View Full Version : What are the top vintage Pioneer turntables?

ddarch
03-12-2009, 05:28 PM
I've used the PL-41 and the PL-12d. They were good, not great, mid-fi tables. I was wondering where those two models fall in the Pioneer line up, and what, if any, were better tables in the Pioneer line?

Dave

hakaplan
03-12-2009, 06:19 PM
It's not just an issue of where it was in the lineup, but what year. The PL-41 is from 1966, the 12D from 1972. To put these in perspective, they updated the PL-41 to the PL-41DC in 1972 and it sold for twice what the 12D did. But in general, especially as you go through the '70s, within each series the belt models were at the bottom, followed by direct drive, and then quartz when it was introduced. The specs increased going up the line, but often most models in the series shared the same tonearm. So the difference in sound quality wouldn't be as dramatic as you might expect.

Also you might see the PL-12D or any particular manual belt model as the lowest model, but that was only because it was manual. The PL-15D and PL-17D were the same, but higher in the series because they were semi- and full auto respectively.

IMO the arms and sonic character improved with time, and the best tts were the quartz, direct drive models from '76 through '79. PL-550, 570, 610, 630, 600. I know someone's going to mention the PLC-590, but that came without an arm.

zenith2134
03-12-2009, 06:25 PM
My vote goes for the PL-610. Not really my kind of TT but they sure look nice.

kcc123
03-12-2009, 07:15 PM
I think the top vintage Pioneer turntables should be the Exclusive P10 and P3 turntables.

rhiohki
03-12-2009, 07:29 PM
p3a

aldena007
03-13-2009, 03:07 PM
It is really hard to judge turntables over too long of a time span. The OEM's were killing themselves trying to attract buyers and the TT's were constantly "improved" I have several TT that are in the Pioneer line, but the one I use and really like is the lowly PL-7. I like it because it has one of my best cartridge/stylus combos and it sounds pretty good!!! It also came out in 1982 I believe. I have a PL-55DX that looks fantastic, but the way it is set up now it's only average. If you are asking about the best of OEM Pioneer TT/Cart/Styli setups------>That is really a study that might be fun, but I haven't heard them all. This is sorta like the Ford/Chevy/Dodge debate. It comes down to personal preference and too many variables.

similost
03-13-2009, 03:10 PM
This is the only definition for mid-fi out there in the world I can find...

Mid-Fi is an independent record label formed by the American rock and roll band The Supersuckers in 2001.

wordherder62
03-13-2009, 03:32 PM
This is the only definition for mid-fi out there in the world I can find...

Mid-Fi is an independent record label formed by the American rock and roll band The Supersuckers in 2001.

Of course, one could say that Billy Gibbons implied it with: "Hi-fo, lo-fi, no-fi any-fi is just fine with me ..."

Richard

hifi_nut
03-13-2009, 03:46 PM
The X-10 and PL-61, sold as a chassis units were great.

The PL-70 gets my vote as top of the tops, however.

similost
03-13-2009, 03:49 PM
I really like my PL-55dx

beej
03-13-2009, 03:57 PM
Recognizing I'll probably be expressing a minority view, I'll match my PL-9 ('81) against any of the popularly available Pioneer models. DD, Quartz and with a totally electronic control system that doesn't incur any of the speed issues of the other models in that series.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=75690&d=1201038425

birddog
03-13-2009, 06:50 PM
No votes for the PL-L1000? Gotta be in the top 10, if not top 5 maybe?

mrb3
03-13-2009, 08:21 PM
The "civilised" version of the PLC-590, the PL-630 is to consider too. All automatic or all manual modes, Direct Drive and Quartz.

Mine beats my Denon DCD-3520 cd player by a small margin... which means it's quite good ! Though I never had the chance to compare it to another Pioneer TT...

jdurbin1
03-13-2009, 08:43 PM
The PL-520 is a solid performer in the DD category... have owned three of them and always had a soft spot for them.

John

silver7t1
03-17-2009, 12:36 PM
I've got a PL-5 and a PL-S70 with staight tonearms. I don't remember what I paid for them and wonder if they're considered low/medium/top grade TTs? I am always amazed at the huge number of models Pioneer produced through the years !

slow_jazz
03-17-2009, 12:50 PM
I vote for the PL-550. Well built and heavy as hell...

Arkay
03-17-2009, 01:30 PM
I think the best ones probably rank this way (in descending order):

Exclusive P3a ( Almost certainly the absolute best TT Pioneer ever made. Japan-market only, massive and beautifully-veneered plinth, over-engineered "statement" turntable.)

Exclusive P10 ('Lightweight" version of the P3a, but still a complete 'beast' of a turntable!)

PL-L1 (Ultra-rare Japan-market only linear-tracking "statement" turntable. It was the prototype/predecessor to the more affordable PL-L1000)

PLC-590 (Sometimes written PL-C590, and part of the "Series 20" line-up. The only turntable Pioneer sold without a tonearm, so audiophiles could choose to mount their own (SME 3009 was recommended) although Pioneer also offered two possible tonearm choices for it.)

PL-630 (Similar to PL-C590 in many important respects, but fully automatic.)

PL-L1000 (Pioneer's more successful, if lighter-weight, successor to the PL-L1)

I've SEEN every one of these models, and own two of them (PL-L1 and PLC-590). There are pics and information on most (all?) of them on The Vintage Knob website.

gearhead
03-17-2009, 03:11 PM
this is the only definition for mid-fi out there in the world i can find...

Mid-fi is an independent record label formed by the american rock and roll band the supersuckers in 2001.

it's pretty good

wilkes85
03-17-2009, 04:22 PM
Vintage, you say?
Pioneer, you say?

...All of them.

Unlike Garrard, where the low end models are world class lemons with faulty motors (Mainly the model 3000, which was designed to break down, rather than to play records), even low end Pioneers will still give you excellent service.

theophile
03-17-2009, 06:49 PM
I think the best ones probably rank this way (in descending order):

Exclusive P3a ( Almost certainly the absolute best TT Pioneer ever made. Japan-market only, massive and beautifully-veneered plinth, over-engineered "statement" turntable.)

Exclusive P10 ('Lightweight" version of the P3a, but still a complete 'beast' of a turntable!)

PL-L1 (Ultra-rare Japan-market only linear-tracking "statement" turntable. It was the prototype/predecessor to the more affordable PL-L1000)

PLC-590 (Sometimes written PL-C590, and part of the "Series 20" line-up. The only turntable Pioneer sold without a tonearm, so audiophiles could choose to mount their own (SME 3009 was recommended) although Pioneer also offered two possible tonearm choices for it.)

PL-630 (Similar to PL-C590 in many important respects, but fully automatic.)

PL-L1000 (Pioneer's more successful, if lighter-weight, successor to the PL-L1)

I've SEEN every one of these models, and own two of them (PL-L1 and PLC-590). There are pics and information on most (all?) of them on The Vintage Knob website.
Correct but with one addendum.
The P3a was to the Exclusive line what the GT 2000x was to the Gigantic and Tremendous Line for Yamaha.A refinement of their Top Turntable(in Yamaha's case the GT 2000).
The P3a was a refinement of the Exclusive P3.

Similar to Yamaha's GTs,in that the P3a,P3 and P10 were never sold in Nth America,and rarely outside of Japan.Though apparently Europe may have seen a few of each model released(less than a dozen of each,possibly)

Arkay has possibly heard all of them(the models he posted about)and the Yamaha GTs.

I,and two other AKers(Badger and Mark.B) own GT 2000s.Badge and myself are in agreement that they are the best turntable we've heard.Mark hasn't used his yet.
The P3 is probably on a par with the GT 2000.The P3a is probably on a par with the GT 2000x.

The Vintage Knob has posted a group test of the 'Ultra Turntables'(of the era,not all-inclusive) from Japanese magazine Stereo Sound.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/MISCELLANEOUS/SS1980TT/SS1980TT.html

This should not be taken as the be all and end all test of Japanese Direct Drive turntables(nor the best of Japanese turntables,Belt or Direct Drive)because too many of the 'heavy hitters' are not included.

This was probably the best turntable of that era:

http://www.thevintageknob.org/THEVAULT1/SZ1/SZ1.html

There was one(supposedly) for sale on Audiogon (12 months ago?).Sold for $19,000 US.(Second-Hand) :smoke:

Edriz
03-17-2009, 06:56 PM
Jeez, I really like my lowly PL-200. But what about the 300, 400, 600

Old_Tech
07-21-2009, 08:11 PM
My boss has a Pioneer TT from 89-90 or so in the box said he will check the model # tonight. I might be able to snag it from him. Were there some decent models from that time?

Oh boy...

kermit z
07-21-2009, 08:31 PM
My boss has a Pioneer TT from 89-90 or so in the box said he will check the model # tonight. I might be able to snag it from him. Were there some decent models from that time?

Oh boy...

None that I can recall :( Remember, vinyl was on its way out so lots of the companies started pulling away. Have a look though, cuz ya never know :)

Old_Tech
07-21-2009, 08:37 PM
None that I can recall :( Remember, vinyl was on its way out so lots of the companies started pulling away. Have a look though, cuz ya never know :)

I know -Dadgummit!
Wish I knew more we'll see I guess.

larryderouin
07-21-2009, 09:31 PM
I've got a PL-200 and an Idler Drive PL-25.
My favorite is the '25.

For being an UNSPRUNG Idler the '25 is DAMN QUIET, and pretty unaffected by Low Freq resonance. So it Doesn't have pitch control, anti-skate, needle cleaners, brushes, or Auto Everything but the kitchen sink. It got a HEAVY ASS PLATTER decent tonearm, a V15-SERIESIII AND IT MAKES MUSIC.....and THAT GENTLEMEN is the BOTTOM LINE!!!

Larry

BrocLuno
07-21-2009, 11:15 PM
I see positive comments about the PL70 without arm. What about the PL71? Where does it fit into the pecking order based on those of you'all who have actually driven one?

Harvey/ Ga
07-22-2009, 12:27 AM
No votes for the PL-L1000? Gotta be in the top 10, if not top 5 maybe?

Got one!! Love it!!

Old_Tech
07-22-2009, 07:41 AM
Anyone know the models that were out those years -late eighties early nineties?

boreas
07-22-2009, 10:30 AM
Check out the AK Pioneer site. There's a sticky there for a Pioneer Component Database. You can find out when models were produced and what their original retail was.

John

hakaplan
07-22-2009, 10:38 AM
From 1986 to 1991: The PL-570 and 600 are not the high end s-arm models.

PL-570 (1986)
PL-555Z
PL-X55Z
PL-670
PL-333Z
PL-910
PL-L550
PL-223
PL-443
PL-333
PL-590
PL-Z92
PL-600 (1989)
PL-90
PL-225
PL-335
PL-203AZ
PL-445

And then PL-990 is the ultra-cheap piece of junk that came even later.

Beobloke
07-22-2009, 10:46 AM
The PL-707 is another model gaining respect from 'those who know' - I've certainly fancied one for a while.

Unlike Garrard, where the low end models are world class lemons with faulty motors (Mainly the model 3000, which was designed to break down, rather than to play records), even low end Pioneers will still give you excellent service.

He's off again!! :lmao:

Why don't you get RID of your 3000 if you hate it so much? Pass it onto someone who knows how to fix it and get it running properly!! :D

Old_Tech
07-22-2009, 11:11 AM
I was not aware of the sticky. Man they made alot of tables seems the fewer the better from a manufacturing standpoint. I have to bug our CTO today and see if he remembered to check that model number. Thanks Howard.

boreas
07-22-2009, 11:18 AM
Man they made slot of tables seems the fewer the better from a manufacturing standpoint.

Yeah, no wonder they never made a good table. :)

John

Arkay
07-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Correct but with one addendum.
The P3a was to the Exclusive line what the GT 2000x was to the Gigantic and Tremendous Line for Yamaha.A refinement of their Top Turntable(in Yamaha's case the GT 2000).
The P3a was a refinement of the Exclusive P3.

Similar to Yamaha's GTs,in that the P3a,P3 and P10 were never sold in Nth America,and rarely outside of Japan.Though apparently Europe may have seen a few of each model released(less than a dozen of each,possibly)

Arkay has possibly heard all of them(the models he posted about)and the Yamaha GTs.

I,and two other AKers(Badger and Mark.B) own GT 2000s.Badge and myself are in agreement that they are the best turntable we've heard.Mark hasn't used his yet.
The P3 is probably on a par with the GT 2000.The P3a is probably on a par with the GT 2000x.

The Vintage Knob has posted a group test of the 'Ultra Turntables'(of the era,not all-inclusive) from Japanese magazine Stereo Sound.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/MISCELLANEOUS/SS1980TT/SS1980TT.html

This should not be taken as the be all and end all test of Japanese Direct Drive turntables(nor the best of Japanese turntables,Belt or Direct Drive)because too many of the 'heavy hitters' are not included.

This was probably the best turntable of that era:

http://www.thevintageknob.org/THEVAULT1/SZ1/SZ1.html

There was one(supposedly) for sale on Audiogon (12 months ago?).Sold for $19,000 US.(Second-Hand) :smoke:

Of course, you are right about the P3; it slipped my mind at the time I was writing that post. There are two P3s in one shop here (last time I looked); in fact, it is the shop I posted about a while back, that was broken into and robbed. It's also a very fine TT, in comparison with almost anything... but a P3a (or a GT-2000)! :D

I have heard most of the turntables mentioned (a few I've only seen but not heard). The problem is, hearing them at different times, in different rooms, paired with different gear, playing different music (usually), makes meaningful comparisons difficult. I'd say that while if you A/B'd them, you'd find differences and might find a preference, it would be mostly a "different, not better" choice at this level, based on your personal listening preferences. Either a P3a OR a GT-2000(x) would give any audiophile seeking great sound, and not just snob appeal, a big grin!

I've never heard a GT-2000X, and can only imagine what that is like. I'm pretty sure I would like the sound a LOT, though! :yes: :D

And aaaah, the SZ-1 ... The stuff that dreams are made of, and wallets are drained by!

theophile
07-22-2009, 04:16 PM
Of course, you are right about the P3; it slipped my mind at the time I was writing that post. There are two P3s in one shop here (last time I looked); in fact, it is the shop I posted about a while back, that was broken into and robbed. It's also a very fine TT, in comparison with almost anything... but a P3a (or a GT-2000)! :D

I have heard most of the turntables mentioned (a few I've only seen but not heard). The problem is, hearing them at different times, in different rooms, paired with different gear, playing different music (usually), makes meaningful comparisons difficult. I'd say that while if you A/B'd them, you'd find differences and might find a preference, it would be mostly a "different, not better" choice at this level, based on your personal listening preferences. Either a P3a OR a GT-2000(x) would give any audiophile seeking great sound, and not just snob appeal, a big grin!

I've never heard a GT-2000X, and can only imagine what that is like. I'm pretty sure I would like the sound a LOT, though! :yes: :D

And aaaah, the SZ-1 ... The stuff that dreams are made of, and wallets are drained by!

There's a lot I could say about the GT 2000,but this isn't the thread for it.
I've been reading about aficionados who have been putting their Japanese Direct Drive motors in Slate or Multi-layered Plywood plinths.They have reported huge gains.
My feeling is that isolation platforms should be considered mandatory for any truly great un-suspended/suspensionless turntable,whether belt-drive or direct drive.
I've already stated in a thread about the GT 2000,that an isolation platform should be considered mandatory.The difference is astonishing precisely because of the sheer intrinsic capability of the turntable.
I wanted to mention this here on this thread,because the P3/P3a(and the P10?)have a spring suspension inbuilt.It is implemented in the worst possible way,with the mass sat on top of the springs.At least there is no belt to pull the suspension around.
If I had a P3/P3a,I'd disable the suspension using the transit bolts,and place the unsuspended P3/P3a atop a proper isolation platform.I reckon using one like that would impress even those who are familiar with the P3a sound.

Old_Tech
07-22-2009, 09:52 PM
I see positive comments about the PL70 without arm. What about the PL71? Where does it fit into the pecking order based on those of you'all who have actually driven one?

Wish I knew this too. See a nice one on the auction site right now. 2 bills though not sure if it is worth that but has a beautiful low mass graphite arm.

chicks
07-22-2009, 11:05 PM
Wish I knew this too. See a nice one on the auction site right now. 2 bills though not sure if it is worth that but has a beautiful low mass graphite arm.

They generally sell for $250-$300 with cart, though one just sold there recently for $50 BIN - must have gone in seconds.

Not sure where you see one with a graphite arm, though - the original arms are metal...

Here's one owner's opinion:

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showpost.php?p=784995&postcount=11

I have compared an un-modded Techy and an un-modded PL-71. The Pioneer pisses on it from such a great height it is amusing. I trust Gromits ears, so I accept modding and re-PSUing get the Techy pretty near. BUT an unmodded bog standard PL-71 is the best (most musical) turntable I have ever heard in my life, and I have owned at least 6 different belt drives including Linn and designed and manufacturered one. I have owned a rim-drive (Garrard 401), 4 different direct drives including one of the fave raves for top direct drive the Trio L-O7D, and I am certain none of them compares with the PL-71.

hakaplan
07-22-2009, 11:31 PM
I read that thread. That guy assumes that all quartz lock DDs sound like the Technics. I'm sure he's never heard the PL-550 and 570 and the successive Pioneer TOTL quartz models. Certainly he would have mentioned them if he had. Also interesting that he was banned from that board.

Regardless, I don't doubt the high quality of the PL-71.

chicks
07-22-2009, 11:51 PM
I read that thread. That guy assumes that all quartz lock DDs sound like the Technics. I'm sure he's never heard the PL-550 and 570 and the successive Pioneer TOTL quartz models. Certainly he would have mentioned them if he had. Also interesting that he was banned from that board.

Regardless, I don't doubt the high quality of the PL-71.

Yep, definitely need to read with more than a few grains of salt. The PL-71 held up pretty well in the second annual turntable "bake-off" vs. some much pricier decks, though:

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=66210

BrocLuno
07-23-2009, 12:14 AM
Interesting how he says to the effect that it was good for a couple of hundred dollar table, albeit with a posh cartridge. I've often said that a lot of what seem at first glance to be run of the mill tables, will actually carry a good cartridge maybe costing 2 or 3 times the tables initial cost. I think the Pink Fish comments sort of back that up :scratch2:

superdog
07-23-2009, 02:30 AM
How does the PL-41 rank in the scheme of things?

Arkay
07-23-2009, 03:49 AM
There's a lot I could say about the GT 2000,but this isn't the thread for it.
I've been reading about aficionados who have been putting their Japanese Direct Drive motors in Slate or Multi-layered Plywood plinths.They have reported huge gains.
My feeling is that isolation platforms should be considered mandatory for any truly great un-suspended/suspensionless turntable,whether belt-drive or direct drive.
I've already stated in a thread about the GT 2000,that an isolation platform should be considered mandatory.The difference is astonishing precisely because of the sheer intrinsic capability of the turntable.
I wanted to mention this here on this thread,because the P3/P3a(and the P10?)have a spring suspension inbuilt.It is implemented in the worst possible way,with the mass sat on top of the springs.At least there is no belt to pull the suspension around.
If I had a P3/P3a,I'd disable the suspension using the transit bolts,and place the unsuspended P3/P3a atop a proper isolation platform.I reckon using one like that would impress even those who are familiar with the P3a sound.

Interesting, and from what few things I've tried, I suspect you are right. I have examples of both types of tables, and will eventually experiment with this more rigorously, based on what you're saying. I tend to prefer suspension-less TTs, as the physics theoretically argues in favor of them being ultimately better (although much comes out in the real-world execution, which can be another story).

Incidentally, I'm still keeping my eyes peeled 'religiously' for another Minus K platform to show up in the scrap-metal recycling place. No luck so far, but you never know. Stranger lightning has occasionally struck twice, and if you don't look, you'll never see one! :D I also check the government surplus place when I can, as a lot of lab gear shows up there. It wouldn't surprise me to see one there, sooner or later, although then the price would be a somewhat higher. I've asked the guy there to keep an eye open for those (and extreme isolation transformers), and to call me if any show up. One day...

Old_Tech
07-23-2009, 07:51 AM

Fellas, I am so sorry on this. The Pioneer I was looking at online was a PL-7 not a PL-71.

The PL-7 was what I was wondering about it was a bit expensive although in beautiful condition. It had a Low Mass Graphite straight arm on it. Seemed like a really nice table.

Still waiting for my boss to report on the model he has stored away from 1990. :boring:

Old_Tech
07-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Fellas, I am so sorry on this. The Pioneer I was looking at online was a PL-7 not a PL-71.

The PL-7 was what I was wondering about it was a bit expensive although in beautiful condition. It had a Low Mass Graphite straight arm on it. Seemed like a really nice table.

Still waiting for my boss to report on the model he has stored away from 1990. :boring:

Have we any thoughts n the PL-7?

Thanks again!

Balifly
07-23-2009, 06:42 PM
I like the tonearm design of that series.:thmbsp:

beej
07-23-2009, 06:49 PM
I like the tonearm design of that series.:thmbsp:

I couldn't agree more. I've got every one in the series (PL-2, 4, 5, 7, 8 and 9) and the tonearm is indeed very nice. I like the PL-7 a lot. Nice turntable.

RobinSoCal
09-13-2009, 07:24 AM
Just bought two TT's today. Pioneer PL-50 and a Pioneer PL-L1000. Never seen a TT built like the L1000. WOW! Even without listening to it, My vote goes for the Pl-L1000.

Harvey/ Ga
09-13-2009, 08:33 PM
Just bought two TT's today. Pioneer PL-50 and a Pioneer PL-L1000. Never seen a TT built like the L1000. WOW! Even without listening to it, My vote goes for the Pl-L1000.

The PL-L1000 is my favorite TT, along with the Yamaha PX-3. It has the original PC-600 cartridge that's a bit better then the old Grado G2 in the PX-3.
It's a real neat TT...remember to get it perfectly level, and keep stray paper clips away. Twice the arm magnet picked up one from the table top and dragged it along the bottop of the case. Very annoying, and hard to diagnose. :yes:

Old_Tech
09-13-2009, 08:51 PM
I couldn't agree more. I've got every one in the series (PL-2, 4, 5, 7, 8 and 9) and the tonearm is indeed very nice. I like the PL-7 a lot. Nice turntable.

I am loving it! Just got mine yesterday the sound is awesome and yes that arm is a charm! I am going to try and find a PL-9 sometime.

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu242/rw_designs/Turntables/DSC05344.jpg

Duane
09-14-2009, 08:59 AM
Ron

Of the two carts you have in the above pic ( DL160 /At440MLA) which sound best to you?

Old_Tech
09-14-2009, 10:40 AM
Duane,
Niether are broken in fully only 20-30 hrs. I like the 440 more than the Denon but it could be the tables and systems they are both on. The 440 has better detail I think but the Denon is close behind it.

Duane
09-14-2009, 11:40 AM
Thanks Ron. I tell ya, it sure is tough to pick out a cartridge that you won't have to regret choosing. There have been many comments on the Denon and other MC carts but I keep leaning towards the MM choices. The 440MLa is one of them. When owners actually state their opinions,especially here on this forum,one takes notice. Some really knowlegeable people who are willing to help.Can't thank them all enough.

I am trying to make an informed decision on a new cartridge,and I really believe I've narrowed it down.But it doesn't hurt to keep an open mind until the plug is pulled. I have a PL-707 that will be getting the upgrade and it's probably fairly close to yours. The headshell looks identical,at least from the pic. The low mass of the arm is a good mate for one of the AT carts. My choice right now happens to be the 150MLX.

Old_Tech
09-14-2009, 12:35 PM
Thanks Ron. I tell ya, it sure is tough to pick out a cartridge that you won't have to regret choosing. There have been many comments on the Denon and other MC carts but I keep leaning towards the MM choices. The 440MLa is one of them. When owners actually state their opinions,especially here on this forum,one takes notice. Some really knowlegeable people who are willing to help.Can't thank them all enough.

I am trying to make an informed decision on a new cartridge,and I really believe I've narrowed it down.But it doesn't hurt to keep an open mind until the plug is pulled. I have a PL-707 that will be getting the upgrade and it's probably fairly close to yours. The headshell looks identical,at least from the pic. The low mass of the arm is a good mate for one of the AT carts. My choice right now happens to be the 150MLX.

Duane,
I do not think you can go wrong with the 150. I am not familiar with the PL-707 but I am sure you will want a low mass arm for that cartridge. There is such a fine line between low mass-medium mass and what works with what. It's a tough call. It is for everyone.

Are you talking about the headshell in my signature? That is a Stanton H4S with the Denon DL160. The cartridge on the Pioneer PL-7 is an M75 EDII. Right now my 440mla is on my Thorens TD145 and sounds beautiful but the arm may be a bit heavy for it. If I had to do it again I would place that high compliance cartridge on a low mass arm. :thmbsp:

Edriz
09-25-2009, 12:38 PM
Just wondering what anyone with a PL-7 thinks of that Turntable? I'm seriously thinking about getting one. Is $150 too much for a restored PL-7?? and I'm most likely going to be using my Shure cartridges that i have now which includes the V15 Type IV with the Jico SAS and the M97xE. I also Have the M75 J Type II with the HE stylus that I use for older worn, scratch LP's that I or the wife has been finding at thrift stores.

Also, ya think a MC cart can be used with this particular Tonearm?
Thanks for the help guys.

Old_Tech
09-25-2009, 01:30 PM
Just wondering what anyone with a PL-7 thinks of that Turntable? I'm seriously thinking about getting one. Is $150 too much for a restored PL-7?? and I'm most likely going to be using my Shure cartridges that i have now which includes the V15 Type IV with the Jico SAS and the M97xE. I also Have the M75 J Type II with the HE stylus that I use for older worn, scratch LP's that I or the wife has been finding at thrift stores.

Seems a bit expensive for a PL-7. Those of us who have them love them. :yes:

See this thread...
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=249765

Noborigama
09-25-2009, 02:57 PM
Pl-630

Arkay
09-25-2009, 03:06 PM

I'll make one suggestion: Don't cast your final vote until you've seen it's big brother, the Pl-L1! It makes the PL-L1000 seem slightly under-built, a bit more toy-like. :D

Balifly
09-25-2009, 06:21 PM
I'll make one suggestion: Don't cast your final vote until you've seen it's big brother, the Pl-L1! It makes the PL-L1000 seem slightly under-built, a bit more toy-like. :D

Arkay,

That's really cruel, you did not even leave us a link!!!:D
http://www.hifido.co.jp/KW/G/P0/A10/E/0-10/S0/C09-43492-19636-00/

Lastplace
09-25-2009, 06:30 PM
The PL-L1000 is one big & heavy sweet table :thmbsp:

http://www.thevintageknob.org/PIONEER/PLL1000/PLL1000.html

Tarl Of Gor
09-25-2009, 07:12 PM
That PL-5 sure is purty! Makes the PL-630 I just got not so purty.

ShawneeSlim
09-25-2009, 11:45 PM

I have a PL-7, and like it very much. It's a low hour deck with an old Acutex
T4P cartridge and adaptor. Still makes beautiful music...

Harvey/ Ga
09-26-2009, 01:58 PM

I guess I'll just hafta be happy with my "little" PL-L1000 and PX-3. I'll never be able to find (or afford :tears:) the PL1-1 or PX-2 :sigh:

Edriz
11-19-2009, 07:12 PM
I wish someone here would have mentioned something more about a PL-600. I'm thinking about getting one and would like to know what others think of them. I passed pn the PL-7

gary7
11-19-2009, 08:58 PM
Has anyone seen the Pioneer SL-1800 currently on ebay. Sharp lookin'.

MWalt
11-20-2009, 07:12 AM
How does the PL-41 rank in the scheme of things?

I'm curious about this myself. :scratch2:

ukfan4sure!
11-20-2009, 10:17 AM
Recognizing I'll probably be expressing a minority view, I'll match my PL-9 ('81) against any of the popularly available Pioneer models. DD, Quartz and with a totally electronic control system that doesn't incur any of the speed issues of the other models in that series.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=75690&d=1201038425

I've got one with a bad stylus. Never have bothered to even get a new one because it would cost more than the $8 I paid for it at a local flea market.....
You're making me want to check it out now...

beej
11-20-2009, 10:22 AM
I've got one with a bad stylus. Never have bothered to even get a new one because it would cost more than the $8 I paid for it at a local flea market.....
You're making me want to check it out now...

If it is indeed a PL-9 and you don't want it, I'll be happy to take it off your hands for at least what you paid for it plus shipping.

jnoyes
11-20-2009, 10:53 AM
No love for the PL-570 here? Pretty well built TT with the classic wood based look and all the right features. Howard, isn't that your main TT?

Jon

ukfan4sure!
11-20-2009, 11:11 AM
No love for the PL-570 here? Pretty well built TT with the classic wood based look and all the right features. Howard, isn't that your main TT?

Jon

"Wood based look" is why I like the PL-71. It is indeed real walnut veneer! I always hated the peeling wood veneer "vinyl" used on these nice units. Sort of cheaps them down....

jnoyes
11-20-2009, 11:22 AM
"Wood based look" is why I like the PL-71. It is indeed real walnut veneer! I always hated the peeling wood veneer "vinyl" used on these nice units. Sort of cheaps them down....

I recover mine in wood veneer. Either walnut or Brazilian rosewood. The vinyl is cheap crap, although if you can find one that isn't peeling they look pretty good. Other than that they are quite nice TTs.

Jon

Balifly
11-20-2009, 12:05 PM
There was a recent post about a Pioneer PL-570 being sold for 600.00 plus on EBay.
There was one in pristine condition locally for less than half of that price, but it was still way out of my range.
The closest thing is the PL-550 (manual) in non peeling condition that I found locally in very reasonable price.:thmbsp:
Still looking for a PL-570!:music:

Edriz
11-20-2009, 01:35 PM
Yeah, just this week a 570 sold for $610. You got to be kidding. Many brand new TT's can be had for that kind of money.
Oh, yeah, just 2 days later another 570 sold for just around $240 or so and it looked just as nice