View Full Version : Vintage receiver choice

jaaani
06-17-2004, 11:15 AM
Which of the vintage solid state receivers has the best tuner sections out of the box?

Which vintage receiver has the most musical non-bright sound and if you can combine both best tuner with musical non-bright performance that would be great.

John

Thatch_Ear
06-17-2004, 12:43 PM
I think that Marantz has the best tuner and preamp section of the vintage recievers but find the SS squeal a bit more prevelent that Pioneer. I could easily live with a Marantz 2226B that used a Carver amp for power. Not exactly what you were looking for but I do not and have not owned any of the big Pioneer recievers that was funtioning at 100%.
Scott was just OK and I have had 2.

jaaani
06-17-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Thatch_Ear
I think that Marantz has the best tuner and preamp section of the vintage recievers but find the SS squeal a bit more prevelent that Pioneer. I could easily live with a Marantz 2226B that used a Carver amp for power. Not exactly what you were looking for but I do not and have not owned any of the big Pioneer recievers that was funtioning at 100%.
Scott was just OK and I have had 2.

TE, could you elaborate on "the SS squeal" for me?

This is what I have concluded by just absorbing others comments.
From best to worst: Marantz, Pioneer, Yamaha, Rotel and Sansui. This is just an observatory conclusion. Please don't take offense if you are not represented.

Thanks, John

rstsgsas
06-17-2004, 02:37 PM
I have both a Pioneer sx-5590,and a Yamaha cr-2020,In comparison the tuner in the Pioneer is noticably better in seperation,drawing stations in and overall sound,but I think the Pioneer adds some bass to the sound even in tone defeat,The Yamaha has the better preamp section IMHO and in tone defeat adds nothing and takes nothing away.The perfect reciever for me would be Pioneer tuner section with Yamaha pre-amp (sx-2020).I really like both ,they are outstanding each having excellent parts ,and good parts(there are no bad).I have never heard Marantz,or Sansui so I have no Idea how they stack up.I use both,and have cd players hooked to both,different music sounds better on one or the other at times but you would not be dissapointed with either.

Lefty
06-17-2004, 04:26 PM
Well I will repeat my pitch for the tuner section in the Kenwood KR-9600 receiver.

It has a 5 gang tuning capacitor. Has a switchable modulation meter function showing how much compression is being used by the station.

There are horizontal and vertical output connectors for hooking a scope to the tuner section for measuring multipath. It is very sensitive (2 stage rf front end amps if I remember correctly).

Kenwood was well established as a consumer RF company in their fine ham radio equipment line.

I have no problem recommeding this receiver's FM performance relative to it's peers.

Lefty

Thatch_Ear
06-17-2004, 04:57 PM
The SS squeal is how highs often act with SS. It bothers me and I prefere tube amplification for mids and especially highs though I have heard some mighty fine SS.
I am not a huge fan of FM anymore because I just effing hate the damn adds. That aside I now own 2 Marantz recievers made in the US and both have exellent FM sections. They can pull in and hold in stereo stations that I can't get at all on a Dyna FM-3 or a Fisher FM-50-B (tubed) or 2 different tubed Fisher recievers, a 400 and a 500C. You are reading comments from a tube audio lover and I don't have an axe to grind about brand loyalty as far as SS gear goes. For FM I would still use my tube gear just because I like it.
As far as using the Marantz recievers strictly as preamps I have and both were in my opinion as good or better than any stand alone SS preamp was with a SS amp. Of the integrated amps and recievers that I have used my absolute favorite is a little low powered Kenwood KA-3500 integrated. I have had Sansuis (in my case unreliable front ends on both 8080s) and Pioneers.
By the way Lefty has the big SX-1980 Pioneer and if he says the Kenwood is good you can bank on it.

Brian
06-17-2004, 10:49 PM
Not having heard every receiver in existence I can not tell which is tops. Given that, I'd vote for the McIntosh 1700 with the tube tuner (it does have a ss preamp and amp). Also, the tuner section of the MAC1900 (ss) is a Mc through and through as is the tuner section of the Stereotech receiver; that lone offshore McIntosh receiver. The heritgage to the MR65 and 67 makes it tops. The there is the Marantz 18 with its model 20 tuner and the 19 with the 20b tuner. The Philips 797 shows its sonic heritage to the 6731 tuner, not quite eqaul but pretty close. The 6731 runs with my MR77.

whell
06-24-2004, 02:51 PM
Like others, I can only tell you what I've heard. For vintage units, I'd have to give the nod to the Harmon Kardon HK 930. It may not be THE most sensitive or THE most selective, but it sounds great. I've not heard better for the price, that is for sure. I'm sure that the TOTL Marantz, Kenwood or Sansui units might give the HK a run for the money across the entire spectrum of measurable tuner performance, but you're also going to pay ALOT more, and they are not going to sound any better, IMHO.

botrytis
06-24-2004, 03:34 PM
I have used a Pioneer SX-737 - decent tuner, a Yamaha tuner - a decent tuner. I don't think you can go wrong with what has been recommened.

I think it is interesting that Thatch describes a SS squeal - I find tubes have a ringing sound that annoys the crap out of me. It is really prevalent when you use speakers with metal tweeters. I get a headache every time I listen to a system like this.

Dave

Grumpy
06-24-2004, 04:16 PM
I will second the 9600. Its just better then the rest when it comes to tuners.

Thatch_Ear
06-24-2004, 07:06 PM
I don'y use metal tweeters cause they annoy the hell out of me no matter what is driving them. The only compression drivers I have are the EV 35s built into the TRXs and they have phenolic domes. Or I should say they are the only compression drivers I will listen to. I am not into bright and lots of older SS tends to be that way. Each to their own, I don't get into dessert wines either.

Army
06-24-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Thatch_Ear
. Each to their own, I don't get into dessert wines either.

:lmao: :grnbounce :lmao: Great answer Dude !

I've had Marantz, Sansui, Kenwood etc... I enjoy em all ;)

Sorry no help here !

Enjoy :wave:
Army

bully
07-05-2004, 05:58 PM
You could do worse than the KR-9600 several have mentioned, and not many better.
The big Kenwood matches its big output with a primo tuner section.
They are still affordable, too. $300 would be the high side?
Pioneer also had some exceptional tuner sections. The SX-1250 (or the black SX-5590 I had) and the SX-1010 and SX-828 all featured fine 5-gang tuners.

johnda
10-29-2006, 12:00 PM
I have a Pioneer SX-780 and a Sony STR-6055, I did own a Kenwood KR-7600 but because it would not fit in my stereo cabinet(too wide) my son-in-law now has it. As far as the overall performance goes, I would rate my Sony over the Pioneer and the Kenwood at the top of the heap. But this is a very close rating. They all are really great!

ashnut
10-29-2006, 12:21 PM
I agree. The older Sony's (STR-6055, STR-6065) seem to lock onto the weaker signals. And with great mpx separation, to boot. I love 'em. Handily beat my Kenwood, Sansui, Pioneer receivers. Although my Sansui is a bit fussy with the mpx, once it locks on, it's pretty good. BTW, want a early SS that isn't bright, try Sony...

SoCal Sam
10-29-2006, 01:43 PM
My Sony STR-V7 is mellow and not bright at all. My favorite receiver is the Marantz 2500 but it requires care. I am not into FM but if I had to choose, Yamaha does a nice tuner.

reggaenaut
11-19-2006, 09:41 AM
Sony 6060f:great tone.

beemer
11-19-2006, 03:44 PM
Kenwood KR-9600. Most excellent tuner for DX. Very sensitive.
The KR-7600 was no slouch either.

9600's seem to be well under the radar pricewise, I paid $150 for mine, a solid 8.7 on a scale of 10. LOL I'm missin' the rackhandles though.

Best,

Paul :thmbsp:

tarior
11-27-2006, 12:46 AM
I like Kenwood tuners, even the cheap ones work well. Marantz tuners are good, if you can find one that doesn't need aligned (hens teeth). Pioneer and Sansui tuner sections are usually great, too.

theblackknight
11-27-2006, 05:41 PM
marantz 7 gang model 19. period. end of story.

cheon57
11-27-2006, 06:06 PM
Sansui. I really like the look and sound of the x000 Series. 1970 thru about 1973 seem to be the years that draw my eye the most. The wooden cases, when polished, give the units a rich, full yet subtle look that well represents the way they sound when properly matched with other components. My QS-500 seems to fit well with the 2000A and I am curious to see how it fits with the 5000.:smoke:

pmsummer
11-27-2006, 07:04 PM
Mac-4100.

Roypercy
11-28-2006, 10:42 AM
My Setton RS-440 has a 4-gang tuner and sounds great. Tremendous reception.

I know Settons get more attention for their looks than their sonics, but it's my favorite receiver so far; very rich sound, sweet high end, not overly bright at all.

SDA SRS 1.2
11-28-2006, 01:51 PM
Another vote for the KR-9600. VERY sensitive tuner - won a contest with it back in '79 for being the furthest listener from the radio station! :)

auplater
12-02-2006, 11:07 AM
I've got 4 nakamichi 730's I've restored and I swear by them. Powerful smooth non screechy amp... 2 tape loops, best fm section around... and that Scandinavian chunk of metal look we all loved back in the late 70's early '80's... the things weigh upwards of 50 #'s though...

pretty cool receiver for $150 - $350 on average

John L.

mwetzel
12-15-2006, 10:45 AM
The harman Kardon 930 receiver without question has the best tuner section

alexkerhead
12-15-2006, 05:03 PM
My Marantz 2270's tuner section is easily the best in all my receivers.
Marantz always made sure they used a good tuner, don't know why, but they did.
My SX-1250's tuner, it isn't all that good, but better than a lot of receivers out there.

tarior
12-15-2006, 06:12 PM
My SX-1250's tuner, it isn't all that good, but better than a lot of receivers out there.
I think you need to have that 1250 looked at. It should have the best tuna by far.

alexkerhead
12-15-2006, 11:39 PM
I think you need to have that 1250 looked at. It should have the best tuna by far.
Checked out fine on my oscilliscope.:boink:
Oh, and I don't run antennas to anything, so that may be why the 2270 picks up better.

theblackknight
12-16-2006, 12:07 AM
You dont run antennas to anything, Alex???!!!!:nono: As great as my Concept is, it cant pick up much at all without an antenna. Once I hook one up thats 1 foot long, I pick up stations from, like, everywhere. Amazing tuner.:yes:

Get that thing hooked up properly, Alex.

alexkerhead
12-16-2006, 12:12 AM
I will someday, but I pull and reinsert things so often, and don't listen to radio, so yeah, not really necessary.
Although there is a channel I can pick up I like, but it only plays what I like at 2am in the morning...errr

theblackknight
12-16-2006, 12:18 AM
You must either have a bad selection of stations or picky-genre-syndrome.

I listen to almost anything--I like Christmas music A LOT, Classic rock, some new rock, rap at parties, and pretty much anything you can think of except for that Gregorian chant stuff they play at old churches, alternative music, and death metal. I dont like metal because it sounds the same on both good systems and bad systems. Hard to hear any music charachteristics in it at all.:no:

alexkerhead
12-16-2006, 12:52 AM
I like ballads mainly. Classical and opera. 40s, 50s, 60s, and 70s common music. I am picky I admit.

Alabama stations play mostly country and new pop music.

merrylander
12-16-2006, 09:19 AM
I can only speak for what I have and for what has gone across my bench. The house systems are all Yamaha from the CR-800 in the shop to the CR-1000 in the bedroom. Except for the CR-2020 in the Family room that is hooked to the FM turnstile in the Garage attic with RG-6 all the others are using those twin lead antennas. FM is fine in the shop with WBJC as it is commercial free. It looks like WGMS will be toast for classical as Dan Snyder is buying it up so he can broadcast that bunch of losers he calls a feetball team.

Get excellent stereo on all the Yamahas, The Sony STRs mentioned all had good tuning sections, Pioneers I have had SX-650, 950 1250 and 1950 go through here, from the 950 on up all seemed to have good reception. Sansui I have had 5050, 8080, 9090, 890, G3600, G8000 and fm seemed decent enough. You have to realize that all my bench has is a twin lead antenna tacked to the floor beams, not the world's best environment for reception.

Nearly forgot the three Yamaha 3020s that have been through here - that was by far the best of the lot.

Rob

tarior
12-16-2006, 01:16 PM
You have to realize that all my bench has is a twin lead antenna tacked to the floor beams, not the world's best environment for reception.

Rob
I usually just use a short piece of speaker wire.:D

ginovino
12-16-2006, 10:02 PM

My experience with the highly praised, vaulted and desirable Pioneer Sx-1250 has been very close to yours. I had 3 of them at the same time and sent them off to 2 different AK known Techs highly regarded for their outstanding work on vintage gear. Each unit cost me clost to $300 each for the full blown mods and alignments. The tuners in each of the units had thin sounding bass, mediocre selectivity, shallow sound stage and generally very average tuners.

AS for the Pre Amp & amps sections.... middle of the road at best. They sounded like the early seventies units they were. I sold all of them quickly!

In my posession during this same period I had A Sansui G9700, Sansui G901(G9000 with a gold face plate), Kenwood Kr-9050 and a Setton 440. The Sansui's unmodded blew the Pioneers away! I had all of the units driving Both my Theil CS-3.5, then my CS-3.6's and my small Martin Logans.. The pioneers ran out of gas and clipped when driven hard, the Sansuis cruised along as did the Kenwood....

The tuner section of the G9700 was not as selective as the G901... and its power supply was smaller, even though it produced more wattage(200wps). I sold the g9700 and kept the Kenwood and the Sansui G901..... they are superb units sonically and show themselves quite well against my larger system comprised of : Bryston Bp-20p, 7b-sst mono blocks, Sansui T-919, 9900, Kenwood kt-917 & 600t tuners.:music: :tresbon:

alexkerhead
12-16-2006, 10:21 PM
ginovino, I think there may have been another underlying problem with your 1250 systems, the preamp and amp sections of the SX-1250 are superb from my experience.

Or your ears just don't like pioneer's crystal sharpness, either way the sx-1250 is well above middle of the road..IMO

Just so you understand, I never intended to disrespect the sx-1250, I just think the tuner isn't all that super.
I like my sx-1250 a LOT.
Unmodded, it easily trumps most receivers in it's wpc class in tone and clarity(IMO). I personally find sansui's audio reproduction to be a little odd, but everyone's ear drums are different, so to each his own.
Although i admit, I am not all that picky, I don't have a problem listening to anything as long as it is not muddy.

ginovino
12-16-2006, 10:43 PM
You missed my point about the Sonic flavor of the pioneers in my stable. Regardless of who modded them. They failed to perform at any level remotely approaching my main system and several degrees less that the Kenwood and Sansui units playing through the same speakers.

My sense is that Pioneer aficianados, seem to use speaker systems of less than stellar performance criteria. While this is a generality of the largest magnitude, Few if any, are firing up the Sx-xxxx units with Rogers, Ohm, Spendor, Theil, SONUS FABER, Paradigm, Martin Logan, Dali, Vanderstine to name just a few...

I will leave them to their own devices, though continue to have a contrarian opinion of the worshipped Pioneer sx-1250 and its worst big brother Sx-1950!

Thanks for the response!

alexkerhead
12-16-2006, 10:57 PM
You missed my point about the Sonic flavor of the pioneers in my stable. Regardless of who modded them. They failed to perform at any level remotely approaching my main system and several degrees less that the Kenwood and Sansui units playing through the same speakers.

My sense is that Pioneer aficianados, seem to use speaker systems of less than stellar performance criteria. While this is a generality of the largest magnitude, Few if any, are firing up the Sx-xxxx units with Rogers, Ohm, Spendor, Theil, SONUS FABER, Paradigm, Martin Logan, Dali, Vanderstine to name just a few...

I will leave them to their own devices, though continue to have a contrarian opinion of the worshipped Pioneer sx-1250 and its worst big brother Sx-1950!

Thanks for the response!
Everyone knows the SX-1980(not 1950...sheeesh) isn't the quality soundwise of the sx-1250 and sx-1280.

I won't take this arguement any furthur however, you seem to have a mindset of pioneer being bad, which makes it impossible to talk sense into you.

Oh, and being a snob isn't very appealing, and don't try and deny it, you are a audio snoot for sure..:thmbsp:

Edit: oh, and please refrain from stating your OPINION as fact, you need to understand your hearing may be different from other people's hearing.

Whitehall
12-17-2006, 03:12 PM
Speakers do make a difference and can be very particular about the front end driving them.

Thiels would be a challenge for any vintage unit, I'd think.

For me, both my Marantz 4300 and Sony recievers have had, once aligned and up to snuff, very good tuners. The Marantz was warming than the Sonys but the Sonys had more punch.

reggaenaut
12-17-2006, 06:44 PM
I quess what Giovino is saying is that Pioneer 1250 does not perform so well with upscale speakers when compared with the Kenwoods and Sansuis in his possesion. In view of the fact that he had three 1250, I must afford him some credence.

rickon66
12-17-2006, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by theblackknight.
marantz 7 gang model 19. period. end of story
Strong reccomendation. Have you owned one of those beasts? I would like to hear one and see how the tuner works down here in hilly Tennessee.

ginovino
12-17-2006, 09:43 PM
Everyone knows the SX-1980(not 1950...sheeesh) isn't the quality soundwise of the sx-1250 and sx-1280.

I won't take this arguement any furthur however, you seem to have a mindset of pioneer being bad, which makes it impossible to talk sense into you.

Oh, and being a snob isn't very appealing, and don't try and deny it, you are a audio snoot for sure..:thmbsp:

Edit: oh, and please refrain from stating your OPINION as fact, you need to understand your hearing may be different from other people's hearing.

Of being a Snob-- I may be duly guilty.. though I have had over 45 years of audiophile experience both good and many times bad to call upon to develop this trait.

Born into a working class family of 5 children, 4 of which were born during the great depression, my ever working Dad had a love for music on a non existant budget. I was the lucky one being the youngest. My dad tried as he might, could'nt quite put together enought greene to match the right stuff with the gear on hand. In fact, we did own a Marantz model 10 tuner( I think it was a gambling debt owed to him), We never realized it's through potential. A handful of EICO kits and Bozak speakers with homemade cabinets. Finally hit the big time with a Fisher 500-c receiver a lowly 30wpc. He never went beyond that, while I marched off to war. During those years and henceforth, a plethora of cash, lady friends and Gear passed through my hands in no particular order.

I promised to myself as my lot in life improved, so would my audio systems. Along this path I have made many audio purchase mistakes, some of which were costly.

While I don't currently own the latest "beast of the week" or "Cartridge of the Crowd", I do have very sonically repectable and satisfying electronics to reproduce my collection of 2000+ pieces of vinyl and accompanying CD's. I am not above owning used gear nor gear which may have been the "cats meow" a few years back. Audio reproduction is a journey, not a destination.

Frankly, I attribute my purchase of the units I previously wrote of to my "kid whose nose is pressed to the glass" scenario. While growing up these where the units to own. Now with the wherewithall to afford them in quantity, here I am! Simply they didn't taste as good as they looked.

This speaks to AR-3a's, JBL 100s, Yamaha NS-1000, Polk 10B, Spica t-50, Allisons, Snells, oh Yes---Pioneer SX-1980-SHEEESH!- whose a snob?

I have fortunately developed the ability to discern quality audio reproduction within the confirms of my 45 years of listening experience. I never claimed my system was the paradigm to judge all systems or all equipment for that matter. I spoke specifically and to the point of the Pioneer SX-1250 (3 of them). While they are built like the proverbial tanks and simply gorgeous to look at, Style does'nt equal substance using todays measurement criteria.
I am disappointed it is so-and thus aquiring 3 to dispel any doubts -"Say it ain't so Joe, say it ain't so"! :tears:

Do these read like the words of a snob? or more like a disappointed grown up kid? :scratch2:

SoCal Sam
12-17-2006, 09:47 PM
I've own two Marantz 2500's and the tuners are not very sensitive nor are they particularly quiet. I also have a 2385 that is a much better performer. The tuner sections are similar to the 2130 Quartz Lock tuner but cannot come close performance wise. I've also owned the Pioneer 1250 and the 1980, both tuners are very good. I also like my STR-V7 tuner, not SS bright at all. The best receiver tuner I've owned is the lowly Concept 4.5. It is very sensitive and quiet and can tune without an antenna, even in the hills where I live.

pbj44
12-17-2006, 10:44 PM
You are on target Sam! The tunas in the Sony STR5-7 series (magnificent beasts!!!) are top notch 5 gang tunas that can swim with the best of them!:thmbsp:

alexkerhead
12-17-2006, 10:56 PM
Of being a Snob-- I may be duly guilty.. though I have had over 45 years of audiophile experience both good and many times bad to call upon to develop this trait.

Born into a working class family of 5 children, 4 of which were born during the great depression, my ever working Dad had a love for music on a non existant budget. I was the lucky one being the youngest. My dad tried as he might, could'nt quite put together enought greene to match the right stuff with the gear on hand. In fact, we did own a Marantz model 10 tuner( I think it was a gambling debt owed to him), We never realized it's through potential. A handful of EICO kits and Bozak speakers with homemade cabinets. Finally hit the big time with a Fisher 500-c receiver a lowly 30wpc. He never went beyond that, while I marched off to war. During those years and henceforth, a plethora of cash, lady friends and Gear passed through my hands in no particular order.

I promised to myself as my lot in life improved, so would my audio systems. Along this path I have made many audio purchase mistakes, some of which were costly.

While I don't currently own the latest "beast of the week" or "Cartridge of the Crowd", I do have very sonically repectable and satisfying electronics to reproduce my collection of 2000+ pieces of vinyl and accompanying CD's. I am not above owning used gear nor gear which may have been the "cats meow" a few years back. Audio reproduction is a journey, not a destination.

Frankly, I attribute my purchase of the units I previously wrote of to my "kid whose nose is pressed to the glass" scenario. While growing up these where the units to own. Now with the wherewithall to afford them in quantity, here I am! Simply they didn't taste as good as they looked.

This speaks to AR-3a's, JBL 100s, Yamaha NS-1000, Polk 10B, Spica t-50, Allisons, Snells, oh Yes---Pioneer SX-1980-SHEEESH!- whose a snob?

I have fortunately developed the ability to discern quality audio reproduction within the confirms of my 45 years of listening experience. I never claimed my system was the paradigm to judge all systems or all equipment for that matter. I spoke specifically and to the point of the Pioneer SX-1250 (3 of them). While they are built like the proverbial tanks and simply gorgeous to look at, Style does'nt equal substance using todays measurement criteria.
I am disappointed it is so-and thus aquiring 3 to dispel any doubts -"Say it ain't so Joe, say it ain't so"! :tears:

Do these read like the words of a snob? or more like a disappointed grown up kid? :scratch2:

Thanks for the informative post.
I can understand your want to own something among the best, but please, and I say this as someone who respects you, remember, most people here are somewhat "poor" and a $225(even $400) sx-1250 is the best for the money you can get(power and sound quality wise)(in my opinion).
Keep in mind, even thought you like Sansui, a lot of people have said the same exact thing about Pioneer as you say about Sansui.

Just because someone has had 45 years of listening experience, doesn't make them a better judge if someone else thinks something else sounds better.
Personal tastes are just that, personal.:thmbsp:

tarior
12-17-2006, 11:36 PM
" and a $225(even $400) sx-1250 is the best for the money you can get(power and sound quality wise)(in my opinion).

I don't know, you might pick up some Krell gear at a yard sale....
But really, for the $ the receivers from the '70's are certainly tough to beat, stupid deals on high end equipment not withstanding.
Which one sounds best is purely subjective.

alexkerhead
12-17-2006, 11:40 PM
I tend to agree, but look where I live, everyone down here thinks McIntosh is a computer. :)

tarior
12-17-2006, 11:57 PM
I get a lot of "they make stereos, too?"
Speaking of McIntosh, there are plenty of detractors out there for them, too. I might even have a gripe or two.

alexkerhead
12-18-2006, 12:12 AM
It just bottoms out to personal tastes I guess, no one person or few people can offer good audio advice, unless you know you have similar tastes.

elling
12-22-2006, 11:45 PM
The two best receivers I've ever used (by a considerable margin) were the Marantz 19 and the McIntosh 4100. The Marantz 19 has the same tuner as the 20b, and the McIntosh 4100 has the MR75 tuner. Both are outstanding.

If choosing one for personal use I would buy the McIntosh, as (1) the McIntosh amplifier section is better, (2) I sometimes listen to AM and the McIntosh has a great AM section (no AM on the Marantz), (3) I like the McIntosh 5 band equalizer and variable loudness control and (4) better repair/parts availability for the McIntosh.

Redcatcher199th
12-24-2006, 07:39 AM

Well I had a 2285b It was like I just got ear's :whip: < myself for selling

it :tears:

Brian..... :smoke:

alexkerhead
12-24-2006, 11:55 AM
Well I had a 2285b It was like I just got ear's :whip: < myself for selling

it :tears:

Brian..... :smoke:

:tears:
I would have surely kept the 2285, as I keep everything now.:yes:

gearhound
01-23-2007, 06:49 PM
I used a Marantz 2230 for years....as good a mid-powered receiver as there is.
Then I stumbled upon a Harmon Kardon 450 receiver.....can do everything the Marantz 2230 can do....but even sweeter sounding....and far cheaper!
Steve

roseskunk
01-25-2007, 09:31 PM
i always gotta fly the flag for the mac 4100...nothing finer...of course my experience is limited...

influx
01-26-2007, 09:30 AM
Here's what I have or (had):
Pioneer SX's 1050, 1080, 950, 980
Sansui G8000
Sony Str 7800SD, 6800SD, V6
Yamaha CR840
Realistic STA 2280

FWIW in my small collection:

Best performing tuner of the bunch is the V6 very quiet and very sensitive. Best sounding is a draw here and it's between the G8000 and the 7800SD/6800SD (the Sony's tuner sections and preamp are identical) they are both 4 gang and not as quiet as the above; the V6 is 5 gang. I wind up listening to the 6800SD the most of all three because it's in the basement (where the computer and workbench are) and I'm quite happy with it.

hutson
01-26-2007, 10:20 AM
Tandberg Tr-2075 for me hands down. Locks down every station I wanna hear and has plenty of power.

arrow 68
01-29-2007, 12:04 AM
I really like my old Quadraphonic Panasonic SA 6400X. I have not used it long, but for what you can get one of these for, I would recommend it. Not a power house at 38 WPC in 2 Channel, but you might be surprised. It can run 8 Sets of Speakers. Shoot for the 6800X. 53 X 2.

johnda
02-01-2007, 11:01 PM
Update: I now own a Kenwood KR 6600 (60 watts/channel) excellent. That is now in the number one slot.

The Sony STR 6055 is in second place.

The tuner on the Pioneer SX-780 has gone south, so it will be used in amplifier mode only.

barrynsue
02-01-2007, 11:28 PM
marantz 7 gang model 19. period. end of story.

I'll go along with this same choice for the moment as I just got my 19. However, I must say the MAC 1900 and 4100 would be right up there if not better. I do like the Scope on the 19 but that has very little to do with overall sonics other than tuning.

gyusher
02-02-2007, 04:18 AM
My 1050 Luxman is one of the few receivers noticed and reviewed by "TIC" and for good reason. . .It works great, sounds great and is soon going to get a lot better after it gets to visit RadioX. Soon. . .

tubes_rule
02-17-2007, 06:45 PM
I've got a Sansui TU719 that was modded by Joseph Chow and I love it. I'm in a slight river valley and have no problem pulling in my favorite station. As for a rcvr I've got a Sansui 8080 out in the garage.