View Full Version : Winston-Salem Journal article on vinyl "comeback"

ke4jhj
03-06-2009, 06:42 AM
In today's Winston-Salem (NC) Journal is an article about the "comeback" of vinyl. Geez, can't they say records????

There is nothing new in this article that has not been covered in many others in the nation. There seems to be a common theme that "vinyl" appeals to a small group because of superior sound in spite of the "pops, skips and crackles". If the people who write these articles would take the time to learn about what they are writing about, they would know that "pops, skips and crackles", althought they can't be completely avoided, are not the normal.

Anyway, the article appealed to me because of the picture. It shows a record shaped like a circular saw blade sawing through an Ipod. Now that's justice!:D

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2009/mar/06/spinning-a-comeback/living/

mrt2
03-06-2009, 07:28 AM
Actually, for a short article, it covers the basics of the vinyl revival in a fair way, covering aspect of the revival like nostalgia, retro chic, punk and indie, and audiophile aspects of vinyl. Unlike some articles, it also makes clear that vinyl will never return to its former status as the principle music storage medium.

Badger
03-06-2009, 07:41 AM
Love the picture; probably going to make it harder for me to find good records at decent prices at Ed McKay's now.

Justen
03-06-2009, 09:07 AM
Nice article, and the Avett's got a good plug (great twang!).

I'm glad Ed McKay's started carrying vinyl!

wordherder62
03-06-2009, 09:20 AM
A million years ago (summer of 1985, actually) I was an intern in the newsroom of the Winston-Salem Journal. It's where my journalism career started. A good newsroom with a great focus on good writing and storytelling. I had several stories on the front page as an intern--quite a feat. The great thing about the Journal was that you could "write" a story on to the front page. A not-to-newsworthy story would go on the front page simply because you wrote it well. In fact, I had a very strange story about a sculpture installation at Winston-Salem State University that was being done for the features section (I was being loaned out for the day by the city desk) that the features editor came back to the city desk with and told them to run it on the front. I thought that was very cool.

I miss newspapers sometimes. Not enough to ever go back, but I do miss the newsroom and the smart, quick-minded people I got to work with. And a newsroom such as the Journal's was at that time was a fun place to work. I was always more of a "writer" than a "reporter" and that made me more comfortable there.

Good to see them here and take a moment to remember.

Richard

Tanker Desk
03-06-2009, 09:49 AM
its that a straw coming out of the ipod? I never knew you could drink from an ipod like a juice box