View Full Version : Best Stylus for Stanton 681?

fiddlefye
04-01-2009, 10:56 AM
I got a couple of Stanton 681's on BIC tables recently and the cartridges sound very good. One needs an immediate stylus transplant (bent cantilever) and the other should probably get the replaced for safety's sake. Can anyone suggest which is the best-sounding stylus to get (if there's a choice) and where to get one? The original was a D-65 and I've seen currently for sale D-6800 EEE Mk III, D-5127, D-6827 and D-827 in the same basic style. I'm guessing that the D-6800 would be appropriate and is the top dog, but I want to be certain before I lay down any palookas on anything.

Feedback deeply appreciated!

ke4jhj
04-01-2009, 11:03 AM
Yes, the D6800 EEE Mk III is the current stylus in production by Stanton for the 681. www.kabusa.com., www.garage-a-records.com, lpgear.com and other sites carries the stylus.

The D5127, D6827, and D827 are all 2.7 mil conical styli for 78 rpm records. The D6827 is for the 681, the D5127 is for the 500, and the D827 is for the 881 cartridge.

whell
04-01-2009, 11:21 AM
I really like the Shibata stylus I got from LP Gear. The same stylus is available from Jico. Its a bit pricey - $79.95 - but it is very close in sound and performance to the original Stereohedron stylus from Stanton.

ke4jhj
04-01-2009, 11:31 AM
I really like the Shibata stylus I got from LP Gear. The same stylus is available from Jico. Its a bit pricey - $79.95 - but it is very close in sound and performance to the original Stereohedron stylus from Stanton.

The Jico option is really worth considering. Actually, it is only a few dollars more than the Stanton D6800EEE MkIII.

fiddlefye
04-01-2009, 11:54 AM
Glad to have the information. It's a bit confusing when you look at the listings online as they often don't tell you which models are for which purpose. I'll do a bit of looking about and order something. I'm liking what I've heard of the 681 so far, very warm and natural. Anyone know how the D-6800 relates to the D-65 I have currently?

thedelihaus
04-01-2009, 01:15 PM
I just picked up a 681 as well- glad to read these good tips.

Can anyone specify what the differences are between a shibata, a jico, and others?

I appreciate your enlightenment....

fiddlefye
04-01-2009, 01:28 PM
I just picked up a 681 as well- glad to read these good tips.

Can anyone specify what the differences are between a shibata, a jico, and others?

I appreciate your enlightenment....I'd appreciate that as well. Is a Shibata similar to the Shure Microridge or Jico SAS or is it a different critter altogether?

ke4jhj
04-01-2009, 01:38 PM
The Shibata is similar in shape to the line contact, microridge, microline and stereohedron shapes.

Jico is a Japanese stylus manufacturer whose aftermarket styli are highly regarded here.

I'm not sure what shape and size your D65 stylus is but the D6800 EEE MkIII is a .3 x .7 mil elliptical.
The shibata stylus is much narrower front to rear but is shaped to have a larger contact area from top to bottom of the groove walls. This allows better music detail derived from the grooves and the larger contact area reduces groove wear and also helps to ride over or straddle wear areas already existing on the groove walls. So a shibata produces better sound, wears the record less and can produce better sound from records with existing wear.

fiddlefye
04-01-2009, 01:50 PM
The Shibata is similar in shape to the line contact, microridge, microline and stereohedron shapes.

Jico is a Japanese stylus manufacturer whose aftermarket styli are highly regarded here.

I'm not sure what shape and size your D65 stylus is but the D6800 EEE MkIII is a .3 x .7 mil elliptical.
The shibata stylus is much narrower front to rear but is shaped to have a larger contact area from top to bottom of the groove walls. This allows better music detail derived from the grooves and the larger contact area reduces groove wear and also helps to ride over or straddle wear areas already existing on the groove walls. So a shibata produces better sound, wears the record less and can produce better sound from records with existing wear.That sounds like a win/win situation all around, especially for those of us who play mostly ancient vinyl. I have to say that I'm liking the 981 very much. I've never owned a Stanton before and this cart at least is very nice. I like the fact that (at least on the BIC 980) it sounds very warm and sweet but without sacrificing detail in the process. I've got Segovia on playing some fine Spanish music at the moment and it's really got me pulled in nicely. I'm thinking that both the cart and the table are keepers. My dear spouse will not be amused......*sigh*

Stanton681EEES
04-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Do you want the honest truth of the newer styluses I've tried none come close to the Older Stanton ones which is a shame so if you can find a NOS older Stanton stylus go for it.
Good Luck.

SA-708
04-01-2009, 04:41 PM
Would my Pickering XL-28U (currently using a DTL2 stylus but came originally with a DTL1) use the same stylii as the Stanton 680/681 carts? I suspect that is the case, but would like some confirmation.

hakaplan
04-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Glad to have the information. It's a bit confusing when you look at the listings online as they often don't tell you which models are for which purpose. I'll do a bit of looking about and order something. I'm liking what I've heard of the 681 so far, very warm and natural. Anyone know how the D-6800 relates to the D-65 I have currently?
The D65 was the predecessor stylus to the D680. Both were made for the 680 series cartridges. Your cartridge will also accept any D6800 variant (anything that would fit the 681 series).

whell
04-01-2009, 10:31 PM
Do you want the honest truth of the newer styluses I've tried none come close to the Older Stanton ones which is a shame so if you can find a NOS older Stanton stylus go for it.
Good Luck.

I don't disagree that many of the original Stanton styli were very good, and some - such as the Stereohedrons - were terrific. If you've not tried the Shibata that is available for the 681, and you've got it in your budget to do so, I would really recommend picking one up. If you have, and its laying in a drawer someplace unused and unwanted, I'll lighten your load! Send it my way! :thmbsp:

Hifirob2
04-01-2009, 11:54 PM
I don't disagree that many of the original Stanton styli were very good, and some - such as the Stereohedrons - were terrific. If you've not tried the Shibata that is available for the 681, and you've got it in your budget to do so, I would really recommend picking one up. If you have, and its laying in a drawer someplace unused and unwanted, I'll lighten your load! Send it my way! :thmbsp:

+1 on that! The Shibata on my 681 sounds better than anything I've tried. Well worth the extra $$. It has made many of my played-to-death records I bought new sound new again.

Rob

Stanton681EEES
04-02-2009, 04:40 PM
The SQ stylus isn't bad either if you can find one

ETI_5000
04-02-2009, 11:53 PM
I'd appreciate that as well. Is a Shibata similar to the Shure Microridge or Jico SAS or is it a different critter altogether?

It's the same shape - essentially a line contact - as the Shure Microridge, AT Microline, and Jico SAS, when looked at from the front. However, they are much more complex shapes, being very thin from front to back, because they have a very thin ridge attached to the groove contacting part of the stylus. That allows them to be very thin from front to back, but with strength so they don't flex.

I've attached a photo of Shure's microridge stylus from the V15VxMR so you can see what the ridge looks like - the SAS and microline look the same, but name it differently.

The Shibata is actually the first of the "line contact" styli developed. It was introduced by JVC in the 1970's for CD-4 quadraphonic playback, because it allowed playback of frequencies up to 50kHz - JVC's CD-4 system required 45kHz to carry the two rear channels. It was found that as well as better frequency response, the shape caused less stylus and record wear, so other manufacturers introduced their versions, all very similar to the Shibata. Those versions included Stanton's stereohedron and quadrahedron, Shure's hyperelliptical, Dr Weinz' parabolic, and Bang & Olufsen's Pramanik. The microline, microridge and SAS are developments from those line contact styli, but because they are much more complex to produce, are much costlier. However, because they are so thin from front to back, they can reach better into complex high frequencies in the record grooves, playing them with lower distortion.

-Don

Sam Cogley
04-03-2009, 03:43 PM
Would my Pickering XL-28U (currently using a DTL2 stylus but came originally with a DTL1) use the same stylii as the Stanton 680/681 carts? I suspect that is the case, but would like some confirmation.

I'm wondering the same thing about the DTL1. I just picked up a cheap Pickering TL-1 cartridge on the auction site, it has that stylus installed.

SA-708
04-03-2009, 06:20 PM
You outbid my minimum bid on that TL-1. I was as interested in the two AT stylus guards as the cartridge. I did win another auction for four similar cartridges (two Pickering, two Stanton; two p-mount, two standard mount) so I shouldn't complain.

Sam Cogley
04-04-2009, 02:55 PM
Just saw that auction, looks like a pretty good deal.

I'm new to the Pickering/Stanton game. It looks like their styli are very interchangeable between models. Does anyone have a stylus/cartridge compatability guide?

SA-708
04-04-2009, 03:10 PM
Best I have found is at http://www.kabusa.com/STANTONX.HTM but it does not include the Pickering DTL stylii. My best guess is that they belong in the second group down (the Stanton 680/681 family) but it is still just an educated guess.

Sam Cogley
04-05-2009, 02:01 AM
Well...we're going to find out. Just bought a 681 on an AT headshell with a NOS 681EE stylus.

Stanton681EEES
04-05-2009, 07:37 AM
Well...we're going to find out. Just bought a 681 on an AT headshell with a NOS 681EE stylus.

Hopefully the stylus is a genuine one, I got one a couple of months ago with low hours and as I've stated before to bad they don't make em like they use to.
I tried it on both my EE and EEE and they sounded wonderful took me back to why I bought mine new in 76.

whell
04-05-2009, 08:32 AM
I saw that auction. Looks like you got it for a decent price. Listen to it and tell us what you think.

For what its worth, that AT is a nice headshell, but it might be a tad heavy for the Stanton. You might consider a trip to Guitar Center, or on line, to pick up a Stanton headshell, assuming your turntable accepts a "standard mount" headshell. This would actually do two things for you:

- it would give you a bit lighter headshell, which would favor the higher compliance of the Stanton, and;
- it would give you the correct mounting hardware for the Stanton cartridge, which comes packaged with the Stanton headshell. The picture in the auction may be deceiving, but I didn't see the cartridge mounted to the AT headshell with the correct hardware. Sometimes, without the correct mounting hardware, the cartridge is not fully secured to the headshell.

If there is a little blue plastic strip that the mounting screws run through - between the cartridge and the headshell - then you've got the correct mounting hardware for mounting the Stanton to this particular headshell, and you're good to go with the AT headshell (the weight of the headshell isn't super-duper critical - moving the Stanton to a lighter headshell would be more like a "tweak").

Looking forward to your feedback!

Sam Cogley
04-05-2009, 01:31 PM
I have some lighter headshells that I could use on the 681, though using a Stanton headshell sounds like a good idea. I plan to give it a tryout on my Sony PS-X70 (actually, both the Stanton and Pickering will get a run on there, I have a Sony headshell with a T4P adapter in place).

Now the challenge is figuring out which carts I'm going to keep, and which ones I can let go on a few TTs I need to sell.

SA-708
04-07-2009, 06:20 PM
My lot of Stanton/Pickering cartridges arrived yesterday. The Pickering p-mount (unmarked, but looks like a newer TL series with the glossy black finish) and the Stanton L727E (a p-mount version of the 680) both work and sound great using a DTL2 stylus. I'll have to drag a 1/2 inch mount turntable out of storage before I can test-drive the Stanton 680EE with a DTL2 but it looks like it will work too.

I'm looking at a NOS Stanton D74S stylus (originally built for the L747S I'd guess) to use with these carts, and also considering options for a stylus with the brush.

Sam Cogley
04-07-2009, 06:40 PM
Still waiting on mine.

burnsyaz
04-07-2009, 11:36 PM
Hey Stanton have you tried both the Jico and the Shibata? If so which did you like best?

rooster18
04-08-2009, 12:40 AM
I bought the LPGear shibata stylus for mine, and I'm happy enough with it that I've already bought one extra, and every couple months, I'm gonna buy another one until I get about a dozen or so stored up for the day they stop making them. I'm very happy with the sound of my cartridge, TT, and system in general (and I'll be happier when I get my subwoofer amp!).

YMMV.

rooster.

Stanton681EEES
04-08-2009, 02:16 AM
Hey Stanton have you tried both the Jico and the Shibata? If so which did you like best?

No I've tried or used the following in my mid 70's EEE.
EEES EEE SQ an older slightly used EE and a generic that was given to me and it sucked.

Sam Cogley
07-04-2009, 02:13 PM

Finally tried this out today - the Pickering stylus does indeed fit in the 681 body and vice-versa. The tube is the same diameter and length for both. I didn't feel like messing with my tracking weight, so I haven't given it a test for functionality yet.

SA-708
07-04-2009, 02:55 PM
I now have a D74S (came with a NOS Stanton L747S) and two DTL2 stylii (of the "tall" variety). I've tested both out on several Pickering TL series and Stanton L7x7 series p-mount cartridges, and all combinations worked.

I still have not gotten out my SL-1700Mk2 to test these stylii on my Stanton 680EE body. I have no reason to expect that they won't. I've got Monday off with both kids at daycare, which may be my opportunity.