View Full Version : Fisher speaker ID help?

deeder7001
01-15-2009, 01:41 AM
I'm in the process of possibly buying these speakers. The seller says he doesn't know the model number but says they work great. All through email at the moment. Anybody know the model of the speakers and if they're any good/halfway good(ish)?

The pic is from the CL ad.
There's also a receiver but I'm not really interested in that part of the deal.

Sir.Byrd
01-15-2009, 01:53 AM
No.

Don't get them

deeder7001
01-15-2009, 01:56 AM
They that bad?

Sir.Byrd
01-15-2009, 02:03 AM
They that bad?

Some people may argue against me... but I owned their bigger brothers and the build quality on these is less than stellar.

In the end they probably won't be keepers.

deeder7001
01-15-2009, 02:06 AM
I'm going tomorrow to check them out. I'll know for sure then if it'll be worth it or not.

Sir.Byrd
01-15-2009, 02:07 AM
I'm going tomorrow to check them out. I'll know for sure then if it'll be worth it or not.

Good, don't let my opinion decide for you, its just that: an opinion.

deeder7001
01-15-2009, 02:18 AM
If it looks broke, worn out, torn up, don't sound good, I ain't buying it. I always look at the current condition of stuff I buy from CL. So far haven't passed on anything I've bought but there's always a first.

I'm taking my Zen mp3 player with me as well. To help get a better feel for the gear.

MarkAnderson
01-15-2009, 02:21 AM
These indeed look like crap.

deeder7001
01-15-2009, 02:28 AM
I think they look cool but the real question is about how they sound?

Sir.Byrd
01-15-2009, 02:31 AM
I think they look cool but the real question is about how they sound?

Think, thin cabinets, no crossover, cone tweeter and boomy bass?
:boring:

deeder7001
01-15-2009, 02:34 AM
Sounds almost like a description of my Yamahas(minus the boomy bass).

Man Merced sucks.

Sir.Byrd
01-15-2009, 02:36 AM
Sounds almost like a description of my Yamahas(minus the boomy bass).

Man Merced sucks.

Don't forget thrift stores.

deeder7001
01-15-2009, 02:38 AM
There's only one that I know of in town not counting goodwill and the pawn shop. I may check it out because I'll be bored before I go to work.

deeder7001
01-16-2009, 03:47 AM
The receiver(RS-914a) I think was the better part of the deal even though I can't find didly about it.

The speakers(STV-758) aren't all that bad. With the right amount of EQing they don't sound too bad with the Fisher receiver. With the Kenwood(KM/KC-106) set I have, they sound halfway decent with no EQing.

Probably paid too much.

I think I may be slightly addicted to buying stuff I don't really want or need.

kermit z
01-16-2009, 08:16 AM
I think I may be slightly addicted to buying stuff I don't really want or need.

Aren't we all :yes:

Maestro_T
01-16-2009, 10:41 AM
I have what I guess is a late-1960's pair of Fisher XP-56's, which aren't bad (think "east coast sound"), although some new crossovers would probably improve their sound by this point in their lifespan. (Some on here would say that the best part of these speakers would be the cabinets and that's about it. ;) )

I've read virtually everywhere that after the early 1970's, Fisher speakers went to crap once the company was sold.

As for being slightly addicted...umm, I am heading down that path as I write this.

deeder7001
01-16-2009, 12:11 PM
I don't know what "east/west coast sound" is. All I know about sound is "good/bad" and that's about it.

The speakers are STV-758 from late 80s.

Fisherdude
01-16-2009, 12:16 PM
Hope ya didn't pay tooo much!

How's Merced these days? Grew up in the valley. Clovis Hi, Fresno State. When I worked out there my area was from the Oregon border to Reno/Tahoe and down to Bakersfield and Kettleman City.

My mom still lives in Coarsegold, and aunts in Fresno.

Know the area very well.:yes:

deeder7001
01-16-2009, 12:40 PM
I'd say Merced is deteriorating quite quickly. Boring and everybody's poor(including me). I like the people I work with though. So it's not all that bad.

I think I may have paid too much.

soundmotor
01-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Man Merced sucks.

I empathize.

Raised in Fresno, haven't been back since 1980.

Nearly forgotten all there was to dislike.

:D

deeder7001
01-16-2009, 12:53 PM
Merced wouldn't be so bad if there was something to do beside the movies and the mall. All the dislikes are still here, just more pronounced now. Fresno isn't as bad as Merced.

coward
01-16-2009, 02:03 PM
Hey Deeder,
If they don't sound too bad then whatever,they will work perfect for the amps and receivers your gonna test in the future.Yes,I'm optimistic your fortunes will change just be patient and keep learnin and cranking the tunes

All good.

cheers

Fisherdude
01-16-2009, 02:58 PM
Everything you do always becomes part of your ongoing education.:yes:

Keep in mind, although they're certainly not collectible, audiophile speakers, they do indeed play music quite well, and, assuming they're better than what you had, you'll enjoy them immensely. Don't get your stomach in a knot every time you turn it on.

Besides, you could sell them in a year or two and all it will have cost you is the difference between what you paid and what you get, which shouldn't be all that much.

Enjoy 'em!:thmbsp:

deeder7001
01-17-2009, 12:00 AM
For the moment, I'm not totally sure what I'm going to do with the new stuff. I'm thinking about putting some stuff in the living room as a complete system. My room is getting a bit crowded for speakers and gear.

sealy
01-17-2009, 12:47 AM
That makes you the exception then, because most of us have very modest collections. In my opinion, anyone with more than 1 pair of speakers is a speaker piggy.

Radfordman
01-17-2009, 08:33 AM
That makes you the exception then, because most of us have very modest collections. In my opinion, anyone with more than 1 pair of speakers is a speaker piggy.

Oink oink!!!:yes:

chicknman72
01-17-2009, 09:25 AM

That would be me too....LOL. I just got pair number 14 yesterday :music:
I have a pair of those STV 758?? They are in my basement, I use them when I do some work down there because they boom over all the noise I make. I got them for free, my very first set actually......they are terrific "party/garage speakers" which is why I haven't let them go yet.....they held me over until I could find what I wanted, and 13 pairs later (1 1/2 years), I am still soul searching, speaker collecting, being an audioholic,having too much time on my hands.....whatever you want to call it....:thmbsp:
But I must agree with the other "opinions" about the poor build quality and sound quality (from my own experience with them). If I am unsure about a purchase, I usually weigh everyone's opinion here on AK.....I usually get at least 20 quick responses. I usually compare the pros and cons...for example, I was going to buy two sets of Sansui's a month or so ago (mint condition), and I posted it on here, I had only 1 pro and 19 cons about them....(at least 10 said the same thing, that they were Kabuki)so I let them go. With the money I would have spent (250) I have a pair of Epicure, a set of Burhoe, and a set of vintage KLH....and I only spent 156.00.....so I saved 94 dollars (which I can put towards more equipment) and have three sets of much better sounding speakers....they may not look as pretty (Sansuis have some of the most beautiful cabinets), but they sure sound good. Everyone here on AK, from my experience, do all they can to help with all sincerity. They sure made an audioholic out of me. I still have a lot to learn, and I value them and their opinions.....without them, I would have spent a lot more.....and got less (quality)....that is just my 2 cents. :D