View Full Version : Telefunken Console

Van_Isle
01-14-2009, 01:31 AM
Anyone know anything about a Telefunken Concerto 5296 WK console unit? My inlaws have one, intact, not used in years. Nice piece of teak furniture ... but is it any more than that?

cademan
01-14-2009, 05:02 AM
Hmmmm....:scratch2: Tell them it isn't worth squat, and I'll come over and take it off of their hands. :D Just kidding! :yes: A Telefunken is a very collectible piece of furnature. Just curious, do they want it checked out? Does it work? If you're into that sort of thing, you could offer to look it over for them, clean it up, replace caps if necessary, but don't let them get rid of it. Unless you have your eyes on it! :thmbsp:

resound
01-14-2009, 10:08 AM
They're pretty much all the same as far as configuration.
A combination radio/amp chassis and a Turntable.
Cool Eams Era Styling. Some have trays for an optional RTR.

They usually have really nice veneers also. I like them and use one for my daily stereo at home. Zoomed up though because they have no real power.
Sweet sounding balanced output with presence from the Telefunken tubes.

Cool because they're different.

Get us some pics. :yes:

sloober
01-14-2009, 12:48 PM
I love 'em. Want to get one someday. But the tubes are most likely worth more than the whole thing. John

PS- Love to see a photo.

socioloco
01-15-2009, 12:26 PM
:worthless

Van_Isle
01-15-2009, 05:16 PM
Yes, well thanks for the input but unfortunately pictures will have to wait till I am over there next. You also have to keep in mind I believe I have already maxed-out my "mother-in-law quota" for the week :D

Van_Isle
07-29-2009, 06:49 PM
Well, I finally remembered to take some pics when I was over.

The pivot on the turntable arm is toast - turntable is a model "504".

buckeye1010
07-29-2009, 07:33 PM
Does it have some nice telefunken 12AX7's?

winters860
07-29-2009, 09:24 PM
Cool piece. A lot of us (and I'm guilty of this a couple of times over) look at a console and start mentally breaking it down - does it have a separate power amp that can be adapted for standalone use? If not, could the tubes and transformers be salvaged for other use?

In this case, that'd be really unfortunate. That design is a winner and its chief value is probably as a piece of mid-century decorative furniture. I'd give it house space if I had any left. :D

Van_Isle
07-29-2009, 09:47 PM
That design is a winner and its chief value is probably as a piece of mid-century decorative furniture. I'd give it house space if I had any left. :D

Well, it will have house space as we are moving into that house ... and this is one of the pieces that are being left behind by my in-laws.

My concept was to break it down - carefully remove the existing electronics. Maybe convert the speakers to storage (thinking perhaps I could rig the grill covers up to swing open). Our 42-inch LCD TV will sit on top. I think the HT receiver, DVD player, etc. will sit on an adjacent teak cabiinet that we have, but maybe they would fit below in this unit. My original thought was to put my stereo stuff in here and have the TV downstairs in the rec room with the HT setup ... you would think that would be logical, but I am being vetoed. Thinking again, I'll have to check dimensions but perhaps the speaker spaces on this unit would be large enough to hold by Paradigm 3SE Mini's or my Titans as fronts.

JGlenn
07-30-2009, 09:20 AM
I think that would really be kind of a shame to tear that apart to make a cabinet. I mean its in such nice shape and it has family history and all.