View Full Version : Sansui SP2500 speakers

max-greece
10-08-2002, 09:29 AM
I just picked up a pair of these for free from a familly member and actually prefer them for much of my music over my existing Klipsch Heresy 2's.

The thing is I cant find out much about them. I know that they are rated at 80 watts RMS, were made between 1974 and 1976 and have 2 horn loaded tweeters, 2 mid-range drivers and a single 12 inch woofer but that is about it.

Anyone happen to have a sensitivity rating for them? Better yet, an impedance curve, or a copy of the manual?

Also, the cable attachments are those dreadfull clips. I wanted to replace these with more acceptable binding posts but alas on opening the speakers I find that the whole crossover circuit board is mounted in the way.

If anyone is interested there are a bunch of pics of the speakers on my photo site at http://groups.msn.com/BatMax1photos/stereo.msnw?Page=2

Ignore the first pic - that is just the new location of my Heresies (in the study).

TIA

Your newest board member

Grumpy
10-08-2002, 09:59 AM
Max

Here are some specs on your 2500's

Freq Range 50 to 20,000 Hz
Imp 8 Ohm
Max watts 80
Sensitivity 98 dB

Hope this helps

Grumpy

Tonto Yoder
10-08-2002, 10:15 AM
Why the wide difference in opinions on Sansuis??? The other thread on SP-1500's brought out a range from "awful" (my thought of the SP-200) to pretty good.

Do they vary that much from model to model?? Or do listeners vary that much??

TY

ProAc_Fan
10-08-2002, 10:22 AM
TY maybe the source of amplifiaction makes a difference but I stand by my previous opinion of Sansui speakers. All I can say is I've never heard a pair that I would give a second listen too. And yes, I have heard at least 3 different models of their vintage speakers.

Mike

max-greece
10-08-2002, 10:38 AM
I cant say I had any opinion on Sansui speakers until the weekend - hell - I didnt even know Sansui ever made speakers.

Having browsed some of the limited info I have found on them I can say that Sansui seemed to have produced innumerable models in a fairly short space of time.

I conversed with someone over on the Klipsch forums who had the model 2000. From what he describes they are not nearly as well put together as these things are.

I can also tell you that the last thing I ever expected was to find myself moving my beloved Heresies out of the way to make room for these, but there you have it.

I am not sure if my sig is working (havent looked at it yet) but if I got the coding right you should be able to click on it to see the surrounding electronics I have (all analogue/ tubes).

Just as another FWIW type thing my friend who has accuphase electronics with quad 989 speakers (i.e. some seriously respectable kit) loves them - so it is not just me that is barking mad.

Anyway in about 3 weeks the audiophile club of athens is going to descend on my house for a listening/drinking/eating session and I plan to subject them to the sansui's noise.

Will be interesting to garner opinions...

max-greece
10-08-2002, 10:39 AM
Thanks Grumpy

Tonto Yoder
10-08-2002, 12:04 PM
Max,
do I remember correctly that the Athens Club had a pretty high pedigree of gear???? Seems like I've seen some posts with pics of impressive electronics.

Generally, the members of this forum seem to have adopted the sensible position that "If you enjoy the sound, more power to you" so you needn't expect anything like ridicule for replacing Klipsch with Sansui. Not everyone will AGREE with your choice, but at least they'll do it politely.

The particular Sansuis I was given were from someone in the military--he got them in the PX at a supposedly great discount;
he actually still LIKED them, but that might have been nostalgia as much as the sound.

TY

bully
10-08-2002, 12:21 PM
I know that some people have called the SP-2500 perhaps Sansuis better speaker system.
They are very efficient, have a pretty smooth sound, and have a well-made cabinet (as I remember 'em). Mid-bass on up, they sounded OK, but the bottom really dropped below about 50 Hz.
But, like it has been said before (well, by me, anyway ;) ), record albums often didn't have much below 60 Hz then, anyway.
I preferred the CS-88A and CS-99A from Pioneer.
But the Sansuis were OK.
Much the same could be said and I've said it, for the Kenwoods from that same era.

pete

DaveM
10-08-2002, 02:27 PM
I stand behind my orignal claim that my Sansui SP-2000's sound very nice when listenting to vinyl, accurate & very detalied but the lower end could use some help.

However when listening to the radio they sound horrid, colored and cheap boxy sounding. Like it's a totally different speaker. Jeckyl & Hyde if you will.

Of course I don't use these in my main system but I do hook them up every now and then to show them off, they really do sound good for spinning vinyl. I kid you not.

Dave

THOR
10-08-2002, 05:51 PM
Good for you Max, see Pro Ac would never accept any pair of speakers based upon how they sound to him - he goes by their reputation so you will never see him have anything but contempt for lowly Sansui speakers, CV's too for that matter ;) :D ;)

BeatleFred
10-08-2002, 09:44 PM
Being the Huge Sansui enthusiast that I am, I can tell you that Loudspeakers were not Sansui's strongpoint in the way that their amps, receivers and tuners were. Nothing unusual about that- just like Fender is known for their classic electric guitars and Martin for their acoustics- but not vice versa. Sansui made just about every type of hi fi type of product you can think of- cassette decks, open reels, turntables, etc..., so realistically I dont expect everything they made to be perfect. Sansui had their roots early on in making transformers and so they developed into a company whose forte' was in the excellent design of their amplifiers.

Being the Sansui enthusiast I am, I of course did obtain a pair of their speakers to see how they'd sound a few years ago, which was the model SP-X8700 from 1979. The many large drivers were impressive as was the build quality. As for the actual sound, well..... not exactly my cup of tea. They, like most Sansui speakers are very efficient- thus not much amp power needed to hear music played Loud thru them. But in terms of sound quality- they seemed a bit tinny-sounding to me and no sense of any Soundstage, imaging etc... Huge 17" woofers- but so what if nothing special going on inthe bass dept anyway.

However.... I have read comments by other people Online (Owner reviews at www.audioreview.com) who do like the sound of Sansui speakers. And thats fine. Whats important is how they sound to your ears-> and if you like them- I'm glad to hear it. Certainly cant beat the price you got them for:) Even in the other post about the Sansui speakers- worth a try for $65, I think. If it doesnt work out, $65 isnt a huge loss and I'm sure they could easily be resold Online- maybe for even more $$ to another Sansui spkr enthusiast.

An online Sansui contact I have, and who did work as a Parts distributor for them back in the 1970's- agrees with my opinion on their speakers- SP-X8700's and most others -good for the loud disco music at the time but not in any way audiophile quality. He said of all the speakers Sansui made, the best model (and rarely seen) is the SP-L800 and 700's.

max-greece
10-09-2002, 02:04 AM
Interesting to read other's opinions on the Sansuis - especially Beetles as he had a pair.

From what I understand the pair in question were http://www.retroaudio.ru/sansui/speak/SP-X8700.shtml

The first thing I noticed about that particular model is that it is an asymetric design as opposed to the symetrical layout of my speakers.

It has been my experience that asymetric designs often have serious soundstaging / imaging problems and therefore Beetle's observations do not surprise me in the least.

These observations do not apply in my setup. One of the biggest changes in my system has been the improvment in the soundstage, not in terms of width, but in terms of depth. This is coupled with the second biggest change - image. The image cast by the Sansui's is far larger, more detailed and more credible than that of the Heresies.

I should point out at this stage that I am a soundstage and imaging nut (if it wasnt already obvious).

As an aside I would like to explain my logic when evaluating speakers that may help to explain where I am coming from.

I always start from a simple premise. That is that almost any speaker can be made to sound good if it is mated to the proper front end and in a decent acoustic space.

Acoustically I have the advantage over almost all of my fellow audiophiles (here in Greece) in that (out of pure luck) my living room has simply superb acoustics.

I therefore happily take room acoustics out of the equation when evaluating components at home.

That leaves the front end. To me evaluating a speaker is all about its marriage to the other components. My existing system was built around the Heresies. Much as I love the Heresy's I am the first to admit that they are a deeply flawed design.

This seemingly was the opinion of PWK when he built them (the name is no accident and comes from the fact that he was forced to use a woofer for the bass as opposed to the horn loaded bass driver found in the other speakers in the heritage range).

Couple this with the limited internal space available in such a small box, along with the sealed design and you have some fairly severe limitations.

The other major feature of the Heresy is also problematic. The horn loaded drivers used for both the tweeter and the mid range driver. These are what gives the Heresy that unique Klipsch sound, but concurrently, and in common with the rest of the Klipsch speakers, they can sound brutally hard in the wrong environment.

The cures for these ills are normally stated simply as using a tube front end to tame the highs and smooth out the mids. Couple this to a vinyl source and the result is as pleasant and relaxing a sound as it is possible to get out of Heritage speakers, if you position the speakers correctly.

When I talk about positioning I am refering not only to their relative positions in 2 dimensions but I am including height in the equation.

For me horn loaded speakers do not work well if the tweeter is at ear level (as opposed to other tweeter designs such as silk domes for example where that is the ideal level). Most people therefore mount the Heresies on low bases angled upwards. I have done the opposite. In my setup it is the woofer that is at ear height and I sit below the tweeter.

This carries the major advantage of maximizing the direct bass effect (Heresies are weak in bass anyway) whilst eliminating the problems of bass reflections from the solid floor in my room.

Of course to further boost the bass I use the one major leap forward in home music systems, a subwoofer - which, in my case is the REL Strata 3.

The REL is the most musical sub I managed to find and integrates so well with the Heresies you dont know it is there until you switch it off.

Now enter the Sansui's:

On the face of it there are distinct similarities between the Sansui SP2500 and the Heresy. They have similar internal volumes, use a 12 inch woofer and have horn loaded tweeters. The mid range is 2 paper cones verses a single horn loaded driver.

Sensitivity is similar at 98 db/w/m for the Sansui and 96 db/w/m for the Heresy. Both speakers are rated at 50 - 20,000 Hz.

After a few days of listening to the Sansui's (which are actually running in - they have been used that little) I have found the following:

1. They have a sweeter softer sound that is less obviously flavoured than the Heresies.
2. They have slightly less impact (although that seems to be changing as they run in and I optimize things around them better).
3. They have a larger face and more drivers firing out which creates simply more soundstage and a larger image when angled correctly.
4. They are less tiring to listen to.
5. They, in common with the Heresy, really benefit from tubes.
6. The bass from the speaker is slightly muddier than the Heresy's (ported drivers usually are) but hits harder as the spl climbs.
7. Their flaws are similar enough to the Heresy to benefit from similar vertical positioning and demand the use of a good sub.

Someone else commented here that Sansuis work well with vinyl and I agree entriely (although I have not tried them with other sources).

Overall I would say that you can probably get far more out of these speakers today than you could when they were made. The introduction of the sub-woofer in addition to the improvements in both tube amp designs (if not in tubes themselves) and in TT design really makes them shine like a new pin.

FWIW - these go for ludicrously small amounts of money on ebay (at time of writing I saw 2 - one at $20 and one at $10) and are well worth the investment if you fancy a play.

Sorry for the verbose reply - as usual I had too much to say for myself.

bully
10-09-2002, 09:48 AM
Nah, excellent post, Max, and it makes the points about the Sansui 2500 I remember (a long time ago, admittedly) hearing.
I do remember one guy had all Sansui gear. Early-70s, and no, I cannot recall the model receiver, he got it while in Vietnam, and it was most likely the TOTL available at that time (69-71). That set was tt, receiver, and the SP-2500. Typical college kid apartment in an older frame/lath house. Speakers were on the floor.
Hmmm, I wonder if he got the speakers later. Ah, those days are so long ago ...

max-greece
10-11-2002, 01:41 AM
I was hoping there would have been more of a response to my last entry. Must be sufficient food for thought there I would have thought....

Ah well - back to brevity in posts from now on!!

Thanks again

pdxotica
06-27-2008, 12:13 PM
I appreciate the comments, years later!

Looking at a pair here for 40, need to go take a listen.

:music:

secretsenor
07-16-2008, 06:07 AM
When listening to the radio they sound horrid, colored and cheap boxy sounding. Like it's a totally different speaker. Jeckyl & Hyde if you will.

Hmmm... This would say more about the radio wouldn't it?

Why is this so?

ferninando
07-16-2008, 08:12 AM
read the sp2500 spec sheet on sansui appreciation website

bluesky
07-16-2008, 02:49 PM
I know many people don't like Sansui speakers. I really have no idea why. My pair of SP-2000s sound pretty darn good by any measure. Origional caps and I wouldn't even dream of taking the backs off to do anything. They sound great as is!! No reason to mess with em. If it ain't broke I ain't fixing it. They sound like the way they are suppose to sound, sure seems so anyway. Sure, I know, they aren't 2008 'state of the art' audiophile $5000 plus speakers, they are 38 years old and cost under $100. Plus shipping, and they weigh a ton. I could get a more expensive speakers if I wanted to, no problem. But why?? SP-2000s sound great. I am quite pleased with them. & it's the "Sound of Sansui", the unmistakable Sansui sound, the sound I have loved since 1969. It's nice! I guess I got a lucky pair.

If your not into the ported speakers, try the AS (acoustic suspension) line, a totally different sound and really quite nice also, even better in it's own way than the SP series (speaker ported). They sound unbelievable. 40W. A tweeter and woofer. When you sit back and really listen to them your mind thinks just "wow".

I sincerely hope you enjoy your SP-2500s as much as I enjoy mine!! :thmbsp:

One other thing...they sound great with CDs too! Outstanding.

Morden2004
07-16-2008, 03:03 PM
I never criticize a members speaker choice because I can't live inside his/her head and I don't own their ears. :D

Clearly, we can identify the metrics with test equipment, but that never tells the whole story. My own personal experience is that several times I have heard speakers with impecable specs which sounded like shit (to me) and some that looked like they were designed by a grade school science class but which sounded terrific.

Go figure?

So, how can anyone make reasonable suggestions vis-a-vis speaker selections?

Paul

pmsummer
07-16-2008, 03:30 PM
http://www.sansui.us/images/Speakers/SP_3Digits/SP300_2.jpg

I had some SP-300s that I gave to my son-in-law (who loves horns). A very nice speaker. Smooth. Heavy.

nosirrah
07-17-2008, 03:37 PM
http://www.sansui.us/images/Speakers/SP_3Digits/SP300_2.jpg

I had some SP-300s that I gave to my son-in-law (who loves horns). A very nice speaker. Smooth. Heavy.

I have 2 pair of these, IMHO the best I have heard of any I've owned.
Casey

Ron Pond
03-22-2009, 03:10 AM
I drive my SP-2000s with a Leak Stereo 20 that I restored to original specs, along with its accompanying Point One Stereo pre-amp.

Absolutely fantastic when using vinyl or cds, given the Leak o/p is only 10w/ch and considering that I only paid $50 for them about 8 years ago.

There are a few SP-2000s to be found here in Oz that were brought back by diggers returning from Vietnam.

Ron.

stump69
03-23-2009, 02:26 AM
I have a pair of original SP-2500s purchased at the PX in Germany in 1974. Listening to my Phase 4 quadraphonic albums on a Garrard SL95B turntable, the sound was absolute perfection to me, and the soundstage captured every movement of each instrument in its proper location in the studio. Elvis' "Aloha From Hawaii" through the SP-2500s provided a "you are there" experience, complete with goosebumps when the orchestra came up during some of the tracks, especially An American Trilogy.
Another good example was on Lynn Anderson's cover of Sunday Morning Coming Down when the choir joined Lynn during the chorus. Great memories!

The albums were stolen in a military move and my beautiful Z9000x receiver destroyed in a later move. I just picked up a like new pair of SS-20 headphones on e-bay (I know, different forum).

Sansui Rocks!

Culpeper
04-05-2009, 06:27 PM
I run 2 pair of SP2500s on a HK 80W receiver. No complaints from me. I did look into the crossovers once. Decided not to mess with them. If its not broke don't fix it.

http://forum.stereophile.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=46572&page=0&fpart=3&vc=1

These are speakers working well on R2R, TT, CD and cassette. I've owned them about 5 years and they were mint when I got them. Absolutely not one thing not working to factory specs.

2channelman
02-28-2011, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the years of comments on the 2500s.....I am going to listen to a pair in mint condition for $40.... A few months ago I came across a pair of SP A3100....sealed box three ways that are apparently rare,unknown sealed box and built like tanks. The sound these are capable of producing is astounding given the age and the $12 pair price tag... I am curious to hear the 2500 and see how it compares...... All those sansui bashers......well, I got one pair so far that leaves many a jaw hanging open, the soundstage, ease, smoothness and impact are all addictive and musical to me..... I often wonder what is the dampening factor of peoples amplifiers when they cut on vintage speakers with huge drivers as having a lack of clean deep bass. Well, time for some time capsule fun.......I will report back

joekid
02-28-2011, 08:39 AM
[I]ve got two pair of the SP X9 for my 9090 an they sound great
Joe

larryderouin
02-28-2011, 12:44 PM
I've got a pair of 2500's I use with my Sansui 1000A. Also a pair of Bozak 207a's i think that's the number. The 2500's knock the Bozals down in so many ways. I will say this for the Bozak's tho. They sound better with my Fisher 400 than on the Sansui.

Probably the best $25.00 I've spent on speakers.

Larry

nosirrah
02-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Old post, but the results remain the same. I still love the SP 300's, If I could find the odd non-polar caps I'd re-cap them.
Just put a refurbed set of SP 3500's in the dining room, marvelous, simply marvelous.:thmbsp:

Culpeper
02-28-2011, 03:02 PM
Cool....:banana:

Mine are still going strong though I have replaced the caps since I last posted on this thread. I haven't been in the market for loudspeakers since I started using these.

HCeline
11-13-2011, 11:25 PM
Has anyone heard the Sansui SP2500x how do they compare/differ from the SP2500?
These will be driven by my G4500.

gbroot
01-21-2012, 08:43 PM
I paid 20.00 for my sp-2500 ebay find. Wasn't sure what to expect, and to be frank was disappointed initially. Then I began reading posts about caps need to be replaced in speakers that are 20 or more years old. I ordered the needed caps from Parts Express and after getting them soldered in was awestruck at the change in the overall soundstage. It is well documented that the bass on the 2500's is a little muddy. I added a sub and it is the perfect fix. I have recapped a set of late 60's pioneers as well with the same result.

ymarko
03-29-2012, 01:28 PM
It is well documented that the bass on the 2500's is a little muddy. I added a sub and it is the perfect fix.

So the adding a sub fixed the muddy SP-2500 bass?

gyrene
06-21-2012, 05:56 PM
When you say you added a sub are you saying you disconnected the bass speaker inside the SP2500 and only use the "sub" for bass?

OR are you saying you use a sub in addition to the existing speaker unchanged?

So thats one sub for the set of speakers or two subs?
Just asking.I like mine enough and have a second set of SP2500 guts including the crossovers with no cabinets.
I have been thinking of mounting the guts in a slightly larger box.Still researching that aspect.Or maybe using a Zilch crossover from off the econowave thread.

Culpeper
06-21-2012, 09:34 PM
Since I have a set of 4 I replaced the woofers with new better range ones. I have also had to tune them to some degree. That is to say speaker placement and disconnecting some tweeters and midranges because these speakers can break glass because of the crystal high frequencies they produce. In fact, Sansui used to promote these speakers by demonstrating they can, in fact, shatter glass. It was John Atkinson that told me about that. He personally seen the demonstration.

Adding a dedicated sub is not going to get rid of the muddy bass because the original muddy woofers are still blowing and going at the same time. Today's better functioning amplifiers can really bring out the best in these old speakers. Thus, the muddy woofers were not that bad. I just needed a little improvement. After all, they are going on 37 years old.

boband212
11-16-2012, 06:57 PM
hi, i have often thought that the best items sanui made were speakers. their speakers are generally very sensitive, and are clear. some can be too much in the mids and highs. the sp2500 would have a really nice sound. i am going to see about a pair tomorrow. i want to see how those compare to some klipsch speakers i have now, and how they sound with a tube amp- a jolida 102. i have a mac 1900, and marantz 1070. all sound nice. need a second pair of speakers. had a pair of klipsch delivered ups yesterday. damaged, and so cheap these days. made like junk- sounded good, but construction wise just junk. i am tired of everything being such overpriced plastic junk. i sure wish i had not sold my advent 6003s- rare, and sound great. why? ask myself that a lot these days. i am happy with jolida for the money, but real tired of black plastic junk. and too old and weak to handle 75 pound speakers. i cannot see paying $1500 for a pair of speakers with two 6" drivers, and a tweeter. Or maybe even 1 6" driver. What? Paradigm? Are those any good? Later guys. BobA.

Culpeper
11-16-2012, 09:24 PM
There is plenty of room to experiment with the SP2500. Example, since I run four at the same time I needed to disconnect some of the tweeters and midranges to bring that down a little. I also put in new woofers in one pair to bring the lows down a little too. Every room is different but the point I'm trying to make is the SP2500 is well built and can be tuned both with the controls on the back and your own improvements to suit your needs. I have not even thought about getting any speakers in the years since I got these. I'm also one of those that eventually replaced the capacitors. If I took the covers off I wouldn't be surprised to see if I blocked off a port or two as well.

I'm also curious about the Klipsch comparison. Old Sansui vs. New Klipsch.

tgarson
11-18-2012, 12:21 AM
Four points:

1) After the passage of these many years, the doped cloth half roll suspension on the 14" woofer (W-114) used in these speakers contracts rigor mortis, meaning the suspension stiffens up. I typically find their free air resonance, which should be around 40 Hz, to have risen to 75Hz, or higher. This gives rise to weaker bass than when new and excessive boominess.

2) The approximately 1.3 cu ft. net enclosure volume in the SP-3500 is too small for the 14" woofer, even when it was new. In order to achieve a "proper" modern woofer alignment, the enclosure needs to have about 3.5 cu ft. net. I think the SP-5500 has a slightly bigger box, but probably is still substantially too small.

Maybe somebody with time, skill, tools, and a flair for adventure, who owns a set SP-3500 speakers would be willing to cut the backs off their speakers and extend the box depth by the 10" required for them to achieve that volume and report back with the results. Of course, the ports would have to be re tuned at the same time. If someone actually wanted to do this, I would be wiling to work out, and provide, the port dimensions required for correctly re tuning the cabinets.

3) The W-114 woofer is rated for 50 Watts, even though it has an aluminum coil former. The reason for the low power rating is that it only has about 2mm of coil overhang outside of the magnet pole pieces, thus having very limited linear displacement capacity.

4) These speakers will have their best bass performance with an amplifier that has minimal damping, rather than the high damping associated with most modern amplifiers. Not coincidentally, Sansui amplifiers of the mid to late 1960s had low damping.

TG

Culpeper
11-18-2012, 12:12 PM
Is there a way to revitalize these old woofers?

bluesky
11-18-2012, 04:27 PM
Sansui Speakers:

I really like them. Sounds great to me. The 'Sound of Sansui'. Wouldn't have it any other way.

I've always wanted a pair of JBLs, but it's really not necessary. Not even looking for a pair, don't even know the model numbers really.

I'm very happy with Sansui speakers. Sounds great to me. Sounds really good with a TU-717 too, great really.

And the 12 inch AlNiCo woofer and mids...perfect. Perfect enough. Not bad for 43 year old speakers!! :)

There's always better, there's always worse.

Sansui speakers work for me. Sound good on low volumn and they crank if you want them too. And really even sound better when you turn up the volumn. But they sound sound great on low volumn too. "The big box sound".

Works for me. Quite happy, and 'content', with SP-2000s. And I reallly love the AS-100s too

crustex
11-21-2012, 01:57 AM
I have a pair of SP-3500's and they had very weak bass as previously described when I got them so one day I got to thinking and pulled out a hip hop LP with a 10 or 15 minute passage of nothing but bass and other low frequencies on it and I played it at an extremely high volume to a level that would have been totally intolerable with full range music and this got those woofers moving a hell of a lot more air than they had before or since..

Since then the bass response has improved...

Brute force audio I guess you could say

Charix
12-30-2012, 05:48 PM
I recently bought a pair of SP-2500 for $120 and they are perfect. There isn't a scratch or blemish anywhere, not even on the bottom of the cabinet. There grills are perfect and there are no tool marks on any of the screws. They are mint.

I thought they sounded pretty good but decided to replace the cross over capacitors. I bought Jantzen Audio capacitors from Parts-Express. It made an improvement that seems to get better the more I listen. The highs opened up and the mids are not as over whelming. Definitely a worth update.

After replacing the capacitors, I thought I should have made a video or at least taken some pictures. It may seem daunting to some but it isn't that bad. If anyone has questions please ask.

Now the interesting part...

Even though they were bought together, they are 50,000 different in serial number. The first cabinet I opened was the earlier unit and it has really long base ports. I was surprised they extended so close to the back. I completed the cross over and reassembled the cabinet. I opened the second cabinet and it has the short ports like every SP-2500 I can find has. I wish I had pictures of the long ports. I will take some eventually but I don't want to wear the wood threads by opening them too often.

I compared the bass of the two and the long port cabinet can reproduce low bass better then the short port cabinet does. The long port cabinet has a much fuller nicer bass.

I used a calculator at http://www.mobileinformationlabs.com to determine the port frequency. I used the following:

Cabinet volume: 1.5 cu ft
(1.8 cu ft - .3 cu ft for stuff in the box)
Port ID: 2.5”
Port Length #1: 6 1/4 x 2
Port Length #2: 3 1/8 x 2
Number of Ports: 2

With the calculator I had to guess port frequency until the length came up. I assume the length given is the sum of the two ports.

Cabinet #1: 35 hz
Cabinet #2: 46 hz

It seems like the port length is too short in cabinet #2. Interesting isn't it?

montelatici
12-30-2012, 05:55 PM
I just picked up a pair of these for free from a familly member and actually prefer them for much of my music over my existing Klipsch Heresy 2's.

The thing is I cant find out much about them. I know that they are rated at 80 watts RMS, were made between 1974 and 1976 and have 2 horn loaded tweeters, 2 mid-range drivers and a single 12 inch woofer but that is about it.

Anyone happen to have a sensitivity rating for them? Better yet, an impedance curve, or a copy of the manual?

Also, the cable attachments are those dreadfull clips. I wanted to replace these with more acceptable binding posts but alas on opening the speakers I find that the whole crossover circuit board is mounted in the way.

If anyone is interested there are a bunch of pics of the speakers on my photo site at http://groups.msn.com/BatMax1photos/stereo.msnw?Page=2

Ignore the first pic - that is just the new location of my Heresies (in the study).

TIA

Your newest board member

Hey, newest board member. Your photo site requires an account and a password!!

I have been interested in these speakers the SP 3500s specifically and there were some on sale locally. All the bad reviews made me hesitate. I later found a post by a former JBL design engineer who said that these speakers were actually designed for Sansui by JBL. Who knows. Maybe the bad reviews come because of the rap that was common in the 60s and 70s that said that the Japanese could not design speakers.

Charix
12-31-2012, 01:18 PM
Montelatici, here is my take on the SP-2500 so far:

First, play them. I don't think mine were used for a long time and playing has helped smooth them out. If yours hasn't been used in a long time, don't judge too harsh until they are loosened up and capacitors are replaced.

I like the sound. They have some personality, like any speaker, but I am happy with them. For this little review, know that I like popular music and use my Sansui Seven's equalization.

The most often complaint is lack of bass. The bass response is interesting. It isn't boomy or one noted or exaggerated like many base reflex systems. The lower frequency bass is actually quite good for a 12” woofer. The result of this is if your recording includes lower bass and your system is responsive in the lower bass they have plenty of bass.

I have a Sansui Seven and a Sansui 5050. The Seven has always had better sonic detail and strength then the 5050, especially in the lower bass. This difference is noticeable with the SP-2500s which really shine with the Seven. Additionally the SP-2500s seem efficient. The Seven can drive them louder then I need and I like it loud.

Listening to CDs, I have found that older recordings just don't have the lower frequency bass that newer recordings have. It is quite evident with the SP-2500s the difference in the recordings. Since they are not boomy in the upper bass these old recordings seem lacking compared to newer recordings which have lower bass and are quite satisfying. I don't judge this a fault of the speakers, reproducing the sound so you can hear what's there is a good thing. I don't listen to vinyl so I don't know how RIAA equalization sounds.

The mid-range and highs are quite strong, vocals are clear and instruments sound good. Replacing the capacitors has smoothed them out and I would recommend it. Additionally, I set the speaker tweeter to normal, mid-range to soft and when playing loud I set the Seven's mid-range equalization down a few notches. If you like acoustic instruments, orchestral, classic guitar, etc. you may want to leave the mid-range at normal. But if you like screamer rock, with the strong mid-range, these may not be for you.

Scorchin34
08-10-2013, 08:21 AM
I run a set of SP 2500 with my British Fidelity A1. As stated earlier vinyl sounds beautiful as well as any of the other sources. But when in the mood I do enjoy a smooth will balanced sound with good body and this power to speaker combo works beautifully in my opinion.

Peace,
Preston

AnalogDigit
08-10-2013, 08:47 AM
I like my pair of Sansui SP-2500's. I also have a pair of Pioneer CS-88A's also that the major complaint was a lack of bass. Well paired with a Realistic STA 2100 or STA 2000 and these speakers sound pretty nice. I even had to tame the mid bass by adding an EQ to the STA 2100. Very sensitive, it gets loud very quick and sounds pretty good with all kinds of music and formats.

HokieVT
11-29-2013, 04:36 PM
I found a pair here for $50. I may get them for my daughter's house just for the looks.

doctorb
03-27-2014, 02:02 PM
I got a pair of SP-2500's recently in trade. It took me a little while to warm up to them, but with some tweaking have come to find they sound pretty great! They're a very revealing speaker, lots of detail in the mid's and high's. The bass is enough for me, but I could see how some would think they lack in this dept.

I have them on the floor with a 1 1/2" wedge under the bottom front of the speaker (a la Heresy) to better direct the sound to my seated position. Lastly, I'm not sure why, but I find they sound better with the grills removed.