View Full Version : oh oh, another speaker

Saratoga48
04-09-2009, 07:46 AM
Should be a fun Saturday, I ran across this on craigslist "free" section. I am picking it up Saturday.

This is the ad the builders daughter was going to run before she decided to post the free ad.

1 University Kwikits KEN-15

New $248 in 1958, original owner, “expensive goodies”: C-15W woofer, H-600 midrange, HF206 hypersonic tweeter, T-30 driver, N-3 Acoustic Baton crossover @700. All original manuals, catalogs, plus GE Engineer analysis of resistances and responses & notes, personal letter to manufacturer 1969. 35.25”x29”x18.5” Solid Walnut.

http://www.classicaudio.ru/images/oldpages/image/university_kwikit.jpg

gearhound
04-09-2009, 08:16 AM
Can't beat THAT for free can you?
Find a cheap, little mono tube amp.....and you're good to go!

Steve

audiofred
04-09-2009, 08:24 AM
WOW You just can't beat FREE!!
Heathkit had a similar speaker that had a 15" in it and a separate speaker box for the mid and tweeter, I think. Looks like it's designed to place in a corner.

CraigList is amazing
Fred

Saratoga48
04-09-2009, 08:27 AM
Can't beat THAT for free can you?
Find a cheap, little mono tube amp.....and you're good to go!

Steve

I have a few to try out with this one. Heathkit A9c, Heathkit W4 am. Bogen DB-115 and a Grommes 56 Pg that I have been trying to mate up for about 5 years. I have a feeling the W4 will win the job but all will get auditioned.

I am still looking for info on the speaker. Just found this tidbit.

"a University C 15W woofer. The speaker is shown on the right. For comparison purposes a Klipsch K 33 (1982) is shown on the left. The C 15W incorporates a 6lb 4oz Alnico V magnet, total motor assy 17 lbs.
At that time only the Tannoy 15" dual concentric contained more Alnico V magnet material than the C 15W. The dual 50 watt voice coils are aligned by two spiders. The frame is cast Al and the overall weight of the speaker is 27 lbs. Some "vintage" EV woofers were heavier but the weight was do to iron not magnet. Fs around 25cps. Designed for theater applications the unit was also found in the famous "Classic" low-boy/high-boy exponential horn developed by Abraham Cohen at University.

StarMover
04-09-2009, 11:18 AM
I guess they are all University drivers. Was this a kit build?

Redikilowatt
04-09-2009, 11:49 AM
Neat find and solves a problem for me :thmbsp:
I have a University Companionette S-1 that had feet/base removed. Several folks suggested feet were on the bottom but the screw holes led me to think something different. From your photo it's obvious "runners" were used . . . much more compatible stylewise!

The S-1 has one C8W 8" woofer and one "gold" 4401 horn tweeter.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=99&pictureid=559

Thanks for solving the riddle :yes:

Roger

Saratoga48
04-09-2009, 02:26 PM
I have a University Companionette S-1 that had feet/base removed. Several folks suggested feet were on the bottom but the screw holes led me to think something different. From your photo it's obvious "runners" were used . . . much more compatible stylewise!

Roger

Here are a couple of web sites
http://www.classicaudio.ru/images/oldpages/image/university_kwikit.jpg

http://www.classicaudio.ru/images/oldpages/image/university_range2.jpg

SixCats!
04-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Hi Sar,

Whoa, nice find ! I love old Corner Horn Speakers. My most recent find is a lightly used original owner (circa 1953'ish) Klipsch Short Horn in beautiful condition (aka "The Rebel") with a single rare fifteen inch JENSEN type "H" Concentric Coaxial. It sounds lovely with my HEATHKIT A-9C Amp. Roger,
ah ha, I have another Corner Horn with the EXACT same grill cloth as found on your Companionette. I am now confident that this Corner Horn is indeed a UNIVERSITY Corner Horn. It is very well built (heavy duty) and has a single 12" UNIVERSITY 6201 Coaxial which sounds wonderful! Sar, best of luck to you with your new Corner Horn. Please do let us know your thoughts on it's performance.

Regards,
SixCats! aka Tom

tensleep
04-09-2009, 07:06 PM
You are going to have some fun, especially for free! Like SixCats, I found a Klipsch-licences Rebel shorthorn corner cabinet last summer. It has University and Electro Voice components. My woofer is identical to yours. In fact, I have two of these woofers. They sound great!

Good luck and congratulations.

Redikilowatt
04-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Hi Sar,

Whoa, nice find ! I love old Corner Horn Speakers. My most recent find is a lightly used original owner (circa 1953'ish) Klipsch Short Horn in beautiful condition (aka "The Rebel") with a single rare fifteen inch JENSEN type "H" Concentric Coaxial. It sounds lovely with my HEATHKIT A-9C Amp. Roger,
ah ha, I have another Corner Horn with the EXACT same grill cloth as found on your Companionette. I am now confident that this Corner Horn is indeed a UNIVERSITY Corner Horn. It is very well built (heavy duty) and has a single 12" UNIVERSITY 6201 Coaxial which sounds wonderful! Sar, best of luck to you with your new Corner Horn. Please do let us know your thoughts on it's performance.

Regards,
SixCats! aka Tom

I've only briefly tested this one. I'm fearful of blowing the speakers as I don't have any tube amps. HomerJSimpson posted a corner speaker cab a while back that has the same grill cloth. IIRC he was trying to give away the cabinet . . . no speakers inside. But I think it was similar to the OP post above.

Here's an another ad:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=99&pictureid=1751Thanks for the link Saratoga48 :thmbsp:

Thanks for the links Saratoga48 :thmbsp:

Roger

Rolf Zetterberg
04-10-2009, 03:46 AM
From the Audio Handbook 1954:

Saratoga48
04-10-2009, 09:02 AM
From the Audio Handbook 1954:

Thanks for the information. Looking forward to picking this up tomorrow.

geiman
04-11-2009, 06:25 AM
Here are my university speaks

Saratoga48
04-11-2009, 03:14 PM
Picked up the speaker today, it sounds as good as it looks. I hooked it up for a trial run with an old mono Stromberg Carlson TT. and a A9c Heathkit.

highping
04-11-2009, 04:43 PM
Hell of a deal! :thmbsp:

Congrats. :)

thefragger
04-11-2009, 06:16 PM
LOL! That's a great letter!

AR's (terrible)

Brilliant find!

dokblues
04-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Congrats thats one heck of a speaker!

Saratoga48
04-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Congrats thats one heck of a speaker!

Thanks, now I have to open the wallet for a good mono cart. I've been waiting to fall into one for a while now, but I need to put this speaker to good use.

Justen
04-11-2009, 07:56 PM
I have that exact speaker, including the brochure. As far as I know it was simply a kit speaker, that you loaded your own drivers into. Mine has an Altec 604 in it.

Nice find.

Saratoga48
04-11-2009, 08:25 PM
I have that exact speaker, including the brochure. As far as I know it was simply a kit speaker, that you loaded your own drivers into. Mine has an Altec 604 in it.

Nice find.

I have the University brochure that came with this, and the Kwikits were listed on the back page of the speaker catalog. This one has the c-15 woofer

Sir.Byrd
04-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Just one?

Justen
04-11-2009, 10:57 PM
Just one?

Stereo was a new fangled thing in 1958...

bobrown14
04-12-2009, 10:09 AM

Roger

Hey wow - I just got one of the speakers off Ebay for $70. I haven't hooked it up yet tho.

What does yours sound like?

Cheers,

Bob

Saratoga48
04-12-2009, 10:34 AM
Stereo was a new fangled thing in 1958...

Yes and according to the letter an unfortunate one.

Redikilowatt
04-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Wow, that is great looking speaker Saratoga48 :thmbsp:
And the price is right!

Hey wow - I just got one of the speakers off Ebay for $70. I haven't hooked it up yet tho.

What does yours sound like?

Cheers,

Bob

Bob, the Companiotte is in beautiful condition, but I only tested it once. Really nice sound for the size. Don't have any tube amps and I'm wary about blowing the speakers. If you would like more info, feel free to PM me or start another thread. I don't want to hijack the OP :no:

Roger

Saratoga48
04-13-2009, 07:31 AM
Hi Sar,

Regards,
SixCats! aka Tom

Tom
I was just looking through some old posts about wharfedale w-90s, and saw that you had a set of them along with the University. The craigslist free ad I picked up the University from also had a set of the 90s that she had already given away. Yesterday she emailed me and said the Wharfedales were available again so I am picking them up this morning.

tensleep
04-13-2009, 10:43 AM
Tom
I was just looking through some old posts about wharfedale w-90s, and saw that you had a set of them along with the University. The craigslist free ad I picked up the University from also had a set of the 90s that she had already given away. Yesterday she emailed me and said the Wharfedales were available again so I am picking them up this morning.

You are living right! Quick, do something nice for somebody else.

Saratoga48
04-19-2009, 03:35 PM
You are living right! Quick, do something nice for somebody else.

I did.
I brought the Wharfedales over to my sister's this morning. She has been a full and part time Jazz musician/singer for 35 years, and is loving the sound of the Wharfedales.

johnda
04-19-2009, 11:54 PM
Really cool!Good luck with it!

tensleep
04-20-2009, 02:24 PM
I did.
I brought the Wharfedales over to my sister's this morning. She has been a full and part time Jazz musician/singer for 35 years, and is loving the sound of the Wharfedales.

That is fantastic! Thanks for sharing that. I think the gift of music is a wonderful thing.