View Full Version : DeoxIT question

Maron
01-13-2009, 01:02 AM
A quick question for those who have been using Deoxit for a while . The cleaner and lube that we use on pots and the like , is it like a typical oil that attracts dirt and dust ? If so , how often is it recommended to clean and re-lube . If it is attracting dust , I would think that it would slowly wear on the contacts . :scratch2:

John James
01-13-2009, 07:49 AM
Spray some on a piece of glass or a piece of metal and let it sit for a few days and tell us what you see. :scratch2:

SolutionRoom
01-13-2009, 11:13 AM
A quick question for those who have been using Deoxit for a while . The cleaner and lube that we use on pots and the like , is it like a typical oil that attracts dirt and dust ? If so , how often is it recommended to clean and re-lube . If it is attracting dust , I would think that it would slowly wear on the contacts . :scratch2:

Deoxit "D" breaks down corrosion and oxidation with the primary solvent ingredient, which soon evaporates (within 5-10 minutes usually) and leaves this reddish colored liquid residue, which can act as somewhat of a lubricant. BUT, for the best lubrication, you should follow up the main deoxit "D" treatment with either Faderlube "F" or Pro Gold "G". Faderlube is primarily a lubricant. Pro Gold is a combination deoxit/lubricant product, but not as powerful as straight Deoxit "D".

I studied up on these products many years ago for my recording studio equipment. The Caig line is like no other and is essentially unmatched for connector, fader, switch, basically all electrical contacts. It just works. And no, I do not work for Caig, just call it like I see it. If it works, it works.

The Caig products do not attract dust/dirt. They are not heavy oils, but finer/thinner engineered lubricants for a specific niche purpose.

tasha
01-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Deoxit "D" breaks down corrosion and oxidation with the primary solvent ingredient, which soon evaporates (within 5-10 minutes usually) and leaves this reddish colored liquid residue, which can act as somewhat of a lubricant. BUT, for the best lubrication, you should follow up the main deoxit "D" treatment with either Faderlube "F" or Pro Gold "G". Faderlube is primarily a lubricant. Pro Gold is a combination deoxit/lubricant product, but not as powerful as straight Deoxit "D".

I studied up on these products many years ago for my recording studio equipment. The Caig line is like no other and is essentially unmatched for connector, fader, switch, basically all electrical contacts. It just works. And no, I do not work for Caig, just call it like I see it. If it works, it works.

The Caig products do not attract dust/dirt. They are not heavy oils, but finer/thinner engineered lubricants for a specific niche purpose.

Okay, Caig's is the best but do you spray or use drops on the equipment? Couldn't help but notice on their web site that they offer a thin tipped droplet applicator. Looks like the droplet dispenser would make the product go further?

SolutionRoom
01-13-2009, 11:27 AM
Okay, Caig's is the best but do you spray or use drops on the equipment? Couldn't help but notice on their web site that they offer a thin tipped droplet applicator. Looks like the droplet dispenser would make the product go further?

If you use the spray can with straw tube, the pressure is pretty high and will both splatter and waste some. Often not intended goals, especially how freaking expensive this stuff is. The dropper bottle with applicator is good for placing the product exactly where you want/need it without splash out or waste. Just another delivery method. Works great for RCA/1/4 inch connectors and such.

tasha
01-13-2009, 08:35 PM
If you use the spray can with straw tube, the pressure is pretty high and will both splatter and waste some. Often not intended goals, especially how freaking expensive this stuff is. The dropper bottle with applicator is good for placing the product exactly where you want/need it without splash out or waste. Just another delivery method. Works great for RCA/1/4 inch connectors and such.

Thanks for the info. I have been using a can of Radio Shack stuff. It flies everywhere when used. So I had the bright idea of seeing all the Caig products hence the question. Looks like it Caigs next purchase.

terra1
01-13-2009, 09:01 PM
My experience is it cleans pots and switches and contacts so your component runs quieter and it can fix weak channels and static. Revives components others have given up on so you can get some good deals.

Any concern about attracting dust is negated by its results. Your component attracts dust and corrosion even without Deoxit.

Actually a little lube like Faderlube for pots actually is good as it actually lubricates pots. Lube is a good thing. Deoxit and Faderlube can help flush away that scraping stuff.

I clean and re-lube as necessary.

Deoxit/Faderlube is the cure. Enemies like storage, corrosion, exposure to the environment and years of inactivity is what you should worry about.

Maron
01-13-2009, 10:05 PM
Cool , thanks for the great info . :thmbsp: