View Full Version : Dynaco 410

Bigyank
06-23-2004, 06:28 PM
What's everyones thoughts on this amp? For some reason I have always liked Dynaco have had many over the years and even keep an st-80 around as a test amp. I just don't know that much about this model!

Yank

GordonW
06-24-2004, 12:10 AM
The Dynaco ST400 and ST410s were Jim Bongiorno designs, before he went to SAE. Very impressive amp designs, ESPECIALLY considering that they came out in about 1974 or so! IMHO, the ST410 absolutely BLEW AWAY the Phase Linear 400, both in current capacity and majorly in overall reliability, and plain sounded better (less grainy) to boot. Other than the much-more-expensive Accuphase P300 and the big HK Citation amps of the time, probably the best sounding huge (greater than 150w/ch) amp out there, in its time, IMHO.

And believe it or not, there's a LOT of people out there (myself included) that think the ST410 (with it's much more bare-bones protection circuits) actually sounds better than the ST400 (the more expensive, "optioned-out" version) in stock form. Simpler signal path... hard to go wrong there!

If you like the ST80 sound... well, you ain't heard NOTHIN' yet. The ST410 is ANOTHER LEVEL of refinement and quality over the smaller Dynaco solid-state stuff...

Regards,
Gordon.

prrtraincow
01-23-2006, 10:12 PM
I've got a ST-400. My cousin had it for 20 years. I've used for home stereo, and even live performing. The thing is an absolute brute, dependability-wise, and sounds beautiful. I did have to do a bit of work on it - all just tightening things, and setting the bias current. This wasn't hard to do, but I could never have done it without the help of Kevin Boales (http://home.indy.net/~gregdunn/dynaco/components/ST400/chnl_fix.html)

I also have an ST-80 I use for home with a pair of AR-5 speakers. But the day my band quits using the 400, it's coming back home to be my stereo amp again!

d3imlay
01-28-2006, 03:40 AM
See my repsonse (#11) to the 400 post here. Dynaco 400 (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=53082)

The one thing I can say about the amps is that they rarely failed, if built properly by the kit builders.

markdi
01-28-2006, 07:11 AM
I have built some dynaco stuff

and some kits from southwest technical products

zero distortion preamp

plastic tiger - 30 watt amp

universal tiger - 120 watt amp.

I think I still have the preamp.

some day I may try to win a bid on a dynaco 400.

Doug Olitsky
08-29-2007, 02:46 AM
Has anybody seen a 410 modded like this??

I ended up getting this gratis and when I opened it up I was suprised to see all the guts have been upgraded

lots of mills, infinicaps, muse, solen.

I thought it was a van alstine Omega upgrade but it does not look tlike his stuff.

Also the heat sinks run real hot even when idle, I wonder if its running Class A

Any opinions from the chuckle patch would be interesting to hear.