View Full Version : Cizek KA-1 Classic minimonitors?

AlphaLimaXray
07-30-2004, 01:21 AM
There's a pair of them with pretty torn up drivers on sale on eBoy right now. The cabs have beautiful woodwork. I think it uses Peerless drivers. I've read a lot of good things about the Cizek model 2's. Are these little guys any good? Enough to try and restore 'em? (I've got a sub, so bass reproduction isn't that much of a concern.)

The only references I've seen to the KA-1's are on this familiar page (http://www.arsenal.net/speakers/cizek/cizek.htm).

Thanks for any info.;)

Cheers.
:beerchug:
-AlphaLima

B3Nut
07-30-2004, 07:41 AM
The tweets look mismatched, but if the woofs are working and just need foam I know PE sells that Peerless tweeter. The cabs look to be in nice shape, and I like the finish on those. Might be a nice pair of monitors when finished.

TP

mhardy6647
07-30-2004, 07:57 AM
The Cizek speakers were excellent sounding. Roy Cizek, the designer, was blind, so he likely had an interesting perspective to speaker design.

I think the Peerless silk dome tweeter is no longer in production. Polk Audio also used that tweeter (KO10 DT, IIRC) and can almost certainly supply a replacement that's 'close enough'.

DanTana
07-30-2004, 10:09 AM
I love mini-monitor speakers, nothing comes close to producing detail and the subtle sounds quite as well. They won't "crank" quite as loud as the bigger boys, or produce bass that will rattle the walls, but what they do well, the critical midrange and treble, nothing comes close, and that's the area your ears are most sensitive.

paolippe
12-24-2005, 04:29 PM
The KA1 were mini-monitors of great sound, made by Roy Cizek in a cabinet of KOA Hawaiian wood. People who have them think they are the best mini ever produced; tomorrow I send a pictures of them to you.
Happy Christmas from Italy
Paolo

Damage
12-24-2005, 09:56 PM
I would like to put a pair up against my Visonik David 602s and seen how they compare.

paolippe
12-25-2005, 02:11 PM
Here You can see a fine pic of The rare and Famous KA1 Classic By Roy Cizek
All The Best
Paolo :thmbsp:

tubeboob
10-06-2013, 12:12 PM
That is about the sweetest mini-monitor that I have ever seen.

I have never listened to a pair, but I have the Model Ones, and they are truly audiophile in sound quality.

I would love to have a pair of KA-1's in my listening space.

Chers

Northwinds
10-06-2013, 12:35 PM
I have a pair of Cizek Model III's I picked up yesterday, woofs need to be refoamed but here are the tweeters, definitely silk dome types. Everything works including the Q switches

http://i.imgur.com/rTcddoL.jpg

I found a reference to them using Theil tweeters in the Cizek's on Audio Review but it's looking like they are indeed Peerless. They seem to have a larger metal plate then the Polk ones I have had in the past???

Mine seem to have the same finish as yours but from what I read, they only used veneers. Not sure about yours but very few speakers are made of solid exotic wood but I am no expert with in this. I did make a set of solid brazilian cherry cabs for my SM-120s but never got around to loading and finishing them, they weigh over 100lbs each

JKent
10-07-2013, 01:36 PM
Those look like the same Peerless 810665 used in my Cizek KA-1s. Polk used them too, but with a hole poked in the dome. Midwest speaker sells a copy on ebay. But if your originals work, great!