View Full Version : Jbl L60

mellowyellow
07-18-2004, 11:48 AM
Hi, everybody,

This is my first post here, so please allow me to thank you for the impressive quantity of information that I found so far in this forum.

I am searching for some information on the JBL L60 speakers. Just L60, not L60T. Are they considered as being very good, just good or plainly bad... please give me your impressions.

Thanks in advance!

Don C
07-18-2004, 01:11 PM
I have seen a lot of JBLs, but I have not heard of an L-60. Are you sure that it is noy L-50 or something. Tell us more about the speaker.

mellowyellow
07-18-2004, 01:46 PM
Here is a picture. Yes, it's 100% "L 60"!

- 4 Ohms;
- bi-wiring possible;
- made in Denmark;
- "L series" written on the front just below the top;
- classy look... ;)

I guess they were in production somewhere between 1990 and 1996.

I am just curious how they are regarded next to other speakers, which are much more discussed by audiophiles. To my inexperienced ears, they sound good, but I haven't had the opportunity to compare them side by side to other speakers.

botrytis
07-18-2004, 02:23 PM
Those look pretty cool!! How do they sound?

How much diid you pay for them, if I am not prying?

Dave

mellowyellow
07-18-2004, 02:34 PM
They sound very good to me, but I don't know if I would still love them if I would listen to them next to some other speakers which get many praises here... I was hoping that somebody will tell me how do they rate against other (better known) speakers.

They had a catalog price of about $2000 a pair back in 1996.

botrytis
07-18-2004, 02:40 PM
The most important thing here is - DO YOU LIKE THEM?? The heck with what anybody else thinks!! If you like them - THEY ARE GOLDEN!!!

This is what this board is all about - not making fun of your choices!

I was asking - 1. Did you get them used or new? 2. Compared to other speakers - how does the bass and/or treble sound? 3. Is that a metal tweeter?

Nice lookin' speakers!!!:thmbsp: :thmbsp: :thmbsp: :thmbsp:

Dave

mellowyellow
07-18-2004, 03:00 PM
> The most important thing here is - DO YOU LIKE THEM??

I DO like them, but I haven't had the opportunity to compare them to other speakers*.

> Did you get them used or new?

New.

> Compared to other speakers - how does the bass and/or treble sound?

See * ;)

> Is that a metal tweeter?

Titanium, IIRC (I can't find the documentation anymore). It's actually silver-coloured, not golden-coloured as it appears in the picture.

> Nice lookin' speakers!!!:thmbsp: :thmbsp: :thmbsp: :thmbsp:

Thanks! :D

Don C
07-18-2004, 03:42 PM
It doesnt look like this model was offered in the US, so it may be difficult to find anyone here who has heard thhem. They look nice.

mellowyellow
07-19-2004, 07:56 AM
My problem (well, not actually a problem, but I was just wondering...) is that when I went into an audio high-end shop and I talked to the owner about some systems he had on sale (I was interested in an amplifier) he seemed to say that JBLs are generally not really high end speakers, and that I should change both the amp and the speakers in order to get a better sound... might this bad opinion on JBL speakers be just his opinion, or it is an opinion widely spread among audiophiles?

He seemed to be convinced that JBLs do not belong to the same category as B&W, JMLab, Tannoy, Mission, J.M. Reynaud, Cabasse, Triangle etc. and that, for that level of price, I would have done better to choose something else.

He didn't listened to them and he did not know this exact model (L 60), but he seemed quite confident in what he was saying.

I did listen to some systems he had, but, you know, listening conditions were different and I do not consider packing my speakers and bring them to his auditorium for a close comparison to his other speakers.

Any comments? Thanks.

Fuzzy Lumpkins
07-19-2004, 08:09 AM
I'd steer clear of that store from now on in my opinion.

He states that your speakers are substandard without listening
to them?

He sounds like a close-minded snob to me.

It's been stated before in this thread, but if you enjoy the sound,
who cares what others think?

I personally think JBL's sound great even though I don't own any.

Jstas
07-19-2004, 01:09 PM
That's just flat out wrong. Just because JBL makes affordable speakers doesn't mean they are junk. They just have the enourmous backing of Harmon International behind them so they can make great speakers for an even better price.

JBL will hold it's own against the offerings of many "high-end" companies. They aren't the only ones to be discriminated against because of the brand name label.

Bottomline, who cares what the salesman thinks. He has an agenda, to sell you as much gear as he can. It's in his best interests to tell you that your gear is junk and then convince you that he has better stuff because of the name on the front. Overall, if it sounds good to you, that is the goal of it all. Maybe you'll hear something that sounds better one day and then you'll get the upgrade bug again but until then, your setup and gear is far from junk, no matter what anyone says.

Don C
07-19-2004, 02:08 PM
"might this bad opinion on JBL speakers be just his opinion, or it is an opinion widely spread among audiophiles?

This opinion is widely spread amongst audio salesmen who do not sell JBL. You need to remember that it is his job to sell something else to you. I have met plenty of audio salespeople who badmouth products that they do not sell. I avoid places that have salespeople who do that.

Wardsweb
07-19-2004, 02:16 PM
Case in point - JBL High End

Wardsweb
07-19-2004, 02:17 PM
Not to many of us can afford some of the JBL line

mellowyellow
07-19-2004, 02:57 PM
Got it!

Thanks. :D

Wardsweb
07-19-2004, 03:07 PM
I think it is just a case of education. I'm sure if the sales guy sold JBL, he would love to have sold you a pair of JBL speakers that cost in excess of $20,000.00

gonzothegreat
07-19-2004, 07:04 PM
Its BS like this that keeps me away from modern commercial hifi. Well, that and a total lack of kilobuck fundage. There may be some great new stuff out there (not that I'd know) but properly maintained classic gear (that cost just as much in vintage bucks) will hold its own against much of the new stuff.

Look at the threads comparing the beloved Sansui BA-5000 power amp against modern gear (I forget what brands. Maybe Krell?)

I agree 100% about brand name snobbery. If you had told me back in high school I'd be drooling over Pioneers and the like, I'd have asked what you were smoking in the boys room. Just because a mass marketer made the stuff, doesn't mean it can't sound good.

Bluelobster
07-19-2004, 07:16 PM
I have to agree that you should ditch that salesman. I run a pair of L200 monitors and I'm happy as a pig in a poke with them!

Bigyank
07-19-2004, 09:25 PM
I have a pair of S-38II's and are the best sounding small ofice speaker I have ever owned!

My 2 cents here!

Yank

LPD
07-19-2004, 09:33 PM
Here's a pic of my JBL L250's. Great sounding speaker...

http://members.shaw.ca/mbeka/JBL1.jpg

mellowyellow
07-23-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Giskard
The L60 is an International model running the 050Ti high frequency direct radiator and a pair of LF transducers with the second one operating only up to ~ 125 Hz.
Thanks! Does this mean that they are a model rather close to JBL's "top of the line" models... or not quite?

botrytis
07-23-2004, 07:01 PM
Most people really call it a 2 1/2 way style speaker and many other companyies do this. B&W, Monitor Audio, Paradigm, JM Labs, etc.

Dave