Akustic

jn229
01-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Waveform, a Canadian company that tried to market a highend speaker.

goldwax
01-16-2009, 05:40 PM
Any opinions on Soundcraftmen's speakers, esp. the Lancer line? I've got a pair made with a couple years of 1970 in either direction that sound pretty great to me, though I'm no expert.

back2hifi
01-19-2009, 05:24 PM
I just heard of one coming back! I was in Speakerlab the other day looking at some Focals and I asked what ever happened to their speakers. The sales guy smiled and said that they were in development on new kits and that I should check back in a month or two. My first speakers were their .1's back in the '80's, so I may just wait and see what they do. It didn't sound like anyone bought them, so hopefully they will do something good!

kneeOhFight
08-09-2009, 04:10 PM
Here's a few that are seem to be long lost and maybe unheard of by most:

Frankmann Research, Kustom Acoustics, Kirksaeter and Sidereal Akustic

Nice post, Woofman..I know this is a thread revival, but now that I own a pristine pair of Kirksaeter's, I've become amazed at how rare a bird they really are..:thmbsp:

dogscanskate
08-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Beveridge, Dayton Wright, Dunlavy, Raven, Janzen...

TerryO
08-09-2009, 10:41 PM
I've read the whole thread and unless I missed it, nobody has mentioned Bob Fulton's speakers. Those were pretty nice.

Best Regards,
TerryO

TerryO
08-09-2009, 10:51 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~Snip~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think Genesis is still around. At least there is a high end company called Genesis, whether it is the same company or not I don't know.http://www.genesisloudspeakers.com/

It's probably the same company. Gary Leonard Koh bought the company a few years back from Arnie Nudell (I think he owned it). Arnie remained head designer until he left the company a couple of years ago. It's located in Seattle and Gary is a member of the Pacific Northwest Audio Society.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Tom Brennan
08-09-2009, 11:35 PM
I've read the whole thread and unless I missed it, nobody has mentioned Bob Fulton's speakers. Those were pretty nice.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Indeed they were, a pal had a pair of the big modulars with the RTR tweeter array, excellent speakers. And the FMI 80 was an ear opener.

Tom Brennan
08-09-2009, 11:43 PM
Stephens.

MisterFishey
08-10-2009, 12:13 AM
The one that came to mind quickest for me was Advent... they made only a few models before being bought out by Jensen, most (if not all) were applauded for the sound quality at the price point, which as I understand it, was relatively low for the time. A few good speakers were made at the beginning of the Jensen ownership, and then straight downhill into oblivion. I think I saw a cheap flat screen TV badged Advent at Radio Shack - excuse me, The Shack - the other day... how sad. :tears:

BwanaJim
08-10-2009, 12:34 AM
Sorry to say SpeakerLab bit the dust years ago.
This weekend they were rumored to have Kirch speaker's on there sales floor............

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43674&page=82&highlight=seattle

Read from post #3248 on..........it's not pretty ............

Tom Brennan
08-10-2009, 12:37 AM
Speaking of Advent, remember this?

http://www.walvisions.com/ArchivePages/walvisions__advent_videobeam1_brochure.htm

TerryO
08-10-2009, 11:05 AM
Speaking of Advent, remember this?

http://www.walvisions.com/ArchivePages/walvisions__advent_videobeam1_brochure.htm

Geez Tom, you're showing your age!
I personally don't remember it like it was just yesterday...
:D

Best Regards,
TerryO

gkimeng
08-10-2009, 11:56 AM
I think I saw a cheap flat screen TV badged Advent at Radio Shack - excuse me, The Shack - the other day... how sad. :tears:
The funny thing about this is that Henry Kloss originally started Advent with the intention of it being a bigscreen TV company.

marc mc
08-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Dayton Wright,

I was at Michael's last week. I'm restoring a pair of his Watson Lab 10's. Watson Lab's was Michaels speaker company between Dayton-Wright Inc and The Dayton-Wright Group.

marc mc

karlo
08-11-2009, 07:20 AM
interesting nobody mentioned jensen... they were among the first to be ruined by
corporate f-u's . beatrice, recoton, audiovox......not names i'd associate w/ the
mighty Imperial horn .

barredowl
08-11-2009, 08:05 AM
Nelson Reed made high end speakers in California from the early 80s to early 90s using pro sound volt woofers and very nice scanspeak tweeters with heavy well finished nice looking boxes that would go loud (they were sold as studio monitors as well) with low distortion and relatively flat frequency response Sadly their factory burned down in the early 90s. IMO this is the direction the "high end" should have gone in, learning from pro sound, rather than tubes and minimonitors with no bass. :( These speakers are real sleepers since very few people have heard of them and often go cheap for what you get.

http://manskerconsulting.com/audio/index.html

JimJ[VT]
08-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Adire Audio.

EPI-Center
08-11-2009, 12:23 PM
Genesis.

Dave

I always thought Genesis could have been a huge player if they had more advertising dollars behind them. Fantastic speakers...my ultimate fantasy is to show up at a garage sale and have some Genesis speakers sitting there for 10 dollars or something.

barredowl
08-11-2009, 06:08 PM
There was ONE Genesis physics speaker with the classic EPI inverted dome tweeter at the Ann Arbor recycle center today, sigh!

70salesguy
08-11-2009, 07:13 PM
The funny thing about this is that Henry Kloss originally started Advent with the intention of it being a bigscreen TV company.

Henry Kloss designed, manufactured and marketed the Advent speakers in order to produce a revenue stream to fund the development of the Advent (or Kloss) Videobeam TV. That's not a criticism of the speakers, but it IS the truth.

There is no denying that many great brands have suffered from "Brand dilution". JBL has not been immune to this. I have seen the JBL brand on a lot of things that just embarass me. I have a JBL sales manual from the early 70s that poses the rhetorical question, "Why doesn't JBL make an inexpensive 2-way speaker system, there certainly is a market for them?"

JBL answered this rhetorical question by stating that "there is a big market for 19 cent ballpoint pens as well, but that's NOT what we do!"

Obviously, things have changed. :sigh:

But don't think for a minute that JBL doesn't still produce some extremely high quality speakers, because they do! I certainly love my L100s and 4300 series, but they still produce some TOTL gear!

Another company that no longer produces speaker systems is Crown Audio.

SixCats!
08-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Yep,

Tom beat me to it, STEPHENS Tru-Sonic of Los Angeles. I guess it's going on two (if not three) years since I purchased a single circa 1950's
(Eames designed) Stephen Tru-Sonic Horn Speaker.
The Stephens Tru-Sonic continues to be my overall favorite Speaker displacing everything else I own. Oooh...it's MONO!

Regards,
SixCats!

Martin G.
08-18-2009, 03:19 PM
I can't remember the name of the company offhand, but the company in Southern California that built the Tardis Sound Field Projectors. Very nice, audiophile speakers with a high-end design and solid build quality. ... but who ever heard of them or their prouducts? The company didn't last all that long.

I think you may be referring to a speaker company named Soundsmith back in the early '90s. No relation to the present day Soundsmith (I don't think). I have a pair of the floorstanding 2-ways in my garage with blown woofers on one side.

Marty

Martin G.
08-18-2009, 03:40 PM
I don't know about Great in the absolute sense but I wish Unity Audio had been more of a success.

Bob Grost is making speakers once again, just sold a pair on Audiogon.

SpeakerArt hasn't been mentioned I don't think. Remember the Cleff and Super Cleff?

Avid 103 and NEAR 50M were both great speakers from companies now gone. I'd like to find a pair of 103s.

Marty

marc mc
08-18-2009, 05:07 PM
I was at Michael's last week. I'm restoring a pair of his Watson Lab 10's. Watson Lab's was Michaels speaker company between Dayton-Wright Inc and The Dayton-Wright Group.

marc mc

Hate to quote myself but I finished the Watson Lab 10's and thought a picture of audio history from the greatest Canadian speaker maker was fitting in this thread. Here they are in my garage, but they will be in one of my main systems indoors soon enough. They are mind blowing.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h214/marcstoolshed/awatsons007.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h214/marcstoolshed/awatsons008.jpg

RickB
08-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Soliloquy

jackfish
08-19-2009, 08:45 AM
Lafayette Criterion

Didn't sound too bad and were affordable for someone who was almost broke in 1973.

Splatter Pak
08-19-2009, 12:12 PM
Utah

SABA

Amrita [started in Iowa, moved to Missouri, died]

RickB
08-19-2009, 03:12 PM
I thought he said GREAT speaker builders...not just speaker builders that have gone out of business...I was around a lot of Criterion speakers back in the day, and while some may have seemed competent to the uninformed, they really weren't that good in the scheme of things...same with Utah...but, they were seen as giving pretty good bang for the buck...if not the best sounding things....

dnewma04
08-19-2009, 04:27 PM
I think the only exception I can think of with the criterion line were those fitted with the small Heil tweeter, they are surprisingly competent.

automojo
08-20-2009, 10:31 PM

Yes, DLK and ESS as well- although ESS possibly might be back as more than just a driver supplier-time will tell.
A updated-new production 3 way AMT Monitor w/the Great Heil would be a killer IMHO.

Brent71
08-21-2009, 03:45 AM
Gold Ribbon Concepts. They were built in the Iowa City/Coralville, Iowa area and sold at Spencer Sound Systems. They were hybrid ribbon/dynamic speakers. I was in my early teens when they were around so I don't really remember a lot about them but they sure sounded great! I later heard that they were sued by Bob Carver for infringing on one of his patents for his ribbons.

Endspec
08-21-2009, 11:04 AM
I don't think anyone has mentioned Heathkit. I have the SS1B my father built, the SS1 he also built and another SS1 I got off the Bay. The SS1B has a 15" woofer and a supertweeter in it.

Greg

I too have the ss1 and ss1b heathkit speaker, also found Frazier is still around.

http://www.frazierspeakers.com/

Also sansui built some nice speakers in the day.

Woofman
08-21-2009, 11:26 AM
Unfortunately, it seems that the Frazier company that exists now has no real ties to the old one other than using the name. If you go to their homepage it gives a short history of the company. Sad.

Worf101
08-21-2009, 11:28 PM
Epicure
Epi
Allison
Logik
DBX (just kiddin)

Da Worfster

Bongo1976
08-22-2009, 11:26 PM
Folks;

EPI....I've had the same pair of EPI 100's since 1978....refoamed..replaced the woofers once....still the "cleanest" speaker I have ever heard:banana::banana::banana:

Later--Bong01976:thmbsp:

sealy
08-23-2009, 12:42 AM
Apogee accepted. Signet, excellent but obscure speakers.

automojo
08-28-2009, 10:05 PM
Henry Kloss designed, manufactured and marketed the Advent speakers in order to produce a revenue stream to fund the development of the Advent (or Kloss) Videobeam TV. That's not a criticism of the speakers, but it IS the truth.

There is no denying that many great brands have suffered from "Brand dilution". JBL has not been immune to this. I have seen the JBL brand on a lot of things that just embarass me. I have a JBL sales manual from the early 70s that poses the rhetorical question, "Why doesn't JBL make an inexpensive 2-way speaker system, there certainly is a market for them?"

JBL answered this rhetorical question by stating that "there is a big market for 19 cent ballpoint pens as well, but that's NOT what we do!"

Obviously, things have changed. :sigh:

But don't think for a minute that JBL doesn't still produce some extremely high quality speakers, because they do! I certainly love my L100s and 4300 series, but they still produce some TOTL gear!

Another company that no longer produces speaker systems is Crown Audio.

I agree, I heard some new JBL towers last year that were very nice sounding, and only around $300 or so ea, which I thought was a good price considering their high quality sound, and deep bass.